Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Saturday, October 5th

Visiting family in Northern California and it's peaceful and beautiful. Staying in a heavily forested area, full of animals.

Woke up early, went outside and:

Yoga + Meditation 20 minutes + Connecting to Nature 10 minutes
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:54 am

Reading a fascinating book on mental strength and the author says there are 3 categories of the mind:

1) The Conscious Mind - what you are thinking about
2) The Subconscious Mind - what you have practiced
3) The Self-Image - what you think you are capable of

He says you should try to strengthen all 3, that the stronger each is, the greater your performance. But they all need to be in balance.

I thought about the subconscious and what I could do for surfing, knowing that I've gotten messed up when I've focused on drilling a technique at the expense of watching the wave.

Here are the techniques I came up with to work on:

A) Drill 10 beautiful, deep bottom turns each session, but only on very safe sections
B) Drill 10 double-arm drags with kick stalls into/with the beginning of the foam each session, but only on very safe sections
C) Drill 10 beautiful kick-outs each session, but only on very safe sections

A few other ideas...

* Rail-grab turns
* Rail-grab bottom turns?
* Drop wallet turns
* Cutback to snap into the white-water
* Giving away 10 GOOD waves each session
"If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Monday, October 7th - Upper Body Push

Yes, I did a version of this a few days ago. No, I was not satisfied with it. So, again in the gym.

DB Incline Bench 50's-55's x 3 sets
DB Flat Bench 50's-55's x 3 sets
DB Bench 50's x 2 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's-40's x 4 sets
DB Lateral Raises 12.5's-15's x 4 sets

Triceps Pushdowns 50lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps 42.5lbs x 4 sets

DB Shrugs 35's-40's x 4 sets
and
Scapulae Push-Ups x 20, 20, 20, 16

DB Windmill [contract TVA on concentric; concentrate on bending from the hips, not the waist] 30-35lbs x 8-10
BB Full-Contact Twist [contract TVA on eccentric] Bar x 5, +5lbs x 5, +10lbs x 5 (very hard to contract TVA when rotating down to the right), +5lbs x 5

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets
Cable External Rotation - Elbow by Side 20lbs x 20, 25lbs x 15
Cable Internal Rotation - Kneeling 35lbs x 15 x 2 sets
DB Seated External Rotation 7.5's x 20, 15

Stretch chest, forearms, wrists, biceps, triceps, glutes, seated twist, triangle pose

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Small, windy and inconsistent for the most part, but occasionally a nice wave would come through.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:38 am

Tuesday, October 8th

Nice and sore from yesterday: triceps, obliques and TVA

Surfing 1 hour

Great waves!

Forgot that I can't think about any of the surf techniques I listed without screwing up my connection to surfing. So I just surfed.

One thing I noticed tonight: after making a drop and feeling like the wave wasn't going to stay open, I consigned myself to slide off the wave at the bottom. But as I got to the bottom, I felt this weird patch of power I could have tapped into and done a bottom turn. I don't really pay attention to this feeling, but assume this feeling is present with each possibility of a bottom turn.

When it happened tonight, I felt it for a half-second, then it was gone.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 pm

Wednesday, October 9th

Surfing 30 minutes

Conditions looked mixed up (instead of clean waves, separated at regular intervals, there were intermingled peaks), but many waves stayed fun and open.

Yesterday, on at least 3 occasions, I felt I should have grabbed my rail when doing a turn. This comes in handy when the wave face isn't that steep, but not once did I do it. My mind would say "you should grab your rail" and then I wouldn't. I made all the turns yesterday, but I think each would have been stronger with that technique. Today, my mind said "grab it" and I grabbed immediately.

----
Surfing 45 minutes

Went to another spot and although it was small, many had good shape and stayed open for a few sections. Noticed I still am not putting my foot all the way on the tail when turning, maybe some yoga or dynamic warm-ups for better proprioception?

Oh...and tried to search for that power spot from yesterday from which to bottom turn. The second I looked for it I lost the rhythm of the wave, maybe if I try to teach someone else though it will come in handy.

----
Meditation Class 10 minutes [noting thoughts] + Compassion Meditation + Sitting Silently 1 min

I dunno if I've voiced my frustrations too often about teaching meditation, but I find it pretty frustrating.

I've read books, sat in on other teachers, and listened to any feedback I can: speaking slower, speaking more clearly, playing with duration (anywhere from 5-20 minutes, or just paying attention to group irritation levels), meditating with and without the class, music or silent, background sounds or none, lighting candles to focus the gaze on....a bunch of different types of meditation (breath based, unattached awareness based, using mantras)....adding mudras or not.

I fucking feel like I just can't do a good job, or I should say a good enough job. Where whether you fail or not, you're happy with how you played the game.

So today, I was like fuck it I'll just "do my best, have fun and be funny" -- my teacher mantra for today. I was very much considering quitting teaching walking in. I enjoy the 3-5 people that show up, but doing a shitty job is kinda hard on me.

The class was okay, but I had this weird moment during class that lasted a while. And it felt that meditation was prayer....that calming the mind down was somehow more than it usually is. And when class ended and I was talking with people after, I really felt that I had done something different for the 30 minutes of class. Put myself in a different state.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Thursday, October 10th

Surfing 30 minutes

Beach smelled terrible when I got there, and after I got to where the waves were breaking I was informed there was a sewage spill. Hoping I am not sick later :(

My paddle muscles felt worn out and my mind was playing the "you're going to suck" loop. But I used my meditation technique of identifying my thoughts and tried to counter them ("take it slow, pick good waves, negative thoughts don't help"), and even though I missed a few waves I think I could have paddled into...I still surfed pretty good!

Guessing that avoiding focusing on my scapular positioning during my last workout contributed to the shoulder exhaustion - that has been the case in the past.

Surfing 1.25 hours

Chose a different spot. Paddled out and caught 5 fun waves in 15 minutes, 1 wave in the next 30 minutes, then 0 waves the 30 after that.

Sunuvabitch, again with not reapplying sunscreen fast enough. 45 minutes hard rule (30 if I'm already over sun-exposed).

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Friday, October 11th

Surfing 1 hour

The swell we had is almost gone, but I paddled out with Ron already in the water. Clear as a fish tank today, spotted a Garibaldi over the swaying eel grass, and surfed over a tiny shark or a duck.

Waves were small, but somehow I managed to get a few good ones. Again, I noticed this little voice saying things like "you should do a deeper bottom turn" or "grab your rail." Again, I ignored this and basically blew every wave this happened on.

Killed it on sunscreen the first 30 minutes, then waited about 40 minutes to come in the next time. Surfing is so goddamn compulsive like gambling or something. Got to stay stronger.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Sunday, October 13th - Upper Body Pull

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Chin-Ups +20lbs x 5, +25lbs x 4, +30lbs x 3, +35lbs x 2, +40lbs x 1

Pull-Ups x 5, 4, 3

Seated Rows 42.5lbs x 4 sets
and
Standing Rows to Chest 70-85lbs x 4 sets

BB Curls 50-60lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Reverse Curls 40-50lbs x 4 sets

BB Reverse Wrist Curls 20lbs x 4 sets
and
BB Wrist Curls 40lbs x 4 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's 5lbs x 3 sets
Kneeling Cable Reverse Fly's - High to Low 5-7.5lbs x 3 sets
Cable Reverse Fly's - Low to High 2.5lbs x 2 sets

Decline Leg Raises x 4 sets
and
BOSU Sit-Ups w/ Band x 4 sets

Repeat Stretches

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:47 am

Monday, October 14th

Surfing 30 minutes

Very small waves. In a moment of absent-mindedness I cracked the tail of my board on my door as I was leaving home, dang it :(

Got a few waves, just cruising along. My buddy was out along with a local I know, the waves were so small and the local lost the board (my friend was in his line, and could have/should have swam into the whitewater) and ran my friend over. Literally three people out and the guy who HIT him was yelling and cursing him out. Bad vibes :(

Sore from yesterday, mainly rear delts.

Meditation 10 minutes [repeating "forgiveness"] + Compassion Meditation

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 am

Tuesday, October 15th

Surfing 45 minutes

Fairly atrocious conditions. Managed a few waves where I just tried not to hit any rocks (hit a rock paddling out, the tide was quite low). Balance and turning power felt weak. This is something I've noticed when I don't train the TVA, so I'm going to re-do abs tonight and see if I can figure out a way to integrate them. When I've attempted to draw the TVA in for the entire rep of an ab exercise, it makes me surf better, but my abs get locked in this permanent weak place and my low back starts to bug me. On obliques I reduced TVA activation to just during the concentric on lateral flexion and eccentric on rotation, which seemed to work great.

----

Hanging Knee Raises w/ TVA x 2 sets
and
Leg Raises w/ TVA x 3 sets
and
Decline Sit-Ups w/ TVA x 3 sets

Decided, after messing around, to contract the TVA only on the concentric. Seemed to work well.

Afterwards, went and tried to surf, but paddled like shit and caught nothing. When I contract my shoulder blades down and back during pulls (rows, chin-ups, reverse flyes, external rotation) I seem to paddle pretty fast. And when I skip it I seem to paddle pretty slow.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:46 pm

Wednesday, October 16th

Meditation 15 minutes [repeating "impermanence," breathing slow, posture] + Compassion Meditation

There was a huge amount of drilling during this meditation in the room above me, and during the compassion meditation a woman opened the door and asked loudly "is this where the drilling is coming from?!"

Felt pretty fucking good though. Today's class/teacher mantra was "curious, cool, smart, funny, take care" - noted because I thought I did a better than average job of things. Oh and once we started I never gave a reminder to breathe, or sit-up right or whatever. All that was done in the prep work and then 15 minutes of silence...and drilling.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Thursday, October 17th

First client didn't show today, so:

Meditation 20 minutes [breathing + observing]

----

As mentioned a few posts ago, I had done what I thought was a killer back and ab workout, but my balance on a surfboard and my paddle speed both suffered. So I shuffled a few things around. Every set of pull-downs, rows and reverse flies was done with a smooth squeeze of the shoulder blades down and back. The abs were all done from a neutral spine, and ignored the TVA. Then the TVA was targeted with its own exercise.

The surf I heard was remarkable this morning, but a windy mess as of 3pm.

Hanging Knee Raises x 3 sets
Decline Leg/Knee Raises x 3 sets
BOSU Sit-Up w/ Band x 2 sets
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1/2 x 4 sets

Note: core felt great after this

Lat Pull-Downs OHG 70lbs x 4 sets
Lat Pull-Downs PG 70lbs x 4 sets
Seated Rows - Elbows In 35lbs x 4 sets
Standing Rows - Elbows High 55lbs x 4 sets
Standing Reverse Flies 15lbs x 4 sets
Reverse Grip Terminal Pull-Downs - Orange Band x 4 sets

Note: this was boring as shit, but I squeezed them scaps every rep

EZ-Bar Curl 60-70lbs x 3 sets
DB Hammer Curl 20's-22.5's x 3 sets
EZ-Bar Reverse Curl 40-50lbs x 2 sets

BB Ulnar Deviation 9's x 2 sets
and
BB Radial Deviation 9's x 2 sets

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Friday, October 18th

Surfing 30 minutes

Got one okay wave. Turbo paddle speed was gone and caused me to fearfully back off a number of medium-but-steep waves.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:14 pm

Saturday, October 19th

Surfing 3 hours

It was a short interval combo swell, with southeast winds, and so I guessed (accurately) that La Jolla Shores would be a good bet.

Lots of beautiful waves were on offer and a teeming horde of people was there to chase them, even at 7am.

My left posterior shoulder, which hasn't bugged me in a long time, was giving out on multiple attempts to pop-up (I would just fall back on the board). This also was accompanied with pain and very slow paddling.

The handful of times I got to my feet, I still felt awkward, but managed two crummily surfed (but nicely shaped) rights.

I caught one gorgeous left towards the end, but there was 4-5 people directly in my way, so I straightened out to avoid them, somehow was still on the wave, set up for a turn...and had more people in the way.

Sigh...And yet!

Part of the reason for surfing this spot today - besides the good forecast - was to celebrate Walter Munk:

"Walter Munk revolutionized our understanding of the ocean and of Earth’s rotation. He synthesized observations, theory and empirical rules to solve problems both fundamental and practical — about waves, tides, mixing, circulation and more. His early work aided Allied beach landings in the Second World War, and from 1968 he was part of JASON, the elite group of scientists that advises the US government on military matters."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00750-5

I did not know Walter, but he was famed as much for his kind nature as for his brilliant mind. And he's had an enormous impact on my ability to enjoy surfing, by laying a huge amount of groundwork for swell forecasting. So I was happy to have a chance to celebrate a life well lived (he passed away in February at 101 years).

It was a wonderful ceremony, with a variety of speakers from big wave surfers, to lifeguards, to fellow scientists weighing in. At the end, a large circle was formed with about 150 of us holding hands while a Hawaiian spiritual leader led us in a traditional celebration of life.

This was followed by around 50 of us paddling out past the waves and again forming a circle. The Hawaiian repeated the ceremony, this time punctuated by blasts from a conch shell, flowers being released in the middle of the circle and all of us splashing water upwards while shouting his name.

I talked to the Hawaiian for a few moments afterward and he said the Ocean is all about love, aloha and respect. And he gave me a great handshake with a kiss on the shoulder.

Good vibes!

----

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets
DB Side Lying External Rotation 5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets
Last edited by Bram on Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:53 pm

Just spent about an hour in a coffee shop re-writing my program.

With my shoulder worn out, I've decided that I've been doing too damn much on the stabilizers and being counter-productive.

So I cut the volume on mid traps, low traps, internal and external rotation. I also am now able to squeeze in extra dynamic quad work which should help my athleticism.

Upper Pull

Chin-Ups
Pull-Ups
Rows - Elbows In
Rows - Elbows Out
Curls
Abs
TVA
Upper-Traps
Forearms
Mid or Low-Traps

Cut volume for mid/low traps in half. Added upper traps.

Upper Push

Chest
Shoulders
Triceps
Obliques
TVA
Serratus
Neck
Rotator Cuff

Cut volume for rotator cuff in half. Added TVA.

Full-Body

Dynamic Warm-Up
Lower Push 2-Leg
Lower Push 1-Leg
Lower Pull
Upper Pull
Upper Push
Ab
Oblique
TVA
Rotator Cuff/Rear Delt
Glute Bridge - Bent Leg
Glute Bridge - Straight Leg

Cut volume for rotator cuff/rear delts in half. Added an extra lower push variation.

Last change was returning to a rotation for internal rotation, external rotation and rear delts.

Upper Pull Week 1 Rear Delt
Upper Push Week 1 Int/Ext
Full Body Week 1 Int/Int

Upper Pull Week 2 Rear Delt
Upper Push Week 2 Ext/Ext
Full Body Week 2 Rear Delt

Week 1 - R Cuff x 2, RD x 1
Week 2 - R Cuff x 1, RD x 2

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:31 pm

Sunday, October 20th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Shoulder felt better after the light rotator cuff work yesterday, but wore out after about 45 minutes. Got about 4-5 waves that I felt I surfed well and also fell a lot. Not only did my arms give out, but my balance was bad on a number of waves.

Gorgeous day!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Reading "The Mastership Game," and came across this passage:

"All problems have a solution. That I have always believed. When people declare there is no solution it simply means that they cannot see one. The limitation lies in themselves. Through the rigidity of the their minds or the imperfection of their vision they are blind. The solution itself is neither confused nor complex. It is the beholder who brings confusion to the object beheld and, by failing to discard his or her desires and prejudices, the search is usually in vain. People who wish to find the solution and the path to it must first consider themselves and analyse their own thoughts. In that way they can reflect on the situation with the unclouded clarity of a mirror."

----

It makes me think of both my struggles in designing my training, and my struggles while surfing.

My recent program design mistakes come from not wanting to do certain exercises....or from over-doing certain exercises. If I did less of the ones I shouldn't and more of the ones I should, it would still be the same length.

My big surfing issues are sunscreen (more accurately it is compulsively trying to catch satisfying waves when it's time to reapply), and not doing a deep bottom turn (which I think stems from fear of getting smashed by the ocean).

I do think that all of this has a solution, but it's going to require me to change something. Whether that's adding more to think about, removing more, or both, I'm not sure.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:15 am

Monday, October 21st

Meditation Class

15 minutes Seated Meditation [breath, posture, relax, aware] + Compassion Meditation

----

Running in Place x 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
3 rounds

Overhead Squats 6lbs x 10-15
and
Spider-Man's x 10 each side
and
Inside-to-Outside Crescent Kicks x 10 each
3 rounds

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Endless Rope x 1 minute x 807, 790, 754, 763

Box Jumps 30" x 10, 33" x 10, 36" x 5 x 2 sets
and
Med Ball Chest Pass 6lbs x 20 x 4 sets

1-Leg Box Jumps 18" x 10 each x 2 sets, 21" x 5 each x 2 sets

Mountain Climbers x 1 minute x 104, 97, 74, 73
and
45 Degree Side Bend Hold +10lbs x 1 minute each x 4 sets

45 Degree Low Back Hold x 1.5 minutes, 1.25, 1, 1
and
Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Stretch 10 minutes

Notes: this took 2 hours, I had no power for doing TVA (tried after abs) and my back felt good enough with out straight-leg glute extensions at the end (tried after low back). I do think that straight-leg glutes are useful, so next time I might try super-setting them for 2 rounds each with bent-leg glute extensions.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:32 am

Tuesday, October 22nd

Surfing 30 minutes

Beautiful waves, but another frustrating session as I mistimed a number of them. Towards the end I made a drop on a big beautiful wave, picked the wrong line and had it dump on my head. That said I came up laughing and thinking "Worth it!"

----

We have a little challenge at the gym to see if you can hang from a pull-up bar for 100 seconds. Focused on "chest up, shoulders down" and got it :)

----

Surfing 1 hour

Added "stay focused" to my mental checklist and started catching a ton of waves. At one point, I watched some people start to paddle out towards an oncoming set, but read the conditions correctly, paddled towards shore and got a scorching wave in - worth recording cause I tend to be a sheep in these situations. Had some notably fierce turns and also made a big set wave that looked like it would barrel for about 2-3 seconds, I think I could have been tubed had I stalled. Came out of that and did some turns.

Intention and effort felt on point. Self-belief was a bit shaky.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Wednesday, October 23rd

Meditation Class

Seated Meditation 15 minutes [breath, posture, relax, aware] + Compassion Meditation

I mentioned last week that having a few thoughts in my head as a teacher has really helped my teaching, and allowed me to keep the meditation itself very simple. Employed a mudra today, will look up the name and record it later. Today's teacher mantra: clean, cool, curious, smart, funny, take care

Surfing 1 hour

Another day of gorgeous waves. Got a nice selection of rides with a variety of maneuvers. Stoked!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:26 pm

Thursday, October 24th

Surfing 45 minutes

Beautiful waves. Paddled like shit. Caught two waves that I was too far behind to make it to the open face. And one where I blew my first turn. Pounding my board in frustration. And it looks like someone dropped a cannonball from 20 feet on my board too (noticed after I got to the beach).

Friday, October 25th

The plus side of surfing like trash is it motivates me to do better.

Re-doing Monday's workout with a raft of changes.

Running in Place x 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
3 rounds

Overhead Squats - Broomstick x 10-15
and
Spider-Man's x 10 each side
and
Inside-to-Outside Crescent Kicks x 7 each/Outside-to-Inside Crescent Kicks x 7 each
3 rounds

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Box Jumps 33" x 10, 36" x 10, 39" x 5 x 2 sets
and
Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 632 feet (PR?), 625, 630, 625 - best overall score

1-Leg Box Jumps 21" x 10 each x 2 sets, 24" x 5 each x 2 sets
and
Med Ball Chest Pass 10lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

Mountain Climbers x 45 seconds x 100, 94, 91, 83
and
45 Degree Side Bend Hold +10lbs [contract glutes and TVA] x 1 minute each x 4 sets

Seated Cable Row [contract shoulder blades down and back as you go] 35lbs x 20, 40lbs x 15, 15; 35lbs x 15
and
Glute-Ham Raise - Negative [contract glutes and tilt pelvis] x 10, 8, 7, 6

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee [reset shoulder before each negative] 30lbs x 20R/L, 20R/11L
and
45 Degree Low Back Hold +10lbs [contract glutes] x 1 minute x 2 sets, BW x 45 seconds x 2 sets

Stretch 10 minutes

Notes: One of the best workouts of my life! Felt phenomenal, nice flow too. Changes -- switched to broomstick overhead squats and added out-to-in crescent kicks to the warm-up (hips felt good!)...cut bent-leg glute extension to 2 sets...cut endless rope and mountain climbers from 1 minute sets to 45 seconds...added 2 sets of straight-leg glute extension after quad work...added TVA and glute contraction to obliques...added rows and knee flexion...added glute contraction to low back hold.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 pm

Monday, October 28th

Saturday was scorching hot, Sunday was gusting winds so no surfing.

Surfing 1 hour

Had so much fun! I went out on my fish and the water couldn't have been more inviting. This sweet-hearted girl was out and immediately called me into a wave ("I've had enough already, you take one!"). Such a nice rhythm with the ocean! There was sardines swimming all around me, the water was warm and clear and the waves were consistent. Half-way through my buddy wanted to switch, so I longboarded and got a few nice ones. Reminded me of why I love surfing - it's just play, and out in Mother Nature. Good day!

----

Seated Stretches [hips on the ground, lean forward, lean to the side, lean back, twist] + Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation

----

Surfing 30 minutes

After meditation I thought about what Kimokeo Kapahulehua had said at the memorial for Walter Munk, how "the Ocean is all about love, aloha, and respect." And I thought of that girl today who gave me a wave right when I got out, and how good her generosity made me feel. So I kept "love, aloha, respect" in mind as I paddled out. I ran into Ted from Big Rock, chatted for a bit, hooted his waves, and he proceeded to tell me that I was one of his favorite people to surf with because I'm always so positive. :heart: I'm not saying that it had an effect tonight, but they certainly are kind words to hold on to.

Got about 8 waves, all fun, at Windansea. Still struggling with my power bottom turn (power bottom 8-[ ), and maybe it's more leg extension strength? I dunno, but will give it a try!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 am

October 30th - Legs
October 31st - Back
November 1st - Chest
November 2nd - Rock Climbing
November 3rd - Surfing

November 4th - Full Body + Meditation
November 5th - Meditation
November 6th - Legs + Meditation
November 7th - Back
November 8th - Chest
November 9th - Surfing
November 10th - Surfing

November 11th - Full-Body + Surfing + Meditation
November 12th - Surfing x 2
November 13th - Surfing + Meditation
November 14th - Legs
November 15th - Surfing
November 16th - Surfing x 2
November 17th - Surfing Mobility Workshop + Back + Surfing
Last edited by Bram on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:12 am

November 18th - Surfing + Meditation
November 19th - Rest
November 20th - Meditation
Last edited by Bram on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

motherjuggs&speed
Lance Cpl.

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:08 am

I have read your iterations of mantras with interest. I also use mantras/coaching cues to help me do things. I have also struggled to find one super cue to help me do what I should do and avoid doing bad things. One concept I find to be a useful framing is Pressfield's Turning Pro. In everything, ask how would a pro do this/handle this? Meaning not the getting paid part but someone who has it together. I have not yet incorporated this into a specific grab though yet.

The grab concept I got from Killer Poker. It's something that's short, easy to learn, easy to understand, easy to remember and easy to use. It's good if it's actually helpful (unlike my default statement of angrily cursing myself). "Righty tighty, lefty loosy" is a grab. From Omaha Hi/Lo, "Big or little but not in the middle" is a grab for choosing starting hands.

I have found for some tasks it helps to have a little rhyme or mini poem or almost rap. This has helped me to get dialed in when tired. I tend to invent ones that sound kind of funny but that might also help them me do them when I need them. For example, when I was fulltime RVing, one was

Hark!
Get to the park.
Before it gets dark
Unlike Zeke, Miller won't buy you a bottle of Cutty Sark

The idea of a super mantra has appeal as well, but the saying "each war is fought by the lessons of the last one" applies to my efforts here. I have usually tried to focus on what I thought were important elements but overlooked others that were more important. For example, I have tried to de-escalate situations. This is read by others as a sign of weakness and thus they up the ante, a lot. I wish I had a bunch of helpful cues to suggest, but the only one I have tried that actually has helped me is to ask myself, "What is procedure here?" Meaning the proper recommended course to take Right Now. This very moment. That has helped me a few times and would have saved what was left of my life had I followed it at almost any time in my life prior to when I started using it. I still don't do this consistently though, either remind myself or Do The Thing. I may need a grab for that, or built in alarm, or something.

I think though that they have to be clear, specific acts. I'm not a fighter but I watch a lot of fights and hear a lot of both good and bad corner instructions. Seems to me good cues have some or all of these attributes --

Action, meaning a specific action, Do This -- "jab a lot more", "hit him with the right hand on the break", "stay in the middle". This can be tricky as a lot of cues are too complex, IMO. "Have to grab the rail" seems to me not as helpful as "grab rail".

Simple

No thought required

Clear

Will come to mind quickly ***in the moment*** it's needed.

Short, so it can be implemented in that moment. As Jethro Bodine said, "time they call you for supper you done missed it!"

Actionable by that guy, meaning the tired, stressed, overloaded guy who will need it under the gun, not just what sounds good while sipping a latte. For me, "eyes on the road" is one I have used with lifesaving effect. Meaning I do not take my eyes off the road while driving. Some people have griped about me not looking at them when they are in the front seat but TTT, I'm watching the road. At all times. This habit has kept me from looking away for too long. Tired Me can't handle complex instructions and will not do them correctly anyway so I give him habits and procedures and systems that even he is unlikely to mess up. I have to keep improving these though.

Lands well emotionally , or at least doesn't jar. Meaning, there are a lot of tips that people have given me but they don't feel right to me and so I haven't used them.

Doesn't feel bad later to think of.

Works well with other tips. It's okay to have different cues for different situations but cues for the same task should probably not conflict.

It might also help to have some that encapsulate more info than specified. Go Pro implies a lot of things. For a fighter, "protect yourself at all times" does too. The ref doesn't say, "watch to make sure he doesn't hit you late, or assume I've stopped the action, or assume the round is over" or a hundred other things, just protect yourself at all times.

I just thought of another possibly helpful idea for this but I'll make that another post.