IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 19 Next
 Post subject: Re: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:55 pm 

Quote:
Using a single ladder of (1,2,3) Monday to Friday might work too.
Which lift? All of them?

What's the benefit of the ladder over a single set of 5 or 6?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Using a single ladder of (1,2,3) Monday to Friday might work too.
Which lift? All of them?

What's the benefit of the ladder over a single set of 5 or 6?
Fatigue management, higher loads and wee bit more volume. You can do one single, one double and one triple using a weight you couldn't lift five times in a single set.

Anyway, I'd probably wait until the daily set of five becomes too hard. And even then, you could also do five singles.

Too many ways to skin a cat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:54 pm 

Quote:
Fatigue management, higher loads and wee bit more volume. You can do one single, one double and one triple using a weight you couldn't lift five times in a single set.
What's the rest between sets of the ladder?
Do you go "circuit style" thru your lifts, or complete all the sets of one lift before going on to the next?

Quote:
And even then, you could also do five singles.
I do my deadlifts as five singles, with zero (or just a few seconds) rest. I let go of the bar, to "prove" that each rep is coming from a dead stop, then I re-grip and wiggle a little, and go. Less than 15 secs between reps I think, unless it's heavy and some psyche-up is required.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:58 pm 

Quote:
What's the rest between sets of the ladder?
As much as you need to be absolutely sure to complete the next rung. Thing is, since this is low volume, low rungs and daily sub-maximal training, you shouldn't need much rest between rungs.

I know this is exactly the kind of ambiguous answer we all fucking hate, but I can't be more precise (on a good day you will barely need a couple of seconds between rungs, while other times you'll be needing a full minute or so).
Quote:
Do you go "circuit style" thru your lifts, or complete all the sets of one lift before going on to the next?
Both ways are fine.

But, in my opinion, unless you are using loads close to your 3RM (which you shouldn't do), you don't need the extra rest that the slow circuit option allows.

And just to make everything even more confusing (yes, I know, I'm an asshole :finga: ), maybe you'll find this article interesting: https://www.dragondoor.com/articles/rest-pause-3-x-3/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:41 am 

Wed 6/27

Skipped lifting. Was a little busier early (and, frankly, tireder) than I expected to be. Then, exactly when I was finally I ready to tell The Boy we were heading to the gym — his buddy knocked on the door and wanted to play! I couldn't bear to turn him away — the boy positively treasures it when his friend comes over. He had gone over earlier, but the friend wasn't available then. Today was light/variety day anyway, so no biggie.

Evening:

Judo class!

Holy shit, there are FIVE new white belts! Instructor must be pleased: it's a lot more fun to have a medium-sized class than a small class. For some reason none of the longer-tenured guys were around, so I was the ranking student. Weird.

Tag drill, kuzushi drill, kumi kata. Then break into two groups: me & the longer-tenured guys worked on our throws, while instructor worked with the 4 complete beginners on falling drills. Then we re-formed as a whole group for some ne-waza: a pressure guard pass. Early on in that drill I was partnered with a tiny new guy — lighter than my stepdaughter, honestly — and that wasn't a good fit, I squashed him like a bug when I put pressure on. Instructor switched us about halfway thru the drill, and I got the fattest of the new guys: a little over 40, heavier than me, not super-mobile. Honestly, he was fat. He was inconsistent about getting pressure on me for the pass; however, when he did, holy shit. After the guard-pass drilling, we closed with 10-15 mins of ne-waza randori with our partner. Instructor wanted us to go about 60% intensity; and if we got a pin, just hold it for about 5 secs and reset. Idea was to get plenty of reps, not fight to the death to resolve a losing position.

So we started, and — it's always interesting to get a little snapshot comparison, where you are vs where you were. When you train with the same guys all the time, it's easy to lose track of the progress you are making, because you're not moving RELATIVE to the guys you're training with. I'm a weak grappler, esp compared with my training buddies, so it's easy for me to lose track of the fact that I've actually learned stuff — so anyway: tonight I pinned this new guy at will. I was just more experienced and more athletic than him; he didn't have the mobility I did, by which I just mean the ability to lever his hips off the mat and reverse directions etc. That's the weakest part of my game vs the guys I usually roll with; but I was well ahead of this guy. I pinned him like 5 times in a row or so, I guess basically to show myself that I could — that it was real — and then I started encouraging him. Last few resets we fought kind of evenly: but I really had to let him make progress, at least at first. That's a nice feeling.

I'm dogging the guy, but actually I was impressed with his ability to hang. When I started ~18 months ago, I couldn't complete a class for the first month or so. This guy was still going at the end; I think that's an accomplishment. He looks fat, but there were some reserves of cardio in there. And he had a great attitude; very nice guy.

I had that righteous sweaty feeling when I got home.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:04 pm 

Thu 6/28

Back squat — 145# for 1x5
Clean — 75# for 1x6 <-- too light
Pull Ups — Real: partial or negative for 1x3; Seated Pulldown: underhand 160# for 1x3
Bench — 135# "wide" for 1x5
Farmers Walk — 180# for, I dunno maybe 75 ft?
Ab Weel — from knees for 1x5
Triceps Kickbacks — [email protected]# on incline bench for 1x6

The 85# cleans I did a week or so ago were too heavy; today's 75# ones were too light. Fuck this lift.

I think the real problem I had last week was that I didn't warm up at all, and the first movement I did was an explosive lift that I hadn't done in months. It wasn't really "too heavy" a weight; it was too abrupt a transition from cold to explosive. Today I did squats first, which of course is a fabulous warmup exercise: and I had no problem with the cleans.

I mean, no problem except for the problems I ALWAYS have with cleans, which are that my form is shitty and I have a lot of trouble squatting under the weight when it's in the air. I wonder if i need to do leg (quad) extensions.

The Farmers Walk is auditioning to be part of the 5x5x5, when I drop something shortly — maybe Bench, if I get 150# or 155# soon. I'm torn on this. I just broke thru a plateau in bench, partially from tweaking form; I don't want to leave potential gains from that lift on the table. But on the other hand, I'd really like to work on my overhead press (maybe via Clean & Press or Clean & Push Press); and I'd like to give Farmers Walks a go for a cycle, if only because Dan John claims they cure cancer. I'm nine weeks into Pavel's 5-week program: it's probably not ridiculous to think about changing things up.

My homemade carry straps let me down today. Under the weight of two 45# plates, the webbing stretched so the strap was too long: almost to the floor, which led to the weights bumping my legs and spinning around. I retied (with a sheet bend :happiness:) the worst one so it was shorter; but I didn't get how MUCH shorter it really needed to be, so was still a problem during my walk. Will experiment with different lengths.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:29 am 

Finally got sick Friday. Had felt it coming on for several days: it finally arrived. I took a half day at work (but then had to stay up late for a client cutover) and skipped lifting. Then skipped Judo Saturday. Then laid around all day Sunday. Then skipped lifting Monday. Monday afternoon I really started to feel better -- started doing my share of chores around the house again, etc.

Took The Boy to a karate class Monday night, where I helped teach the kids — then ran straight home as soon as the kids class ended and the adults were about to start.

Tue 7/3

Karate class.

Taught kids class; stayed for adults. Yoga warmup, forms work, form demo (Lohai), fighting drills, then I spent last 15 mins off by myself walking thru New Form for the first time in a year.

I shocked myself by remembering Lohai (took a few tries to get it). Then later shocked myself by scoring a head kick on a really tall dude. It was a hot, muggy night and I was way thoroughly warmed up, and had done as much stretching as I've done all year: but still. No one ever mentions strength training as a key to flexibility (except that one instructor of mine) (and I guess Pavel): what a serious fucking omission that is. The ROM & flexy gains have been the biggest surprise to me from strength training.

Anyway: good workout.

I re-taught myself New Form. Haven't touched it since last summer. There's a dude I've been seeing around at the local classes, he's one of our young black belts; he went away to college four years ago and fell in with a Shotokan academy, and now he's a high-degree dan with them, and a national-level forms competitor. International level, really: he's going to South America later this year to compete in some big-deal tournament there. He's mesmerizing to watch practice: precision and focus and explosive power. The good Shotokan guys, the way their upper bodies lock and THRUM like a tuning fork when they snap a technique; and the way he drives with his lower body to extend strikes; holy shit.

Selfishly, of particular interest to me is that this guy can probly help me get some clarity on some of the moves & interpretations in this form. He has a very deep interest in forms; and this one was a creation of Asai Sensei, who was once technical director and chief instructor of the JKA. So, sort of up his alley, though obliquely. I showed him one of the YouTube vids after class tonight, and he was intrigued. So, cool.

Karate camp coming up in 3-1/2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:29 pm 

Wed 4th of July

Bench — 145# "wide" for 5x3
Clean — 75# for 3x10
Dumbbell Pullover — 20# for 3x12

Weird doing "long" sets (10 and 12 reps) after a year and a half doing sets of five.

The Cleans were interesting in "longish" sets. After the first set i thought I was going to die; and I thought about reducing the weight. Caught a second wind, and by the third set I was starting to get some efficiency of movement. I'm still not dropping low enough in the catch; but on the whole this was a good piece of work.

The DB Pullovers were supposed to be sets of 15. I was bending my elbow at extension, to add to the work my triceps were doing; and they were crying by about 8 or 9 reps in. So I cut the sets shorter. Ease into it.

Later — Took The Boy to the pool for an hour or so. Splashed around, threw him a bit, dove in the well some, floated around like a lazy fat manatee.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:53 pm 

Oh yeah: also Wed 4th of July

Piano Lesson

Teacher was out last week. We reviewed the five pieces I took on last lesson. One of them I don't like, and didn't practice much. The other 4 we pronounced me ready to move on from. Then "extended" position in the RH, and intro to "On Top Of Old Smokey" (which uses that extended position), "The Can Can" by Offenbach, and piece #3 from the Microjazz book. So that's what I'll be working on this week.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 am 

Thu 7/5

Took the dog and two of her little doggie friends to the park for a mile walk off-leash.

The tag-alongs were my friend's dogs, he asked me to take them out for a couple walks while he's gone overnight.
Very humid, I was shvitzing like a sprinkler. When I got home my wife asked if it was raining out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:37 am 

Fri 7/6

Deadlift — 265# for 5x3
Front Squat — 105# for 3x8
Band-Assisted PullUps — for 3x3
Triceps Kickbacks — [email protected]# for 3x15
Cable Face Pull — 25# for 3x12

The skwats were sposed to be 115# for 3x10. I did three reps at 115#, then noped out of it and took 10# off. Finished that first set of 10, I guess. Next two sets I surrendered after rep #8. Holy shit squats for reps are tough. I'll go a little lighter next time, build up some stamina.

Y'know what else is tough? Fucking triceps kickbacks. I do NOT understand triceps at all. For a year+ I was doing bench with a narrow-ish group — not a truly close grip, but not standard either: about shoulder width — which SHOULD have had the effect of strengthening my tri's, more than a standard grip would have. So how the eff are they so weak now? Seriously those 10# kickbacks were very very tough tonight. The logic circle doesn't close, for me. I get how my bench can have stalled with weak triceps. What I don't get is how my triceps are still so weak, a year+ into lifting.

Nothing to get excited about with those pull-ups. The reps were incomplete, counting them at 3 is very generous. Still, an ok place to start from.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:26 am 

Sat 7/7

Judo class

Was really dragging ass from yesterday's lifting. So stiff, so sore. But instructor was out, so Very Old Black Belt ran class. Uchikomi's to warm up, and then just practice our belt-level throws. Plodded thru class, but did work extensively on Okuri Ashi Harai, which I didn't really want to practice, and some on Harai Goshi, which I did want to practice. Starting to get the footwork; got a couple good throws.

Later: took the dog and those other two dogs to the park for a mile walk off-leash just before sunset.
Lovely, lovely afternoon/evening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 pm 

Sun 7/8

Warmup Front Squat — empty bar for 1x5
Back Squat — 155# for 5x3
BTN Press — 75# for 3x10
Lat Pulldowns — 120# for 3x10 (140)
Calf Raise — +130# for 2x15 (and tib pulls, with lighter band)
Leg ext — some weight?? for 2x10

Felt very tight and sore today, esp in hamstrings. But, and this is the first time I've experienced this, it felt like I got STRONGER as the squat sets went on. Halfway thru I was like, I chose too light a weight for today! Nice feeling.

Did NOT have that feeling during lat pulldowns. I started at 140#; halfway thru the second set I reduced the weight to 120#.

The leg extension machine upstairs is bewildering. I have no idea how much resistance I dialed up. But it was heavy enough that I bailed on my plan to do 3x15 with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

Monday night took The Boy to a kids karate class, and assisted there. Ran sparring drills for the lowest-ranked kids (white thru yellow). Fun; not a workout.

Tues 7/10

Bench — 150# for 5x3
Band-assisted Pull-up — 3x3
Snatch Grip DL — 135# for 3x10 <-- too light
DB pullover — 25# for 3x15
Leg Ext — 50# for 3x10

The bench is a PR. But my ROM was compromised — late sets I was afraid to let the bar come all the way to my chest — so I'm not sure I should trumpet it.

Was very respectful of the Snatch Grip DL, after reading about it. But this was way too light. I specifically looked up ratios after my workout: they say about 80% of your conventional DL for this lift. That would put me around 220#. So yeah, I was not in the right ballpark. Still, three sets of 10: I'll build this weight up medium slowly. Even at this weight, maintaining grip requires focus as the set drags on.

The leg extension machine downstairs in the weight room is far more intelligible than the one upstairs. Each leg moves independently, and you put a plate on the loading pin. When I got to the machine, each side had a 25# on, so I just went with that. A little heavy for sets of double-digit reps. I was slotted to do 15, held it to 10.

Later Tues 7/10

Karate class

Taught kids; worked with Green Belts on a couple basic grab escapes, and then let them fight. Taught kote gaeshi to blue belts, starting with basics from knees: feeling it engage, how to tap, etc. Very enjoyable lesson to teach; the kids were very psyched and motivated to learn the stuff. I think they were new blue belts; they hadn't been exposed to it yet.

Stayed for adult class. Yoga warmup, basic motion; then partnered with an older black belt R, who I've known for years. We worked low-key on one-step stuff. I developed a 6-technique set! Not brand new: I had bits & pieces of one-steps from when I was training before. Was able to pull them together into a set, and write it down. Should have video'ed each of them, but would have needed to grab a third person to hold the phone; maybe next time.

Spent last ~15 mins walking thru New Form. Seems like I've fully remembered it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:45 am 

Skipped Judo Wed night, like a pussy.

Was strategic; my wife was feeling a little put-upon / left-out or something, so I stayed home & socialized. Was actually a very pleasant evening; though I felt acutely the missed progress toward my goals. And I'm likely going to miss Saturday as well, family thing. Still a sound decision.

Fri 7/13

Deadlft — 270# for 3x3 + 2x2
Band-Assisted Pull-up — for 3x3
Clean High Pull — 85# for 5x6
Push-up — for 3x10
Leg Ext — [email protected]# for 3x12

On the deadlift, I was supposed to do 5x3 at this weight. But last two sets I couldn't manage 3, gave up after 2 reps.

I read this article: And got persuaded to switch from Power Cleans to Clean High Pulls. It makes sense. All my issues with the Clean are related to the catch; I can move more weight than I can catch correctly in half- or quarter-squat position. I've probably spent roughly a year, off and on, trying to clean up my catch position. But — why? I'm not prepping for the C&J. Not entering the Olympics. If I just want to train the explosiveness, why spend weeks & months ironing out the highly technical portion of the lift, when it does NOT relate to the explosiveness?

My decision was affirmed when I another article: "How to Get Absolutely Jacked with the Power Clean". Toward the bottom there's an FAQ, and one of them is:
Quote:
What if I can’t catch the bar?
First [try this]. Direct joint pain or no way in hell you’ll ever get there? The high pull is a great substitute.
Even this "do power cleans" coach is like, oh yeah high pulls are fine. Well fuck it. I've got plenty of other chances to fuck up my shoulders, between bench pressing and BTN pressing, and judo and karate. No need to be dogmatic about power cleans. Clean High Pull, here we come.

So today was my first attempt at CHP, using the scheduled "next weight" for power cleans. First set was rocky with form: I had some catch-the-bar muscle memory to overcome. Last few sets were fine. I treated it like a kettlebell swing, where I like to get the bell up to face height. Re-reading the articles, seems like anything above the nips is considered "high". I'll play around with this a little, see where I like to target it as the weights get heavier.

Super-setted the CHP's with good ol' push-ups. I'm better at them today than I was last year.

On the downstairs leg-extension machine, the legs move so completely independently, that I think it makes more sense to denote the weight the same way I would record having a dumbbell in each hand. So Tuesday's workout, that I wrote down as "50# for 3x10", now I would write that as "[email protected]# for 3x10". Today I backed off a little. It's weird: those sets start so easy, and finish so tough. I have high hopes for this exercise, to help out with the mild "tendonitis-y" feeling I get at my quad insertions when I bend my knees in martial arts, to dip for a hip throw attempt or hold a fugol stance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:00 am 

Sun 7/15

Squat — 160# for 5x3
Band-assisted Pull-up — for 3x3
BTN Press — 80# for 3x8
Lat Pulldown — #125 for 3x10
Calf Raise — +120# for 3x15 (+ tib pulls with the orange band)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:53 pm 

Tues 7/17

Karate class

Co-taught kids class. Ran warmups — instructor B thinks I run a nice set of kid warmups, get a good reaction from the kids. Then worked with the kid blue belts again. "Finished" teaching my intro to kote gaeshi to them; reviewed the basics, then found the lock from a variety of self-defense attacks: front choke, side choke, etc. Fun.

Stayed for adult class. Yoga warmup (which I skipped a lot of), basic motion, partnerwork basic motion, some fighting drills, some forms work.

Initial returns on the knee extensions is highly encouraging. I didn't notice any knee twinge while doing fugol stances; neithing in the basic motion nor the forms work. So that's nice. Hopefully it's related, and I've really found something. Though I would feel a little stupid: I've been all "functional compound movements!" nazi since I started lifting, and it turns out that basic lightweight quad extensions cure my most nagging martial arts issue. Duh.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:56 pm 

Wed 7/18

Piano lesson

Finally realized that my slowing down in piano is not JUST post-exam doldrums or whatever. The Boy is out of school! Having him home really cuts into my freedom to just walk over to the piano and practice whenever I find 15 mins in my work day. Issues with concentration, noise, letting sleeping dog lie, etc etc. Discussed this with my teacher, concluding that I'm just not going to make a lot of progress over the summer, and will look to pick up the pace again when school starts. He has kids too, was laughing as I described the situation, says he understands completely.

Reviewed the Christopher Nortion "Struttin" piece, Microjazz #3. I played it pretty well; but I suggested it would be fun to play it double-time in the left hand, turn those quarter-notes into eighth notes. Teacher played that for me, and it sounds great, so I'm going to work some more on that piece this week. Then we looked at the next piece in the Norton book, "New Confidence". Also reviewed "The Can Can" by Offenbach. Teacher did something here that we've never done: he had me play the LH only, while he played the right. Then we switched, he played the LH while I did the right. Doing it as a "duet" was super fun. Then I played it hands-together, but a bit slower than I had been. Sounded fine. Why O why can I never remember that the easiest way to get good at these pieces is to just SLOW down for a while. Stupid. Teacher says that every one of his students does exactly the same thing: funny.

He's out next week, so I have a sub. He says the sub is a cute girl in her 20s, so that's something to look forward to. Then I'm out the week after, taking The Boy to karate camp. So I'll see teacher again in 3 weeks.

Later: missed Judo. Wife got home late from work; instead the four of us sat together and had a late dinner, like 8:45. Was very nice. But this is 3x in a row that family stuff has pushed Judo aside. Nothing wrong with the priority; but I'd like to get back on the Judo train.

Last edited by JimZipCode on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:10 pm 

Skipped lifting Tues & Wed, which means this went from a 3x week to a 2x week. Thu or Fri is usually Deadlift day; but I'm stronger in the dead vs the standards, and weaker on the squat & bench vs the standards, so DL is the one I skip.

Thu 7/19

Bench — 135# for 1x3; 155# for 5x2
Band-assisted Pull-up — 3x3
Snatch Grip DL — 155# for 3x10
DB pullover — 25# for 3x15
Leg Ext — [email protected]# for 3x15
Farmers Walk — [email protected]#, once down hall & back, and once halfway

I've walked with 90# in each hand before, so I was very surprised when 50# each hand turned out to be hard. I went a little further than I had with the heavier weight, and I did a second "rep"; and I had pre-fried my grip with pull-ups and snatch-grip DL. Still, was much more of a challenge than I had anticipated. A little under half my bodyweight, altogether: a "medium to light" day for that lift. I'll try again on Sunday, a little heavier.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:06 pm 

Sat 7/21

Judo class

Uchi komi. Hip block vs hip throws like Ogoshi / Ippon / Koshi Garuma. Use the hip block to progress into a counter of your own, mostly Koshi G. Then a basic combo to enter into the Ogoshi: uchi gari, kouchi gari, into ogoshi. And reps, lots of reps. Finished up with ~15 mins of ne-waza: working from kneeling facing partner, get to a pin, then let your guy up and go again. Go about 60%. I worked with our instructor, who is a light guy, maybe 175. (Maybe not even.) I got 50# on him, and he wasn't going particularly hard or fast, and I got thoroughly dominated.

Big class. Buncha new white belts; also there was a ringer, a big Japanese guy, black belt. I rotated in with him one time, and instead of working on what we were supposed to work on, after a minute of me entering Ogoshi against him he said ok, stopped me, and proceeded to rebuild my Ogoshi from the ground up. Felt like an opportunity, I tried to take advantage. He showed me a wall drill I can do on my own, so that's cool.

Two guys who have been Green belts for a while, are sporting shiny new Blue belts. Instructor already told me he wants to promote me too. He said July; but given how much I've missed lately, and that I'm going to be out the week after next for two classes, it'll probly be August before that happens. Still: cool, he's moving guys up including me. Excellent.

So stiff & sore afterward.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:16 pm 

Sun 7/22

Front Squat warmup — empty bar for 1 set of 5
Back Squat — 165# for 5x3
Band-assisted Pull-up — for 3x3
BTN Press — 85# for 3x7
Lat Pulldown — #125 for 3x10
Farmers Walk — 135# with trap bar
Calf Raise — +125# for 3x15 (+ tib pulls with the orange band)
Adduct/Abduct — 90# for 1 set of 10 (just a light mobility set)

For the weight of the Farmers Walk. I'm assuming the trap bar weighs the same as a regular bar, 45#. I put two 45s on it and walked. Holy shit was that easier than using my straps! The trap bar stabilizes the whole thing very nicely. Felt like I could have handled a lot more weight.

The contraption was tough to maneuver in the hall. I had to stay at one end so as not to interfere with traffic. I did a couple laps until grip became a factor. Not sure what the distance equates to.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 pm 

Wed 7/25

Piano lesson

With sub. She had kind of a breathy "Yes, yes" style to her, that I was not a huge fan of. Very encouraging and knowledgeable, but in the end I think I like my dude better. I only vaguely remember what we did. She did give me some homework, specific jazz stuff to listen to, that I did not do. But I have it written down, I may do it someday.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:57 pm 

Sun 7/29 thru Sat 8/4

Took the boy to Karate Camp in Virginia. (It's been 11 years since I last went.) Stayed in dorm. Three workouts a day, some of them fun activities like goofy team competitions or Skit Night. Exam at the end of the week: the boy earned a promotion!

He's pretty stoked about martial arts now. He proudly showed off his new foam rubber nunchucks to Mom when we got home + showed her some moves. He came downstairs an hour after we got home, with his new belt tied around him. And he picked up some fragments of his next form by watching other kids, and he's been practicing them — wrong and out of context, but doing them. So, mission motherfucking ACCOMPLISHED. :happiness:

I didn't do so bad either.

Deeply exhausted now, plus have a shit-ton of laundry to do. But I'm very very pleased.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:23 pm 

Monday took boy to karate classs, co-taught the kids, barely did anything.

Tues 8/7

Co-taught kids karate class, stayed for adult class. Free-form warmups; a little forms; then "lock sensitivity" drills (nikyo, Kote gaeshi, sankyo) and "choke sensitivity" drills. B made the distinction between "breath" and "blood" for the chokes, which is what I have always called "choke" vs "strangle". More talky, not as sweaty and rep-filled as B's class usually is — which suited me fine.

We'll see if I can handle Judo tomorrow. My elbow hurts like shit — not the usual elbow, the other one. I jammed it trying to break two cinder-slabs, and it puffed up with a proper goose egg. The goose egg has deflated, but the elbow as a whole is still swollen. The compression sleeve I wore for my tennis elbow has came in super handy. Also my knees, ankles, and brain are sore. I feel old.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:45 am 

Wed 8/8
Judo class

Arrived almost 30 mins late. Got a phone call I had to take, just as I was getting ready to go, lost a fair amount of time.

Participated in the end of the first segment of class, which was an uchikomi-like drill but one-handed. We did first the Tsurite hand (lapel) for like a minute, (switch people) then the sleeve hand for a bit, then both hands and load the throw. Very, very interesting exercise. Was helpful. Maybe a couple other drills?

Then I partnered up with a new Yellow belt, and we spent time on some of our belt-level stuff. A little Harai Goshi, and I got some coaching on it from instructor; a lot of Tai Otoshi.

Broke a righteous sweat. I suck at Judo, however.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 18 19 Next