It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 pm

<

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:28 am 

Monday, February 27, 2017

PM

Run - 11th St. and Loop - 26:50
---

Great run today. No walking again. Slow run felt much smoother and actually like I was just running slow as opposed to gasping and plodding. I was able to mix in a few harder pushes and use the slower running for recovery. Pleased with progress. I've got a long way to go, but I feel like I am at the point where I will start being able to put in some work.

---

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:22 am 

????

I am missing a workout or two...

Tue 2/28/17 - KB work
Wed 3/1/17 - 11th street and loop untimed

Sat 3/4/17 - Down river to station 1, back - no walking
This is big. Great run. Took it slow. Down river is a low decline, back is a slight incline. Took it slow and finished it really strong. No walking. This is a major step on the path back to running. Just being able to jog this is great for me.

Mon 3/6/17 - 11th St. and Loop - Harder run. My base pace was not "slow" but a quicker pace. On the way back there were several long stretches of harder runs with the quicker pace as a break. First time where I felt in shape enough to try to run this one hard. Legs are getting back. Lungs and heart are catching up.

NOTE - not to fool anyone....I am not running 20 miles and I don't look like a track star.

Last edited by newguy on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 am 

Tue 3/7/17 - Kettlebell work 24 kg 1 arm c&p ladders
Thu 3/9/17 - 11th St. and Loop run - starting to work on increasing the pace.
Fri 3/10/17 - treadmill run 2.5 miles at 5.3

---

Last edited by newguy on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:56 am 

Sat 3/11/17 - KB Work (24kg 1 arm clean and press ladders); 10 minutes barefoot shadowboxing
Sun 3/12/17 - house to river trail, up river to SG st home loop
----

Things are progressing well. The up river to home trail is almost 4 miles and I made it.

Go me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:43 am 

Quote:
Things are progressing well. The up river to home trail is almost 4 miles and I made it.
Go me.
:supz:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:57 am 

Tues 3/14/17 - untimed run 11th st. and loop - my base pace is increasing as well as my ability to push running when "tired." Most of this was at a nice quick jog with a couple of really long runs.

This was tough today because my "slow" pace is naturally becoming more quick.

Which is good.

The plan is working....and that is always nice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:41 am 

Wed 3/15/17 - at gym treadmill run - 3 miles at 5.3.

--

This was a bit tough, both on the heart/lungs as well as the legs. And the will too. Had to dig in to get mile 3.

Not bad considering my first run at the gym on January 18 was:
Quote:
gym treadmill - 1 lap walk (3.2), two laps run (5.2), one walk, one run, one walk, one run, one walk.
4 walking laps, 4 running laps, 2 straight.
Going from two laps at at 5.2 to a full three miles at 5.3 in about two months is not bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:27 pm 

Sat 3/18/17 - untimed run - home river, down river to 1st bridge and back. 4 miles
----
Nice run. Slow and easy is starting to feel slow and easy. On the street home I was able to pick up the pace fairly easy and push the last leg.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:57 pm 

Saturday April 8, 2017

Ran the local 5K I've been training for in 33 minutes. Very pleased!
--
Haven't been updating the log lately. Been busy.

Still consistently running twice a week. The past runs (since I last updated actually) have been run/walk. Running long and then taking 60 step walking breaks at predetermined, natural spots. (Road crossing, bridge, route change, whatever.)

All of this has been leading up to this 5K, my first real test/race/goal run since getting back into it. This is a huge local 5K. 5500+ runners. Fairly tough course with several longer uphill rises. When I first started back, my goal for this race was to just finish without walking. Then as training got along, I started aiming for under 36:00.

Training went better than I planned and I hit 33:00. Very happy with this.

Going to keep going at it. Weight is down. I feel good. Goal is to continue to run twice a week and supplement with 1 arm long cycle.

For the next phase, my regular weekly run (11th and loop) is being increased to 11th and loop/loop. Going to spend a few weeks building my distance runs up into the 5 mile range.

I don't have a next race on the calendar yet. I'll look for something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 pm 

Continuing the progress....

Going to try to get back to updating this daily. For whatever it is worth, I feel it keeps me more consistent with some of the daily things.
--
Sat 4/15 - 3.5 mile distance run (ridiculously good run for me. Taking walk breaks at pre-determined points now. Felt fresh and good. Was able to do a long, fast, push on the home stretch.)
Sun 4/16 - KB LC work 16kg - 20:00 work - 4:00 work/1:00 rest
Mon 4/17 - off (10,000 steps)
Tue 4/18 - 11th and loop-loop - hard run - GREAT run. I pushed this and actually felt fast.
Wed 4/19 - 35:00 SLOW MAFF jog (120-140 HRbpm) Had a bit of trouble keeping the HR up!
-----
A few notes......
between now and whenever I am going to increase the KB work into the 32-40 minute range with the 4 minutes on, 1 minute off cycle. When I get there, I will cycle back to a 6 on/1 off schedule...and keep progressing until I am at 10 on 1 off. Then it will be time to increase weight. Frequency here is 1 to however many times I can each week. Right now this is just a supplement.

The weekend run is run with some walk breaks. The goal here is to increase distance each week. (clearly one each weekend. This is my long run).

The 11th and loop/loop is an increase in distance (one extra loop) with the idea of pushing it hard. This should be a hard run. (once a week unless I replacing with a gym treadmill run.)

When I can (it might not be every week) a nice MAFF run. This is simply to get in an extra session and naturally increase frequency from always 2, to 3 times each week. The goal of this extra session is to simply run/jog as slow as needed to get the HR to 120 bpm....but not exceed 140 bpm. Only goal here is to add a bit of time/distance/frequency to up the volume.

Cool thing - today for the first time in however long I can remember - instead of needing to to work to keep HR BELOW 140.....I actually had to work to keep it above 120. Several times I had to actively push the jog harder because the HR dropped to sub 120.

For me this was awesome. It has been longer than I can remember that I could jog without the HR spiking and I needed to walk.
---
Plan from here through July:
Run ALWAYS twice each week - 1 long on weekend, on hard during week (either treadmill or 11th loop/loop)
When practical - add 1 MAFF run (slow, HR 120, max 140) (based on logistics, choose KB over MAFF run.)
KB work - 1 arm LC to supplement, 4 on, 1 off, increase time, when ready increase to 6 on 1 off.
---
I should do a test 5K in July. If I can find something, I might do a fun 10k instead.
--
From here to July is one block. After, I would like to find something to train for in late Oct..or Nov/Dec.

Goal now is to build those "long" run distances each week and add a MAFF run whenever I can.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 pm 

Thu 4/20: KB work, 1 arm LC 16 kg - 4:00 on, 1 off x 6 (24 working minutes.)
Fri 4/21 -5 mile run
--

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:36 pm 

Sat 4/22/17

KB work, 1 arm LC, 16kg - 4:00 on, 1:00 off x 6 (24 working minutes)
---

I'll be out of town for a week. Will be focusing on driving up my step count while away. I'll post, but hopefully easily breaking 20k each day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

While out of town, step count never dropped below 15k, with a high of 23k.

Fri 4/28 - 16kg long cycle switch on the minute, 6:00 on/1:00 off * 3; DB curls
Sat 4/29 - 3.5 mile run
Sun 4/30 - 16 kg long cycle switch on the minute, 6:00 on/1:00 off *3, 4:00 * 1; Goblet squats, DB curls.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:31 am 

Mon 5/1 - 1.5 hour walk
Tue 5/2 - hard run, 11th and loop/loop
--
I've been running an 11th and loop. I added the second loop. Before I was taking this run as a fairly easy run. Now, this next phase, I am converting it to a hard run. Before i just wanted to get through it. I feel I've got the endurance now to run it slowly without much problem. So I'm starting to focus on harder pushes through the run. Picking up pace, accelerating, jogging out being tired until the street break, etc. I guess a more "fartlek" approach, but because of the streets, loop start, and things like that it is sort of a consistent interval run. I know starting to jog slow until the park. Then from the park, push it, trying to keep the pace hard, until the first light. That type of thing.

Three months in with the running.

Feeling fairly confident that come July I'm going to run a test 5k somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:55 pm 

Wed 5/3 - KB work, 1 arm long cycle, 20kg, 16kg
Sat 5/6 - KB work, 1 arm long cycle 20kg (back did not feel right, stopped early and stretched.)
Sun 5/7 - 4 mile run, pushing pace
Mon 5/8 - light DB presses, 16kg swings 7 sets of 10 (kept it light, back felt fine)
Tue 5/9 - 11th and loop/loop. Hard run. Pushed pace and ran faster more than slow.
--
Tweaked back with KB work on Sat. Feeling like it's time to switch it up a bit. Going to spend a little time doing some presses and swings.

I've added in hindu squats. Not sure if it is coincidence, but the knees soreness from running is gone.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:10 pm 

Thu 5/11 - DB presses, KB swings
Fri 5/12 - 45 minute walk
Sat 5/13 - 6.5 mile race/run
--
The sat 6.5 mile was a local race/run/walk. It starts at the library and runs up to a local trail, then up the mountains to the falls, and then back.

This was really hard. I did not anticipate how hard running up to a mountain is, let alone running up the mountain. I kept up well at the start, but the time I got to the mountain I was trashed. Spent most of the trail walking up.

One the way back I light jogged, controlled for speed going down the mountain. Once I was out of that, hard ran the rest of the way back. Again, I did not account for how hard running downhill can be.

In the end finished in around 1 hr 25 minutes.

I will not do this one again. Did not enjoy it at all.