Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Looked up the shark attack you mentioned. Relatively close to shore. In front of his wife. Just awful :(

A number of surfers have been discussing it the last week. Sometimes you're in the water (or on the shore), get the worst case of heebie jeebies, and just bolt. And everyone seems to agree that you need to listen to those feelings.

Rest in peace to my fellow Californian who died.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Bram wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm
A number of surfers have been discussing it the last week. Sometimes you're in the water (or on the shore), get the worst case of heebie jeebies, and just bolt. And everyone seems to agree that you need to listen to those feelings.
Absolutely agree.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 am

I'll add you to the list of people confirming it's good to trust your fear sensors.

Thanks for chiming in, I know Hawaii has more of a dangerous shark presence than San Diego. Heard some stories of surfers in Hawaii getting told "feet up" when a shark's in the area. That's not really a thing where I live, but the thought is present often.

----

June 3rd-June 9th

Just got two workouts in this week - Upper Body and Lower Body. Both workouts gained from the week off, upping my numbers over previous workouts.

Upper Body: increased my ab work, going from one rectus ab exercise to two.

Lower Body: added a 2-legged press variation for both wide-leg and normal-stance. Add performed both straight-leg and bent-leg calves.

Surfed: 3-4 times this week, did good every time. Continue to struggle with my attitude towards others. Even if I'm catching a lot of waves, I still create stories in my head that other people are trying to dick me over and paddle around me. They might very well be, but that negativity creates a bad mental place to be in.

Random: Got a new BMX bike Friday and have been cruising around on it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Meditation: 3 sessions.

On a side note, after struggling with the right approach for house cleaning for my entire life, I have committed to cleaning my house 5x a week for 30 minutes. This can be broken up into 10 or 15 minute blocks if needed. If I'm on top of it, things like making my bed or straightening up a little doesn't count towards the number.

What this has allowed me to do is get cleaning momentum. It's enough time to take care of the basics (dishes, trash, keeping the place in order), and get some side projects done. This week I cleaned the entire interior of the fridge - which badly needed it.
"If you live through defeat, you are not defeated. If you are beaten but acquire wisdom, you have won." - RZA

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Been thinking of what I can do to become more effective as a surfer and person.

My mind keeps coming back to the concept of wu wei in Taoism. Or "without action."

For example, when I'm surfing, the most common criticism I get from other surfers is how much I flail my limbs. If you watch a great surfer, it's an elegant series of movements: an economy of motion.

Here's a video of one of my favorite surfers to illustrate:

If I could still myself more, I would surf more powerfully, because generally I have already expended energy before I need it for a turn. Only rarely do I relax my arms and wait for the section before using everything at my disposal, often I have maybe 50% left when I need it.

----

From the wikipedia page on wu wei:

In the Taoist texts, wu wei is often associated with water and its yielding nature.

The literal meaning of wu wei is "without action", "without effort", or "without control", and is often included in the paradox wei wu wei: "action without action" or "effortless doing". The practice of wu wei and the efficacy of wei wu wei are fundamental tenets in Chinese thought and have been mostly emphasized by the Taoist school. One cannot actively pursue wu wei. It manifests as a result of cultivation. The Tao is a guide.

There is another less commonly referenced sense of wu wei; "action that does not involve struggle or excessive effort". In this instance, wu means "without" and Wei means "effort". The concept of "effortless action" is a part of Taoist Internal martial arts such as T'ai chi ch'uan, Baguazhang and Xing Yi. It follows that wu wei complies with the distinguishing feature of Taoism, that of being natural.

Taoist philosophy recognizes that the Universe already works harmoniously according to its own ways; as a person exerts their will against or upon the world they disrupt the harmony that already exists. This is not to say that a person should not exert agency and will. Rather, it is how one acts in relation to the natural processes already existent. The how, the Tao of intention and motivation, that is key.

Related translation from the Tao Tê Ching by Priya Hemenway, Chapter II:

The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.

Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

----

A couple other related thoughts:

"When you don't know what to say, silence is golden." - Muhammad Ali

“Look for the clutter in your writing and prune it ruthlessly. Be grateful for everything you can throw away. Re-examine each sentence you put on paper. Is every word doing new work? Can any thought be expressed with more economy? Is anything pompous or pretentious or faddish? Are you hanging on to something useless just because you think it’s beautiful? Simplify, simplify.” - William Zinsser

"It is not daily increase, but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." - Bruce Lee

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Monday, June 10th-Sunday, June 16th

Monday - Surf, Full Body, and Meditate
Tuesday - Surf
Wednesday - Meditate
Thursday - Meditate
Friday - Surf and Upper Body
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Surf, Meditate

Interesting week.

I PR'd on Monday on Box Jumps at 39". In the past I'd done 48", but that was landing with basically my heels on my ass. It was suggested to me to land above parallel for knee health and I'd been stuck at 36" for a month or so.

Monday and Tuesday had exceptional surf, and I surfed quite well. I'd added another element to my surfing mantra -- "be excellent" -- and it seemed to carry-over to better surf performance. Additionally, on Tuesday I yelled at another surfer, for a decent amount of time, over his surfing etiquette. This is not the first, or the tenth time, that this particular guy has exhibited the same behavior. And it's not the first time I've mentioned it, but I was fed up. That said, I am a meditation teacher lol, and if nothing else, I definitely held on to it after it was over. On the plus side, it didn't negatively affect my surfing - well, except before I yelled at him.

Friday, I added more elements to my mantra -- "relax, don't hurry" -- and these seemed to help as well. The best example is I took off on one wave and noticed it was very steep, so I grabbed the rail (or side edge) of the board and navigated the section. This is notable because I seem to never grab the rail.

I've been doing a very high amount of volume, bumping from an average of 20 sets per workout to an average of just under 50. Surprisingly to me, I do seem to be getting stronger. Friday, I went up on bench, shoulders, biceps and triceps.

Hoping on Sunday to get a leg workout in, but right now posted up in a coffee shop with a couple books.

Happy Father's Day and rest in peace Chuck Wiley :heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Monday, June 17th - Sunday, June 23rd

Monday - Surf, Meditate
Tuesday - Surf x 2
Wednesday - Meditate and Lower Body
Thursday - Meditate, Surf x 2
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Surf
Sunday - Surf

Felt after last week, yelling at someone -- and then feeling angry after -- I needed to at least attempt to meditate more. Happy to get in three sessions this week (as opposed to my normal two).

Lower Body went awesome, improved on almost every exercise. I felt uninspired by my current two dynamic warm-ups, so Wednesday I just did a bunch of random joint mobility (ankle circles felt great, everything else was so-so) and a minute of jump rope. In the past, I've done different ball warm-ups: dribbling dodge balls, bouncing lacrosse balls off a wall and catching them....That is a super fun way to warm-up and I plan to come up with something along those lines.

I've mentioned that my surfing mantra has been changing the past few weeks, adding in a few new things. Although I think that it might not work for everyone (having some mental focal points that you repeat during your activity), it has been a tremendous asset to me. As I told some friends last week, my goal with my surfing is to feel like I'm dancing in harmony with the ocean. It actually feels like that and it is so fucking cool.

6/7 surfs I felt very solid this week. On one of them I chose a lot of waves that were challenging drops and blew almost all of them. One highlight was Tuesday -- I surfed three boards over three hours.

On another upside, the guy I yelled at last week, surfed politely on Thursday night -- the first time I've ever seen it. There were five of us and we all rotated, cheered for each other and got fun waves.

----

A struggle I still have is where my ego gets involved....Thursday afternoon I took too many waves, Tuesday day and Saturday evening I took something overly personally. So I'm both thin-skinned and arrogant, lol, bad combo. Would love to get past these things. :heart: