IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:32 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.10AM; went for a two hour hike on a rainy morning, just enjoying be the lone gorilla in the mist.

Later, in the afternoon, 2 hours of jiu-jitsu. Class material was related to the americana, straight figure-4, and then a quick switch to a spinning armbar. Basically, following the opponent's resistance to complete the armbar from side control, one way or another.

After that was rounds of rolling; my first opponent was a grumpy old guy but after that I went against an amazing brown belt that gave me a complete smashing. He caught me with a reverse triangle and an inverted armbar from guard, and was on his way to a third when the bell sounded. Very impressive athlete; 6'2" but limber as hell and I can't say I had much for him.

There being no rest for the wicked, I then paired up with a big Samoan blue belt. I was able to manage him, passing, establishing side control, and then working for first a paper cutter but eventually moving around to north-south and finishing with a kimura. Honestly, kimuras seem to be one submission that continues to deliver for me so I should work on developing that more moving forward. Anyway, this kid was so strong that my bones rattled when he moved, and I had to play a pure pressure game.

After that I had a few more unremarkable rolls, concentrating on my omoplata from guard.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.11PM; Enter the Kettlebell - Right of Passage (ETK-ROP) Week 1, Day 1. Gonna give this a try so that I have something to work on at home...

1. Warmup Complex x 5 x 3
2. Clean & Press 3 x 1, 2, 3 @ 16 kg.
3. Swings x 9:00 = 234 @ 16 kg.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:30 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.12PM; jiu-jitsu...walked to the dojo, helped out with the fundamentals class, then walked home.

I'm ambivalent about what my body is feeling from the ETK-ROP workout. The swings are fine, but I doubt that the volume of pressing is going to work out. I may go back to my SS-Ausgeklügelter volumes; in that way I can use the same exercises: cleans, presses, swings, but with higher weights and lower volume.

Something to think about.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:40 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.13PM; jiu-jitsu...walked to the my new academy (www.manojiujitsu.com) for some training.

Light warmup, then a continuation of the class on armlocks from side control, and using an unusual armlock as a way to either submit or transition to mount, and finishing with an interesting method of cross-lapel choking, which would be classified as gyaku-juji-jime.

I finished the night with 5 x 5 min. rounds of rolling. It was a wildly mixed class, from rank beginners to professional murderers so I just tried to mirror the intensity and abilities of the partner. Finished the night by walking home and watching a documentary on Medal of Honor recipients over a plate of pork chops and peppers and a glass of Cognac.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.14PM; did a diagnostic workout to see what my level of strength is and the functionality of my left shoulder.

I took seven kettlebells, ranging from 8 kg to 32 kg, lined them up, and did escalating triples for each of the five basic movements: swing, clean, press, jerk, and snatch.

I kept going up in weight until I was doing it with the 32 kg bell, or stopping with the weight that I could comfortable do 3 reps with.

Basically, my total body strength is relatively fine, but my left shoulder is a major limiting factor which I will have to figure out.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:58 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.17AM; jiu-jitsu...well I paid for my kettlebell training with shoulder pain for a couple of days, but by Saturday it had chilled out enough to train.

The class was drilling attacks and sweeps from closed guard; my partner was the giant NZ Samoan, and every time I would sweep him over my shoulder would bark like a dog. Oh well. After that sparring; he's very powerful so I have to just flatten him out and work for kimura's and chokes, which is where I was at when the bell sounded.

More rolls with some less advanced people just to help them train, and then working with a superb brown belt on some drills to improve my knee shield guard. Specifically, when the opponent settles their weight on your shielding knee and collapses it down, pinching your knees together with a arm-weave style pass in mind, how to post up on your bottom elbow or hand and replace guard or do a technical standup so that they end up in a low single type position, where from there you can free your leg or roll to an omoplata.

Later in the day I went for a run in the mountains.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:59 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.18AM; in my quest to put my body back together again, I did something different: a beginner Pilates workout. I think I may need to spend some time rehabilitating myself.

I was low energy due to a bad sleep, but later I went for a slow, two-hour hike just to clear my head and be alone.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:26 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.19PM; jiujitsu...walked to the academy, assisted with the beginner class on mount escapes and cross collar chokes, and then did some light rolling with the beginners just playing guard.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:32 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.20PM; jiujitsu...was pounding rain and wind so no walk, but I did get myself to training. Class was excellent, a new black belt named Emile taught it, and it was on entering into mount from the arm weave through the legs from side control, and then variations when the opponent tries to force a turn towards you (armbar under the arm), or turn away from you (bow and arrow choke).

After that four or five rounds, a couple against very good brown belts that made me feel slow and ineffective. Not because I was losing mind you, just because I wasn't as dominant as I was a few years back. Partly also, these are people I've just met, and I don't feel comfortable going hard but neither of them had any such scruples.

Oh well...I am thankful to be training again, in a nice academy, with nice people, many of whom are very good at jiujitsu. That's all that really matters.

In the late PM, after dinner and cognac, I began practicing some of the Jørgen Peter Müller system, to continue with the process of un-fucking my body.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:

Oh well...I am thankful to be training again, in a nice academy, with nice people, many of whom are very good at jiujitsu. That's all that really matters.

=D> Happy Thanksgiving, Fat Cat.

W.B. Yeats

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:28 pm 
Jesus Christ®

A very happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, johno!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:04 am 

Whudja do to your shoulder? The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution has been a minor miracle for me. Chronic (mild) pain & weakness (at some angles) seems to have more or less disappeared after just 3 sessions.

Here's a piece from Slate on Müller:
https://slate.com/human-interest/2011/0 ... video.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:48 pm 
Jesus Christ®

Quote:
Whudja do to your shoulder? The Seven Minute Rotator Cuff Solution has been a minor miracle for me. Chronic (mild) pain & weakness (at some angles) seems to have more or less disappeared after just 3 sessions.

Here's a piece from Slate on Müller:
https://slate.com/human-interest/2011/0 ... video.html
Thanks Jim, I have the Seven Minute Solution on my short list of things to try. Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.21PM; more of the Müller System. Aloha!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:52 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.22AM; Happy Thanksgiving...jiujitsu in the AM for a special holiday open mat which turned into an absolute zoo. I had thought a handful of people would come, but dozens showed up from white to black belt and some excellent wrestlers as well. I trained for an hour, working on knee shield half guard, and then bounced when the mat got too crowded.

In the afternoon I went for a 2 hour hike and then studied more of the Müller System late in the evening.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:30 am 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.23AM; spent the morning with the family at the beach, boogieboarding and bodysurfing.

Later in the day, Müller System followed by 100 swings with a 20 kg kettlebell.

Aloha!

Last edited by Fat Cat on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:33 am 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.24PM; ES-1/40...Müller System then:

1. KB Swing x 40
2. DB Row 2 x 5
3. DB One Arm Press 2 x 5
4. Deadlift 2 x 5
5. Laputin Situps x 5

...ended the day with a 2 hour hike.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.25PM; ES-2/40...took the family to Waimānalo Beach for the morning, then this workout. My son was catching some decent waves and it was incredibly sweet to see him enjoying himself so completely.

1. KB Swing x 40
2. DB Row 2 x 5
3. DB One Arm Press 2 x 5
4. Deadlift 2 x 5
5. Laputin Situps x 5

...ended the day with Müller System before bed.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:22 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.26PM; jiu-jitsu...assisting with the beginner's class: bottom side control > hip escape to guard > closed guard to sit-up sweep > mount to americana > americana defense to armbar finish. A simple and logical progression that beginner's can understand individually and in relation to each other.

A little bit of positional sparring at the end; basically my job is to pull guard and force them to work on their passing, but never to finish them, and even if I sweep or take the back I just back off and let them reset.

Walked to and from the academy. My body is incredibly tight and sore and I can't figure out why.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:11 pm 
Jesus Christ®

For later: https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/de ... lower-back

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:29 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.27PM; the question get my shit together continues...Astanga-yoga x 30 minutes. Aloha!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:39 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.28PM; Astanga-yoga x 15:00. Aloha!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:30 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.11.29PM; I had a crazy schedule this week which is just finally settling down, so I wasn't able to make it to jiu-jitsu but I did this in the evening before supper...Astanga-yoga x 35:00. I'm just trying to use this down time for repair work. Basically, thus far I have tried:

-Calisthenics
-JS-band Stretching
-Weight Training
-Pilates
-Müller System

All of them confer some benefit, some more than others, but nothing has really helped me with the stiffness, soreness, and pain in my hip and shoulder. I'm hoping that the "softening" effect of yoga might be the ticket out.

Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.12.01AM; went for a mountain run x 4.5 miles, then jiu-jitsu open mat in the afternoon. Aloha!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:35 pm 
Jesus Christ®

2018.12.02AM; Astanga-yoga x 45:00 and then a two hour trail run. Aloha!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 Next