IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 am

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:11 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
I rolled for about half an hour, first jiu-jitsu training since July 7th. I had fun...

1. Show Up.
2. Don't Get Hurt.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Aloha!

This makes me happy. You & MarcoFP were the influences in my starting grappling.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:48 am 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Quote:
I rolled for about half an hour, first jiu-jitsu training since July 7th. I had fun...

1. Show Up.
2. Don't Get Hurt.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Aloha!

This makes me happy. You & MarcoFP were the influences in my starting grappling.
That's very nice to say, thank you. I hope one day we cross paths.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:54 am 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.18PM; jiu-jitsu...still forming my vision, but I feel like I am on the right track: budō.

Wasn't able to walk because helping my son with his math homework left me with a late start.

Rolled for 30 minutes with a powerful Sāmoan blue belt; basically he pushed me around for 20 minutes until I would reverse him and .exe <SMESH>. Still it made me feel old and impressed with his strength and vitality.

After that rolled with some lonely looking beginner for another 15 minutes and bounced.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
You & MarcoFP were the influences in my starting grappling.
That's very nice to say, thank you. I hope one day we cross paths.

Thanks! I'll do my best to make that happen, next time I visit the Islands.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.20AM; mountain run x 5 miles and then an hour of jiu-jitsu, just rolling around at a pretty light pace.

My body was feeling pretty beat up from the three days of training during the week, but I was enjoying it so much that I couldn't pace myself the way I should of. As a result my left shoulder is very sore, but what the heck.

Hopefully some stretching and mobility will bring it some peace, and I won't be able to grapple again until Tuesday anyhow.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.21PM; 5 mile hike at an easy pace, just enjoying a beautiful Hawaiian Fall day.

Later in the evening I did Hindu pushups, Hindu squats, bridging, and sun salutations. Going to be bringing in more body weight training while I re-adapt to jiu-jitsu since I know from experience that I can't keep up with the barbell training while I do that.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.22PM; gym class...

1. Hindu Pushups 2 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 = 30
2. Hindu Squats 1 x 60 = 60
3. Pushups 2 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 = 30
4. Lancashire Squats 1 x 60 = 60
5. Straight-Legged Sit-ups 2 x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 = 30
6. Bridges 1 x 30 = 30

...finished swinging 6 lbs. meels and stretching.

I made it to the 20th workout of my Easy Strength barbell program, but there's just no way in hell I could keep that up if I'm going back to jiu-jitsu three or four times a week. It's a pity too, because I will say, the Pavel-style program I was doing was incredibly effective. I'm carrying a lot more muscle, I was getting stronger, and aside from my buggy left shoulder I was feeling good.

As it is, I'm looking to do an old fashioned, "gym class" type calisthenics-based program and slowly re-adapt to the mat. ʾInshāʾallāh drop a few pounds, too.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:30 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.23PM; jiu-jitsu...had some good hard rolls today, from tough old blue belts, to very sharp young black belts. I managed to do pretty well, although I got caught by the black belt with a nice armbar at like the 9:40 mark. My timing and recollection of techniques is coming back, but only slowly.

I realize I was rolling a little too much and much too hard when I tried to go to sleep and my left shoulder was absolutely throbbing. It kept me up until about 3:00 in the morning, so I'll have to be better about caring for my shoulder and moderating my training pace.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.25PM; had family obligations that kept me from jiu-jitsu tonight, but perhaps for the best because I really did a number on my left shoulder. I gave it a day's rest and then did this, in the interest of tempering my body for the challenges ahead. I am basically slowly ramping up to the beginner level of Maxwell's body weight 300.

1. Ring Rows 3 x 10 = 30
2. Hindu Pushups 6 x 5 = 30
3. Hindu Squats 1 x 30 = 30
4. Pushups 6 x 5 = 30
5. Lancashire Squats 1 x 30 = 30
6. Bicycle Crunches 6 x 50 = 30
7. Bridges 1 x 30 = 30

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:41 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.27; 4.5 miles run in the mountains in the morning, then in the afternoon this little workout.

1. Ring Rows 3 x 10 = 30
2. Hindu Pushups 3 x 10 = 30
3. Hindu Squats 1 x 100
4. Pushups 3 x 10 = 30
5. Lunges 3 x 5 = 15
5. Situps 6 x 5 = 30

Spent the evening hosting a banquet for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:46 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.28PM; one hour hike, detoxing from party the night before, then made a big Hungarian feast for my family: kifli, saláta, lecsó, csirke du Barry, etc. then passed out watching Ant Man and Wasp with my son.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:12 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.29PM; gym class...still working up to the Spartan 300 program. The exercise selection is somewhere between beginner and intermediate.

A1. Assisted Ring Chins 3 x 10
A2. Pushups 3 x 10
B1. Squats 3 x 10
B2. Sit-Ups 3 x 10
C1. Ring Rows 3 x 10
C3. Hindu Pushup 3 x 10

...I stopped there, at approximately 22 minutes. I still have to add:

D1. Twisting Crunches
D2. Cossack Squat
E1. Sprinter's Lunge
E2. Squat Thrust

...however I am trying to slowly rehab my shoulder and get back into jiu-jitsu, so I'm trying to be judicious about things.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 am 
Jesus Christ®

2018.10.30PM; jiu-jitsu...finally got my family engagements dealt with and had a great time training.

Approximately one and a quarter hours of rolling with people from seasoned brown, featherweight purple, to burly white belt. I'm pretty much playing around with a knee shield, single-leg half, deep half type of game, just trying to force myself to take a light, guard oriented game for now and not get stupid and competitive. When I get the top, I'm trying to force myself to transition more and hunt the back. Submissions are omoplata, kimura, and chokes. Lots of little projects.

I left with a smile on my face to go buy my son's pumpkin for his Halloween Jack-O'-Lantern.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:09 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

... knee shield, single-leg half, deep half type of game, just trying to force myself to take a light, guard oriented game for now and not get stupid and competitive.

When I get the top, I'm trying to force myself to transition more and hunt the back.

Submissions are omoplata, kimura, and chokes.

I will be following your log with great interest. I am exploring similar subjects, minus omoplatas. I am still working through Faria's Half Guard DVD's.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:33 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Thanks johno, the omoplata is basically my main threat from open guard right now. Faria has a video called "Omoplata Everyone" that planted the seed in my mind, and I like it because it's a great sweeping and leglocking position, as well as the submission itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.01; gym class...worked through about 2/3 of the Maxwell 300 workout. Could already feel things in my body that make me feel like I'm headed down the wrong path.

I had hoped that the wider variety of movements would have a tonic effect on my body, but my shoulder has ranged from "sort of painful" to "very painful" all week. I'm going to have to keep searching for the right fit. For best results, I tend to need a very canned "do this" type of template to work from, which is why I thrived on Pavel's S&S and 40-day workout plans.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:59 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.02PM; still wandering in the wilderness as far as supplemental training goes. I have been trying to reflect on things that worked for me in the past, especially when I'm grappling 2-4 times per week. Things that I enjoy, but tend to get burned out on include bodybuilding and barbell power training. Things that have been sustainable, at least until they aren't, are running and kettlebell training. All of this being in addition to jiu-jitsu, of course.

One of my most successful ventures in recent years was 50 consecutive S&S workouts I did from June through November of last year. I only abandoned it because the get-ups, amazing exercise though they are, were really bothering my right hip. So, in the mood of experimentation, I am going to try to take what was working for me and modify it to remove the get-ups and do one arm C&P ladders in their place. In essence, it is a hybrid of S&S and the ETK ROP: (i) three rounds of five reps in three exercises, (ii) 100 reps of swings, and (iii) C&P ladders. The warmup complex will be similar to S&S but instead of bridging, I'll use the Pump ("prokachka") exercise because it helps to warmup and stretch my left shoulder. First day was done with baby weights to test the idea.

1. Warmup x 5 x 3
2. Swings 5 x 10/10
3. C&P 3 x 1, 2, 3

Finally, I have been trying to rehab my shoulder using JS-band assisted stretches of the deltoids, triceps, pectorals, and upper back. It seems to be working, so I am making that part of the mandatory cool down.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:01 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.03AM; jiu-jitsu...two hours of pajama-clad fun, including a "power" version of the clock choke from knee on belly and then four or five 5-minute rounds.

Went for an hour long walk in the mountains after and then stretched in the evening.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:02 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.04PM; "Stupid and Sinister"...

1. Warmup Complex x 5 x 3
2. Swings 5 x 10/10 @ 16 kg
3. C&P 3 x 1, 2, 3 @ 16 kg

...Went for an hour hike in the late afternoon.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:55 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.05PM; jiu-jitsu...walked to jiu-jitsu, assisted with the beginner's fundamentals class, then some rolling and bounced.

Punched the clock on this one and walking home in the rain.

Aloha!

PS - Leaving this here for possible reference later...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:27 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Grappling Question - Do you do Omoplatas from Half Guard?
Asking for myself.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:29 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Asking for myself.
From knee shield guard I do, that's the main attacking point for omoplata from half guard. When top is trying to underhook you, make a frame and push his face away so that his underhooking arm straightens as he fights to maintain it. This opens the window to a potential omoplata entry against that arm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
Asking for myself.
From knee shield guard I do, that's the main attacking point for omoplata from half guard. When top is trying to underhook you, make a frame and push his face away so that his underhooking arm straightens as he fights to maintain it. This opens the window to a potential omoplata entry against that arm.
Thanks, FC.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:04 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.07PM; gonna follow my homebrewed complication of Simple and Sinister for a spell. Call it SS-Ausgeklügelter, if you will; maybe I can channel some of Hank Scorpio's dragon energy.

SS(A)-2....

1. Goblet Squat-Pump-Halo Warmup Complex 5 x 3
3. C&P 3 x 1, 2, 3 @ 16 kg

Finished with some dedicated JS-band stretching, which is really helping me a great deal. This is something I've always known I should be doing, and preferable to time-consuming yoga nonsense, for a rational-aesthete like myself. I tried BS'ing around with the yoga video I linked above for a bit and just felt an oppressive sense of boredom and xenoestrogens, so none of that thanks. With the bands I can target my problems directly and feel massive, immediate improvement.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.08; my bride's birthday so no jiu-jitsu...SS(A)-3.

1. Goblet Squat-Pump-Halo Warmup Complex 5 x 3
3. C&P x 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 4 @ 16 kg

...finished with JS-band assisted stretching. I will start to bump up the weight on the swings shortly.

Aloha!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next