IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:23 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 am 

Can a 50 year old IT nerd couch potato, who has almost never spent any time under a lifting bar, get fit & strong?

Start: 220 or 225#, soft and fat. Not quite Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons (but I can see there from here), more like suburban soccer dad.

Goals

Overarching
  • Be able to run around & play with my son in 10 years (he's 7 now)
  • Meet & play with grandkids, if and when
  • Be less of a sloppy fat fuck
  • Comfortably go up & down stairs, with laundry basket or trash bags or whatever. ADL.
Second tier
  • Get back to working out with my karate organization (maybe test for second-degree some day??)
Intermediate and Assistive
  • Run a mile (maybe enter a 5k someday??)
  • Be able to do some unassisted pull-ups
  • Join a judo class, learn some stuff (maybe earn at least one promotion??)
  • Hit the "novice" strength standards on the dead, squat, bench and overhead press.
  • Lose "some" weight –
"Some"?
I'd like to get under 210; I think my doc would like it if I got under 205 (hell, probably 200).
Reluctant to make this a hard "goal", bc I think it might be incompatible with gaining strength. I mean, not right away: I'm not exactly getting huge right now. I'm currently so untrained that I can probably improve in every direction for a while, both getting stronger and losing weight. But at some point I will have to make choices.
The vague goal is to get trimmer / leaner. Not sure how to state it more measurably. Maybe something like: get under 210, *UNLESS* get bitten by the lifting bug and radically change body comp to pack on muscle. It won't be a "fail" if my pants waist size gets a little smaller and my lifts and running go up, and the triglycerides improve; while the number on the scale doesn't actually go down much. That would be a success, not a fail.

Off we go!

Post subject: Re: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:43 am 

Sunday 11/13

Squat 65 fr/bk 5+5
Plank 2 x 45secs
Bench 65# 5+5
Row 100# 5+5

Holy shit I can't squat. I thought I was hitting it deep, and then looked in the mirror and I was parallel, MAYBE. Stepped away between sets and got down low while holding onto the rack for support. Was able to get down low with the front squats. I really would prefer to do back squats and work on my hamstrings / glutes, don't want to hit my quads so hard with the front squats. Will try again next time.

Bench was much easier than I expected. Started with an empty bar, and that was a joke so added 2 tens. Honestly that was too easy too, but I don't want to fuck myself up on the very first day.

Did the row on the machine that you sit on, with your chest against the cushion. There's a free weight version of the row, I'll try that next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 am 

Monday 11/14

Went to karate. Taught kids class, hung around for adult class. Sat like a lump and talked to M (the instructor) for almost half an hour. But then finally walked thru a couple forms. "Walk" being the operative word. Chinte not so bad. Did not remember all of Bassai! Embarrassing. M walked me thru Empi, and the fun of that form started to come back to me. Weird how little a push was needed, to start sticking that front kick again. Remembered where to go next in every sequence, enough to initiate the move, but not what the actual move was. M said in the middle, "You remember more of this than you think." Nice to know there's a little bit of muscle memory in there somewhere, waiting to be brought back to life.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:48 am 

Tuesday 11/15

Dead 95# 5+5
Ab wheel from knees 5+5
Overhead press 65# 5+5
Lat pull-down 8? 5+5
Calf raise +135 5+%

The "?" on the lat pull-down machine reflects the weird labeling on that machine. Could be 80 lbs? 85, but the number wore off?
The other machine at the gym is more clearly labelled – it has a 70 and an 85 and other 15-lb increments. I'll use that one in the future

The dead was super easy.

The ab wheel was not as humiliating as I expected. I was able to do a little bit here. Better form and range of motion than I expected. Good start to work up from.

Overhead press harder than expected, but I'm in the right weight range.
Hmm, maybe I did start too high here. If I hit my peak and have to back off the weight to start another cycle, where do I drop back to? Hmm, maybe just multiple 8 or 10 workouts by 5# and drop back to there?

The calf raise was a last minute add. I was at the gym and feeling great, like I wanted to do more, but didn't want to add a "big lift" to a program that was pretty well defined. Calf raises are interesting, because honestly they're pretty low effort, but I remember back when I was in my early 20s and did them at the gym, they had a huge impact on my sparring. Increased my mobility a lot, made me more able to charge explosively. So what the hell. I put 135# on the calf raise machine, sat on it, and then was like why can I barely move this thing? Took me a while to realize that it was my bodyweight PLUS 135. Duh. I don't like the range of motion on this machine. It's hard to even get into it to initially raise the weight; and then on the eccentric the machine stops me before I can get my heels down LOW. Next time I'll try the leg press machine, move my feet down until my heels are off the edge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 am 

Thursday 11/17

Squeezed in this workout while the boy was at music class. The gym is pretty close to his class; but I *ALSO* stopped at the pet food store, bought stuff + quizzed lady there about some stuff. Changing clothes + waiting my turn in the squat rack really set me on edge. Made it back only a minute or two after his class let out, but way too hectic for my peace of mind.

*MAYBE* this schedule will be doable in future, but will likely have to decouple the pet food errand from music class. Can't do that AND the gym trip.

Squat 75# front 5+5
Plank 2 x 40secs
Bench 70# 5+5
Row 80, 100 5+5

Wow, I really can't back squat. Just falling over backwards. (Also don't forget the embarassment of losing the weights. Use the damn pins.)
Front was ok.
Might be ankle mobility? Esp in the right ankle. Did I ever complete the rehab from the sprain/break? Really feel it there. I don't want to just do unloaded squats to open up the mobility, because I only really have the balance problem with the bar on my back.
For now, I guess front squats with load, and back squats with an empty bar. Or hell, maybe just unloaded squats (after the front's) to work on ROM?

Really felt the planks in my lower abs. Much more than earlier in the week.

Bench still easy.

I think it's a mistake to do these rows with elbows low and close to body. I think I need to do them high, with my elbows wide. That makes them a better reciprocal for the bench. Likely means I will have to lower the weight a fair amount.

Found some strength standards, for example here:
http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifti ... dards.html

Wow, that's sobering. I put as a goal hitting the "novice" strength standards. I have a lot of work to do to get up to the "untrained" standards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:50 am 

Friday 11/18

Goddam I feel amazing. Hungry as shit, though. I want to eat everything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:51 am 

Saturday 11/19

Didn't "do" anything, but went and observed the judo class I've been thinking about joining. One older guy whom I vaguely remember from the Aikido class here, back in the '80s(!!). The studio smells like old sweat. The former teacher is retired – which makes sense, dude's in his 80s now. The current lead instructor was out of town, so the students were just informally working on stuff. Nice mix of guys, all of them within 10 or 15 yrs of my age, most of them close enough to my size. One white belt, a couple black belts. I could work here, I think. Would like to see this class function with their actual instructor – will drop in next week – but feeling very positive about it.

Dropped into the weight room here. I like the squat rack here better than the other gym. Did not see an ab wheel. But those are different days anyway – maybe it makes sense to come here for squats.

Oh yeah, the jump stretch band arrived. Thanks, PL54!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:52 am 

Monday 11/21

This workout should have been yesterday, but between the Ravens game and helping out grandma with yardwork, ran out of time. That actually worked out, since farmer-carrying those bags of yard debris up the hill made me glad I hadn't done deads earlier.

Dead 105# 5+5
Ab wheel from knees 5+5
Overhead press 70/65 5+5
Lat pulldown 85# 5+5
Tried YTWL with band
Calf raise 270 8+6

Fuck, the ab wheel almost killed me this time. Feeling it very hard in lower ab. This is what I expected it to be last week. Lowered myself slowly all the way to floor on the last rep both sets. So I guess I had control enough to do that.

The Jump stretch mini is too much resistance for me! Can't do the damn YTWL. Turns it into a strength move (real effort), rather than the prehab it's supposed to be. Maybe lie down on a bench and use 5 (or 1!) lb weights?? Fuck it today. I'll see if they make an even lighter band.

I don't like this leg press machine, for calf raises. There's a weird plate below the platform, which keeps me from moving my feet as far down as I want. They have a different leg press machine; will try that one next time. (a chick was on it today)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:54 am 

Tuesday 11/22

(No workout today)

They *do* make a weaker band. Ordered it.

I re-read the relevant stuff from Pavel's PTTP. I had mis-remembered the second set of five: you're supposed to go DOWN 10%, not up 10%! Well, I feel better about not increasing the weight on my second set.

The cycling stuff is more forgiving than I had remembered. It's ok to do 4 reps or even step back in the cycle. End the cycle when you can only do 2 or 3 reps. He gives a nice guideline for how far back to drop when you end a cycle. He says an absolute minium of 8 workouts; that a cycle should be 8 to 16 workouts long. I'll drop back 12 workouts when I end my first cycle, and see how that works out for me.

One thing, Pavel has you lifting 4 or 5 days a week. I'm going 3 times. But Pavel's plan is to only do two lifts: I'm doing 4 each trip to the gym. Also I'm 50. So fuck that. I'll stick with 3x per week for a while, and see how I feel. Got to establish some kind of routine and create some basis where success can happen, before messing around with different stuff. I was so damn raring to go to go to the gym today: let's just build on that.

Pavel also points out that a novice only starts to get capable at the basic lifts after about 6 weeks. And that's ALSO when a beginner starts to get impatient and wants to change programs. Well, that's a useful lesson. Might take me longer than 6 wks to establish a baseline of competence, since I'm doing fewer workouts per week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:56 am 

Wednesday 11/23

Squat 80,70 frt/bck 5+5
Plank 2 x 45secs
Bench 75,70# 5+5
Row 60,70 5+5

Did back squats! Front first, then reduced the weight and did back. Couple key differences. One, I used a slighty wider stance, nowhere close to sumo, just a little more than shoulder width, and turned toes a little outward. No problem from my ankle. I got down pretty low, not ass to grass but definitely butt below the knees. I should be able to get deeper I think, now that I can do it.

I think the biggest difference was that I wasn't getting under the bar correctly before, and this time I did. Went to the gym with the better squat rack, the one I'm more confident in. This time I faced the bar, dipped forward under it, and stood up with the weight over me. That other damn squat rack, I had so little confidence in it, I wasn't willing to back away from the racked position with the weight. Instead, I backed up to the weight, and tried to position it correctly, and then walked forward with the weight. I think I was just carrying the weight behind my back. It was light enough that I could do it, but it would tip me backward when I tried to squat. Today I got right under it and stood up to the bar, and it found a natural place. It was higher on me than it is on Alan Thrall in his squat vid; but hell, I'm not built like Alan Thrall. If I eventually build more beef in the shoulders, then maybe the bar will need to sit behind a bit more, but for now this is right.

Exciting.

Switched to a wide elbow row, and reduced the weight to match. This is the right move for what I want, the exact reciprocal for the bench. Really hit the area between my shoulder blades. I wonder about the stance here. Starting in almost a deadlift position, then hinging at hips more to get close to horizontal. Can I continue to handle that posture, as the weight gets heavier? Glad I'm not doing these same day as deads.

Wonder if I continue to do calf raises, should I also do a "pull" of the foot upward toward the shin, with resistance of the jump stretch band? Cory Everson used to recommend that exercise, 20 or more years ago, as a preventative for shin splints. Fits in with my "reciprocal" idea, and might also do some good toward my ankle mobility, which might help my squat. Although after today maybe I'm not as worried about ankle mobility re: the squat as before.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:57 am 

Friday 11/25

Dead (straight) 115/105 5+5
Ab wheel (knees)
OHP 75/70 5+3 felt weak, not sure I could finish next rep
Pulldown 90/85 5+5
Calf Raise 280 6+6

Serious case of Not Fucking Feeling It today. Napped all day, put off going to gym, even dawdled when I got there, stopping at water fountain etc before finally getting into weight room.

Lifts felt ok, except the overhead. It's possible I may have been cheating before, leaning back just slightly and getting upper chest muscles involved. Tried to be stricter – that may be the source of the "weakness". Or maybe I was just weak today.

Shifted to more of a straight-leg DL after re-reading the Pavel, compared to the Alan Thrall-ish DL I had been doing. Liked the straighter leg more, feel like it targeted what I want to target. Will need to nail down what I'm doing before the weights get heavy.

Better form on the Ab wheel than I've had before.

The other leg press machine is perfect for the calf raises.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:58 am 

Saturday 11/26

Judo class!

Loved it. Teacher was super patient and detail-oriented. Other classes I've been to, there hasn't been much of an intro, you sort of work on the throw of the day. This guy made me do lots of ukemi, and actually paid attention to it and had me change a few things. It's been 20 years since I've been taught anything about falling! Progressed to footwork on ippon sionage (sp?) and ogoshi (sp?). Sweated my balls off.

Noticed again my leg strength deficiency when trying to bend knees for hip throws – well, that's why we're squatting. Also shoulder flexibility when wrapping my arm around uke for the ogoshi – I'm doing it wrong, but I also need to increase shoulder mobility.

Just a goddam great experience. Excited to join this group.

Later in the day shoulders very tight, did some stretching for them.

Last edited by JimZipCode on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:59 am 

Sunday 11/27

Squat 85,75 bk/frt 5+5
Plank 2 x 50,45 secs
Bench 85,80# 5+5
Row 60,70 5+5

A little stiff in the morning, expected a tough day with the lifts, but no problem. In and out. Did back squats with the heavier weight! Better depth than the other day (still not quite ATG).

Plank very solid, no pain or stress.

Switched to doing row w weight on the floor, which makes more sense. Slight change in form.

Later in the day did some stretching: shoulders, hamstrings

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 am 

Monday 11/28

Very, very happy this was an off day. Got tighter and stiffer as the day went on.
Theoretically co-taught kids karate class, but was almost completely inactive as the sub mostly ran the show. Walked thru empi one time before leaving, just to say I did something, that's it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 am 

Tuesday 11/29

Deadlift 125/115 5+5
Ab Wheel (knees) 5+5
Overhead 80/70 3+4
Pulldown 100/90 5+5
Calf raise 290/280 5+5

Really stiff in my left lower back and butt today. Aggravated by a morning sitting on conference calls. At one point while on a call, it hurt even to straighten my legs. Decided it was just muscle soreness, went to gym.
Despite the drama, no issues at all with dead. Although for the first time I felt it was a weight that I couldn't just do a million of. Might be getting close to the weight I should have started this cycle with.

Best form yet on the ab wheel. I'm almost doing these legitimately, the way they're supposed to look. I mean, not quite. But getting there.

Almost at my limit with the overhead. Somewhat surprising, cuz I remember pressing the 20kg kettlebell with each arm, although that was a few years ago. Not sure if I should try one more bump in weight, or just end the cycle now and drop back down. (Down to what? 40? Hell, the empty bar is 45. If I use 12 workouts x 5 lbs to determine the weight to drop back to, that would have me doing overhead presses with 2 10-lb dumbbells!)

Oh, the jumpstretch mini that's too strong for me to do YTWLs with, is perfect for a "foot pull toward shin", the reciprocal move from a calf raise.

EDIT - The jumpstretch micro arrived this evening! I'll hit YTWLs next trip.
Boris, I tried that shoulder/scap complex from your vid. Worked great, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:09 am 

Thursday 12/1

3/4 mile jog/skip/walk

5+ hours later:

Squat 90,80 bk 5+5
Plank 2 × 35,50 secs
Bench 90,80 5+5
Row 75,70 5+5
YTWL 3,5,4

Before lifting got into an unweighted squat position, using the rack for support, as a stretch. Nailed back squats both sets, ATG. I was in the gym with the "bad" squat rack today. Didn't even think about it, just addressed the bar, got under it and did my work.

Had wondered if the earlier running would hurt the squat. No negative effect I noticed there: it may have even helped, despite the long break between. Oddly, I feel like the jogging hurt me in the plank. Is a 3/4 mile job an ab workout? Maybe the skipping? More prepared for it on the second one, did fine.

The JumpStretch micro is perfect for the YTWL. Did an erratic number of sets: just felt like stopping in the middle, was suddenly done. Shoulders feel good now though. Need to remember to re-watch some vids on it, before next trip to gym.

Three weeks of weightlifting in the books!

Last edited by JimZipCode on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:21 am 
Sergeant Commanding

I have been thinking about taking judo classes as soon as I get my hernia fixed.Will follow your journal,interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:57 pm 

Thanks for the kind reception. This is an intimidating place for someone with a 100# deadlift to post a training log. Everyone, including you, is SO much stronger.

I didn't mention above, but the instructor didn't want me to throw or get thrown in that first class. I worked with a couple guys on the footwork to those 2 throws, to the point where either they had me up on their hip or I had one of them up on my hip, but no throw. One of the limitations is that I didn't have a gi. The thrower can use the gi, toward the end of the throw, to pull UP on the sleeve or lapel or whatever, to reduce the impact that the throwee takes on the mat. Especially with a beginner. The instructor didn't want me taking any throws, when I had no gi for partner to use to help control how hard I went down. It's another indication of how patient & detail-oriented he seemed.

I guess that means no throws for me again this week. Just more ukemi and footwork.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:31 pm 

Saturday 12/3

Judo class!

I expected to do the same stuff as last week, and boy was I wrong. We worked on ne-waza(sp?), which is evidently Judo for "grappling". Instructor had the upper belts working on a thing that started from guard, where partner tries to straighten up a little, and you sort of control him with one foot on his hip and the other on his bicep. Then he had me work on three basic pins. Their names all ended in "katame" or "gatame". The first one was the side or scarf hold (kesa-something-kateme), which I'd seen before. The second was one where you are 90 degrees across partner's body (yoko-shi-something-katame). The third is where you are "north" of partner, coming down over his head and shoulders, lying on his chest and controlling his body.

Instructor did a great job managing the presence of different belt levels in class. This maybe is a skill that you don't appreciate if you haven't taught a martial arts class. He had one raw beginner in sweat pants and T-shirt (myself); one white belt in gi who was physically very strong and rough-&-tumble – he might be a LEO; three lower-belts; and 2 or 3 black belts (not counting the instructor). Instructor paired off the loose-cannon white belt with his biggest & strongest (and youngest) black belt. He let the 2 older black belts play with each other. The three lower belts partnered each other, but instructor peeled off one of them to partner me, and he would rotate them. So each lower belt spent about a third of class time stuck with me; but they got 2/3 of the practice time on the thing the rest of the class was working on, and they didn't miss a rotation – every time instructor showed something new, the guy stuck with me got a chance to rotate in on that and practice it too. Meanwhile I got an appropriate-skill level matchup and I constantly had a partner, and I worked my ass off. I admire how effortlessly the instructor ran this.

Instructor had me work on transitioning from one pin to the other. Once I had those, then he taught me one or two counters for the first one (scarf). I practiced those for a bit – you can escape out of scarf and put partner into it, then he escapes and puts you back in it, and basically flow back and forth on that until you're ready to hurl. Intructor later taught me a counter from the yoshi one, which I only somewhat remember. Never got to the third one.

Last 15 mins of class were spent on "randori". For me, that was working with one of my partners from a kneeling position, where one of us tries to pin the other, and if I get pinned I try to counter. The last 5 mins of class had me sitting in a corner like a wet noodle, panting, completely drenched in sweat, while my poor partner waited to rotate in with someone who had the stamina to continue.

I had no idea Judo had SO MUCH grappling in it. I knew that BJJ evolved out of Judo; and I've always been aware that there were chokes & strangles in Judo. But I didn't know there was so much on-the-ground stuff in Judo already, for BJJ to evolve from. That's exciting. I was primarily interested in the Judo to round out my karate, really get some depth and knowledge and practice to improve the throwing stuff we do. To also get some grappling out of this too, is kind of mind blowing. Getting even more bang-for-the-buck from this art than I anticipated.

This class destroyed me. Interestingly, it was not really my wind that gave out during class, when I had to stop and rest. My heart & lungs were hammering, but I felt good getting to that level of exertion. But my legs and arms and abs felt like they simply could not do another thing. Just nothing left in any of those muscles.

My abs were UNBELIEVABLY sore for the rest of the day, and even on into the night while I was trying to sleep. The upper abs, right under the floating ribs. Felt like I had broken a rib on each side. I have never had that area hurt so much in my life. Every movement hurt. Passed out for a 2-hour nap a little while after I got home: walked gingerly for the rest of the evening. Tomorrow is deadlift and ab wheel day: I am terrified.

But holy shit, what a tremendous class.

EDIT – Oh, I forgot to mention. I wore the skin off the side of my big toe, on both feet, right at the knuckle. I must have been scraping the side of my toes across the mat as I moved, left and right, to hold some of those pins. On both feet it looks like a blister popped. An odd thing to happen. No big deal, but a little irritating in shoes the next day.

Last edited by JimZipCode on Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:49 pm 

Sunday 12/4

Deadlift 135/120 5+5
Ab wheel (knees) 5+5
overhead 30/30 5+5
pulldown 105/90 5+5
YTWL with 3# dumpbell, 3x4
calf raise 290/270 5+5

Was fine today, yesterday's soreness mostly gone in the morning. Best form on ab wheel yet. Kept butt in line with thighs & torso, and got decent ROM on the reps.

Oh, did something incredibly stupid on the first set of deads. Was careful with foot depth when I addresses the bar, but didn't make sure I was in the center before lifting, so the weight was uneven when I stood up. Rather than put it down, I sort of bounced it while standing, and slide my hands to proper position. Was fine, the weight was light enough I could get away with that: but holy shit, have to learn to respect the weight. Make sure you're in the right place BEFORE lifting the damn thing; and if it's wrong, put it down and lift it correctly.

Accepted the lesson of the last couple workouts with the overhead, and dropped down all the way to two 15# dumbbells for it. Decided the cycle exists for a reason, use it, but could not quite stomach using tens. The dumbbells gave a neutral grip, and the extra ROM helped activate that "clicking" in my left shoulder, that I wanted to move thru, so this is probably a good thing overall. May stick with dumbbells for a while even when I get up to a weight that could go on a bar. Later, might want to use dumbbells for warmup/cooldown.

Another dumb thing I did was forget my jumpstretch bands. So could not do my "foot pull toward shin" after the calf raises (the bands at the gym didn't work), and had to use a dumbbell for the YTWL. Did them lying on a bench, one arm at a time. Smallest dumbbell I found was 3# (I had wanted to use a 1). Left shoulder tight.

Don't like this gym for this workout. No lat pulldown machine in the weight room, so have to come upstairs for the overhead and pulldown. Leg press machine (for calf raises) sucks compared to the one at other gym. *Did* find the ab weel -- only redeeming part. This gym great for the workout on squat day, bad for the workout on deads day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:56 pm 

Monday 12/5

Rest day, no lifts. Co-taught kids karate class. Ran warmups, but again nothing to do after that. M had brought a guest instructor, who wanted to do his own thing. He ran the whole class.

But I stayed for adult class. Nailed down empi, and re-learned lohai. It's astonishing how quickly it all floods back. Just needed to be reminded.
Actually PERFORMED two forms! Intended to go about 80%, but of course once you get started it's pretty much full speed full intensity. My heels hurt after empi, so you assume I was stomping, and M & guest confirmed it. I was completely unaware! I must have been stomping the shit out of the floor, heels were really sore. Felt great to have lohai again – have always loved that form.

I suppose I move herky jerky like a puppet whose limbs aren't connected. No fluidity in hips for transition stances, and overbalanced forward. I don't give a fuck. Was awesome to do full intensity forms again. Bored the wife with excited story about how great it was, when I got home.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm 

Holy shit, I just realized why I felt the need, over weeks, to put the training log here. Half the goddam plates in the gym say "IGx" on them! It was like subliminal messaging, every time I reset the weight on the bar.

Diabolical.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:53 am 

Tuesday 12/6

squat 95,85,75 5+5+5
planks 2x40 secs, + raises
bench 95,85,75 5+5+5
row 80,70,60 5+5+5
YTWL 4+4+4 (with band)

Adbuctors/Adductors 70# 6+6

Remembered my band this time. :rolleyes:

For fun tried an additional drop set for each free-weight exercise. Felt like real work. I suspect it's not an appropriate training method for where I'm at right now. I'm still so new at this, I'll make a ton of progress just thru neuro-muscular whatever, without hypertrophy. Still, was fun.

I decided that, instead of planks, the more precise "antagonist" exercise for the squat is moving the hip flexors. Climbed onto that contraption where you rest your forearms on pads, and you have a grip, your back is against a cushion and your legs dangle. Did slow "raises to pike" on that, 5+5 (shoes on). Not so easy. They have this same apparatus at both gyms, so I'll add this on when I remember.

Been thinking about adding Adbuctor & Adductor work for a while now. The gym has those specialized machines. My idea was that when I start sparring again, I'll add those exercises, since that work did so much for my kicks ~10 yrs ago. Based on last night, and how goddam pumped I was to be doing real karate again, decided I'd better get started. Sat on those machines and busted out a couple sets at one of the lower weights available.

I spose I should figure out if I want max strength there, which might dictate a "PTTP style" 5+5 rep pan; or strength endurance, which might dictate something different (higher reps / lower weight??). Hell, I don't even know how to train for strength endurance (other than kettlebell long cycle). For that matter, maybe I do need raw strength in the adductors, considering my adventures in ne-waza the other day?? And stronger abductors never hurt anyone's side kick or round kick.

Easy to get your head mixed up on this stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:04 am 

Thursday 12/8

Deadlift 95,145,135 5+5+5
Ab wheel (knees) 5+5
Overhead 65,35 5+5
Pulldown 110,100 3+4
Calf Raise 300,270 6+6 (and the foot pulls with bands)
Adduct 90,90 6+6
Abduct 90,95 6+6

I'm too dumb to lift weights. I was supposed to dead 145. After wrinkling my forehead really tight, I realized that meant I needed to put two 25's on each end of the 45# bar. So I put two 25s TOTAL on the bar, and start my set, and I'm like Wow this is moving really easy, I'm getting stronger faster than I thought. Uh, no. Fixed it, did the set i was supposed to. Then I got to overheads, and remembered I was doing 30 with the overhead press, using dumbells (and a 2.5# plate). So I grabbed a 30 for each hand (instead of a total of 30, two 15s), started my set, and then wondered if a set so early in the cycle should really be this hard. Uh, no.

So flustered by all that nonsense, that I forgot to work in my YTWLs, and had to squeeze them in at the end.

Gym was super crowded. Had to wait for the ab wheel, then had to wait for the deadlift "station", then had to wait for the dumbbells (which were the wrong weight anyway, but then I had to wait for the right ones). This might have been part of what threw me. This time window is s great use of the otherwise-dead hour that the boy is at music class. But if it's always going to be like this, I'm not sure I really want to lift then.

Not able to do a full set of the pulldowns at this weight. May drop back to the last weight and then make another try at this weight, before deciding whether or not to end the cycle.

4 weeks of lifting in the books!

This weekend will be a big break for me, 4 days off from anything exercise-related. I'll miss Judo and skip the Sunday lift, no Monday makeup and no Monday karate class either. The wife and I are flying to California, for a 4-day weekend in Santa Monica & San Diego. This will be the first gym trip I've skipped since I started. Pretty good excuse, though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:57 am 

Sunday 12/10

Walked all around San Diego for 5 or 6 hours. Lil Italy to the waterfront, all over the Midway (which is awesome), Coronado Island, Balboa Park (impressive), then after dinner a mile or 1.5 back to the hotel. Walking and walking and walking. My calves were fried before dinner, though got something of a second wind after. Feel great today.

San Diego is a fabulous city. I'd never been.

Last edited by JimZipCode on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.