Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Looked up the shark attack you mentioned. Relatively close to shore. In front of his wife. Just awful :(

A number of surfers have been discussing it the last week. Sometimes you're in the water (or on the shore), get the worst case of heebie jeebies, and just bolt. And everyone seems to agree that you need to listen to those feelings.

Rest in peace to my fellow Californian who died.
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Bram wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:38 pm
A number of surfers have been discussing it the last week. Sometimes you're in the water (or on the shore), get the worst case of heebie jeebies, and just bolt. And everyone seems to agree that you need to listen to those feelings.
Absolutely agree.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:13 am

I'll add you to the list of people confirming it's good to trust your fear sensors.

Thanks for chiming in, I know Hawaii has more of a dangerous shark presence than San Diego. Heard some stories of surfers in Hawaii getting told "feet up" when a shark's in the area. That's not really a thing where I live, but the thought is present often.

----

June 3rd-June 9th

Just got two workouts in this week - Upper Body and Lower Body. Both workouts gained from the week off, upping my numbers over previous workouts.

Upper Body: increased my ab work, going from one rectus ab exercise to two.

Lower Body: added a 2-legged press variation for both wide-leg and normal-stance. Add performed both straight-leg and bent-leg calves.

Surfed: 3-4 times this week, did good every time. Continue to struggle with my attitude towards others. Even if I'm catching a lot of waves, I still create stories in my head that other people are trying to dick me over and paddle around me. They might very well be, but that negativity creates a bad mental place to be in.

Random: Got a new BMX bike Friday and have been cruising around on it. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Meditation: 3 sessions.

On a side note, after struggling with the right approach for house cleaning for my entire life, I have committed to cleaning my house 5x a week for 30 minutes. This can be broken up into 10 or 15 minute blocks if needed. If I'm on top of it, things like making my bed or straightening up a little doesn't count towards the number.

What this has allowed me to do is get cleaning momentum. It's enough time to take care of the basics (dishes, trash, keeping the place in order), and get some side projects done. This week I cleaned the entire interior of the fridge - which badly needed it.
"Therefore, the sage does not fail in anything since he does nothing; Does not lose anything since he holds nothing. Therefore, the sage's desire is to have no desire." - Lao Tzu

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 pm

Been thinking of what I can do to become more effective as a surfer and person.

My mind keeps coming back to the concept of wu wei in Taoism. Or "without action."

For example, when I'm surfing, the most common criticism I get from other surfers is how much I flail my limbs. If you watch a great surfer, it's an elegant series of movements: an economy of motion.

Here's a video of one of my favorite surfers to illustrate:

If I could still myself more, I would surf more powerfully, because generally I have already expended energy before I need it for a turn. Only rarely do I relax my arms and wait for the section before using everything at my disposal, often I have maybe 50% left when I need it.

----

From the wikipedia page on wu wei:

In the Taoist texts, wu wei is often associated with water and its yielding nature.

The literal meaning of wu wei is "without action", "without effort", or "without control", and is often included in the paradox wei wu wei: "action without action" or "effortless doing". The practice of wu wei and the efficacy of wei wu wei are fundamental tenets in Chinese thought and have been mostly emphasized by the Taoist school. One cannot actively pursue wu wei. It manifests as a result of cultivation. The Tao is a guide.

There is another less commonly referenced sense of wu wei; "action that does not involve struggle or excessive effort". In this instance, wu means "without" and Wei means "effort". The concept of "effortless action" is a part of Taoist Internal martial arts such as T'ai chi ch'uan, Baguazhang and Xing Yi. It follows that wu wei complies with the distinguishing feature of Taoism, that of being natural.

Taoist philosophy recognizes that the Universe already works harmoniously according to its own ways; as a person exerts their will against or upon the world they disrupt the harmony that already exists. This is not to say that a person should not exert agency and will. Rather, it is how one acts in relation to the natural processes already existent. The how, the Tao of intention and motivation, that is key.

Related translation from the Tao Tê Ching by Priya Hemenway, Chapter II:

The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.

Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

----

A couple other related thoughts:

"When you don't know what to say, silence is golden." - Muhammad Ali

“Look for the clutter in your writing and prune it ruthlessly. Be grateful for everything you can throw away. Re-examine each sentence you put on paper. Is every word doing new work? Can any thought be expressed with more economy? Is anything pompous or pretentious or faddish? Are you hanging on to something useless just because you think it’s beautiful? Simplify, simplify.” - William Zinsser

"It is not daily increase, but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential." - Bruce Lee

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 pm

Monday, June 10th-Sunday, June 16th

Monday - Surf, Full Body, and Meditate
Tuesday - Surf
Wednesday - Meditate
Thursday - Meditate
Friday - Surf and Upper Body
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Surf, Meditate

Interesting week.

I PR'd on Monday on Box Jumps at 39". In the past I'd done 48", but that was landing with basically my heels on my ass. It was suggested to me to land above parallel for knee health and I'd been stuck at 36" for a month or so.

Monday and Tuesday had exceptional surf, and I surfed quite well. I'd added another element to my surfing mantra -- "be excellent" -- and it seemed to carry-over to better surf performance. Additionally, on Tuesday I yelled at another surfer, for a decent amount of time, over his surfing etiquette. This is not the first, or the tenth time, that this particular guy has exhibited the same behavior. And it's not the first time I've mentioned it, but I was fed up. That said, I am a meditation teacher lol, and if nothing else, I definitely held on to it after it was over. On the plus side, it didn't negatively affect my surfing - well, except before I yelled at him.

Friday, I added more elements to my mantra -- "relax, don't hurry" -- and these seemed to help as well. The best example is I took off on one wave and noticed it was very steep, so I grabbed the rail (or side edge) of the board and navigated the section. This is notable because I seem to never grab the rail.

I've been doing a very high amount of volume, bumping from an average of 20 sets per workout to an average of just under 50. Surprisingly to me, I do seem to be getting stronger. Friday, I went up on bench, shoulders, biceps and triceps.

Hoping on Sunday to get a leg workout in, but right now posted up in a coffee shop with a couple books.

Happy Father's Day and rest in peace Chuck Wiley :heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Monday, June 17th - Sunday, June 23rd

Monday - Surf, Meditate
Tuesday - Surf x 2
Wednesday - Meditate and Lower Body
Thursday - Meditate, Surf x 2
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Surf
Sunday - Surf

Felt after last week, yelling at someone -- and then feeling angry after -- I needed to at least attempt to meditate more. Happy to get in three sessions this week (as opposed to my normal two).

Lower Body went awesome, improved on almost every exercise. I felt uninspired by my current two dynamic warm-ups, so Wednesday I just did a bunch of random joint mobility (ankle circles felt great, everything else was so-so) and a minute of jump rope. In the past, I've done different ball warm-ups: dribbling dodge balls, bouncing lacrosse balls off a wall and catching them....That is a super fun way to warm-up and I plan to come up with something along those lines.

I've mentioned that my surfing mantra has been changing the past few weeks, adding in a few new things. Although I think that it might not work for everyone (having some mental focal points that you repeat during your activity), it has been a tremendous asset to me. As I told some friends last week, my goal with my surfing is to feel like I'm dancing in harmony with the ocean. It actually feels like that and it is so fucking cool.

6/7 surfs I felt very solid this week. On one of them I chose a lot of waves that were challenging drops and blew almost all of them. One highlight was Tuesday -- I surfed three boards over three hours.

On another upside, the guy I yelled at last week, surfed politely on Thursday night -- the first time I've ever seen it. There were five of us and we all rotated, cheered for each other and got fun waves.

----

A struggle I still have is where my ego gets involved....Thursday afternoon I took too many waves, Tuesday day and Saturday evening I took something overly personally. So I'm both thin-skinned and arrogant, lol, bad combo. Would love to get past these things. :heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Monday, June 24th to Sunday, June 30th

Monday - Upper Body + Meditation
Tuesday - Surf
Wednesday - Surf
Thursday - Surf
Friday - Meditation
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - Lower Body

Monday, after warming up and lifting decently (hit a chin-up with a 75lb dumbbell), I did a set of light T-Bar Rows and my left lower back started cramping about half-way through. I finished the set and then the idea of a second set was a no-go. But I thought if I was mindful I could finish my workout. Ended up doing everything and finished with a cool ab combo: upper abs, lower abs, obliques with a lateral bend, obliques with a twist, TVA.

Monday night my lower back started to feel angry and pissed off.

Tuesday morning it was worse, but my friend Daren was visiting and so I did some light deadlifts (which helped) and went for a fairly mellow surf. Surfed fairly decent and for the most part it was okay.

Wednesday woke up in excruciating pain. The absolute worst was after a quick drive to work I had to stand there gritting my teeth for a good 30 seconds before I could walk at all. My entire first session as a trainer was totally unfocused, I made him do his cool down as his warm-up because I was so miserable I couldn't keep track.

Cancelled a new client and my plans to attend a health workshop and laid on my couch feeling shitty. But then I remembered that a few years back I had dug into my quadratus lumborum (QL) when I was investigating trigger points. Decided to check and holy shit that was painful! But I almost immediately felt better.

I got a text that one of my favorite local semi-secret surf spots was going off. I went to the beach, massaged my QL and did some stretches and felt pretty good. WTF. Ended up surfing very well! I got a bunch of waves, I did good turns, had good flow. But the sun was a beast today and I got out after 90 minutes. I do think that ab combo was the shit for surfing - it felt like my core was super switched on.

Thursday through Saturday I felt progressively better.

Sunday I did legs, though I cut the weight on BB squats, skipped leg press and subbed in KB front squats.

My surfing feels fucking awesome, I will not lie. But my attitude in the water and in life needs work. I'm super judgmental (this guy's better than me, that guy's worse), I get triggered easily when I perceive a slight against myself (real or imagined), and I feel like I have a tendency to attempt to be psychologically manipulative (not saying hi to certain people). It's like I have no faith in the Universe or something. And if I spent that energy working harder on being a better trainer, for example, it would be much more beneficial.

The Zen guys say "do your best and let go." Wish I could actually do it.

I have been reading, reading, reading, but can't come up with something that allows me to be objective or just focus on what I can control. Please comment if you have any ideas (hah, this is a long ass post, so don't know if anyone will make it this far).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Monday, July 1st - Sunday, July 7th

Can't sleep :(

Monday - Surfing, Meditation
Tuesday - Surfing, Full-Body Workout
Wednesday - Surfing, Meditation
Thursday - Surfing
Friday - Surfing
Saturday - Surfing
Sunday - Rest (so far)

Small waves Monday, got one fun ride.

Tuesday was medium-big, a bit unpredictable, and I was extremely uncomfortable. About 20 people out, I was by far the most scared. Got one good wave. Even though my heart wasn't in it, I did my best to cheer for people. Workout was solid in terms of ability (jumped high, etc.), though a slog to get through.

Wednesday the waves were great! Got lots of awesome waves, also got chucked up and over the falls backwards when I unsuccessfully tried to duck under a wave. I was thinking shitty thoughts about another surfer literally at the moment this happened, so felt it was a deserved outcome.

Thursday (the 4th), the waves were scary. Boils (indicating shallowness), steep drops, breaking all over the place. Actually paddled out twice, and came in twice out of fear.

Friday, got a few good rides.

Saturday, got lots of waves. Got one extra good turn. When I came in my neighbor had been filming me and showed me some clips. Totally, utterly depressing. All the things I THOUGHT I had conquered (weird body language, flailing arms, looking disconnected from the wave)....well I was doing all of them. My back arm was windmilling, I had the stance of a neanderthal, working way too hard on some tiny waves, and completely over surfing them.

----

I'm definitely catching more waves, doing harder turns and making steeper drops. But I'll be damned if I don't look like a complete goon. Bummed. :(

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:23 pm

Sunday, July 7th: Full-Body

Figured if I'm still surfing like a goof after the insanely long workouts I've been doing (~50 sets), then I might as well not do them lol

Looked through my log from 2010-2012, looking for patterns (thanks Irongarmx.net for storing all those workouts).

Came up with about 4 or 5 formats I can use (like the "push, pull, core, quad, ham" one I did today). I can do regular weights, but if I want to do a yoga-based upper body workout or an explosive leg workout I can do those as well.

----

Stair-Master 20 minutes at Level 7/8

DB Curl and Press 25's x 10 x 3 sets
BB Incline Bench [contract mid/low traps at top] 75lbs x 10, 10, 9
Full-Contact Twist [5 seconds up, 5 seconds down] Bar x 5 each, +5lbs x 5 each x 2 sets
DB Bulgarian Split-Squats [15" box] 17.5's x 15 each x 3 sets
Glute-Ham Raise x 15, 15, 12

+ DB Side Lying External Rotation 8lbs x 20 each x 2 sets, DB Seated External Rotation 8lbs x 20 each x 2 sets, Band TKE - Purple x 20 each

Stretching 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:03 am

Monday, July 8th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Looked okay, but it was way better once I made it out. Got some great waves! Shortened my surfing mantra (what I focus on) from 23 things down to 5. Felt like I surfed perhaps a bit better with less shit to think about.

Super good time out there regardless. I don't care if my body moves around like those inflatable beings outside a car dealer, it's too fun to not go :heart:

Progressive Relaxation + Sitting Meditation 15 minutes [just breathing]

Checked the waves post-work, but it looks a bit mixed up, so the couch and then some groceries will be my evening instead.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Bram, have you tried paddleboarding? It's such a change in perspective to go from laying or sitting on a board (or kayak) watching the waves roll in, and standing up watching them roll in. And fun to paddle out through the waves, or at least trying to.

I'm jealous that you can hit the water every day.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:47 pm

nafod wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Bram, have you tried paddleboarding? It's such a change in perspective to go from laying or sitting on a board (or kayak) watching the waves roll in, and standing up watching them roll in. And fun to paddle out through the waves, or at least trying to.

I'm jealous that you can hit the water every day.

Hey Nafod!

I have tried it a couple times. It's pretty fun to try and balance on them, and you get a totally different perspective. I tend to not look down too often on a surfboard vs. quite a bit on the paddle board. Haha, I've successfully paddled over waves that are maybe a foot high on one, not easy!

I'm extremely lucky to live where I do, my aunt bought a place for me to live by the beach -- if it wasn't for her generosity, I wouldn't be able to get as much water time. And I try not to take it for granted at all.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Tuesday, July 9th

Went for a surf on my lunch break. Surfed a spot about 1/2 mile to the South of me, my friend Bobby came to meet up, but balked due to the big number of surfers out. But me and my new co-worker's husband paddled out into the crowd.

I got a couple waves right off the bat, but then made the mistake of paddling out to the peak and the Ocean just shut off. I got one wave where I faded the take-off (meaning you angle your board back towards the breaking wave), but totally misjudged it and got whacked by a big wall of white water. Then I whiffed on a few waves before finally getting a medium-big left in. I've been told that at this spot, you want the lefts that break deeper South, and to avoid the ones that split at the peak. But I always seem to forget that when I'm out there.

The sun was roasting and even though I applied multiple coats of Zinc SPF 50, I still got a bit sunburned.

Surfing 1.5 hours

Note: I was watching some pro surfing event highlights this morning and noticed that the pro's tend to not bend at their waist, but they do keep a nice arch/or neutral spine in the lower back and bend their knees (basically good squat form). I'm gonna give it a try on my next surf.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:42 am

Wednesday, July 10th

Meditation 10 minutes [counting the inhale and exhale] + Compassion Meditation

Picked up some cards describing various mudras, sorted them until I found one to do: Prana Mudra

Now I neglected the portion where you lift your perineum and lightly contract your b-hole, but I did hold the pose. Although it didn't seem to affect my right arm, my left arm started shaking noticeably after about 5 minutes. It's supposed to help with a range of stuff - vision, immune system, etc.. I just kinda did it to have something to do. But I liked it! Good meditation today.

Band TKE - Green x 20 each
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each

Kicking around different ideas for lower body stabilization....

----

Surfing 1 hour

Paddled out late afternoon. Got a good set wave with 4-5 turns. Then another smaller wave shortly after with 2 fun turns, both of which I almost ate shit on. Sure enough I noticed I do not bend my knees enough when surfing, instead doing this weird, wobbly, lean-forward thing. But at least I'm aware of it. Rest of the session I just got waves that didn't have much to do on them....drop in, try to stay on it, not stay on it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 am

Thursday, July 11th

Busy day, and by the time I exited work the surf had gone away. But one of my clients, who hates exercising, just started again and I did this with her:

2 laps of a field dribbling a soccer ball
2 laps of a basketball court dribbling a basketball
Tennis back and forth against a wall
Frisbee
A game of h-o-r-s-e in basketball

Most fun I've had training someone all year and left both of us sweating and smiling. :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Friday, July 12th

Glute Bridge w. Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each

L-Sit PG Chins x 5, 4, 3 (legs were barely up, but I was trying!)
and
KB Windmill 24lbs x 10 each, 30lbs x 8 each, 35lbs x 5 each

Hop to 1-Leg Box Jump 21" x 10 each x 3 sets
and
Band Reverse Fly - Red [pull arms as far apart from one another, then squeeze low/mid traps at end] x 15, 12, 10

Handstand Push-Ups [extremely partial] x 12, 10, 8
and
Glute Ham-Raise x 15, 12, 10

Slow Back Kick x 20 each

Stretch 15 minutes - bendy

----

Surfing 30-45 minutes

Gorgeous evening (after a very grey day). Hopped in for some high-tide, back-wash waves. 1-3 other people, all nice. Great sunset, metallic water. Got a couple waves, came in smiling.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:57 pm

Saturday, I was sore in a number of areas: calves, hips, my outer low back, obliques, abs, chest, upper back

Sunday, July 14th

Surfing 45 minutes

Had a quick window to go, got a bunch of waves, surfed quite well.

Monday, July 15th

Biked to the gym and back, about 1.5 miles each way. My old bike took about 17 minutes each way, the new bike is roughly 10 minutes.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each

DB Clean and Press from Blocks [3 block + step] 35's x 10, 40's x 10, 35's x 10
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 20 x 3 sets

T-Bar Row [squeeze mid/low trap at top] 45lbs x 15 x 3 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extension 35lbs x 20, 42.5lbs x 15 x 2 sets (on the ball of the back foot)

DB Renegade Row [5 seconds up, 5 seconds down] 15's x 5 each side, 3 each side; 10's x 3 each side

Band Side Walk - Grey x 20 each
and
Seated Adduction 50lbs x 20

Band Reverse Fly - Orange [squeeze mid/low trap at top] x 20
and
DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each

Surfing 1.25 hours

Caught 4 waves, was overthinking it. Blew my third (and best wave). Ended up late for work as there was a nearly 30 minute lull between waves.

Meditation 15 minutes [noting ] + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 45 minutes

Caught a bunch of waves, then a long lull, then a few.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:18 pm

Wednesday, July 17th

Surfing 45 minutes

Meditation 5-10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.5 hours

Thursday, July 18th

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 60's x 12, 65's x 10, 8, 6
and
Seated Cable Arnold Rows 42.5lbs x 20, 50lbs x 12, 10, 8

Decline Leg Raises x 15, 10, 8, 8

1-Leg Step-Down [5 blocks + step] x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 20; DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB 1-Leg Deadlift 15's x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets (left leg getting destroyed here); Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:43 am

Friday, July 18th

Rock Climbing 30 minutes

Although climbing is not my cup of tea, I have a visiting 9 year old and my goal is to keep him somewhat tired. He probably climbed for an hour-and-a-half. Not too bad an experience, did one easy route up about 30/40 feet and some bouldering.

Surfing 45 minutes

A bit crowded, a bit small, but the kid agreed to play on the beach and I paddled out (this break is close to shore and I could keep an eye on him). I was unable to catch anything for the first 20 minutes, but then a local saw me struggling and told everyone it was my turn. Got a super fun one, thanks Tommy! Then another ride in to shore. The kid was cool with me surfing more so I got a weird wave where I just used my hips to surf (leaning them one way to drop in, kinda sliding them back and forth to generate speed). And lastly there was an epic sunset: through a huge bank of grey clouds, the sun let off a big, deep, Christmas bulb, red glow once it got to the horizon.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Monday, July 22nd

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each side x 2 sets

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each, +9lb BB x 15 each

Box Jumps 33" x 10, 36" x 10 x 3 sets
and
Hanging Leg Raise x 8, 6, 5, 4

Handstand Push-Ups [very partial] x 10 x 4 sets
and
Glute-Ham Raise [very partial] x 15 x 4 sets

Arnold Seated Cable Row 42.5lbs x 20, 50lbs x 15, 15, 12
Rest 1 minute between sets, stretch chest (bent or straight) while resting

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 40lbs x 20 each PR, 15 each

Straight Leg Glute Bridge Between Boxes [18"] x 15, 12

Stretching - pretty bendy, left shoulder felt more open, did a ball/ab stretch, that felt good too

----

Meditation 5-10 minutes [Earth mudra, counting 1 on inhale, 1 on exhale, 2, 2, etc.] + Compassion Meditation

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:47 am

Tuesday, July 23rd

Ocean Swim 1 mile + Run (back to the car) ~1 mile around 45 minutes

There's a swim from La Jolla Shores to La Jolla Cove that I've always thought about doing. Today there was no surf, I had lifted yesterday so was gonna skip the gym, and it was gorgeous out with warm water. Me and a friend did it, so we had the benefit of pushing each other a bit.

Great workout with the swim alone, and the barefoot run back felt perfect.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Wednesday, July 24th

BB Bench 155lbs x 5, 165 x 4, 175 x 2, 185 x 1
and
BB Incline Bench Rows [w/ pause at top] 95lbs x 15, 105 x 8, 115 x 4, 3

DB 1-Arm Farmer's Walks 45lbs x 45 seconds each hand x 4 sets

DB Bulgarian Split-Squats [15" box] 20's x 12, 25's x 10, 8, 8 each
and
BB Deadlifts 135lbs x 10, 185 x 8, 205 x 4, 225 x 3

Slow Side Kicks w/ 5lb Ankle Weights x 20 each x 2 sets
and
BOSU Ball w/ Stability Ball Adduction 10 reps x 5 second hold x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB External Rotation - Arm Wrestlers 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretching 15 minutes - tighter than Monday in legs, but lats felt loose

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Thursday, July 25th

Yesterday I did a little meditation and hopped in the water in an attempt to surf, but the waves were almost non-existent. There was another surreal sunset -- gorgeous metallic clouds and water, a glowing egg yolk of a sun descending.

Today:

Surfing 1.5 hours

Continuing to fuck with my surfing mantra. I had the idea a few weeks ago to return to an inflection point in it's development. At the time I was surfing better, but doing other things worse. So I added things to try and help ALL events in my life. A universal philosophy.

Today, I dropped everything from that inflection point on, with the exception of two things that had noticeably improved my surfing.

Here was today's mental set: "feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, know when to back off, relax, don't hurry"

Before I made the change today I was surfing mediocre to okay and employing a handful of mental approaches. But the second I put my ducks in line, I started making turns with more power and flow. The "relax, don't hurry" thought probably carries over to a ton of activities, but it's interesting to see how it almost makes time slow down....and if anything I'm surfing faster because I'm reading the wave better.

Anyways, pretty stoked on a fun session!! I leave for Colorado in two days, so trying to get in some Ocean time while I can. :heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:49 am

Saturday, July 27th

Cable Reverse Flyes [contract mid/low trap smoothly] 15lbs x 20, 20; 20lbs x 15, 12

DB Bench 65's x 12, 70's x 8, 6, 5

PG L-Sit Chins x 5, PG Wide-Feet L-Sit x 4, PG Feet Together L-Sit x 4, PG Wide-Feet L-Sit x 3
and
Step-Downs [6 blocks + step] x 15 each, [White Bench] x 10 each x 2 sets, 8 each

KB Windmill - Low Hand 12kg x 10 each side, 16kg x 10, 20kg x 10 x 2 sets

Band Terminal Knee Extension - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets, Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Lying Hamstring Curl 80lbs x 10, 10, 8, 8

Noticed on my first set of step-downs that my ankle has a tendency to roll in/over-pronate. This might be due to the nature of the aerobic step I'm using (it naturally shifts towards one side if you weight it), but worked hard on keeping it neutral. Moving to the bench decreased this tendency quite a bit, but still had to be aware. By the third set my outer L ankle was firing.

Surfing 1 hour

Fun, kinda weird waves. Managed a couple decent turns, but not the best flow. When I came in there was a vicious rip current. I was about 10 feet south of some rocks with my feet on the ground, then within 4-5 seconds I was sucked 30 feet north of them. Sketchy!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Monday, July 29th

6 mile hike to Fish Creek Falls - couple hours, 2000' vertical

Hour bike ride