Getting After It Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Freki
Sgt. Major

Getting After It Log

Post by Freki » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:41 pm

Starting a new log.

Goal: Live long and prosper.

One measure I'll use going forward for progress is a 5K on a C2 rower. Figure that encapsulates things fairly well and I have access semi-regularly to one. So the tests may happen randomly.

Test right after Christmas 24:36, which based on what data I could find is fairly horrific (~10th percentile).

Another I'll be using in come from a BW book I really like: x reps in pushups, dips, squats, pullups and hanging knee raises. Biggest hurdle will be pullups.

Plan til April 1:

Arnold's BW program, if you have Armor of War it's in there or ask the google for details.
Cardio day (elliptical, stair stepper, March 1st I'll start running, some kind of circuit)
Mobility day (YRG/Ginastica Natural/Maxwell's JM program)

2nd qtr the strength/muscle component will change, probably KB C&P ladders and pullups.

Monday: Cardio
Jump rope 30 sec, 30 sec rest, 10 swings w/ 24, 30 sec rest. 40 min total

Yesterday: BW program, 8 rounds of
5 pushups (sometimes band challenged, but not yesterday)
5 rows
10 crunches
5 dips
3 band assisted pullups
20 med ball twists
5 knee raises
10 calf raises

Last few weeks I've experimented with doing it as a circuit, like above, not rushing between exercises but not lollygagging either and doing it more structured. Almost 100% I prefer circuits, but will still tinker with another scenario or two.

Today: the GN Classic workout followed by 10 min of OALC w/ a 16.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Re: Getting After It Log

Post by Freki » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Travelling last two days.

Jump rope: 30 sec on/30 sec off

60 min total
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Forgot that last Thursday I did a 10 min set of OALC with a 16

Yesterday:

10 sets 5 pushups supersetted with 5 rows. Last 5 sets of pushups were with a green band.

5 sets of 10 crunches

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Traveling again and that last set or two of pushups with the band did a number on elbows and shoulders, so letting them rest up a bit.

Today:
5 dips alternated with 3 band assisted pullups - 1-2 minutes between sets

10 times through.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:17 pm

At the gym:

45 minutes on stairstepper heart rate 135-140, adjusted level as needed.
They have this rope thing, it's looped over a barrell type thing so you can pull on it like a treadmill. 10 sets of 30 pulls.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Cardio day:

45 min easy on elliptical
Messed around with the rope thing again, didn't count but probably 6-7 sets of 30 pulls.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Short on time and figured this was better than nothing.

16 KG OALC 20 min @ ~ 10 RPM

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Had a few weeks of sporadic training. 98 year old grandma passed, travel for that, got back, catching up on work, a few days later came down w/ a nasty cold that lasted almost a week.

During this time, did do some GN mobility stuff and workouts of pushups, air squats, jump rope and OALC, but didn't track them and didn't bother to log obviously.

Sunday:
30 min on stair climber, did an easy 5 min warm up and realized around minute 20 I had a shot at 100 floors, but ended up with 97. Next time less of a warm up. 100 floors for time might be an occasional test like a 5K row.
Gym got some battle ropes recently, did about 15 min of those, to keep the heart rate up and I hate aerobic machines. Did about 10 minutes of the rope pulley thing they have now too, mostly killing time till my wife was ready to go.

Monday:
Giving Tom's KB1.0 a 4 month run.
KB C&P w/ 24 (starting light):
1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4, 5/5 with 1 pull up after the first set, 2 pull ups after the 2nd set and 3 pull ups after the 3rd set. Pull are currently band assisted.

Did that 4 times before I ran out of time.

I'm going to try double clean and presses next week, to economize on time. I have doubles for 24s, 28s and 32s. If I'm comfortably knocking out 5 ladders w/ double 32s by the end of June, I'm satisfied. Then work w/ the 40 and then the 48.

Goal for the end of the year is to press a 106lb KB for at least 5 reps each hand.

Today:
YRG back, knees and hips tape

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:46 pm

Last Wednesday:

Hip Flexor Drill (15 reps) ss. Goblet Squat (8 reps) - 3 x with a 24 for the squats

10 x 10 reps swings w/ a 24

Friday (only had access to a 32) and short on time:
Clean and press: 1, 2, 3 x 3
ss.
Didn't have a pullup bar, but had a TRX and did kind of half pullups, sitting beneath it, pulled up, but legs on a chair.

Monday:
Hip Flexor Drill (20 reps) ss. Double Front Squat (8 reps) - 3 x with a pair of 24s

Today:
Dicked around with GN Classic

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:36 pm

Alarm went off, wife hit it, I rolled over and next thing I knew it was 45 minutes later.

Working on GN for Fighters 1, it's instructional, not a work out tape, did about 20 minutes of the first few moves for JM/mobility.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Warm up:
A free GMB body weight circuit that consists of squats, bear walk, pushup, frog jumps, static leg hold, monkey. They have several programming options, though I'm just doing 10 reps (30 seconds for the hold) a couple times through for a warm up. I may do the stamina version this weekend (1-2 min each, 30 sec rest between exercises) 3-5 times through

Hip Flexor Drill (15 reps) ss. Double Front Squat (8 reps) - 3 x with a pair of 24s

4 x 25 reps swings w/ a 24

45ish min dog walking break

20 min OALC w/ the 16

Doing a 9K run at the end of April so need to start working on that.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:12 pm

KB C&P
First 3 rounds were with just a single 24 kg KB
1/1, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4, 5/5 with 1 pull up after the first set, 2 pull ups after the 2nd set and 3 pull ups after the 3rd set. Pullups are currently band assisted.

Last two rounds were w/ double 24s, same pull ups.

Dicked around too much and didn't have time for the GMB warm up, so the first few rounds were my warmup.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Tuesday:

GN for Fighters ~ 30 minutes, it's not a follow along workout like the other GN stuff I have.

Wednesday:

At some point yesterday the left side of my upper back cramped out, not sure why. Just went from "that's kind of sore" to "OOWWWWW".

So today was just some light stretching around that. Quickly devolved to playing w/ the dog when he realized I was on the floor.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Upper back still tight.

Jump rope: 1 min on/30 sec off - 30 min total
Sun Salutations 15 min non-stop

Average HR for the 45 min = 124, during the sun salutations part, went faster when it got below 130 to keep it between 130 and low 140s.

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Friday:
Hip Flexor Drill (15 reps) ss. Double Front Squat (8 reps) - 3 x with a pair of 24s

10 min OALC w/ 16

Today:
Stair stepper 50 min

20 min easy-ish (HR < 140)
20 min of 30 sec very hard, 1:30 easy
10 min cooldown

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 pm

Free GMB bodyweight circuit to warm up

KB clean and press
1,2,3,4,5 each hand x 5 with 1,2,3 band assisted pullups, though that petered out after first three ladders to 1-2 reps.