IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:47 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next
 Post subject: Re: Zip It Up
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:36 pm 

Mon 9/24

Front Squat warmup — 45#,135# for 3,1
Back Squat — 190# for 5x3
Hold-up — 3x2
Mil Press — 70# for 3x8
Calf Raise — +125# for 2x15 (+ tib pulls with red band)
Adduct/Abduct — 130# for 2x8
Reverse flyes — orange (light) band for 2x15
Side-lying ext rotation — 8# for 2x15
Ext rotation on knee — 8# for 2x15

The squats were very heavy. I'm probly close to the end of this cycle. I think in every set, one of my reps was illegal, didn't go down far enough. I was able to "save" the set by doing pretty well on the other two reps; but even those were probably what I call "barely legal", where the underside of my thigh was parallel but the top was not, or hip crease not below knee. This program I'm doing right now allows 6 sets of 2 when the weight gets too heavy for triples; 200# is so tantalizingly close that I'll probably go to 6x2 for the next couple squat workouts, just to bag that 200. Another alternative is the reverse pyramid that I've been doing on the bench press — that might be a nice idea, because the lighter weights will allow me to reacquire good depth & form.

Tried to collapse timeframes at the gym, by super-setting the squats/hold-ups/mil press. I loved the fact that when I was done with my squat sets, I was basically done downstairs in the weight room. But surprisingly it didn't really reduce my overall time at the gym. These workouts reliably take an hour, at least an hour. I love the progress I'm making; but would also like to shave a little bit of time off of the trip, like 10-15 mins if possible.

Couldn't find any of the 7.5# dumbbells for the external rotations; but DID find an 8# one! How random is that? Good weight for these exercises, though. Hard, but not enough to effect the form.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:12 pm 

Wed 9/26

Piano Lesson!

Last one. :-(

Last week we went over some upcoming stuff in the two books I've been working in this Summer, the Method book and Microjazz. So what did I do? I didn't even glance at those two books. Instead I went back to the repertoire book, which I hadn't even opened since my audition over 15 weeks ago. Was fun to get back into it! Teacher had done me the favor back in April of scanning the table of contents in the Repertoire book, and marking a few pieces that would be good/interesting/appropriate for me. Not too easy or hard, and not shitty like that one piece by Rameau that I hated. So 5 months later I finally referred to that list, and picked out a couple: an Etude by Duvernoy and an Eccosaise by Beethoven.

So much fun to be back in the repertoire again! I had made a lot of progress on them in just a week; but of course getting in front of a good teacher is a whole different ballgame. He told me about "wrist staccato" in the Duvernoy, and a couple of phrasing subtleties in the Beethoven, along with a study hack: do the left-hand octaves in part 2 as block chords, while just learning the piece, to get used to the feel. Then used that memorized "octave bridge" in the left hand to find the notes you need when you start playing faster.

At the end of the lesson we exchanged a big bro hug. He's been absolutely terrific; I feel bad dumping him. But you know, you move on.

Maybe in a few days or a week, I'll post a couple vids to show where 30 piano lessons over 9 months gets you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:25 pm 

Sat 10/6

Off-leash walk at the park with the dog and stepdaughter, with an extra turn around the loop, so probly around 1-1/3 mile or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm 

A fucked-up few weeks in our household. Someone close to the family, fucking died out of the blue. Very young, too. Stepdaughter is devastated. 9yo also effected, though not as much. We had a day-trip to Florida for the funeral, stepdaughter home for a week mourning, another trip to take her to school, etc.

A lesser casualty of this time was my workout routine. I haven't gone to the gym at all; also blown off judo during this time, and haven't stayed for the adult karate classes. Have just took Boy to karate and assisted teaching kids, then come straight home.

In the market for an "easy" way to get back into the swing of lifting, I'm fortunate to already have the perfect tool in my arsenal: Pavel's 5+5+5, courtesy of SubClaw! What's attractive about this as a get-back-to-the-gym program, is its "low barrier to entry". My workouts the past ~3 months have been long, like an hour & a quarter or so. Requires some psyche-up; also requires setting aside a fair block of time. This is completely different, nip off to the gym for 20 mins or so and come right back. Less of a time commitment than a lunch run; and no psyche-up required, it's no more intimidating than a warmup. And yet you get stronger.

Slightly different lineup this time:

Mon 10/15

Snatch Grip DL – 175# for 1x5 (underhand grip)
Split Squat – 25# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 135# for 1x5
Pull-ups – negative 5x1
Carry – suitcase 55#
Shoulder rehab stuff:
  • Reverse flyes – orange band for 2x15
  • Side-lying rotation – 8# for 2x12
  • On-knee rotation – 8# for 1x10

The underhand grip in the DL was a huge improvement in grip endurance, from the overhand grip. Underhand brings the shorter/weaker fingers closer to me in this very-wide grip, longer/stronger ones further away, so the whole hand is able to grip the bar. With overhand, the smaller/weaker fingers were already coming off the bar the moment I straightened.

There's a little training program at Twenty Pullups dotcom. Six weeks to 20 pull-ups in one set, if you can do a set of three right now. There's also two "prep" weeks for those of us poor slobs who can't do 3: including those of us who can't do one. So I'm starting on week "negative two", the very first week of the program. Dunno if it'll get me to 20 in 8 weeks; but honestly if it gets me to FIVE, that's a big fucking improvement.
(I spose technically I'm doing chin-ups, not pull-ups: pull-ups with an underhand grip.)

Pavel's first recommendation in the original 5x5x5 article is:
  • The three powerlifts + pullups + dumbbell side bends
My list of exercises is shockingly similar. That wasn't intentional, but I must have had Pavel's ideas in the back of my mind.

One valid criticism of this set of five lifts, is that my squat & deadlift loads look more like Jazzercise than weightlifting. Yes. But the plan is that's only for the short-term. The snatch grip DL is for upper back and for improving my grip, before another deadlift assault on 300. The split squat, I'm just learning that exercise. Still worried about losing my balance as I do them. I'll build up to heavy, but I plan to do it methodically. Maybe I can get a systemic jolt of load thru the carries.

In general I don't plan on being super strict about "the five". I'll probably switch between different carries, may even work in push-ups or Mil Press in place of bench sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 pm 

Fri 10/19

Off-leash walk at the park with the dog & her two doggy friends, plus boy.
Maybe a mile & a third, I don't think it was quite a mile & a half.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:16 pm 

Quote:
In the market for an "easy" way to get back into the swing of lifting, I'm fortunate to already have the perfect tool in my arsenal: Pavel's 5+5+5, courtesy of SubClaw! What's attractive about this as a get-back-to-the-gym program, is its "low barrier to entry". My workouts the past ~3 months have been long, like an hour & a quarter or so. Requires some psyche-up; also requires setting aside a fair block of time. This is completely different, nip off to the gym for 20 mins or so and come right back. Less of a time commitment than a lunch run; and no psyche-up required, it's no more intimidating than a warmup. And yet you get stronger.
Slightly different lineup this time:
Hmm, this might require a greater effort of will than I anticipated.
Starting again:

Mon 10/22

Snatch Grip DL – 185# for 1x5 (underhand grip)
Split Squat – 45# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1x5
Pull-ups – negative 5x1 (Twenty Pullups dotcom week "negative two")
Carry – suitcase 45#, up & down the hall once ea side
Shoulder stuff:
  • seated dips – 90# for 1x5
  • reverse flyes – orange band for 2x15
  • side-lying ext rotation – 7.5# for 2x15
  • on-knee ext rotation – 7.5# for 2x15

Split squats were hard. I'm concerned my foot was too close to the bench; will have to position in-profile to a mirror next time, so I can check form visually, until I get the feel.

Intentionally reduced weight on the bench, from last time. It's funny, now that I've (finally!) pushed my max over 150, I'm more patient with the idea of lifting lighter.

The neg pull-ups, or let-downs I should say, are getting easier. It's more my decision, rather than gravity's, how soon and how fast to descend.

Dips might look funny in a list of shoulder rehab stuff. The thing is, I love the stretch and warmup that light seated dips give. However this was probly too heavy. I just used whatever was already on the machine. It also hurt my wonky right side a little. I think 50# is probly more my speed right now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:40 pm 

Tue 10/30

Karate class.

Taught kids, then stayed for adults. Some sparring rounds, some (standing) jujitsu, walked thru a couple forms, taught kota gaeshi to upper belts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:02 pm 

Quote:
In the market for an "easy" way to get back into the swing of lifting, I'm fortunate to already have the perfect tool in my arsenal...
So, uh, trying again

Actually it's nowhere near as bad as that. I took off the Tuesday after last lift purposely, as I had karate than night and wasn't sure how strenuous it would be compounded with not being used to lifting every day. Then I got fucked at work next day, a 6-hr outage call that started right about when I wanted to go to the gym. Wife was out of town all week for business, so no possibility of Judo Wed night.

Then Thu-Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon I got down to the serious business of redoing the back room to make it into an office / spare bedroom (which I had in the 2018 goals thread). This was actual LABOR: taking down pegboard, patching drywall, painting, trimming out a window, putting up curtains, hauling all the shit out of there, rearranging the furniture, spending shitloads of money at Ikea on a daybed & mattresses & cushions and side table and lamp, then building all that shit. When my wife got home from the airport Sunday afternoon, I had it all done except building the daybed. Fuck, so close! Finished that up Monday after work. Karate Tuesday; tired as shit Wednesday; then Thu-Fri prepping for my wife's surprise birthday party. That involved cleaning out the patio area (moving a lot of boxes), a lot of shopping etc. The surprise was successful, and my wife had a lot of fun. But man, by Saturday I was completely gassed.

So: I've been super-productive the past two weeks. Quite proud of myself, actually. But I haven't been to the gym.

One thing that would be helpful. would be to be more "proactive" about days that I'm not going to make it to the gym. Actually decide that I'm not going to make it to the gym, instead of hoping something will open up later in the day; and go ahead and do a "non-workout workout" on those days. Maybe Simple & Sinister; or a couple rounds of Flowfit plus some slow kicks and Cotter's teacup; something like that. "Gap" times like this seem to be inevitable; but an alternative workout at home would let those times still be productive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:24 pm 

Sun 11/4

Snatch Grip DL – 195# for 1 set of 4 (grip fail on 5)
Split Squat – 50# for 1 set of 5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1 set of 5, paused Spoto-style
Pull-ups – negative 5x1 (Twenty Pullups dotcom week "negative two") (My third week on the same week of the program)
Carry – suitcase 45#, up and down the hall

Shoulder stuff:
  • seated dips – 50# for 1 set of 5
  • flyes with orange band – for 2x15
  • side-lying rotation – 8# for 2x15

Surprised and dismayed by the grip fail in the Snatch Grip DLs. It was my right hand; my left was ok. WTF.

I did the Split Squats with a db in one hand and holding onto the dip station with my other hand, to help maintain balance. I don't think I used that hand to help haul myself up; but I have some work to do to get solid enough in this exercise so that balance is not an issue.

The Dips were super light. But they still hurt my wonky right shoulder. I have to be careful and smart there.

Super-hot sleek young girl in the weight room doing Trap-bar Deadlifts and Good Mornings. Sometimes it's nice to go to a big gym.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 am 

Mon 11/5

Snatch Grip DL – 185# for 1x5
Split Squat – 55# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1x5

Leg stuff for martial arts:
  • Leg ext – [email protected]# for 1x12
  • Calf Raise – +160# for 1x12 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 1x7)
  • Adduct/Abduct – 110# for 1x10

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:34 am 

Election Day

Went straight from my polling place to the gym. :happiness:

Snatch Grip DL – 185# for 1 set of 4 (grip fail on 5 – AGAIN! Motherfuck)
Split Squat – 60# for 1 set of 4 ea side
DB Bench – [email protected]# for 1 set of 6

Shoulder stuff:
  • seated dips – 50# underhand! for 1x10
  • flyes with orange band – for 2x15
  • side-lying rotation – 8# for 2x15

The grip fail in the Snatch Grip DLs was at 10# lighter than my grip fail the other day; and with a weight I handled yesterday! Grumble. Maybe my right hand grip is fucked because I've had a stroke or something.

First time I've tried Split Squats with a db in each hand. No hand free to stabilize. This weight was heavy; I did 5 on the first side, but only 4 on the second side. I don't remember if I failed 5, or stumbled after 4 and called the set. Balance is still horrific. Really that's the thing to focus on: stay at one weight for a while and get competent with the move.

Guys were camping at the benches, so I decided WTF, grabbed a couple of dumbbells for the bench. I haven't done these before! Hard as shit to stabilize, wow. I blew rep #2 when I got offline and couldn't even hold the weight off my shoulder, almost dropped it. Recovered; and after I got the groove I wanted to keep going. The weight itself was pretty light. Couldn't resist doing them "karate style" – that is, palm-up (supinated?) at the retracted position, rotating to palm-down (pronated?) at the punch (extended) position. That won't transfer to the barbell: fun anyway. Think I might try more of these. The stabilizer practice alone is an eye-opener.

The pull-ups feel like I'm overworking them, like I should take a day off. The 20 Pullups program says to only do these 3 days a week. I was taking a lesson from Pavel and doing them 5 days a week. But maybe that's mistake: at least, until I can do one actual pull-up.

I switched grip on the Seated Dip machine! The main part of the handle is for a neutral grip. But it has a part where it curves and extends away from the body. You're probably supposed to either NOT use that part of the handle, or use it for a pronated grip. Instead I turned my arms OUT to protect my shoulder, moved back in the seat to get my elbows over my hands, and did the Dips with a supinated grip. Pain free! The weight was so light that I kept going way after 5 reps.

The downside is, this probably "proves" that I have an impingement issue in my right shoulder. But I can work light on the dip machine pain-free! I enjoy the stretch I get on those, feels great after. (When they don't hurt.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:33 pm 

Wed 11/7

Snatch Grip DL – 185# for 1x5
Split Squat – 50# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1x5
Pull-ups – negative 4x1 (Twenty Pullups dotcom week "negative two")

• Calf Raise – +160# for 2x12 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 2x7)
  • Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 2x10

Again had grip issues on rep #5 of the Snatch Grip DL. Walked a couple laps around the bar shaking my hand loose, and then got the 5th rep.

Went with 2 DB again on the Split Squat, a little ligher than yesterday. WOW is this hard.

Really feeling it today, a little beaten up. This was day 4: it's possible some of my lifts are too heavy for 5x5x5 (pull-ups, DL, Split Squat). One thing I'd forgotten, Pavel has you vary the weights during the week, while sticking to the 5 reps format. Monday & Tuesday heavy; Wed could go either way; Thur & Fri lighter. I need to do the same thing: reduce the weights, even switch to Lat Pulldowns for the Pull-ups on light days. I'll take tomorrow off, see how I feel Friday.

Wonder if I'll get to Judo tonight? It's been AGES.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 am 

Quote:
Wonder if I'll get to Judo tonight? It's been AGES.
Nope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:17 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Election Day

Went straight from my polling place to the gym. :happiness:

The 20 Pullups program says to only do these 3 days a week. I was taking a lesson from Pavel and doing them 5 days a week. But maybe that's mistake: at least, until I can do one actual pull-up.
Good job voting.

Be wary of combining program ideas. Pick either one or the other, trying to be smart often leads to no progress. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 pm 

Fri 11/9

Snatch Grip DL – 175# for 1 set of 5
Split Squat – 45# for 1 set of 5 ea side
DB Bench – [email protected]# for 1 set of 5
Carry – suitcase 35#, up and down the hall

Shoulder stuff
  • seated dips – 70# underhand for 1x5
    7-Min Rotator Cuff Solution, level 7:
  • Internal rotation curls – red band 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 10# for 2x10
  • Standing L-flyes – 10# for 2x10
  • Side-lying L-flyes (ext rotation) – 10# for 2x10
  • Pec stretch – parallel for 1 @ 15 secs
  • Pec stretch – angled up for 1 @ 15 secs
  • Front delt / biceps stretch – 1 @ 15 secs
  • External rotators stretch – 1 @ 15 secs

Reduced load to get thru my week. 5 sessions achieved! Finally.

Found a couple of 22.5# DBs, and used them for the Split Squat. I think this is the perfect weight to use to nail down my form. (To the point of no balance issues.) I love what this lift does for me; will be nice to start to get good at it.

Holy shit, benching two 50# dumbbells is hard! Not the pushing, the stabilizing. When I get it lined up, vertical forearms over elbows, the actual "lift" is no problem. But controlling all the random fluctuations is a workout. I'm gonna keep this in the rotation: maybe not every workout, but at least a couple times a week.

Week negative-2 of the Twenty Pullups program is supposed to end with you doing a single pull-up. I failed completely: barely budged. Back to the negs next week. I might supplement with some lighter work with Lat Pulldowns, or band-assisted pull-ups, or something. Liposuction might also help.

These heavier dips hurt a little bit, compared to the lighter ones I did the other day: but only a very little. I stayed careful. These are a nice warmup for the front delt / bicep stretch in the Rotator Cuff routine.

Finally got the Seven-Min cuff routine sorted! I did my other stuff at the gym, came home and did this. Used the red band wrapped around a leg of the dinner table, for the internal rotation curls. Lightest DB I could find was 10#: that's slightly too heavy for these "rehab" exercises, though really I could do them no problem. I might hit Target for a little 7 or 8# DB this wkend. Excited to see what a couple weeks of this does for my wonky right shoulder. Author says to do the routine twice a week (not 3x); so I'll shoot for Mon/Thu.

Quote:
Be wary of combining program ideas. Pick either one or the other, trying to be smart often leads to no progress. :)
Yeah, thanks. In fact that's what I see so far. I'm monitoring it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:14 am 

Sun 11/11

1-1/3 mile walk at the park with the dog off-leash.

Late afternoon, around 4:00, and the low sunlight was slanting across the Fall-colored tree tops. Really beautiful. Also crisp. I often have the feeling that this walk is the single healthiest exercise I ever take; felt same today. Dog was super enthusiastic. Usually she burns off energy initially and then slows down some. But today, even late in the walk she was sprinting zig-zags across my path, diving into the thicket or splashing thru the creek. Like she was chasing something. She passed out later, after we got home.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 am 

Mon 11/12

Fuckin NOT feeling it today. Tired, sleepy, dragging ass. Finally hauled myself to the gym about 2. Got there, and all three racks were in use among four guys. I was really dispirited – that just seemed like an unsurmountable obstacle. I sat on a bench in the hall and waited for a while, txted with my wife. Then fucking LEFT! Ran an errand and got home before the kid came home from school.

Later after dinner took him to gymnastics, and split for the gym. Got there a little after 7.

Deadlift – 205# for 1 set of 5
Split Squat – 40# for 1 set of 5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1 set of 5

Shoulder stuff
  • 7-Min Rotator Cuff Solution, level 7:
  • Internal rotation curls – innertube band 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 8# for 2x10
  • Standing L-flyes – 8# for 2x10
  • Side-lying L-flyes – 8# for 2x10
  • Pec stretch – parallel for 1 @ 30 secs
  • Pec stretch – angled up for 1 @ 30 secs
  • Front delt / biceps stretch – 1 @ 30 secs
  • External rotators stretch – 1 @ 30 secs

Went light to ensure a successul session.

Those deadlifts were conventional, in case that's not clear.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:23 pm 

Tue 11/13

Deadlift – 215# for 1x5
Split Squat – 40# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1x5
Incl DB Row – [email protected]# for 1x5

• Calf Raise – +160# for 1x10 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 1x10 ea side)
  • Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 1x10

Reduced volume in the leg stuff, with karate tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:21 pm 

Quote:
Reduced volume in the leg stuff, with karate tonight.
But then I didn't go, derp.

I mean, I went. Took Boy to kids class, and assisted teaching. But wife wasn't feeling well, so brought him straight home after class, rather than staying and making her pick him up so I could work out with the adults.

Wed 11/14

Variety Day!

Front Squat – 115# for 1x5
Power Cleans – 75# for 3x2
Standing Arnold Press – [email protected]# for 1x5
Ab wheel – from knees for 1x5 ***

• Calf Raise – +160# for 1x12 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 1x7 ea side)
  • Adduct/Abduct – 140# for 1x10

The ab wheel rollouts were not done with a standard ab wheel, but rather with some weird device – honestly it looked like a Dustbuster with handles – where, the wheels stored up elastic energy like a kids toy car. You roll away, and it helps you roll back! Weird, and I didn't like it. Oh, also it had four little wheels inside its chassis, which made it much more stable than a classical ab wheel. I think that's a drawback, because stability is one of the significant challenges in that exercise.

Thus I award today's rollouts the three asterisks of dubiousness.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:28 am 

Thu 11/15

Deadlift – 225# for 1 set of 5
Split Squat – 45# for 1 set of 5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1 set of 5
DB Incl Row – [email protected]# for 1 set of 5

Shoulder stuff
  • Internal rotation curls – cable 10# for 2x12
  • Lying flyes – 8# for 2x12
  • Standing L-flyes – 8# for 2x12
  • Side-lying L-flyes – 8# for 2x12

Forgot carries. Jumped right to the rotator cuff stuff after rows: I already had the weights out and a bench set claimed. Part way thru the shoulder stuff I realized I'd forgotten them. Decided that after pre-frying the small shoulder muscles, I didn't want to mess around with carrying anything heavy, or even moderate. I'll hit it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:45 pm 

Skipped lifting Friday. Two client migrations, one at 1p and one at 9p (til 4a!); plus my cousin & her husband stopping over for dinner (with my mom) on their way to Fla from NYC area. Fun, but something had to give.

Sat 11/17

Breaking seminar! Led by instructors from the karate organization. Kids for the first hour, adults for the last hour-&-a-half.

The Boy went to the kids part. He did breaks with hammer fist, palm strike, sidekick, maybe something else. They had one-inch pine boards; but they also had half-inch boards, which have a fragile balsa-like feel to them. I think all the boy's breaks were done with the regular boards.

I did:
  • a soft-break of a cinder slab (with my LEFT hand!)
  • A sidekick to break three cinder slabs, lefty
    (I've done more on the right side, but I wanted to focus on a lefty sidekick, so I reduced the stack)
  • a speed-break of one of the thin boards with a punch, to work up to:
  • a speed-break of a regular board with a heel-of-the-hand strike
  • a cinder slab with a lefty forearm strike

The speed break was righty, but everything else was lefty. I've been interested in addressing an effectiveness imbalance between my R & L sides for a while. (Actually the soft break I had intended to do righty; but during my first few attempts, I became aware of a twinge in that elbow, and decided I'd be better off switching sides.)

On the forearm strike, I knew my left was the weaker side, but I was really startled by how scared I was of the stack, when going with lefty. Reduced all the way down to a single slab before I would even pull the trigger on an attempt. In some fairness to me, I fucked up my right elbow at camp just 3 months ago, striking two slabs with my right forearm. So a little fear is expected. But still.

The soft break and the speed break were milestones for me. I'd only ever done a soft break one time, like ~12 years ago or so at camp. The same instructor who coached me thru it then, was there today, so I had him coach me thru it again. I'd never done a speed break of a pine board; just once on a breakaway board, ~15 or so yrs ago. I'm super stoked to have gotten it.

Brought some materials home, so doing more breaking will go on the agenda, when I finally finish putting the garage in order.

Some of the materials came from breakingboards.com. Not too expensive! Our most senior breaking guy figures that, after you buy a big sheet of 1" pine and get it home and cut it to the right size pieces, you've probably spent about $1.25 per board; the prices at the web site are in that ballpark, maybe just a little more, even with shipping. The boards themselves are REALLY nice. Very clean and uniform. The thin ones are great as confidence-builders and as interim steps to stabilize your form before going for a harder break. I'll probly get some for the kid; maybe use them myself for things that hurt (like instep round kicks). The standard-thickness boards are beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:50 pm 

Mon 11/19

Mile run with The Boy, at his school's Thanksgiving "trot".

This is an event where the 3rd thru 5th grade classes each run a mile, on a course laid out around the school: start in the front parking lot, go across the blacktop behind the school, make an S-loop around the big playing field, then come back around the far side and across the front of the building. Two laps equals a mile, they said. I had told The Boy I was going to go, and maybe even run it with him.

The event was scheduled for last Thursday, but got snowed-out. I forgot all about it. Then he reminded me in the morning: "Dad, if you want to come to the Trot, it's today." Fuck! Was at 10:15am.

So I dressed up in shorts, a long-sleeve workout shirt, and a fleece vest, and went up there. I haven't taken a jog in forever. I saw some parents running with the group that went ahead of his, 3rd-graders; but I was the only adult running with the 4th-graders.

12 mins.

Well, I finished anyway. God I'm out of shape.

As the day wore on and some soreness set in, I was less and less eager to go lift. Instead of going to the gym while The Boy was at gymnastics, had dinner with the wife. That was very nice. Then very late in the day I realized that Monday was my rotator cuff day! Did those exercises at home.

Evening:

Shoulder stuff
  • Internal rotation curls – red band for 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 8# for 2x10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:11 am 

Wed 11/21

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 50# for 1x5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1x5

Rather than leg stuff, went into one of the zumba rooms, and walked thru New Form a little, then practiced some kicks in front of a mirror, sort of "tournament style". Kept spinning out to the side on spinning back-kick, til I slowed it down. Spinning hook better than expected. Left-leg rounds and sides terrible. Doubt I would clear opponent's shoulder with that round kick; and so slow! Ugh.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:35 pm 

Fri 11/23

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 50# for 1X5 ea side
DB Bench – [email protected]# for 1X5

Shoulder stuff
  • Internal rotation L-curls – cable 15# for 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 9# for 2x10
  • Shoulder dislocates with long stick – a few

Picked up 55# dumbbells for the bench, but I could't quite handle them. The 50s were missing somewhere, so I grabbed the 45s.

That internal rotation curl (L-curl?) for the rotator cuff, is easier with the cable at the gym than with a band at home. The cable keeps a consistent resistance thruout the move; the band gets harder as you get further into the move. I'm not sure it's the right resistance for this rehab exercise. Maybe next time I do this at home, I'll try the lighter band (the Orange one).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:18 pm 

Sun 11/25

Variety Day!

Front Squat – 125# for 1x5
Power Cleans – 85# for 3x2
Mil Press – 75# for 1x6
Full Contact Twist – +10# for 1x10

Rotator Cuff – 7-Min Solution, level 7:
  • Internal rotation L-curls – cable 15# for 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 10# for 2x10
  • Standing L-flyes – 7.5# for 2x12
  • Side-lying L-flyes – 7.5# for 2x12

Front delt stretch hurt today, for some reason.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 19 Next