IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, October 17th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Went out at Windansea, where today the lefts had no shape and the rights were good with lots of chances for turns or even a tube.

Got one right at the beginning that was super fun with a bunch of turns to shore, then a bunch of lefts that went nowhere.

Partway through, I decided to reduce my lengthy mantra of "feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, timing, have fun" today. I cut it to "feel, connect, be present, flow, style" and noticed that I had more attention and energy for things like reapplying sunscreen and actually focusing on my arm position for surfing.

At the end I waited and waited, and with time dwindling down I finally had an opportunity. This dude who looked like Ebenezzer Scrooge was in my way of paddling into a wave and yelling "hey! hey!" to keep me from running into him. I thought at first "that sucks," and then a few seconds later, "maybe there'll be a better one." Sure enough within 10-15 seconds this big set wave came and I was the only one in position. Got a nice backside carve, then a snap on the close-out, rebounded to the left and took it into shore. Stoked! Also happy I stayed positive.

----

Left posterior shoulder started bugging me yesterday evening and got worse today, I was hoping I could avoid internal rotation training (and have for the past few weeks), but it seems to be the only easy solution.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20, 15

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20, 15

Then I thought my feet have been clumsy while surfing, and that seems related to weak add/abductors, so I did:

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 x 2 sets
and
Standing Cable Adduction with Ab Strap 20lbs x 15, 12 each leg

At this point, I figured I might as well throw shins back in, because that seems to help too:

DB Shin Raise 27.5lbs x 20, 20, 15, 15

----

Meditation Class

Taught at the retirement home. Had about 8 people. Focused on forgiveness, repeating the word on the breath in and out. Did a compassion meditation and reflected on what we are grateful for.

A couple people said some very kind words about the class, or meditating in general. Felt very good to hear as I have been thinking of stopping teaching.

----

Figured if I'm throwing all that stuff in above, I might as well go full bore - so included the things I would have added to Back day:

Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets (very hard to keep good lumbar position)

BB Ulnar Deviation 9's x 20 x 2 sets
and
BB Radial Deviation 9's x 20 x 2 sets

----

Lastly, I found out that yesterday my local secret spot was going off and uncrowded while I was in the gym lifting, but part of the reason I skipped was due to too much sun exposure. My buddy got a tube and said a number of other people did too, with tons of good waves. Glad he scored, and glad I let my skin recover, but don't want to prioritize lifting over surfing or surfing without enough sunscreen causing me to miss another session.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, October 18th

Worked 8am-1pm no breaks, so opted to get up extra early to get a surf in beforehand.

It's been a long time since I've surfed before sunrise, but what a great way to start the day! The sun only appeared the last 5 minutes I was in the water, but it was shining through the breaking waves and coloring them a golden-green and glowing white.

Got a nice wave off the bat, that maybe I could have stalled for a tube, but instead got a few turns on. Then another one that was a bit weaker but still got me to shore. At the end, a few people paddled around me and I got grumpy and then thought "Bram, you always get angry about this stuff and it never does you any good, let it go." Surprisingly, I did let it go. Shortly after a nice set wave came to me. It looked pretty much un-makeable, but I figured I'd just throw myself into it and maybe ride straight into shore if I didn't fall. Well, I made the drop and happened to be in a great position with a gorgeous open faced wave, so I pivoted off the bottom and went into 3 turns in a row right to the beach. Had my foot right on the tail (rare) and used my arms well (rare).

When I got in, I was thinking "holy shit, that was a good wave." I asked my buddy on the beach (who's told me to work on my hand position) if he saw the wave and he gave me a big grin and thumbs-up and said good job on keeping your hands up. Rad!

----

Meditation 15 minutes - noting what comes up + Compassion Mediation + Gratitude

Played a mix of Dean Evenson from Spotify - flutes and light piano and whale sounds. People very much appreciated it!

----

Feeling still depleted from the sun, missing a meal due to an enthusiastic person who gobbled up my snack time, and additionally from getting up at 430am, so taking my lunch break today to eat and hopefully nap.

----

I think I missed the window for good surf by about 45 minutes tonight, I heard multiple breaks were excellent, but by the time I got to the beach the wind had turned and a new swell has started to fill in making the breaks act different.

Surfing 45 minutes

Managed 2 good waves, one towards the beginning and another towards the end. I noticed that the waves had begun to break off their normal position, re-positioned and managed a tricky drop into a few turns. Much smaller and not as nice shape as this morning. I did notice on my last few waves that I have gotten good at eyeing the top of the wave which sets up turns off the top, but am neglecting looking at the bottom of the wave which sets up how deep my bottom turn is. One such turn (not looking at the bottom enough) cost me completing the turn and subsequently losing the wave.

Surfed before sunrise and watched the sun come up, then surfed late afternoon and watched the sunset. Awesome day! And another good day of work too!

Last edited by Bram on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 19th

Although my training of late may seem haphazard, I'm merely trying to fill in the gaps because I will be forced to skip a workout and have added some things to sessions that have already transpired.

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets

Cable Neck Harness - Extension (chin tuck) 10lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
Cable Neck Harness - Flexion (chin tuck) 10lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Standing Twist x 7 each side x 4 sets
and
Ba Gua Tea Exercise #1 x 8 each x 3 sets, #2 x 8 each side
and
Ginga from Capoeira x 8 each side x 4 sets
and
High Knees x 10 each side x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Secret Spot #3 going off, at one point only one other person out. Got a handful of long, good, nice-sized waves. And then I re-applied sunscreen and got toxic in my thinking out of nowhere, there were just 5 people out at that point and I started thinking badly about them, even though they were friendly - it was weird. Nothing I could do would eliminate it either. My client, who's a New Age thinker, suggested that maybe it was the Universe protecting me from something bad. In that 30 minute gap, where I didn't catch anything, a BIG wave came to me, but I had paddled out of position due to a random sense of fear. Maybe she was right?

Last wave was a bit smaller. The entire session I had been muscling my way through my turns. Successfully, but with a lot of energy. When I surf I have begun eying the top of the wave or a point on the shoulder and then hit that as I turn. This last wave, I noticed a spot at the bottom of the wave and thought "oh, I'll start my turn there." Came out of the bottom with a lot of speed and off the top with almost no effort. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, October 20th

Although there was a high likelihood of excellent surf this morning, I wanted to hit the weights as I have been making some changes.

The risk with adding more exercises is always that I will wear myself out and have to decrease my surfing frequency. But, the exercises I added should provide additional benefits to my surfing toolbox (the serratus work helps with pop-ups, the trap work helps with grabbing the rail for turns).

At about the second set of bench press I decided to focus on my breathing: strong exhale through the mouth on the concentric, strong inhale through the nose on the eccentric. This dramatically reduced my strength and endurance relative to last week, but will likely pay off quickly...in terms of something. Better form usually does.

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Chest - Bent Arm, Chest - Straight Arm, Biceps, Rear Delts, Triceps, Obliques

Scapulae Push-Ups x 20 x 4 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1-2 x 12-15 each side x 4 sets

DB Bench Press 65's x 10, 65's x 5, 55's x 8, 55's x 6
and
DB Shrugs 40's x 12, 35's x 12, 35's x 10, 35's x 9

DB Side Bend [5 second eccentric, 5 second concentric] 45lbs x 5 each x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 15, 10's x 12, 10's x 10, 10's x 10

Triceps Pushdown 50lbs x 12, 50lbs x 10, 50lbs x 8, 42.5lbs x 9

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 12, 5lbs x 15

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 15 x 2 sets

Repeat Stretches adding Glutes - Abductors

Bizarre workout. I was interrupted almost constantly, I told numerous people that I was sorry but I was focused and tried to politely excuse myself. Slight pain in my left posterior shoulder during triceps pushdowns, felt like my lats or something was weak and wasn't supporting my scapula.

----

Surfing 1 hour

It was hot again and I opted to wait until 530pm or so to go out, with the exception of my first or second wave that I surfed okay, I surfed terribly. Passed up waves because I thought other people would take them, blew turns numerous times, meh. At least it was beautiful. Celebrated with a big hot chocolate so that helped fo' sho'.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 22nd

Hanging Knee Raises w/ TVA x 4 sets
and
DB Side Bend w/ TVA x 4 sets

Surfing 30 minutes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 22nd - Back and Biceps

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Lats - Bent at Waist, Lats - Overhead, Hip Flexors, Abs - Upward Dog

Warm-Up
Wall Slides x 20 x 2 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 each x 2 sets

Main Workout
Chin-Ups x 11, 8, 8, 7
and
BOSU Sit-Ups w/ TVA - Green Band x 4 sets

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 15 x 4 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly 2nd Setting x 15 x 4 sets

DB Hammer Curls 30's-35's x 5-10 each arm x 4 sets

Cool Down
BB Ulnar Deviation 9's x 20 each x 2 sets
and
BB Radial Deviation 9's x 20 each x 2 sets

Repeat Stretches plus Abs - Back Bridge

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:23 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 23rd

Couple things today, even though there was no activity.

1. According the the PT at my gym, elbow elevated external rotation work is a no-no unless you're under 30 or an overhead athlete. So cuban presses, elbow on knee external rotation and the like are out for basically everyone. On the plus side, that is one less exercise to include. On the other hand, I don't like that I have been putting people at risk.

2. I feel extremely depleted. I've had a ton of energy after the same workout I did yesterday, minus the handful of light exercises I added: 2 sets of tva, 2 sets of low traps, 4 sets of forearms. Well, I can only guess that it is the extra work. So forget the extra work then. Heard the surf was great today, had the time, and had no interest in it at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:25 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, October 24th

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Chest, Triceps, Glutes, Obliques

DB Bench 65's x 8, 8, 7, 6
and
45 Degree Side Bend Isometric - Hands Behind Head w/ Glute and TVA Activation x 1 minute each x 4 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 10, 8, 7, 9
and
Pushdowns 50lbs x 12, 9; 42.5lbs x 8, 7

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 15R/12L, 5lbs x 10, 6; 3lbs x 12-15

Repeat Stretches

Meditate 10 minutes - focusing on the breath at the point of the chest + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1 hour

Crazy low tide. Walked and walked across spongy topped rock. Got out there, lucked into some good sized waves, but surfed awkwardly. And my left inside knee (which is my back leg) felt weak, on two waves I did a big bottom turn to set up for a carve or something and my knee just kind of gave out. Didn't fall, but couldn't transfer the energy. Hmm. Knee feels fine walking around and at the gym. And gonna try to add recognize to my surf mantra....saw a couple sick turns get made by a few different surfers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:12 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, October 25th

Seated Yoga + Noting Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Played music during noting meditation, but I think this style is better served with a natural environment (the beach, the woods, even a city).

Doing external rotation work two days in a row goes against my principles, but I didn't like the way I felt after yesterday. I've been extending the range as an experiment (from 0-90 to 0-180), but am returning to the old ways.

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15, 15, 15

After watching our PT demonstrate reverse fly's on Tuesday, I thought I had correctly changed my form, but I checked with him after and he said to make it a smooth motion and to pull from the backs of shoulders towards the low-mid back. I squeezed the shoulder blades down and back at the end, but plan to modify next time. He said the same thing for rows too.

Cable Reverse Fly 15bs x 15, 15, 12, 10

Lastly, I mentioned my L knee felt weak yesterday during surfing - and it has a few times in the last couple weeks as well. I had brought in my squat stance months ago in an attempt to change my surf stance from quite wide to narrower, but I think due to my long legs it's been too narrow.

Within 2 reps I could sense an impingement, weakness or tightness on the L side. But by the third set it felt mostly worked out.

Stretch Legs, Chest and Biceps

BB Squats - Wide Stance 95lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Lying Hamstring Curls (proper low back alignment) 30lbs x 9, 7, 5

45 Degree Lower Back Extensions (slight bend in knees) x 5-10 x 3 sets

1-Leg Calf Raise x 8 each

Surfing 45-60 minutes

Went out at about 530 (dark by 630) to the best wave around. 30 heads or so in the water. Terrific waves but very lully. So you'd get a set of 5 waves, then a 10 minute break. I went out with one surfing mantra (including timing), but switched timing to rhythm right before I came in. Got one wave kinda early...this big set came through and instead of going for it I just paddled for the horizon. I duck-dove a beautiful wave and spun around for a foamy wave that I raced along to not get clipped then squeezed in a couple speedy turns on the inside.

It got darker and darker and I was just out of position a handful of times, finally a set came and the waves got picked off until it was just me. I scratched into it and it was just this gorgeous left. It was dark and I didn't trust myself too much, but I still went for a decent bottom turn into a top-side carve, almost got hung up, dropped down hooting, went into a cutback, made that for more self-cheering, then a quick turn on the inside.

It felt like the mantra "feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun" worked very well on that last wave, but it was still incomplete. It felt like there was a path to that wave and I was close to it, but off-tune a bit, like I was a little high when I should be low and a little low when I should be high. Another way would be the wave was playing a song and I was dancing along but a little out of sync. Maybe "smooth" to add?

Oh....I've been eating rice, broccoli, beans or meat, avocado or walnuts non-stop and my body feels gooooood.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:53 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, October 26th

Surfing 1.75 hours

Strange day. Drove around looking at different spots for 45 minutes, but couldn't make a decision. Finally went with a place that is easy to get to shore to reapply sunscreen and that had some decent waves. Went out, ate shit immediately on my first two waves, but then paddled into a nice left. Pumped once to gain speed, started to set up for a snap, for some reason decided to wait a beat, then got a great turn right into a cutback. Got a few more fun waves and I felt for once that I was pausing enough to sync with the waves speed. Reapplied sunscreen and literally sat for an hour while I watched the 5 people out there paddle around me and either take waves or back-off. Haha, I might have had one chance in those 60 minutes that I passed up.

I don't give two shits, that one good wave was awesome and now it's the weekend. Hope to surf a bit better tomorrow. :heart:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, October 27th

Had an easy night in: a big meal of sausage, rice, broccoli plus 2lbs of cut watermelon; did some reading and turned the lights off early.

Woke up feeling pumped up.

Stretch Hip Flexors, Biceps, Calves

Box Jumps 42" x 10 x 4 sets
and
Clapping Push-ups x 10 x 4 sets

Roundhouse Kicks to Bag x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Clapping Pull-ups x 2, 1, 1, 1

45 Degree Low Back Extension - Isometric (knees softly bent, lumbar in good position) x 60, 60, 60, 40 seconds

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Quads, Groin - Butterfly, Seated Hamstring, Seated Straddle Sides and Front, Lying Twist, Abs, Biceps, Lats, Chest, Triceps, Neck, Cow Faced Pose (could do on one side and almost on other)

Article on cow faced pose:

https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/mission-possible

----

San Diego was hit with a massive fog bank this morning. I could hardly see a tree a block away. After finishing at the gym and then cruising through a couple different surf spots the fog just began to burn off. I headed to where I thought it would be best - Secret Spot #3. Some breaks handle pure swells (waves from just one direction) and this place handles combo's well, and that is what we had today.

Surfing 1.75 hours

The waves were outstanding looking, you had a right point that was reeling off waves and an A-frame wave to the north. The right was crowded so I headed north. The first 45 minutes seemed like a repeat of yesterday: always someone deeper, or in the way on the take-off. Finally I got a large, but mushy wave - did a couple slow cutbacks, but was still amped.

Re-applied sunscreen and finally got into a large wave with good shape, managing a few fun but non-critical turns. Then a big left that had me going "what am I thinking taking this." I dropped in, set the line and watched the wave bending and walling up. I didn't stall, but as I neared the end of the walled up section I could see the wave was vertical and throwing just behind me. Sure enough, a fellow surfer said the wave was barreling the entire way behind me. BUT! Now I know what a barreling wave looks like and I can attempt to stall, drag my arm, step on the tail, something. Psyched.

Went back out and got a couple really fun set wave rights. The best was a couple chill turns, then a hard snap that I took back towards the power source and into another cutback.

Although I only got 4-5 waves in nearly 2 hours, they were all quality - on a glassy day with good energy from the people in the water. Came in grinning ear-to-ear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:13 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, October 28th

Surfing 4.5 hours

Going back to this morning, having a big breakfast around 8am: avocado, beans, rice, broccoli. Then a hot chocolate and 2 coffees before getting in the water at 130pm.

Surfed the best wave in town (apologizing for my obscure references, but it's considered bad etiquette to name drop good surf spots). I had checked it around 10am, noted that it looked fun, but the tide was filling in and this spot is better on a lower tide.

Got a decent left that I was out of sync with right off the bat, then an insider that provided 4 turns including a few on the rail - been a little while where I could lay into any turn like this. Then a few fun rights, smaller but 3-4 turns on.

Then I got a bit greedy, got called out by a local for paddling past everyone, then he got further pissed when I took a set wave without communicating (his buddy wanted the right, I took the left but didn't respond when he asked which way I was going). I apologized and let them take a few, but then was jinxed for an hour - nothing. Finally a guy took pity on me (literally, as I had just said to him I had been sitting for an hour and he backed off a wave for me to have it), then a big left came and the deeper guy backed off. Got two turns, the first a heavy carve into a smaller cutback.

Reapplied sunscreen and the rest of the session I was on fire. I belted two of the best backside snaps of my life on a right, I got a couple big carves on lefts and a punchy snap on another. But just a lot of waves and a lot of turns. And I had good vibes the rest of the time, talked to a bunch of people including one guy named Kevin who told me I got him so amped up he broke his own hour of waiting.

Fantastic sunset and a cute young couple on a big rock right in front of it as I came in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:02 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, October 29th

The surf was good today again, and I had time.....but my body is tired and satisfied.

A seated stretch + Noting Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Played a recording of Ocean waves on the loudspeaker. Think a standing stretch is better.

Nature Time 15 minutes (watching a flock of 24 pelicans surfing the waves, bees on lavender, the scent of jasmine, hummingbirds buzzing and water crashing and spilling off a rock)

After I finished, I watched the surf for awhile. There were plenty of waves and plenty of good surfers, but I noticed that sometimes the surfer would leave energy on the table. Like one guy would get to the bottom of the wave, wait, then do a deeper bottom turn and smash into the lip. Then the next guy would bottom turn, but cut it short and only make it partway down, and then come up with a small amount of speed.

"Energy?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, October 30th

Surfing 2 hours

Fuck. I can't believe I keep getting blessed with outstanding waves. Went to secret spot #3: pumping, barely anyone out, perfect wind. Got a bunch of waves, all but one was a right (and I hardly ever go right). Lots of turns, good flow. Best wave was a number of rights with a bunch of turns and a big left with one big carve off the beginning. Took a tiny wave in and there were so many turns my quads were burning. My front knee which never usually bugs me did feel a little weak today, so legs tomorrow is the plan.

Note: tried "energy" as a focus today, and it sucked haha.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:00 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, Happy Halloween

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Biceps, Lats, Rear Delts, Chest, Glutes, Abs, Obliques, Hip Flexors

1A) DB Bench 60's x 10, 10, 8; 55's x 10
1B) DB Seated Shoulder Press 40's x 10, 8, 8, 8
1C) BB Skull-Crusher's 60lbs x 7, 50lbs x 7, 6, 5
1D) 45 Degree Side Plank w/ Glute and TVA Contraction x 1 minute, +7.5lbs x 1 minute x 3 sets

2) DB Side Lying External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 15, 12, 10

A PT at the gym suggested the following changes to my rotator cuff form:

A) Bring the elbow 10-15 degrees in front of the torso. I have traditionally done this with the elbow directly below the shoulder.

B) Initiate the movement by drawing the back of the shoulder towards the bottom of the thoracic spine. He said to not even think about it as a rotator cuff exercise, but as a shoulder blade exercise.

It was challenging mentally and worked quite well.

----

Surfing 1.25 hours

In my ongoing quest to get my mind right for surfing, I decided to add in an old focal point: "know when to back off."

A few years ago I was skateboarding in Colorado and having an awesome time carving this bike trail down a long hill. I had a mental focus at the time of "do your best, let go, no expectations." So when I barely completed a fairly steep section and was faced with a severely steep section I said "no expectations" and had a vicious wipeout on a sharp turn. I easily could have killed or injured someone and was left cut-up and convinced I needed a change. But with the introduction of various other focus points, my tendency to put myself in precarious situations had diminished and I ended up removing it

Like every addition that seems worthwhile I was very nervous to try it. Even though my first wave I surfed rather well (a frothy almost barrel), I was still on the fence. Today was one of my top-20 surf sessions of all time, maybe top-10. I got so many waves, and did so many good, critical turns - snaps, carves and cutbacks. I finally stuck to my good sunscreen usage (one of my big problems with my mental focus up until now). The only negative was my damn negative internal dialogue. One surfer out of the 5-6 people that was out today did a little bit of back-paddling, getting in my way, that kind of stuff - and I gave him a stink eye.

Right after my best turn of the day....a big carve where the fins released and the board swung around backwards in the pocket, before the fins re-engaged and I got pulled back into it....my leash snapped and my board went caroming towards the rocks. It was a fairly big swim and I kept visualizing my board being shattered, battered, etc. I thought "shit, I should have been nice to that guy." When I was almost to shore one of the other surfers had seen my board and rescued it without a ding. So grateful! I was hooting for everyone and talking to everyone except one guy, and a person I had been nice to saved it.

The lesson I feel for today, be nice to everyone. That one guy I stink-eyed could have seen my board and said "fuck that guy," and my board could have been ruined.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, November 1st

Seated Yoga (forward fold, side bend, twist, forward fold) + Meditation 15 minutes (focusing on the breath at the sternum) + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.75 hours

Surfed Windansea for just under 45 minutes, of which I caught one wave. Felt like the tide was rushing in which was causing the waves to break in random spots and cut down on the frequency. That one wave I caught was great though. This is one of the few spots where I'll paddle in and then have a number of seconds to debate between going left or right. Didn't feel like I surfed up to it's potential at all, but made it all the way to shore.

Then got out and walked down the beach towards my house, saw a break with no one out and even though it creeped me out a bit - decided to hop in by myself. Quickly scored 6 good waves and surfed quite well, then ate shit on 4 quite nice waves in a row for who knows what reason. Then a bunch of people came out and I probably got another 6 waves over the next 45 minutes. Surfed super good though - hard turns, good connection.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, November 3rd

Went home for a few days, no rental car when I showed up at the rental agency.

Meditation 5 minutes (repeat "impermanence" on each breath out)

They called me up, then upgraded me for being relaxed. Nice!

3.5 mile hike

Sunday, November 4th

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Lats, Hip Flexors, Abs

Working on a new form for shoulder blade movement as explained to me by Derek Samuels, one of the PT's at my gym. Take the outer back of your shoulder blades and connect them smoothly to the bottom of the thoracic spine as you pull.

Lat Pull-Down Overhand 90lbs x 15, 12, 9; 80lbs x 9
and
Seated Cable Rows 70lbs x 15, 15, 12, 10

DB Hammer Curls 22.5's x 15, 12, 10; 20's x 10 (focusing on keeping shoulder blades locked in place, hard on L)
and
Machine Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 12, 9, 9, 12

Hanging Knee Raise w/ Neutral Spine and TVA (set shoulder blades on sets 3, 4) x 8, 5, 5, 4

Repeat Stretches

Monday, November 5th

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Quads, Groin - Bent, Hamstrings, Groin - Straight, Side Bend, Neck, Wrists, Forearms, Rear Delts, Biceps, Chest, Lats, Triceps, Side Bends

Squats - Wide 95lbs x 15, 15, 15, 12
and
DB Calf Raise (slight bend in knees) 30lbs x 20, 20, 15, 15

DB Stationary Lunge (setting shoulder blades, hard on L) 25's x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Lying Hamstring Curl (slight bend in knees) 70lbs x 12 x 4 sets
and
45 Degree Low Back Extension (slight bend in knees) x 10 x 4 sets

Repeat Lower Body Stretches

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:31 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, November 7th

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 x 4 sets
and
Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

Neck Extension with Harness (retracting chin first) 10lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
Neck Flexion with Harness (retracting chin first) 10lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Surfing 1 hour - tide was really low and lots of rocks were exposed. Got a couple fun waves, made a couple waves I thought I was going to fall on or hit the rocks on. At the end I took a wave that closed out due to the shallow conditions and took a surfboard to the low forearm. Ouch. Neck was more flexible (to look over shoulder and set up my angle for paddling into the wave).

Meditation 10 minutes (focusing on breath) + Compassion Meditation

Note: I've been following a PT's recommendation to only do elbow by the side work for internal and external rotation and I don't like the way I feel. In the past whenever I've done more than 4 sets of rotator cuff work I feel exhausted, Thursday was no exception. But it was hot as fuck and the waves were small, so a day of rest is appreciated.

Thursday, November 8th

Seated Stretches

Meditation 15 minutes (focusing on breath)

Nature Time 5 minutes

Meditation 15 minutes (focusing on breath)

Note: should have done 10 minutes for the second bout of meditation and finished with 5 minute compassion meditation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:57 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, November 9th

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Chin-Ups x 7, 5, 3, 3
and
Seated Cable Rows 42.5lbs x 15, 15, 15, 12
and
Cable Reverse Fly 20lbs x 20, 15, 12; 15lbs x 15

Seated Lat Pull-Down - Parallel Grip 85lbs x 15 x 4 sets
and
BB Incline Bench Rows 65lbs x 15, 12, 10; 75lbs x 12

BB Curl 60lbs x 7, 6; 50lbs x 8
and
DB Hammer Curl 25's x 10 each, 10 each, 8 each
and
BB Reverse Curl 50lbs x 8, 7

Hanging Knee Raise x 12, 8, 8, 6
and
Alternating Decline Leg Raise x 6 each, 5 each; Flat Bench x 5 each, 4 each
and
DB Side Bend 45lbs x 15, 50lbs x 15, 15; 45lbs x 15

BB Reverse Wrist Curl 25lbs x 20, 15
and
BB Wrist Curl 40lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Repeat Stretches

Notes: a couple things...at first on incline rows, I pulled at a weird angle to get a big range. Then I pulled straight up and it felt safer. Drove shoulder blades down and back on every set. Sucked tva in on every core exercise.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:26 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, November 10th

Surfing 1.25 hours

Super small waves, gloriously clear water, lots of friendly faces. Felt like I surfed well, but maybe cut down on my excess movement? Feel like I use more energy than I should - good surfers seem to hold quite still and then just move their arms slightly - like Tai Chi.

Skateboarding 30 minutes

Went down to the beach to watch a terrific sunset, but noticed on the way that my skateboarding felt a bit off. So ended up doing about 20 runs down this one hill, experimenting with different things. Focusing on smooth movement seemed to work quite well. Be interesting to try and apply that to my surfing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, November 11th - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Core

DB Bench 65's x 12, 8, 7, 5
and
DB Shrugs 35's x 20 x 4 sets

Push-Ups x 15, 10, 7, 8
and
Cable Reverse Fly's 15lbs x 20 x 4 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 8, 8, 6, 5
and
DB Lateral Raise 10's x 12 x 4 sets

Cable Triceps Push-Down's 42.5-50lbs x 4 sets
and
Cable Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets

Hanging Knee Raises x 4 sets
and
Alternating Lying Leg Raises x 4 sets
and
DB Side Bend 45-50lbs x 4 sets

Surfing 1.25 hours

Caught a lot of waves, but every single one either had zero face (I'd drop in, start to turn....and the wave would be over) OR I would be out of sync and ride it on my belly because I wasn't paddling fast enough/wasn't far enough from shore when I started paddling. Blame it on the huge amount of upper body for making my arms a little tired and the capricious nature of the Ocean for the short rides.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:41 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, November 12th - Legs

Meditation 5 minutes [noting] + Compassion Meditation

I feel so over teaching meditation. Almost 5 years. Hmmm.

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Slow Front Kick x 20 each x 4 sets

BB Squats - Wide 95lbs x 15, 115lbs x 12, 10, 10
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 15 x 4 sets

DB Walking Lunges 25's x 15 each, 30's x 12 each x 3 sets
and
Seated Calf Raise 45lbs x 15, 12, 12, 12

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Cable Adduction 20lbs x 15 each x 4 sets (last few reps of sets 3 and 4 on L side couldn't do full ROM)

Lying Hamstring Curls 75lbs x 10, 80lbs x 6, 5, 5 (felt slight strain in L hamstring on last set, this continued the rest of the workout)
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raise 30lbs x 20, 15, 12, 10

45 Degree Lower Back (straight legs, flat back, squeeze glutes out of the bottom ROM) 25lbs x 10 x 4 sets

The last time I did lower back extensions, I tried with a slightly bent leg and without the glute squeeze. I think that's what predisposed me to having the strain today. It doesn't feel too bad, but since I haven't strained my hamstrings in years, obviously it's not a good thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, November 13th

Surfing 1 hour

Got up at 5, then drug my feet to get in the water at 645. Sun rose about 646. Only a few people in the water, crystal clear water, beautiful sky above lightly touched with clouds. Waves were glassy with light Santa Ana winds blowing off-shore. Got a bunch of good waves, did a bunch of good turns. Tried to duck under for a tube and that got me deep in the pocket for some nice turns. Then I started to pull-in on a little wave and got scared, but was too deep to turn and got tossed. So that's the reason I don't go for barrels: fear.

Surfing 1.5 hours

Got off at 11am with a break, so raced to the beach as the winds were predicted to pick-up between 12 and 1. The waves weren't throwing over for tubes, but they were terrifically fun. I brought my 7'6" out for both sessions and the board was a gem. There were a ton of waves that the few guys further out didn't go for, but that board paddles fast and I picked off a bunch of insiders. Managed some nice snaps and drops and a couple set waves to boot.

Have an even longer mantra: feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, know when to back off, care, be humble.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:02 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, November 14th

Surfing 1 hour

Got up at 3am for no good reason, surfed 645-745. Got a couple waves at the beginning, but the board felt like it was too little for today. Instead of accelerating, it felt a bit dead in the water. After 20-30 minutes, this one guy had paddled around everyone for the 8th time in a row and I asked him not to do that, trying to explain that it was like getting in line for the bus and cutting everyone each time he did it. He apologized, but kept doing it, now going so deep he didn't make anything and then leaving looking frustrated. In turn, I caught nothing the rest of the session - taking waves that closed out, or missing them.

Surfing 2.5 hours

Determined to be a polite surfer and adamant with my sunscreen application, I paddled out after driving around a bit. First, I locked my keys in my car, with my skateboard leaning on it (I skated the 1 block to the beach to see if there were waves, it was firing). Tossed the skateboard under the car, grabbed my sunscreen and hoped for the best.

Immediately began getting nice glassy waves. The water clarity was perhaps the best I've seen at this place, saw plenty of orange Garibaldi swimming around underneath. Every wave followed basically the same routine: drop in, do a turn, go for a big bottom turn, bog down on my next turn.

In a not related event I asked a local good surfer who I saw fading a turn (basically getting himself into the fastest most powerful part of the wave) what cues he was looking for to set that up. He didn't answer that, but he said I keep my foot too far off the center line.

I paid attention and my foot was about as centered as it could be, but for some reason I'm not burying the rail on my bottom turns - basically shoving one side of the board under water which gives you a huge amount of speed. I've done it before and you kind of kick the board out away from the bottom of the wave and past your center at the last second, then allow that to rebound you up. It basically looks like you're gonna fall on your face. I have no idea why I'm not doing it, but that would explain some of my sluggishness.

Reapplied sunscreen three times, which is just a little too seldomly. More or less a polite surfer 100% of the time. Definitely friendly. Tired as fuck.

----

As an aside, and not just in surfing, I find myself endlessly trying to improve and self-criticize instead of just doing my best and being satisfied with it. I won't go in for sunscreen unless I get a decent wave, which is stupid. The ocean is on it's own schedule, but my skin needs to be taken care of as for one example. Endlessly tinkering with my workouts is another. It's like I need validation 100% of the time that what I'm doing is right, and even if for some reason I get that validation for a stretch....I start doubting myself endlessly.

Gotta find a way to let go of my concerns with the results - trust in the process or something of that ilk. It's extremely fatiguing and most of the time, I'm not even able to give my best cause I'm so tired from chasing perfection in all things.

---

There's a Japanese concept called wabisabi which means roughly "the beauty of imperfection." Legend holds that a student fastidiously cleaned the garden to prove himself to his master, but just before showing it, he shook a tree so that its flowers fell to the floor. Something like this would be helpful to let seep into my life. I probably got 15 very fun waves today, with at least one good turn each, on a motherfucking beautiful Wednesday, (with a gorgeous Spanish girl in the line-up talking to me a bit) and yet I'm focused on the flaws: this guy didn't follow the rules, my second turn wasn't hard enough, I need a good enough wave to reapply sunscreen, the girl didn't ask me out (heh).

If you read this, xox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:21 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, November 15th

First work appointment didn't show up, so

Yoga 5 minutes + Meditation 5 minutes + Savasana 1 minute

----

Taught meditation class:

Started with light yoga, a few minutes of deep breathing, a new meditation called "welcome to the party." You repeat that phrase whenever you think about your knee or your kids or whatever. When I felt they had enough, I put them in Savasana for a few minutes while I gave a little talk on wabisabi and then did some body awakening drills, followed by reflecting on what we were grateful for.

The class only took about 35 minutes and afterwards a new student asked why wasn't the class longer. I asked her if she felt good from class, and when she said yes, I said it was long enough. Told her the goal was to leave having enjoyed it, not having done X amount of time.

Focused on integrating the concept of wabisabi into the teaching of the class and my personal training sessions today. It was a relief to let the script go.

----

Doing more research into the concepts, I found this excerpt:

"The aesthetic philosophy of Kyoto's oldest and most famous inn (the 300-year-old Tawaraya) boils down to two unswerving wabi-sabi-like principles that, according to its owner are: (1) "No one object or element in any room shall stand out above any other" and (2) "Thou shalt not revere the old for old's sake. If it's new and it fits, use it."

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next