Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Tuesday, February 19th

Finally the surf looks GOOD again, but I am busy. Hope to get out tonight for 30 minutes, but if not, then hopefully tomorrow morning.

Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Note: I can do these in a way that makes my abs cramp, or I can do them in a way that makes my low back hurt. Went for the ab cramp.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:12 am

Wednesday, February 20th

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Seated Inner Thigh 50lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Stretch Legs 10 minutes

----

Meditation (focusing on the breath, repeating "not now" if anything besides the breath came up) + Compassion Meditation

----

Slow Flow Yoga 1.25 hours
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:36 am

Thursday, February 21st

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Machine Reverse Fly's - Squeeze Traps at End 40lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Cable Twist - Square Hips with Shoulders and Suck Abs In 15lbs x 15 each x 4 sets

Hanging Knee Raise - Suck Abs in x 10, 8, 10, 8

DB Shin Raise 35lbs x 20 x 4 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:14 am

Friday, February 22nd - Surfing!

Surfing 1.5 hours

Eleven days may not be much at all, but it felt good to hop back in the water. A beautiful day! Extra appreciated after a week and a half of either howling winds, driving rain or both.

Arms felt stiff and slow at first, but loosened up. Surfing felt good, but the waves were for the most part little 2-footers. Saddest moment was a great wave I chickened out of. Best technical moment was a wave I pumped a couple times on to get my speed up, then hit a little turn section as hard as I could manage.

Love you surfing and Ocean,

Bram

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Saturday, February 23rd

Got up at the protruding anus of dawn to go to a surf event up in Cardiff. It's a huge surfboard and wetsuit demo, show your I.D. and have access to hundreds of boards. I picked up a Kelly Slater "Sci-Fi" 6'3" model and proceeded to bog down in epically shitty waves.

The board was a bust (maybe a 6'5" would have fared better in the sluggish conditions), but I did try a GPS surf-watch that tracks your waves, top speed, etc. That thing was cool and surprisingly lightweight.

Today's score: 4 waves, top speed 11.8 mph

Surfing 1.25 hours

Meditation (at the beach) 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 am

Monday, February 25th - Legs and Back

Stretch Legs and Back

Leg Press 270lbs x 15 x 3 sets
and
Chins x 5, 4, 4

DB Walking Lunges 25's x 10 each x 3 sets
and
Cable Seated Rows - Parallel Grip 35lbs x 20, 35lbs + Bumper x 19, 16

DB Calf Raise 30lbs x 20, 20; 35lbs x 15
and
EZ-Bar Curls 50lbs x 12, 10, 8

Lying Hamstring Curls 90lbs x 6, 80lbs x 6, 70lbs x 6

BB Deadlift 95lbs x 12 x 3 sets

Stretch Legs and Back

Notes: Relaxed shoulders at start of chins and rows, depressed or retracted shoulders to set them, then did rep. Noticed when I stretch my left hamstring (seated 1-leg version), I tend to lift me left hip off the ground, dropped it to the floor and it was much harder/effective.

----

Meditation 15 minutes (breathing deeply, slowly and gently)

Meditation (repeating "relax" on the in breath, clearing the mind on the out breath) + Compassion Meditation

----

Box Jumps 33" x 10 x 3 sets

1-Leg Box Jumps 18" x 10 each x 3 sets

----

Laid around Saturday night and all day Sunday in a weird funk.

A lot of things have been going my way, but I've been feeling less happy.

Decided to ditch some of the mental cues I've been focusing on for surfing/life. Even though they may be correlated with being more "successful" in terms of external rewards, they seem to also be related to a worsened internal state of being.

Adding to my funk, is my training program.

I've been working very hard to come up with the right mix of exercises for surfing, adding tons of random stabilization exercises - which DO seem to help my footwork, balance and turns!

But no matter which way I lay it out on paper, it looks like a cluster-fuck of a mess. So I end up doing chins one week, and not the next, because I have to do shins and VMO and all this other stuff.

So I decided to ditch nearly all the PT stuff, even though it's helped, and get back to a meat and potatoes training program.

Monday/Thursday: Back and Legs, Optional - Plyometric's or Lower Body Cardio as a 2nd session

Tuesday/Friday: Chest and Abs

Saturday: Optional - Plyo's or Lower Body Cardio

Oh and skated a little bit today (no waves). My buddy from the gym let me try his Carver skateboard, took a few tries to get the hang of it, but so fun! Has a special truck that lets you generate speed like you're pumping a surfboard.

Lastly, measured calories and packed lunches so I could hit 5 x 700 calorie meals.

The tastiest was a smoothie: 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup dry instant oatmeal, 2 cups water, 2 scoops protein powder, handful of spinach and 1 tbsp walnut oil.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Tuesday, February 26th - Chest, Shoulders and Abs

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 60's x 10, 10, 8
and
Hanging Knee Raise x 10, 8, 8

DB Seated Shoulder Press 30's x 12, 10, 8
and
Cable Twist 15lbs x 15 each, 15lbs + Bumper x 15 each x 2 sets

Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extension 35lbs x 15 x 3 sets
and
Reverse Crunch x 20, 20, 16

Band Reverse Fly - Orange x 15, 12, 10

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 35lbs x 20 each, 20R/15L

Stretch 15 minutes

Found this instagram account, Muscle and Motion:

https://www.instagram.com/muscleandmotion/?hl=en

It has a bunch of great videos that show you what the spine, scapulae, etc. should be doing. I used some of their principles the last two workouts - setting the scapulae prior to rowing, reverse flys, chins....minimize the amount of lumbar extension during hanging knee raises and reverse crunches....it's very much worth a search through. Additionally, because it is so damn valuable, drew the abs in for all they were worth during abs and obliques. One of THE most helpful things I've done for my surfing - increased balance, better turns mainly.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 am

Wednesday, February 27th

Body is sore, and today's a planned rest day, but I still felt like lifting which I take as a good sign. Zero surf again.

Meditation 5-10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Taught a class and led us through a progressive relaxation and posture check in, then had people focus on posture, relaxing and breathing deep and slow.

Compassion Meditation

Had a work meeting and they asked me to lead a meditation at the end. The meeting was only 20 minutes, so made for a quick meditation. At the end asked everyone to think of at least one thing they were grateful for at the gym.

Vinyasa Yoga 1.25 hours

Nice to do a harder class. My hips and low back felt very loose, hamstrings very tight.

At the end we did 5-10 minutes of meditating....the first part was internally count "1, 2, 3, etc." during your in-breath, repeating the process on your out-breath.

The goal was to make it long, but not to the point of causing anxiety. I liked it quite a bit, then we did savasana or remained seated - I went to savasana and then we all came back to sitting to end class.

At the end of class I felt super calm and did not want to stop sitting comfortably cross-legged.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:49 am

Thursday, February 28th

Surfing 1 hour

Surfing 45 minutes

Was able to use the technique from my buddy's Carver skateboard today while surfing to generate speed. Another friend said I had a bunch of speed on one wave. Good conditions, but felt a bit disconnected from the board/waves and my arms felt heavy and sluggish for the first session. Second session was better and had a spectacular sunset - molten gold and gray and orange.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 am

Friday, March 1st

I'd like to note that twice today I thought, "Wow, my job is easy."

This is important because my job (personal training) has caused enormous amounts of stress on a huge number of occasions.

Surfing 45 minutes

Caught a handful of rights, two I surfed well, with a strong backside snap. The rest I wasn't able to keep a high-line and fell behind the section.

Surfing 1.25 hours

Got one really good wave that I surfed well. Ate shit a bunch of times, often wimping out when I needed to commit. At the end I got annoyed with a couple guys who kept paddling around me, so I dropped in on one, causing him to lose his board, but not taking the wave beyond, just enough to fuck with him. I definitely would not have done it had I been catching lots of waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Saturday, March 2nd

Missed awesome surf this morning. Had the time, but saw the wind and rain and skipped. Whoops! Friend said it was the best waves he's had in 2 months.

DB Walking Lunges 25's x 15 each, 30's x 12 each x 2 sets
and
Seated Cable Rows 42.5lbs x 15, 12, 10

DB Calf Raise 30lbs x 20, 20, 15
and
BB Incline Bench Rows 75lbs x 15, 12, 10

Seated Calf Raise 45lbs x 10 x 3 sets
and
EZ-Bar Curl 50lbs x 12, 10, 10

Lying Hamstring Curls 70lbs x 9, 50lbs x 9, 6

DB 1-Leg Deadlift 16's x 10 each x 2 sets, 20's x 10 each

Stretch 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:02 pm

Sunday, March 3rd

BB Bench 135lbs x 7, 5, 5
Rest 2 minutes

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 12 x 3 sets
Rest 1 minute

Machine Reverse Fly 40lbs x 20, 55lbs x 15 x 2 sets
Rest 1 minute

Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extension 42.5lbs x 15, 12, 10
Rest 1 minute

Hanging Knee Raise x 12, 6, 5
and
Swiss Ball Crunch x 20 x 3 sets
and
Cable Twist 20lbs x 15 each x 3 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

Notes: set shoulders for each rep of rear delts and lateral raises. Neutral back and abs contracted on all core exercises. Lowered bench to 1-2" above chest (felt healthiest range).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:12 am

Monday, March 4th

Body Scan + Counting Breath Meditation + Compassion Meditation

For the counting breath: count "1, 2, 3, etc." on the inhale and again on the exhale.

At the end of class today, one of the newer students shared a story from the past weekend. He went skiing with a buddy and his father, and the father turns out to be a heavy alcoholic. He started drinking at 10am and kept it up all day. The drinker spent the entire trip insulting the student and his family, random little kids and others on the trip. The student said he wanted to react, but thought of the class and simply just kept letting it go. At one point, it got so bad that he went into his room and meditated for 30 minutes. He made it through the whole trip without reacting and has decided going forwards to keep away from that guy.

What a success story! I should try to remember the same when things get to me :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:16 am

Tuesday, March 5th - Back and Biceps

Chins x 6, 5, 4, 4

Seated Hammer Rows 110lbs x 12, 12, 10, 10
and
Reverse Fly 20lbs x 12, 12, 10, 8

BB Incline Bench Rows 75lbs x 12, 9; 65lbs x 9, 8

DB Hammer Curls 20's x 15, 12, 10, 8

Meditation 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Wednesday, March 6th - Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Abs and Obliques

DB Bench 65's x 8, 8, 6; 70's x 4
and
Hanging Knee Raise x 12, 10, 6, 5

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 10, 8; 30's x 9, 10
and
DB Windmill - Low Hand 25lbs x 12, 12, 12, 10

Triceps Pushdown - Parallel Grip 25lbs x 12, 15lbs x 12, 11, 10

Focused super hard on upper back position today, felt good on shoulder press and pushdowns - scapulae muscles working solidly. Left side definitely wants to collapse forwards, note the tiny amount of weight on pushdowns, that is all I can manage with squared shoulders.

Drove left knee out hard during windmills, it wants to collapse inwards.

----

Taught meditation class with the inhale-exhale counting method, followed by compassion meditation. Felt inspired, and had a break after class, so meditated again. I kept good posture, relaxed and breathed deep, but tried not to focus on any of those things. Simply being with a clear mind.

Meditation 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:35 am

Thursday, March 7th

Yesterday, I made a concerted effort to only go as low on the windmills as I could before my torso wanted to lean. Although the weight was light, my sides are very sore today.

Surfing 30 minutes

My friend brought me to one of the local sketchy reef breaks. I avoid this spot as a rule because a number of people have died here, or at least that is what I've heard. It's an amazing barrel when it's working, but comes in weird. On top of my general fear of the place, today we were facing a very low tide which generally makes everything less safe.

Caught a weird wave that I tried to fade in hopes it would open up, but it just left me right in the middle of the break, battling waves and current in what looked like rather shallow water. Got one more, a nice one, in which I made a bit of an unbalanced drop, went for a carve and got it, then did whatever I did to get to the end of it and....back into the vortex again, except this time I could make no progress in any direction and it was even shallower. Decided to just let myself get drug in to shore, luckily getting pulled away from some exposed rocks.

Meditation 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:24 pm

Friday, March 8th

Meditation 15 minutes

Saturday, March 9th

Surfing 2 hours

Surfed fun waves with beautiful shape, but not a ton of power at La Jolla Shores. First hour caught a good amount of waves, second hour caught none. To entertain myself paddled 1/2 a mile down the beach and back.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:33 am

Sunday, March 10th - Legs

Leg Press 225lbs x 15, 270lbs x 15, 315lbs x 12, 12
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 20, 16, 15, 15

1-Leg Box Squat 24" x 15, 21" x 10, 10, 8

Glute-Ham Raise - Negative x 10, 10, 10, 6

45 Degree Lower Back Extension - Isometric x 1 minute x 4 sets

Stretch Lower Body

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:32 am

March 11th-March 17th

This was the most exercise I can remember doing since I was 24. I had 4 long workouts, 7 surf sessions and a yoga class. And a busy week at work, by my standards. I cut all social media and found a tremendous increase in time.

March 18th-22nd

3 more surfs, a nice meditation on the beach and a good full-body workout. Body felt tired from all the exercise last week, coupled with semi-poor nutrition, so it was a bit of a slog to bring the thunder.

Made this salad that was tasty as fuck:

1 tangerine
1 red bell pepper
1 head of lettuce
1 avocado
1/2 a cucumber
a healthy pour of walnut oil and balsamic vinegar
1/3 to 1/2lb honey sliced turkey

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:17 pm

March 23rd-April 11th

Today marks 1 month without social media (more or less). The main sites I stopped visiting were this one, Reddit, Facebook and instagram.

I'll estimate an extra 90 minutes of free time a day. The benefits include:

* More reading
* More surfing
* More eye contact (my phone is now just texts and phone calls that I'm notified on, I'm assuming less updates equals more focused)
* More passion about my job

For workouts - same shit I normally do.

Low volume (20 sets or less) and lots of energy, but not enough stabilizers for great surfing.

High volume (21 sets or more) and not that much energy, but enough stabilizers for great surfing.

Plan to take another month off of social media.

Oh, and I also just ditched video games - returned a borrowed Playstation and lent my XBOX out to my boss.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm

April 12th-April 27th

Experimented with some different training ideas:

1) doing high-volume, stabilizer-only days, mixed in with high-volume strength or speed days....
2) and high-volume stabilizer and strength days.....

They both sucked.

Have recently settled for moderate volume strength or speed training, coupled with a bit of low-volume stabilizer training on the same day.

And I've added dynamic mobility to all my workouts to start with.

Surfing has been good. Averaging 4-5 surfs a week. Which is rad, hope that keeps up!!

Oh, and I did a course on surf coaching! That was cool, taught my first lesson this week.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am

April 28th-May 11th

Same shit, more or less.

Upper Body Day
Lower Body Day
Full Body Day

Lots of surfing. A couple meditation sessions a week.

Continuing to rotate when I do my stabilizers, like do I do band-side walks at the beginning on leg day and rotator cuff at the end on upper body day? Or in the middle? And playing with how many sets of them I do.

On Upper Body Day, my Chins have gone up from 8 to 12 and my DB Bench has gone from 55's for 10's to 65's for sets of 10 - my PR's are 16 chins and 75's for a set of 16 on bench, so just kinda moving in the right direction but nothing uncharted before.

On Lower Body Day, I shortened my squat stance from wide to athletic and have worked from 135 up to 185, nothing uncharted but happy to progress.

Full Body Day, more of the same. That one might be more stagnant.

The meat and potatoes has stayed the same, just messing with the seasonings I guess.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 26, 2019 9:22 pm

May 12th-May 25th

Continuing the 3-day a week format:

Upper
Lower
Full

I started experiencing L groin hip pain on all 5 surf sessions of Week 1, which is something I've never struggled with. After considering a number of options, I made the following changes:

1) I switched from an athletic squat stance to a wide one. This felt uncomfortable and recreated my hip discomfort immediately following the exercise, but when I surfed after my hip was asypmtomatic. I have very long legs, relative to my trunk, and I believe this is more anatomically harmonious.

2) I decided to discontinue contracting my TVA (transverse abdominis) while performing rectus abdominis exercises. An example of this would be pulling my belly in 100% of the time while performing hanging knee raises. Because of reciprocal inhibition, contracting the TVA deactivates the hip flexors, and I felt my L hip flexor had become weak. I did notice that my TVA tends to naturally contract briefly at the bottom of a lying leg raise for example, and I think that is fine and healthy.

Surfed twice in Week 2, at a high level, and with zero hip pain.

Other notes: I have massively increased my volume for all gym workouts, but it has translated into faster paddling, better balance and better surfing. I figured there would be burnout with the extra work, but it seems to have just made me perform better. High volume of certain areas, for example lots of shoulder stabilizers, does seem to lead to burnout. But dividing it among many upper body muscles doesn't seem to.

Lastly, this was an incredibly successful week of personal training. Highlights include:

* A client in his early 30's, who had previously maxed at 1 or 2 chin-ups in his life before we started, hitting 10 consecutive
* A client in his 60's, whose main goal is golf, but hasn't been making it to the range or course very much, hitting great most of the time, putting great and winning a tournament with his team. We do a dynamic warm-up each workout, followed by general strength training, then stretching and foam rolling at the end.
* A client in his mid-40's who came with a hip issue, having his hip feel great and hitting 3 pars in a row while golfing (another golf fan)
* A new client, who's got alcoholism and a trashed liver, who I encouraged to quit cigarettes - has quit. I hope he continues.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 pm

May 26th-June 2nd

After a couple months of training, my body felt like it needed a week off.

Lifting this week was two short stabilizer workouts of about 15 minutes each: light glute extensions, upper back, and vmo work.

I actually placed the back of my knee against my car bumper (because I forgot to do them in the gym) and did terminal knee extensions against the car, worked pretty good!

Surfed seven times, as of Sunday morning. Had one lackluster session on my smallest board, in epic 3-4 ft conditions. Caught a decent amount of waves and did some okay turns, but my paddle speed was sluggish and I was getting hung up on the lip on a few waves. Wasn't able to get into any of the extra nice ones.

The rest of the week was outstanding surfing. Tuesday I caught so many waves (only guy out for 1.5 hours), and did so many turns, my feet were sore the next day - never had that happen!

That was also a very scary day as there have been a number of shark sightings in the area, and that spot has poor visibility from the beach. Definitely worried about a shark being interested in me.

On the mental side, I added another chunk to my surfing mantra (now at a long string of 20 separate things), "no expectations." Hard to tell if it really helped, as my surfing has been feeling good without it, but it didn't hurt.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 am

There's been a ton of sharks around our island, and a dude legit got gobbled by a shark on Maui last week. Stay safe homie, there's not many things more frightening than the prospect of being eaten by a shark.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González