Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:25 am

Saturday, August 31st

Surfing 45 minutes

After 5 days of almost non-existent waves (I heard of one place earlier in the week that had waves called V Wall, but only after the fact), San Diego finally had some swell forecasted. I went to a local beach that usually has 3-8 people (and can handle about that many), to find 15-20 in the water with small waves.

But I paddled out and stayed patient. I almost drilled two little kids on one wave (I grabbed the rail of the board and turned hard to try and eat shit and dodge them, but ended up falling - gently - on one of them...then the next wave washed me over him again). Got a few fun ones and finished with a great wave!

Legs felt like death yesterday, so sore!
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:34 pm

Monday, September 2nd

Surfing 45 minutes

Another horde of people, relatively speaking. Got a handful of fun waves, but my board didn't feel it had the juice - I felt like I was losing speed on anything I attempted.

Later in the day, I had an option of doing laundry/chores and surfing again, or sitting on my ass and playing video games. Well I played video games and as I drove to a birthday dinner last night I saw stunning, uncrowded waves. And today I woke up to a messy apartment. Balls.
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:27 pm

Tuesday, September 3rd

Focusing again on inhaling through nose, exhaling through mouth and whatever is in the [...] brackets.

Lat Pulldown OHG [smoothly squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 70lbs x 15, 12, 10, 10
and
DB Bench [stretch chest on eccentric] 60's x 10, 8, 7, 7
note: the lat pulldown was so dramatically different with this form...posture immediately felt better

Seated Cable Row [smoothly squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 35lbs x 15, 12, 10, 10
and
DB Seated Shoulder Press [feel upper back on eccentric] 27.5's x 8, 6, 20's x 10, 8
note: after one set of rows my upper back was pumped

DB Hammer Curls [neutral shoulder blades] 20's x 14, 12, 9, 8
and
PG Pushdown's [neutral shoulder blades] 40lbs x 16, 14, 12, 10

Hanging Knee Raise [smoothly contract low and upper abs] x 4 sets
and
BOSU Band Sit-Up w/ Red Band [smoothly contract low and upper abs] x 4 sets

45 Degree Side Bend Iso [contract glutes and tva] x 1 minute each x 4 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly 15lbs [smoothly squeeze shoulder blades down and back] x 15 x 4 sets

General notes: my posture and shoulders felt great until I did the hanging knee raises (I used the ab straps)....I couldn't keep good shoulder blade alignment during this and my shoulders felt worse afterwards....on the arms I focused on both neutral shoulders and trying to feel the muscle contract through the full ROM....on side bends I tried to keep shoulders and hips both pointed directly ahead (like 2 pairs of headlights).

----

Heard the surf was super good so ran home, grabbed my board and surfed Hospitals (a break I never go to, but the closest one to my gym). The waves were small but fun. Got back to my car and I was so worried about being late realized I was only out for...

Surfing 10 minutes

----

With my extra time before work...

Meditation 15 minutes [counting each exhale, alarm went off on the exhale of breath 94]

----

Surfing 90 minutes

Although I was out for 9x times as long as earlier, I caught less waves. Got one immediately, then waited for half-an-hour and caught a mushy set wave (there were nice set waves on display). Then waited for an hour and paddled in. Meanwhile, my buddy Gilbert caught 15-20 waves on the inside. I stubbornly held on for something that never came, instead of going in and enjoying myself. :-k

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:08 pm

Wednesday, September 4th

Surfing 2 hours

Went to Blacks, which is like a 20 minute drive and a 25 minute walk each way, looked kinda good/terrible when we arrived and devolved to okay/terrible. Also was super stoned (haven't smoked in a month or two) and thought the cliffs there were gonna fall on us and kill us. Did see two dolphins up close so that was cool.

Got maybe two waves that didn't immediately end and didn't ride those well.

Meditation Class [counting breaths, made it to 30] + Compassion Meditation

Hung out with a PT over the weekend and she talked about the importance of diaphragmatic breathing. Had the class start with 10 diaphragmatic breaths (feel the belly rise before the chest).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:38 am

Friday, September 7th

Meditation 15 minutes: repeating "love" on the breath in and breath out.

After I finished I thought of doing "forgiveness." I've used that in the past and found that helpful.

Saturday, September 8th

BB Wide Stance Squats [height is 7 blocks + step + 2 x 10lb plates] 185 x 15, 205 x 6, 225 x 5, 245 x 3
and
DB Calf Raise 35lbs x 15 x 4 sets

DB Walking Lunges 30's x 15, 35's x 12, 40's x 10, 8
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raises 35lbs x 20, 40lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Band Side Walk w/ Purple Band x 20 each x 4 sets [neutral hips and engage core, abs worked!]
and
BOSU Ball Glute Bridge w/ Stability Ball Adduction Isometrics of 5 seconds x 10 reps x 4 sets [posterior pelvic tilt, lots of glute work]

Glute Ham Raise Eccentrics x 8, 7, 6, 5 [posterior pelvic tilt]
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets [posterior pelvic tilt]

BB Athletic Stance Deadlifts 95lbs x 12, 10 x 3 sets
and
TKE w/ Purple Band x 20 each x 4 sets [posterior pelvic tilt]

Although I had a nice strength boost from last weeks workout [2 two-legged presses: wide squats and standard leg press], my knees on Wednesday when doing a long downhill walk felt off. I decided to reintroduce the slow front kicks, which are basically an unloaded leg extension. Using the posterior pelvic tilt on that exercise both felt good and caused my abs to fire hard on my final set. Doing the posterior pelvic tilt on the tke's really isolated the VMO and caused me to do it with feet neutral - I tend to use a staggered stance on these. Great workout, but tiring!

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Headed quickly down to the beach and hopped in just as the sun was half-way past the horizon. Got a few fun waves and my legs felt great! My turns felt good again, stoked to reintroduce the leg extensions. At one point I got caught in 30lbs+ of seaweed and was panicking in trying to get it off and out of the way of the other surfers. I took my leash off, but with the current could barely pull the board to me. After a good little struggle I freed my leash, but I was yelping in distress. At the end I got a gorgeous wave in to the beach, but as I jogged along the little sea-side cliffs a set came in and hit me pretty good. Didn't smash me into the rocks, but it wasn't far from it. That's twice today the ocean demonstrated it's power and neither time was I expecting it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:55 pm

Sunday, September 8th

Surfing 2.25-2.5 hours

Super fun conditions. Lots of waves, not many people. Had a number of wipeouts including ditching my board and going over the falls on the take-off. Legs are sore but feel good!

My neighbor suggested I take two extra strokes deeper on every wave (heading into the curl of the wave). This had about an 80% success rate. 20% of the time I was catching I waves I probably would have missed. 60% of the time I was getting deeper, lending me more speed. 20% of the time I was too deep and took harder wipe-outs than I would have, or missed a section I might have made. I think the rule is too simplistic, but I'm definitely missing good waves by not being deep enough part of the time.

Foam Rolling + Stretching 20 minutes

Feeling a bit tired, so thought some mobility would do me good. One stretch I liked was child's pose to the side with the stretching arm on top. Foam rolling my L hamstring, R lat, both vmo's and both quads were all intense.

Surfing 1 hour

Felt pretty good, post roll and stretch, so headed down to the beach. The waves had stayed fun and the crowd had thinned out, yay! As earlier I backed off some waves, but the only time I recall eating it was on my last one when I tried to connect my turn into the white water. Often this bounces you back and leaves you in the fastest part, but occasionally the wave is powerful and you get smashed. I got smashed. A guy I'm friendly with, Issac (who's surfed the past 80+ days without a day off), said I was charging the hardest he's ever seen me. Nice compliment!! Oh and when we came in the beach was gone, so we had to paddle north against the current. After being stuck here in similar conditions a year ago, and learning after the fact how to get out, it felt good to have a plan.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 am

Monday, September 9th

Surfing 2.5 hours

So....every once in a while the surf gods come together. Went to a nearby spot with my two buddies and it looked kinda mediocre. No one else was out though and we were excited to have a break to ourselves. As we are paddling out a big, plentiful set comes through and mows us all down. We proceeded to have the next 90 minutes alone with a lot of good waves rolling through. Getting to cheer for your friends over and over while they are catching fun waves is a wonderful feeling. Finally one other person came out and we all continued to catch lots of waves.

My surfing felt awesome today - with an exception.

Paddling felt strong, my drops felt strong, my turns felt strong, BUT!

I was really pushing today and my legs kept buckling when I did. So my guess is when I did the posterior pelvic tilt on my VMO I fucked up the firing (my legs only seem to buckle this way when my VMO is undertrained).

----

Meditation Class

Started with stretching (knee to chest, lying pigeon, legs across, lying hamstring, lying quad, inner thigh, legs crossed reach to the side, forward fold x 2 - second time with opposite legs crossed).

We did the "forgiveness" meditation - repeating forgiveness at your own pace, followed by compassion meditation and sharing what we're grateful for. In the background I had a recording of ocean waves breaking. Good vibes today!

----

Band TKE w/ Purple Band x 20 each x 2 sets, Green Band x 20 each x 2 sets

So same as leg day, just no pelvic tilt.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Wednesday, September 11th

Surfing 1 hour and 10 minutes

San Diego has been hit with a hurricane swell for the past week or so. This means warmer water, higher tides (warmer water expands) and lots of good opportunities for waves. Went to my local spot and it looked okay, but as I'm paddling out I saw a gorgeous wave come through and some guy I'd never seen tear the bag out of it.

I picked off some small waves that no one was interested in and as the session wore on I started getting larger and longer rides.

Really an outstanding session. My paddle speed and endurance feels great, my balance felt solid. And a beautiful late summer day with good vibes in the water definitely helps too :)

----

Meditation Class

"Forgiveness" meditation + Compassion Meditation

At the retirement home I teach at, I feel I need some sort of intro (like on Monday at the gym I teach at I had them start with stretching for 5-10 minutes). Just got into it without some sort of "meditation warm-up" and it seemed off.

----

Cable Reverse Fly [posterior pelvic tilt, draw shoulder blades down and back] 15lbs x 20, 20, 15, 12
and
Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension [posterior pelvic tilt] x 15 each, 15, 10, 8

Box Jump 30" x 10, 33" x 10, 36" x 10 x 2 sets
and
Med Ball Chest Pass at Incline 6lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Hollow Body Hold on Air-Ex Pad [posterior pelvic tilt] x 35 seconds, 28, 20, 15
and
45 Degree Side Bend [posterior pelvic tilt] x 45 seconds each side x 4 sets

1-Arm KB Row with Drop and Catch on Lowering [draw shoulder blades down and back] 24lbs x 12R/10L, 16lbs x 10 each, 8, 5
and
KB Swing [posterior pelvic tilt] 36lbs x 15, 12, 10, 8

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Cable External Rotation - Elbow by Side [draw shoulder blade down and back] 15lbs x 15 each, 10lbs x 15 R/12L

Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each, 11, 9, 7

Felt abs working hard on cable reverse flys....when I did my first 1.5 sets of box jumps I could feel my abs contract on each landing...on the 45 degree side bend hold, I put my bottom leg's foot forwards. Usually this bugs my left knee, but I think it's because I always have my right foot forwards, no matter the side....

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Super fun! Kinda wishy-washy and chaotic, but still got waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Thursday, September 12th

Was undecided on the KB swings yesterday, so threw in:

45 Degree Low Back Extension Isometric [posterior pelvic tilt] x 75, 75, 75, 45 seconds

Surfing 1 hour

Surfed pretty shitty. Arms felt gassed out from yesterday, passed up on a number of waves because I didn't feel I had the speed in my arms, or legs, to make it to my feet. And when I did pop up my legs felt off.

But still had fun being out there :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:14 pm

Saturday, September 14th

Lat Pulldown OHG [squeeze shoulder blades smoothly down and back] 85lbs x 13, 10; 70lbs x 10, 9

DB Bench 65's x 10, 8, 7, 7

Seated Rows [squeeze shoulder blades smoothly down and back] 35lbs x 15, 15, 12, 12

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 17, 15's x 10, 7; 12.5's x 10

DB Hammer Curls 20's x 15, 12, 10, 9
and
DB Skull-Crushers 20's x 10, 8, 7, 5

Decline Knee Raises [posterior pelvic tilt] x 15, 15, 12, 10
and
45 Degree Side Bends [posterior pelvic tilt] x 1 min. each side x 4 sets

Cable Reverse Fly [squeeze shoulder blades smoothly down and back] 15lbs x 15, 12, 10; 10lbs x 12

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20 each, 16 each

Stretching and Foam Rolling 15 minutes

----

Surfing 45 minutes

So the super popular surf break by my house had 50 or so people on it, and another break had 0. I paddled out alone on a stunning day and got 10-15 waves. For the most part they were pretty small, but occasionally I got a bigger one. Came in post-sunset. Yeehaw!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Sunday, September 15th

Surfing 1.5 hours

The waves were bigger, but, for the most part, a bit less powerful than yesterday. Got a lot of rides, but towards the end my brain and body got fatigued and I fell on a nice one, and took a couple waves that I should have let go (the one behind had better shape).

Breakfast was a couple bananas and a few cups of water, so guessing low fuel supplies.

----

Watched a very informative video on how to catch barrels.

Some tips:

1) If you imagine the wave as a triangle, you don''t want to take off to close to the peak of the triangle. It's the steepest part and the most likely for you to fall. The heavier the wave, the further behind the peak you want to be.

2) If you end up taking off late, stomp your tail and weight your toes on your front side. If you are on your back side, grab your rail, stomp your tail and weight your heels.

3) Take off in the middle of the wave, not the top. It's easier and if the wave is strong enough it will suck you up and over the falls if you take off too high up.

4) On a steep wave, as quickly as you can get your torso parallel to the wave. It will glue you to the face more, having your shoulders perpendicular will send you towards the bottom of the wave.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Monday, September 16th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Slow waves. Felt that I needed a bigger board. I own two bigger boards and have lent them both out, need to get them back.

Spent part of the session working on keeping everything but my back arm as still as possible, and part of the session surfing without any focus. Surfed better with the increased stillness, but I struggled to generate enough speed...that could have been from riding the wrong board today, or maybe my core needs to be stronger, or some other factor.

Another area of improvement I could work on is the smoothness of my pop-up. I tend to either get to my back knee, or stomp the board as I leap to both feet. In both cases it leaves my body leaking energy and taking longer to get to that point of stillness I was searching for today.

----

Meditation 15 minutes [naming thoughts and sensations]

My low back felt great - either the posterior pelvic tilt, returning to stretching, re-introducing foam rolling, or all three.

----

Thinking about my training and reviewing some of my client's notes, I'm going to make the following changes to our upper and full-body workouts:

Day 1 Upper Back/TVA: int rotation, ext rotation, rev fly, tva x 1-2 sets of all
Day 2 Upper Back/TVA: int rotation, tva x 2-4 sets of all
Day 3 Upper Back/TVA: ext rotation, tva x 2-4 sets of all
Day 4 Upper Back/TVA: rear delts, tva x 2-4 sets of all

For clients who don't need internal rotation, the schedule is:

Day 1 Upper Back/TVA: ext rotation, rev fly, tva x 1-2 sets of all
Day 2 Upper Back/TVA: ext rotation, tva x 2-4 sets of all
Day 3 Upper Back/TVA: rear delts, tva x 2-4 sets of all

Combining rear delts, rotator cuff and TVA frees up an additional slot on full-body days, this slot will be used to include both a bent-leg and straight-leg glute extension (as opposed to one or the other).

----

Stretching + Meditation [counting inhale length and exhale length] + Compassion Meditation

----

Tried to do a bunch of tasks and skipped my gym workout time, but wanted to start the new upper back program:

Sahrmann Level 1 x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Cable Reverse Flyes [squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 15lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation [squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 5lbs x 20 each, 15 each

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Beautifully glassy conditions, but waves were a bit sparse. Everyone cleared out and I thought about sharks ripping off my limbs. Caught 5-6 waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 am

Tuesday, September 17th

I don't know what particularly inspired me to make this leg workout even longer, maybe it was watching the Adam Ondra videos I posted in the training forum, where he seems willing to do ANYTHING to make him a better climber. In any event:

BB Squats - Wide Stance 225 x 8, 6; 235 x 5, 245 x 3
and
DB Calf Raises 35lbs x 15, 45lbs x 14, 25lbs x 15, 12

Leg Press - Athletic Stance 270lbs x 10, 12, 10, 10
and
Seated Calf Raises 35lbs x 10, 12, 10, 10

1-Leg Bench Squats x 5 each, 5, 3, 3
and
DB Shin Raise 40lbs x 20, 15, 12, 10

Standing Band Adduction - Red x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Slow Side Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

1-Leg Hamstring Curl 30lbs x 8, 20lbs x 7, 10lbs x 7, 6
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each, 15 x 3 sets

BB Deadlifts - Athletic Stance 95lbs x 12, 115lbs x 10, 135lbs x 8, 6
and
Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

I'm reasonably sure this is the biggest leg workout (in terms of sets) of my life. Took a bit shy of 2 hours for everything.

Oddly enough I felt great afterwards, legs felt fresh. 20 minutes later though, after eating, an incredible wave of fatigue hit me which lasted about 2 hours.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Wednesday, September 18th

Surfing 45 minutes

This is hyperbole and I'm getting too ahead of myself....legs felt fantastic for surfing today. I think the program I did yesterday is exceptional.

Interestingly, as one door seems to close (what to do with legs???) another one opens. It felt very much that my thoracic/cervical mobility was limiting my ability to rotate my head smoothly backwards and forwards to gauge the steepness and proximity of the breaking wave.

There's this feeling of energy leakage that I mentioned a few entries ago, and whatever is going on in that area (I have a bit of a forward head position) is not being addressed.

----

Chair Meditation [focusing the attention on the breath entering and exiting the nostrils or lips; repeating "compassion" at your own pace] + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection

Loved today's focus on the breathing combined with the word....felt rather grateful afterwards. :heart:

----

Meditation 15 minutes [noting thoughts] + Nature Connecting 15 minutes

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Ate shit on a couple, but got one very nice wave. Definitely have a mobility issue in my neck/thoracic, turning my head to the left on the surfboard seems okay, but turning to the right seems off. Like if I'm paddling for a wave, I can glance over my left shoulder fine, but when I look over my right it seems to screw me up.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:42 pm

Thursday, September 19th

After surfing last night, I came home and reflected on how good my legs felt, and what I could do to bring that feeling to my entire body.

After surviving such a high workload on my legs and surfing well, I thought that my upper body might have a bigger capacity than I've been holding myself to.

DB Bench 50's-60's x 4 sets
and
Machine Chest Fly 85-100lbs x 4 sets

DB Lateral Raise 10's-12.5's x 4 sets
and
BB Incline Bench Front Raises 9lbs-20lbs x 4 sets

Triceps Push-Downs 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets

45 Degree Side Bends x 4 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1/2 x 4 sets

and
DB Side Lying External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 15 each x 2 sets
and
DB External Rotation - Elbow on Knee 5lbs x 15 each x 2 sets

----

Worked out with one of my clients who loves moving, but hates the indoors. Some highlights:

Dribbling a soccer ball forwards and backwards; keeping a tennis ball aloft; bouncing a tennis ball back and forth (switching hands every bounce was a fun challenge); bouncing a ball with the right hand - catching your partners ball with your left hand, and vice versa; bouncing two balls to your partner; bouncing one and two balls against a wall and catching them

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Sunday, September 22nd

Finally biked to the gym. It's only 1.5 miles, but my lazy ass has been driving :(

Decline Knee Raises x 3 sets
and
Hanging Knee Raises x 2 sets
and
Decline Sit-Ups x 3 sets

Lat Pulldowns - Overhand Grip 85lbs x 4 sets
and
Wall Slides x 4 sets

Lat Pulldowns - Parallel Grip 85lbs x 4 sets
and
Cable Reverse Flyes x 4 sets

Seated Cable Rows 35lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Incline Bench Rows 40-50lbs x 4 sets

BB Curls 40-50lbs x 3 sets
and
DB Hammer Curls 15's-17.5's x 3 sets
and
BB Reverse Curls 30-40lbs x 2 sets

BB Reverse Wrist Curls 20lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Wrist Curls 40lbs x 4 sets

Stretch Forearms, Wrists, Biceps x Underhand, Parallel, Overhand; Lats, Hip Flexors, Abs + Trigger Point on R/L Infraspinatus x 3 (miserable!)

Notes: flat/tucked low back on abs (including the negatives); squeeze the shoulder blades down and together on all rows, pulldowns and reverse flyes...strived for neutral low back on rows, rev flyes and pulldowns....tried to keep elbows under shoulders on curls....this was a fucking hard workout.

----

Did some reflecting last night on my life/surfing mantra....I thought I had it wired and had been surfing well, busy at work with good workouts for my clients and talking to a couple beautiful women, but there's also been something missing....one of the girls blew me off for two dates in a row, then sent me a message that it seemed I was being pushy...I've still been feeling kinda angry in the water if someone paddles around me.....and just kind of a low-key arrogance at work -- all three are signs that I'm on the wrong path.

But thanks to this training journal I have a record of what the hell I tell myself. I found that on July 8th of 2018, I used a particular combination of mental cues that had me finally doing deep bottom turns while surfing (the Achilles heel in my surf performance) but left me grumpier than normal.

I sat around last night and thought of what I could add to that list: considering my arrogance at work, my pushiness with this girl and my anger in the water....I kicked around a bunch of ideas, but eventually settled on "be humble."

Woke up today and stuck with my list and everything went great! Cleaned my house, had a good workout, etc.

But man, I was nervous to surf. I have tried a couple hundred mental combinations so far, and most lead to shitty surfing, even if they lead to better non-surf outcomes.

Surfing 45 minutes

It was lully and the first few sets were slow, and me and the other two people were missing them. I was worried that my upper body was exhausted from the super-long workouts I did this week, and feared my mantra would lead to poor surfing.

The waves started to pick up and I got a couple fun, short waves and it seemed I was surfing decent enough.

Then I lucked into two or three very good waves and surfed excellently. Snaps, cutbacks, good flow, checking to see where the wave was behind me (I struggle with this).

Came in feeling super happy, but not that into the hot sun, so found some shade and grass and...

Meditation 30 minutes

I simply breathed slow, sat tall and tried to notice thoughts and let them go, but not name them or let myself dwell. Normally this meditation is too difficult for me, but today it felt right.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Monday, September 23rd

Woke up at 5am for an early surf. Seeing the sky start to turn pink and then the clouds begin to glow, while sitting on a surfboard off-shore, is a great way to embrace a new day.

Surfing 1.25 hours

The surf was infrequent, but I got some excellent waves. Surfing felt solid. The only downside was whiffing on a bunch of waves later in the session. Mostly it was not paying enough attention to the wave position (the peak was shifting up and down the beach), and also paddling for waves that weren't gonna break.

----

Surfing 1.25 hours

Surfed Windansea for the first time in 4-5 months. It's a phenomenal spot, and very close to my house, but famous for the fights and arguments. And I've been yelled at a dozen times at least (and deservedly). Got two fun waves, a short right that had a punchy section, and a great left. Paddled 4 spots to the north to catch up with a friend and got a fun little wave there, then paddled back and ate shit a few times :)

----

Compassion Meditation

Taught class but elected to just lead the progressive relaxation and regular meditation (10 minutes of unattached awareness), then join in for the end.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Went to the same spot as this morning, got a little wave where I dropped in on someone like a douche, and then a turn where I laid it on rail (the goal, and not often the result) before I kicked out. Then a flowing left with a speed snap followed by a carve. And more good rides too that I can't remember all that clearly.

It started to get dark and I always seem to misjudge where the wave is when I can't see well -- the result is I go about 15 feet from the start and end up accidentally kicking out of the wave. But on my last wave, I knew to anticipate this, so took it a bit slower....I might have been able to do something more, but made it to shore which ain't normal.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Wednesday, September 25th

Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each x 2 sets
and

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension [posterior pelvic tilt] x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Hip Flexor Stretch [posterior pelvic tilt] x 2, Calf Stretch; Biceps Stretch

Box Jumps 33" x 10, 36" x 10 x 3 sets
and
Med Ball Chest Throw 6lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Roundhouse Kicks to Bag x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Mountain Climbers x 45 seconds x 87, 86, 80, 62

Explosive Standing Band Row - Purple x 20 x 4 sets
and
KB Swing [squeeze glutes] 44lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Straight-Leg Glute Bridge from Boxes [posterior pelvic tilt] at 18" x 15, 12, 10, 9
and
Cable Reverse Fly [squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 15lbs x 20 x 2 sets; DB Side Lying External Rotation [squeeze shoulder blades down and back] 6lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Cable Harness Neck Extension [tuck chin] 10lbs x 20, 20; 5lbs x 15, 12
and
Cable Harness Neck Flexion [tuck chin] 10lbs x 20, 20; 5lbs x 15, 12

Cracked my ankle something fierce on my third roundhouse kick and it feels unhappy. Decided to return the internal rotation to the beginning of the workouts as it seems to make my left posterior shoulder happy. Box jumps were very high today, not the box, but my landings. Forgot 2 appointments (they showed up partway through each workout) and split this workout into 3 blocks, with no stretching :(

So...this is everything I know to do for surfing, with the volume I know for bodybuilding...curious how my surfing will respond.

----

Meditation Class [focusing on unattached awareness] + Compassion Meditation

Mind felt particularly calm today.

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Well, surfing with a sore ankle is pretty dumb. But I got a few waves on a particularly fierce and windy day. Surfing felt okay when my ankle wasn't collapsing.

Ankle still hurts the next day (Thursday morning), but not as bad.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:08 am

Thursday, September 26th

Ankle felt rather stiff this morning when I woke up, but almost back to 100% by late afternoon.

Meditation 15 minutes [counting the inhale and exhale]

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Ankle oddly felt okay, unless the high-tide choppy waves hit it wrong (which happened once or twice). It was a very beautiful early evening after a grey and gusty day.

I feel that what I've done with my surfing is train myself to get as close to the peak as possible on the safe side, but there's a gap of 20-40 feet (maybe different) that separates one side of the peak from the other. Often it is totally doable to take off much deeper than I do, provided you aren't in the no-man zone in between (at the peak itself it can literally throw over and no one can make it). But my mind has said I need to move just a few more feet deeper....and that is right into the no-man zone. So I have my landmark that says don't sit any deeper - which works a lot! But I should have another landmark that says don't sit any closer...if I can figure out both safe zones, I can get longer waves.

Had fun tonight!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:42 pm

Friday, September 27th

Surfing 45 minutes

Surfing 45 minutes

Got in 630am-715am, and 1045am-1130am. First person in the water for Session 1,only person for Session 2.

San Diego is predicted to get hit with rain and wind all weekend and this morning was the last good surf window forecasted until Monday.

After I came in from the early session, a friend got a sketchy drop into a long, peeling wave. I cheered for her and she was so happy to have not fallen. It was a reminder that having fun surfing is not limited to how you do, but also the good energy you can extend to others. Got a bunch of waves myself :)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Sunday, September 29th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Part of the joy of surfing is how goddamn awful I am every so often. Today was a victory at sea day. Chaotic waves with a good punch, a draining reef (SCARY!!!), and my mind/body/spirit not in alignment.

I threw myself over the falls on one of the biggest waves of the day, made it 0 feet before I spun around, fell backwards, smashed my head into the wave and got thrown over.

I ejected (kicked the board to the side and jumped backwards) on multiple drops because I picked waves that were closing out.

I took waves that went 15 feet, then got steamrolled by the oncoming set.

And made it to my feet like 2-3 times. One wave I surfed decently.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:09 am

Monday, September 30th

BB Squats - Wide Stance 225 x 11, 245 x 6, 5, 5
and
DB Calf Raises 35lbs x 15 x 4 sets

Leg Press - Athletic Stance 270lbs x 12, 10, 8, 8
and
Seated Calf Raises 45lbs x 12, 10, 8, 7

DB Walking Lunges 30's x 10 each, 10, 8, 10
and
DB Shin Raise 40lbs x 20, 15, 15, 15

Band Side Walk - Purple x 20 each side x 4 sets
and
Seated Adduction 50lbs x 20, 15, 15, 12

Glute-Ham Raise [posterior pelvic tilt] x 12, 10, 8, 6
and
Slow Front Kicks [posterior pelvic tilt] x 20 each x 4 sets

45 Degree Low Back Extension 25lbs x 13, 11, 7, 6
and
Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

Stretching 15 minutes

----

Surfing 45 minutes

My poor mind has been all over the place with trying to have one mega-mantra that keeps me focused for everything. But I decided today to focus on what works for being a trainer [be smart, funny, take care, be curious] and to have a separate one for surfing [feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, relax, don't hurry].

It was once again very low tide and sketchy, but smaller. This time I felt that even though my first few waves I was just going straight, I had the surfing "good vibe" sensation of being harmonious with the ocean.

As I continued to catch waves, I started getting some super fun ones...one wave was 3-4 turns to the beach. My final wave I took it on my belly, popped to my feet and then got a wrapping cutback where I went vertical on the finish into the white water and came out with speed. This is something I've been striving for and it feels like a complete maneuver as opposed to a truncated one (usual feeling).

Came in beaming, grinning wide!

----

Progressive Relaxation + Noting Meditation 10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

For the compassion meditation, one of the students wanted to focus on tranquility, and so I added "may you be tranquil" instead of "may you be peaceful." And also added one extra person of your choice.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:13 am

Tuesday, October 1st

Surfing 2.25 hours

Heard the surf was epic this morning, but I slept in until 630am (what a savage!) and worked 8-12pm. Heard the beach breaks were fun, but they are normally crowded like a concert and I went to the little spot by my house.

So dang fun!

No more than 5 people (including me) at most, tons of waves. Lots of fun turns and some long rides. Only downsides were:

1) Stayed out 15 minutes too long for my sunscreen application, applied 3 times total, but I'm trying to be adamant about it.
2) Stayed out 15 minutes too long for getting to work on time, ended up only 4 minutes late, but still.
3) Got a compliment towards the end and it must have gone to my head, cause I started falling and stayed out too late. Staying humble has always been my best way to take a compliment, so will focus on that in the future.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Went to La Jolla Shores, which is almost always terrible, and it was fantastic! Offshore winds, very consistent sets, long waves (if you were sitting in the right spot).

My damn ego was all fired up from earlier and I was blowing every wave I got. Turning way too hard, taking off too late....I checked in with my head and realized I was thinking I was a "really good surfer" and was just expecting to catch everything and surf it great. I decided to slow down and focus on each wave.

At the end I got a beautiful, peeling left. Got a great turn right off the bat into the white water, a carve, and a close-out snap into the flats.

Sweet!

BTW, I blew pretty much every other wave this session due to my damn ego. Glad to get that last one...and to check in with my thoughts to get my head right!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 am

Wednesday, October 2nd

Surfing 45 minutes

Me and one guy out at my favorite secret spot. I brought my bigger board out and it was the right call. The waves were a bit slow and choppy due to the high tide and wind, but absolutely fun with this board. Having harmony with the ocean - surfing to the wave, not to what you want - is the jam, and a lovely feeling when you experience it.

The guy out there happened to grow up in Santa Barbara and told me about a break I've been wanting to surf for years, with the ideal swell window of 270-290 degrees. He said he's done some surf traveling and it holds up to any wave he's been on so far, stoked to get the insider knowledge. Santa Barbara has the Channel islands which block certain swells, so knowing the right angle for the spot is key to not get skunked on a 5 hour drive each way.

Progressive Relaxation + Meditation [repeat "impermanence" on inhale and exhale] + Compassion Meditation

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:13 am

Friday, October 4th - Upper Body Push

DB Bench 65's - 70's x 4 sets
and
Machine Fly 100-115lbs x 4 sets
-- Stretch lats after each set of fly's

DB Seated Arnold Press 25's-30's x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise/DB Front Raise 10's-12.5's x 4 sets

Triceps Pushdowns 42.5-50lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets
-- Stretch biceps after each set of rope triceps

DB Shrugs 35's x 4 sets
and
Scapulae Push-Ups x 4 sets

Full-Contact Twist Bar x 4 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1/2 x 4 sets

Cable External Rotation - Elbow by Side 20lbs x 2 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Kneeling 30lbs x 2 sets
and
DB Standing External Rotation 7.5's x 2 sets

Stretch chest, forearms, wrists, biceps, triceps, glutes, seated twist

Notes: Doing all these different exercises is giving me a heightened sense of awareness of my muscles. Noticing things like my left hand being loose on shrugs (and tightening it), or lengthening my spine and activating my low obliques during the twist.

Surfing 15 minutes

Had a flight to catch, but I really wanted to hop in. Got 2 gorgeous waves. On the first, a guy called me into it, I barely made the drop then got 3 nice turns to the beach. On the second, I again took a challenging drop, got a snap, then went for a closeout snap. My mind was telling me "there's no way you can do a turn here," then I made the turn and as I got to the bottom of the wave, my mind said "there's no way you're not going to fall over." As I got into the flats, I leaned back a little, lost my balance and fell.

Reading a book on sports psychology (by an Olympic gold medalist) and the first lesson is that the most important thing you can have is belief. You can either believe you're going to do something, or hope you will. And winners aren't the ones who are hoping.

So I'd like to find a way to hush that "you're going to blow it" voice.
Last edited by Bram on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.