Zip It Up

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

JimZipCode

Re: Zip It Up

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Very sore in glutes & hamstrings. Had trouble even walking up stairs yesterday evening! Very tight today. Stretched a little, early in the day, just to be able to move around. Related to Cleans??

Mon 11/26

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 30# for 1x5 ea side
DB Bench – [email protected]# for 1x6
Incl DB Row – [email protected]# for 1x5
Carry – suitcase 35#, up and down the hall
Calf Raise – +200# for 1x10 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 1x8 ea side)

Adductor machine was broke.

In deference to my soreness, I reduced weight in split squat. Grabbed two 15# DBs. Nice and manageable.

50# dumbbells very hard to handle in the bench! Came close to failing on the left side. Seems like I'm uneven in strength between the two sides.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

No more workouts for me this week! We're traveling to Anchorage Alaska, Tuesday through Sunday night. Wife has family out there.

I tried to squeeze in one last pre-trip workout on Tuesday, esp the rotator cuff stuff. But with work in the morning and the travel prep, it was just too much. Will start up again next week.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am

duplicate
Last edited by JimZipCode on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 pm

JimZipCode wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 am
No more workouts for me this week! We're traveling to Anchorage Alaska, Tuesday through Sunday night. Wife has family out there.
Tuesday
Sitting on a plane for six hours, then layover in Seattle for like 5 hours, then sit on another plane for 3+ hours. Arrived in Anchorage at ~3:30am: which was 7:30am my time. Poor boy was zonked. We all got to sleep pretty quick.

Wednesday
Slept in til 11! Went sledding in the afternoon, in Kincaid Park. So beautiful.

Thursday
AM: the zoo. PM: more sledding, this time at Oceanview. View of the inlet, and a glorious sunset.

Friday
Earthquake! We had planned a day trip, but authorities said to "shelter in place". Sat around all day, played Scrabble, ate cookies. Later in the day made a grocery store run and stopped by the liquor store.

Saturday
Three hours on a plane to Seattle. Spent the night there: walked around downtown, had a nice dinner. The Steelhead Diner on Pine St by the market is fucking fabulous. Food was great: more impressive was how they treated us. They couldn't seat us right away (two big parties coming in); they went way out of their way to be super nice to us. I highly recommend: they seem to be really good people. And as I said, the food was great.

Sunday
Up at 5 to spend six-plus hours on a plane. Got home at a reasonable hour, like by 6p. Had a nice evening; a small buffer to ramp-up for the work week.

The 9yo was really great with all the logistics: plane rides, layovers, schlepping suitcases etc. Proud of him.
Last edited by JimZipCode on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Sun 12/2

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 30# for 1X5 ea side
Bench – 125# for 1X5
Pull-ups – negative 5x1 (Twenty Pullups dotcom week "negative two")
DB side bend – 55# for 1X5 ea side

Shoulder stuff:
  • 7-Min Rotator Cuff Solution, level 7
  • Internal rotation L-curls – cable 20# for 2x10
  • Lying flyes – 15# for 2x10
  • Standing L-flyes – 7.5# for 2x10
  • Side-lying L-flyes – 7.5# for 2x10
  • Pec stretch – parallel for 1 @ 30 secs
  • Pec stretch – angled up for 1 @ 30 secs
  • Front delt / biceps stretch – 1 @ 30 secs
  • External rotators stretch – 1 @ 30 secs

I was anxious to get into the gym, even to do a light workout. Just wring out the muscles a little, after all that time cooped up on the plane. I rushed over after dinner, banged it out, came home, and we all passed out. I didn't even get all the lights turned off etc.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:22 pm

Mon 12/3

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 35# for 1x5 ea side (two 17.5# DBs)
DB Bench – [email protected]0# for 1X6
Incl DB Row – [email protected]# for 1x5
DB side bend – 60# for 1X5 ea side

Leg stuff for martial arts:
  • Leg ext – [email protected]# for 2x12
  • Calf Raise – +160# for 1x12 (+ tib pulls w/red band for 1x7 ea side)
  • Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 1x7

The dumbbell side bends feel like nothing. Like I could handle much more weight than I tried here. Will have to look into appropriate loading for this; or if I'm even doing them right.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm

Tue 12/4

Karate class.
Co-taught kids, stayed for adults. Basic motion, forms, sparring. Run judged rings at the end of class.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Wed 12/5

Deadlift – 225# for 1x5
Split Squat – 40# for 1x5 ea side (two 20# DBs)
DB Bench – [email protected]# for 1X6
Pull-ups – negative 5x1 (Twenty Pullups dotcom week "negative two")
DB side bend – 60# for 1X6 ea side

Quick and crisp, in & out.

Was very determined to go to Judo Wed night. The old, normal gym has re-opened so class is back in its usual location. Reiterated to my wife all day, how I was going to go to Judo. Paged back thru my log and discovered that I haven't been in THREE MONTHS! WTF. So: fired up to go.

Then I lay down on the couch after dinner,around 7:15 and, uh, that was that. Woke up at ~midnight to trudge upstairs to bed. FML.

Feels like I'm getting a cold: incipient sore throat, some congestion, weird feeling in head. Wife started to get a cough in Anchorage; boy seems to feel just like I do, and I heard him coughing a little overnight. So, maybe there's a reason I passed out like I did. Whatever: three months is too, too long.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 am

Thu 6/20 of 2019

Key numbers:

6: months out of the gym
9: months out of judo
30: pounds fatter than my lightest since I started this regimen.

FUCK.
ME.

Welp. Karate camp is in FIVE WEEKS. I have to get to a point where I can survive the workouts and have some fun doing it.

Back squat – 135#,140,135 for 3x5
Dumbbell bench press – 2x35#,40,40 for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1

A little slow-kicking and 4-way kicking in the Zumba room
Walk thru New Form one time
A small set of practice with the uchikomi bands

I've said before that the "easiest" way to get back into strength training, is Pavel's 5x5x5. I still think that. But, as much as BD bad-mouths chasing fat-loss with a barbell, it is a fact that the most effective body-sculpting stuff I've ever done was the Starting Strength -type workouts I did when I first started lifting. Three to five sets o' five reps of lifts in a whole body workout. Pavel's 5x5x5 is super fun to do; but I think the very "easy strength-ness" of it that makes it doable 5+ days a week, means that it's not enough of a shock-to-the-system to stimulate body change. I mean near-term fat-loss type of body change. Rippetoe's observation that Starting Strength -type routines will fill out a person or de-fluff them as needed, proved true for me.

Uh, two years ago.

But it's the only evidence I have. And mind you, I don't JUST need to drop 10 or 15 pounds or so. If it were just that, maybe I would just run my ass off. Cardio all day. But I ALSO need to tone up, improve my leg strength & flexibility, balance, etc etc. Improve in every direction at once for five weeks. I don't think 5x5x5 is the right tool for "boot camp" -style short term sprints. So, back to basics.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:25 am

No one cares about my excuses; but I think everyone in our house was pretty rocked by the death "near" the family, last Sept, that I referenced here: Obvsly stepdaughter. My wife was keenly effected too; but mostly we ignored ourselves and worked hard on stepdaughter support thru the time. I stopped going to judo. Christmas was pretty low-key and sober. I didn't decorate the outside of the house, as I usually do. Piano is lagging too: I've taken a few lessons (with the new teach), but haven't practiced basically at all.

This all sounds obvious in retrospect: but it wasn't really until this past Winter/Spring that I put 2 and 2 together, and realized that *I*, yes I was effected too. I thought it was mostly everyone around me, and I was just doing support. But no, it was me too. You'd think the Christmas decorations and cessation of judo & piano would have clued me in. Nope.

So anyway. Time to dig out. Fuck.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:27 am

Fri 6/21

Simple & Sinister
Swings 16kg
TGU 20#

Yes, pounds. Us sloppy fat fucks gotta start somewhere.

Sat 6/22

Judo class!

Everyone so welcoming. Warmed up, worked on my First Eight Throws for about an hour. Then my partner had had enough (was nursing a hurt finger), so I bagged it too. But, just about the most-comfortable "ease back in" I could possibly have hoped for.

Sun 6/23

Deadlift – 225# for 3x3
Standing Arnolds – [email protected]# DBs for 3x3,4,5
Letdowns – 3x1
Let Extensions – 10# for 2x10

Shocked and dismayed how hard the DLs were. That was planned to be 3 sets of 5. I discovered at rep 3 that I couldn't handle 5. *Barely* got the last rep on the last set. Holy fuck.

In contrast, I got stronger as the Arnold sets progressed.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:28 am

A couple evenings teaching karate classes (Mon, Tues).

Thu 6/27

Back squat – 115#,125,125 for 3x5
Dumbbell bench press – 2x40#,45,45 for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1

A little practice with the uchikomi bands (generic entry, osoto, seionage)

Sat-Sun 6/29-30

Two-day Qin Na seminar. Couple guys from Indy came and taught us stuff.
Tons of wrist locks and finger locks, painful stuff that you have to apply super slowly and give partner plenty of time to tap.
I got overload midway thru the afternoon on day 2, left about 45 mins early. Still, a valuable experience.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:30 am

Mon 7/1

Deadlift – 205,215# for 3x5
Standing Arnolds – [email protected]# DBs for 3x5
Letdowns – 3x1
Leg Extensions – 10# for 2x10

A little 4-way kicking in the Zumba room
A little practice with the uchikomi bands

Unrecorded karate class, July 2? Can't see any reason we would have skipped it.

Wed 7/3

Judo class!

Fri 7/5

Back squat – 125# for 3x5
Bench press – 135,115# for 3x2,5,5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 3x5

Set up 135# on the bench to do 3 sets of 5. And I couldn't! Two reps into set #1, it was clear this was way too much weight. Reduced it to 115# to complete the sets.

Fuck. Me.

Sat 7/6

Judo class!

PM took the boy to the pool, stayed two or three hours.

Sun 7/7

Deadlift – 205# for 3x5
Mil Press – 85#,80,80 for 3x5
Letdowns – 3x1
Leg Extensions – 10# for 2x12

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 am

Taught kids karate classes Mon night

Tue 7/9

Back squat – 125,125,135# for 3x5
Bench press – 115# for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 1x5

Some bitch was on the adduct/abduct machines, and I could only get one set each, unless I wanted to wait around. I did not.

Evening – Taught kids karate class, then took adult class

Fri-Sat 7/12-13

A lot of work in garage, bringing out boxes and trying to clean it up a little. Did not get to gym.

Sun 7/14

Weighed myself this morning. Down 11 pounds from where I was 3+ wks ago. Good.

Celebrated by taking my mom out for a birthday dinner with our families, and stuffing a bunch of Italian food in my face.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 am

Sat 8/3

Just returned from karate camp. 225 pounds.

Survived & thrived! I sat out Fight Night; otherwise participated in everything and had good energy.
Competed with New Form twice on Tournament Night: 1 win / 1 loss. Shoulda been 2 wins, honestly. :happiness:
Very active on Skit Night; also did a break during the demo portion (hook kick).

Boy got promoted! He's thrilled.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:37 am

Tue 8/6

Taught karate class
Stayed for adult class. Some kicking drills, basic motion, forms, 4-corner

Date?

Deadlift – 205# for 3x5
Mil Press – 85#,80,80 for 3x5
Letdowns – 3x1
Leg Extensions – 10# for 2x12

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 am

Tue 8/13

Taught kids.
Stayed for adult class. Worked on one-step with an old friend; closed with fun end-of-summer drills

No karate class for about a month, end-of-summer break.

Unrecorded squat workout???

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 am

Sat 8/17 to Fri 8/23

A week in Hilton Head! Beach, pool, Jet skis, meals, fun.
We spent it with my dad and his wife! I haven't spent concentrated time with them in, like, 30 years.
Stepdaughter joined us for the week, which was wonderful.

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:40 am

Sun 8/25

Deadlift – 195# for 3x5
Mil Press – 85#,75,75 for 3x5
Letdowns – 3x1

Tues 8/27

Bench press – [email protected]#,45,45 DBs for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 2x5

Wed 8/28

Judo class

So much DOMS, last couple days! Esp quads.

Fri 8/30

Deadlift – 195# for 3x5
Letdowns – 3x1
Leg Extensions – 15# ea leg for 2x10

Sat 8/31

Judo class

Sensei said I'm too flat footed, I have to play up on my toes, the balls of my feet.
That's been a weakness for me since I started.

Sun 9/1

Back squat – 135# for 3x5 (easy)
Bench press – 125# for 3x5,5,3 (hard)
Let-downs – for 3x1 (pause halfway down)
Adduct/Abduct – 135# for 2x5
GHR – played around on the apparatus for a couplefew partials & negs

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

Tue 9/3

Deadlift – 205# for 3x5
Leg Extensions – 15# ea leg for 2x10
Calf Raise – +80 for something, tried one legged and finished up with both legs. Heavier than expected.

Wed 9/4

Judo class

Fri 9/6

Back squat – 115#,125,125 for 3x5 Deep (not quite A2G, but close)
Bench press – 125# for 3x5
Adduct/Abduct – 135# for 2x5
GHR – couplefew partials & negs

Sat 9/7

Judo class

Sun 9/8

Deadlift – 205# for 3x5
Mil Press – 75# for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Leg Extensions – 40# both for 2x6
Calf Raise – +100 for 2x12

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 am

Mon 9/9 - Taking a rest week from lifting, this week.

Wed 9/11

Judo class

Sat 9/15

Judo class

JimZipCode

Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 am

Back at it: now only twice a week, since karate class is back in session.

Mon 9/16

Bench press – 125# for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Hamstring curls – [email protected]# for 2x6

Upstairs closed at gym, no access to adduct/abduct machines

Tues 9/17

Karate (taught kids, stayed for adults)

Skip Wed judo for Back To School night.

Fri 9/20

Deadlift – 215# for 3x5
Mil Press – 75#,80,80 for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Leg Extensions – 50# both for 1x6

No calf raises, with upstairs closed.

Skipped Saturday judo! Wound up working from like 11a to 6; and then again for a couple hours after midnight.

PM took dog to park for 1-mile walk off leash. Beautiful late afternoon, sun dappling the tops of the trees. Why do I keep forgetting how excellent it is to do this??

JimZipCode

Re: Ziplining

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 am

Mon 9/23

Back squat – 135# for 3x5
Bench press – 135# for 3x5,4,4
Let-downs – for 3x1
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 2x10 (Different gym, different machine; felt lighter than the 135# on the other machine)
GHR – random partials & negs for 2 sets of "some"

Played around in boxing room. Some hand combos on hvy bag; some spin kicks on speed bag

Tues 9/24

Karate (taught kids, stayed for adults)

SO MUCH DOMS! Hamstrings killing me. I blame the GHRs. Did basically nothing in adult class; fought a little.

Wed 9/25

Hammys still very stiff & sore. Guess I really did some work with those GHRs.

Judo class

Thur 9/26

Helped teach kids karate class, then home. (Did not stay for adults)

Fri 9/27

Couldn't fit in my deadlift workout during the day because of long working-conf-cal; planned to make it up after dinner.
But then the fucking gym closed early! Usually 24 hrs, they're on a modified sched due to reno's, and I hadn't found out.

Sat 9/28

Skipped judo in middle of day. (Some honey-do's came due at a bad time.)
Instead:

Deadlift – 215# for 3x5
Mil Press – [email protected]#,40,40 DBs for 3x6
Let-downs – for 3x1
Leg Extensions – 100# both for 2x6 (new machine downstairs at other gym)
Calf Raise – 90# on lying leg press machine, single leg, for 2x6 (+ tib pulls)

Messed around in boxing room; some hand & kick combos on heavy bag, some round kicks and crescent on speed bag.
A couple Ippons with uchikomi bands.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Mon 9/30

Back squat – 135# for 3x5
Bench press – 135# for 3x5,5,4
Let-downs – for 3x1
GHR – partials & negs for 2 sets of 5-ish
Adduct/Abduct – 130# for 2x6 (This machine is whack, 130# is SO much easer than 135# at the other gym)

Spent a few mins stretching hamstrings.

There was a talkative power lifter guy present, whom I've seen & talked with occasionally over the past couple years. He gave me some advice on squat form; also said that I'm ALMOST at legal squat depth; too high by like an inch, inch & a half. Under his eye I did a couple with unloaded bar, to get the feel of correct depth. Basically, go to where I think it is then add an inch. Helpful.

Tue 10/1

Karate (taught kids, stayed for adults).

Worked, in contrast to last week. Sweat up a storm. (It seemed extra humid in the building, for some reason.)

Wed 10/2

Judo class

Thu 10/3

Taught kids karate class, went home (did not stay for adults)

Fri 10/4

Deadlift – 225# for 3x5,5,3
Mil Press – 85# for 3x5
Let-downs – for 3x1
Leg Extensions – 10# ea leg for 2x10 (old machine at other gym)
Calf Raise – 90# on lying leg press machine, single leg, for 2x6 (+ tib pulls)

Evening:

Went to Fri night workout for brown/black belts. One of our senior instructors was presenting on the topic of how to progress to Second Degree.
More a discussion than a workout, but we did spend some time on Shihonage variations.

Sat 10/5

Judo class

Another light workout for me. Uchikomi practice; then I sat and watched one of my co-students take his Yellow belt exam. Last ~20 mins, did some pin escapes and light randori.

During Uchikomi practice, Very Old Black Belt asked me if I'd lost some weight; said I looked trimmer. I think he's right. Gi fits better, among other small indicators.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:06 am

Mon 10/7

Back squat – 135# for 3x5 <-- better depth
Bench press – 135# for 4x5,3,4,3
Let-downs – for 3x1
GHR – partials & negs for 2 sets of 5
Adduct/Abduct – 145 for 2x6 (I'm not sure that "145" really is pounds. Or maybe the pulley system is weird on this machine)

I've been RAVENOUS the past few days. Eating everything that's not nailed down. Snacking like a pig.

Tue 10/8

Karate class (taught kids, stayed for adults)

Wed 10/9

Judo class

My nose is swollen and bulbous from getting bopped in karate. I look like WC Fields.
Now this morning my right shoulder is a little jacked up. Something I did in judo last night? Slept funny? Not sure.
I feel old and decrepit.

Thu 10/10

Assisted with kids karate class, went straight home.

Fri 10/11

Fuck it, skipped deadlift day yest. Felt like ass. Sniffles, body aches. Nose really hurting. Slept a lot.

Sat 10/12

Skipped Judo class too. But I feel better than the last couple days. Oh, shoulder seems fine too.

Mile walk at the part with the dog off-leash, with an old friend who's in from out-of-town for a few days.

Sat 10/13

Finally feel almost back to normal. Two consec nights of good sleep. Woke up with real headache; Advil and drank a bunch of water.
Sat around all day, watched some football.
Nose is close to normal; tender to touch at the middle, but not globally painful.

It felt like my swollen nose triggered flu symptoms! That's not possible, is it? But when I would put a frozen washcloth on my nose to get the swelling under control, after I took it off my nose would be running like crazy. Could my inner nasal passages have been swollen, in a way that prevented phlegm from getting out, leading to some flu-like symptoms??
(My grasp of anatomy is only slightly more advanced than the notion of the Humours.)

Anyway: feeling better than I have since Wednesday. On the runway for Squat Day tomorrow.