Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue May 05, 2020 2:17 am

Monday, May 4th

Surfing 5 hours

Caught maybe a dozen waves, with two decent ones. Surfed well on those waves. Applied sunscreen religiously. Kept good energy with other surfers the entire time. Although my mind got frustrated with the low amount of waves I was catching, I just dropped the negativity as quickly as I could.

Now having a tasty af margarita.

----

Today's mantra was:

"connect, have fun, do your best, be desire-less, be gone, let go"

Might have finally finished trying to figure out what the hell to think about when I surf (surfed well). Maybe it will carry over to other things too: being a good human (it did today in the water), taking care of myself (it did today in the water), saving money, etc.

Having more than one of these mental checklists to think about has been a dangerous detour for my mental health.

I can't be thinking about one thing when I surf, then another one if I run into personal training clients, and a third if I run into meditation students, and a fourth if I have a conflict with people. But that is what I've been doing off and on the past 3-4 years while trying to find the right mental checklist.

Fuck, who knows, maybe the above will work and the chronicling of it here will help one of y'all who read some of it. That's the hope at least!
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue May 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo

Foam Rolling 5 minutes + Dynamic Warm-Up 10 minutes

Started to do pull-ups and had pretty severe pain in my L posterior shoulder.

This has been a common occurrence anytime I neglect internal rotation work. And although my shoulder felt fine paddling for 5 hours yesterday, having an imbalance would help explain my difficulty in catching waves.

So:

Band Internal Rotation - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets [smoothly bringing shoulder blade down and back on the negative]

Band Reverse Fly [smoothly bringing shoulder blades down and back on the positive]
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 [elongating neck which helped] x 15 each x 2 sets

Band Internal Rotation - Green x 20 each x 2 sets [smoothly bringing shoulder blade down and back on the positive]
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed May 06, 2020 7:02 pm

Wednesday, May 6th

Yoga 10 minutes + Breath Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation 5 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes + Gratitude Reflection

Added in nature connection, which today was to lay on my back underneath a tree and watch the birds and bugs fly by. For such a short time spent, felt quite valuable.

----

Barefoot Beach Jog 30 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu May 07, 2020 1:54 pm

Came across Noah HIll's videos and had no idea if he was a good surfer, or just chipping in with his 2 cents.

Turns out he's a multiple time national champ among other accolades. And he was trained as a kid by Brad Gerlach, one of the best pro surfers of the past 30 years. I wrote down everything in this video.

How to improve your surfing FAST and EASY with Noah Hill

1. Become self-aware. This simply means film yourself surfing, or get someone else to do it.
2. Work on your posture. Chest should be up, back should be flat, shoulders should be even.
3. Drop your center of gravity. Bend from your knees, don’t hinge from your hips. When you lean forward, that’s where your body goes.
4. Work on your body language/style. You need a very neutral surf stance (arms are relaxed, good posture, low center of gravity). Your arms should be ready for whatever happens next. If you are exaggerating your arm movement, it’s going to take longer to react to the next section.

Try using a mirror and your legs. That’s what Noah did. All he did was stand in front of a mirror and practice his surf stance.

Noah, at 10, lost every contest in a row for a year. The next year he won a national championship.

Start with going into your natural surf stance and critique it.

* Your back - is your back straight? If not, fix your posture.
* Your center of gravity - is your butt high, are you hinging your hips? If so, drop your butt lower. He’s at 90 degrees, or just above it.
* Your back arm should be centered with your body, reaching up slightly (like you’d be grabbing a fat rail)
* Your front arm should be centered with your body, relaxed/drooping/hanging by your side.

If you can’t do the above, deep, stretch your legs and do wall sits.

Once you can do the stance, work on rocking your weight from your heels to your toes, and from your back foot to your front foot. Do this without leaning your posture or head.

TLDR - film yourself surfing and work on your surf stance at home

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu May 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Thursday, May 7th

This is a slightly modified version of what I posted in my "workout programs" journal from a few days ago. Added internal rotation and tva, dropped low trap and serratus. If I make progress from today, I will modify the "workout program" entry to reflect the changes.

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side x 20 each x 2 sets

Commando Chin-Ups x 7, 5 (man, I have lost some progress on this)

Towel Rows x 15, 12

Modified Handstand Push-Ups x 15, 15 (hey, better! used a higher bench for my knees)

Push-Ups x 17, 11

Band Curls x 20, 15
and
Band Pushdowns x 20, 20

V-Ups x 18, 11
and
Dragon Kicks (oblique plank variant) x 7 each, 5 each

Sahrmann Level 2 x 15 each
and
Band Reverse Fly x 20, 15

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side x 20 each x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes (great way to finish a workout!)

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Ohhhhhhhhh! I got to the beach and for 20 minutes it was just perfection. Gentle offshore winds, perfectly shaped waves that tapered to the beach. Crowded, but I stayed on the inside and got these stunners. Then the tide came up quick and it shut down a bit. :heart:

Tonight's swell:

3.8ft at 10s WNW 283º
0.8ft at 15s SSW 203º
0.8ft at 11s SSW 193º

Recent picture of the bioluminescence:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Friday, May 8th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Noticed that I had put a hole right through the top of my board yesterday, so that's at least 3 boards that are broken enough that they shouldn't be surfed.

Took out a 7'6" (lately I've been on a 6'1") and it was a change of pace. My movements had to be more subtle to stay connected to the board. Got some fun waves at the beginning, then a nice one towards the end.

As I came in I got spiked reasonably hard on my head into the sand and cranked my neck.

Luckily, it wasn't any worse, but I think I should include a little bit of neck exercise to keep a base level of strength in that area.

----

Surfing 45 minutes

It went from windy earlier to calm and beautiful this evening. Friendly people in the water, from junior high kids up to 50 year olds, one poor kid had a big cut on her foot from evidently stepping on a sting ray. Looked very painful!!

My neighbor was in the water, the one whom we had recently talked out our differences, and we were friendly to each other. I cheered him into his waves and he called me into a nice one he couldn't make. I'm very happy that the situation was handled in a way that felt honest to myself and that the outcome resulted in increasing his and my overall happiness and well-being :)

Surfing's funny. As much as I want to catch lots of waves and surf well, the act of paddling out so many times over the past 20 years has allowed me to learn and grow in ways I would never have anticipated.
Last edited by Bram on Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 pm

Saturday, May 9th

Surfing 2 hours

Mellow waves. Getting hyped for UFC 249 later!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 pm

Sunday, May 10th

Surfing 3+ hours

My buddy Frank got a sick barrel! He was scratching into some big waves, grabbing the edge of his board and hauling ass down the line, on one of them the wave shaped up into a perfect cylinder and he stalled and had it envelope him, before he shot out to safety. Yeeeeeah Frankie!!!!

I got 5 waves total (haha, some days you are in rhythm, some days you aren't). But! I pulled off my first layback snap (vertical turn where you fall over backwards, then the board swings around under you, and you end up back on your feet) and my first lip-line floater (carve using the oncoming falling lip of the wave). So my feet were good, yew!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 pm

Monday, May 11th

Joint Mobility 10 minutes

Band Box Squat [12" box] - Purple + Orange x 20 x 2 sets
and
1-Leg Calf Raise x 20 each x 2 sets

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Hip Flexor Stretch x 2 sets

Bulgarian Split-Squat x 15 each x 2 sets
and
1-Leg Shin Raise x 20 each x 2 sets

Nordic Ham Curl x 10 x 2 sets
and
Quadriceps Stretch x 2 sets

Band Good Morning - Purple + Orange x 20 x 2 sets
and
Glute External Rotator Stretch x 2 sets

Band Hip Adduction - Orange x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Band Hip Abduction - Orange x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Hip Flexion - Orange x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Band Hip Extension - Orange x 20 each x 2 sets

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Dedicated my yoga practice to my mom. Frances Helen Kumin was an artist, musician, teacher, and loving mother. She passed away when I was a little kid. I usually don't dedicate my yoga practice to anything, but I instantly felt stronger and more focused. And during the practice I had some ideas on how to honor her memory.

:heart:

----

Since my mom was an artist and a musician, I decided to take some YouTube classes today on drawing and playing music (neither which I do that often). Made me feel really good, miss you mom.

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Very big occasionally, very sketchy occasionally. Got one super fun wave right at the beginning, then one big wave at the end.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Tuesday, May 12th

My left posterior shoulder was hurting, so:

Straight-Arm Band Pull Down x 20 x 2 sets

Serratus Push-Ups (kinda hurt) x 20

Internal Band Rotation x 20 each x 2 sets

External Band Rotation x 20 each x 2 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught 5-6 waves on a big, soft, beautiful day. There were not a lot of opportunities between the crowd and the long waits between waves, came in feeling happy :)

Shoulder felt fine after!

----

I commented in a thread about Stress Management, and realized that the healthy things I do are actually stressing me out. The only thing I've been enjoying 100% currently is yoga. It's simply 10-15 minutes of whatever I want to do. My workouts, and meditation practice, on the other hand, is regimented, longer than I would prefer, and generally unenjoyable.

I think I'll go back to my old format:

I pick 5 exercises, do them for 4 sets each, then stretch afterwards for 15 minutes.

If I want to do an intense workout then I can pick things like chin-ups, hill sprints, etc. And if my body is tired, I can do rotator cuff and hip stabilizers (which do help my surfing), or just call it a rest day.
Last edited by Bram on Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed May 13, 2020 3:36 pm

Wednesday, May 13th

Chin-Ups x 4, 4, 5, 5
and
Lunge w/ Back Foot Elevated x 15, 12, 10, 8

Push-Ups x 15, 12, 12, 12
and
V-Ups x 15, 12, 12, 12

Band Good Morning x 20, 15, 15, 15

Stretching 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Thursday, May 14th - Lower Body Stabilizers

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Side Lying 1-Leg Adduction x 20 each x 4 sets

Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

EDIT: I had originally performed this workout without the band TKE's. When I tried to surf, my knee was very unstable. Not painful, but indicative that I should have added some VMO work. I went home after that surf attempt and did the TKE's. The edit is to show the workout in a more uniform fashion. Originally the final exercise was a band shoulder internal rotation, and it was a grab bag approach to stability.
Last edited by Bram on Sun May 17, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu May 14, 2020 8:45 pm

Friday, May 15th

Meditation 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 17, 2020 4:39 pm

Sunday, May 17th

After feeling uninspired to surf the past few days, I finally hopped in the water this morning. After missing my first attempt, I ducked my board under an oncoming wave and immediately smashed the nose into the rocks below.

On the next wave, the board slipped out from under me, and the fins on the bottom hit me in the feet and the ass.

The final wave, I got to my feet and the board felt horrifically unstable. When I tried to ride the whitewash into the beach, I instead got sucked towards some rocks. I managed to fight against the current, get to my feet, and almost to shore. Then was drilled by a rogue wave, ripped off my feet, with the board sent into the rocks (luckily avoiding anymore damage) as I was tossed around, completely out of control.

My hypothesis is that during my last workout, I did a random assortment of exercises, which contributed to my difficulty today. I trained hip stability (adduction, abduction, hip flexion, hip extension), and shoulder internal rotation. But I didn't include the knee stabilizer exercise that has seemed essential with staying healthy since injuring myself about 4 years ago - training the VMO.

In the past, when I've neglected the VMO, the board has felt the same as it did today. I went home and knocked out some band TKE's and edited my last workout entry, because training the hip and knee together seems like a better balance.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Monday, May 18th - Upper Body Stabilizers

Primary focus was on smoothly drawing the shoulder blades down and back. Secondary focus was on a tight core.

Band Internal Rotation - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets
and
Serratus Push-Ups x 20 x 4 sets

Band Reverse Flies x 20 x 4 sets
and
Wall Handstand Holds x 45 seconds x 4 sets

Band External Rotation - Green x 20 each x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Note: happy to report my upper traps got sore from this. The goal was to target upper, lower, middle traps and serratus, along with the rotator cuff. Each muscle group feels worked.

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Went to Hermos, it's a spot that likes a high tide and a combo swell, and that's what was on tap today. Got a couple waves. For some reason I knew where to sit (the crowd was way off to the side), but I let waves go so I wouldn't be a selfish prick.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Tuesday, May 18th - Core and Extremity Stabilizers

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets
and
Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch

Broomstick Ulnar Deviation x 20 x 2 sets
and
Broomstick Radial Deviation x 20 x 2 sets

Banded Neck Retraction - Purple x 20 x 4 sets

Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 each x 3 sets, Level 1 x 15 each

Kegel's x 20 x 4 sets

EDIT: after surfing the next day and feeling uncoordinated, I knocked out a couple sets of Kegel's (genital sit-ups) and surfed better. Haha, at least I think I did. Originally this workout had shin raises in it, but since they were done without calves (I try to include balanced joint stuff when I train), I decided to ditch 'em.

----

Meditation 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed May 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Wednesday, May 20th

Surfing 30 minutes

Super fun conditions! Wish I would have got my butt in gear faster, as work brought me in quickly.

Body felt good, at least after I knocked out some Kegel's (seriously seemed to help) after blowing my first few waves.

Well, good....besides my left knee felt a little weak. I'm thinking that the side lying adduction was the culprit - just the wrong range of motion to be strengthening. My knee needs to be strong in surfing when it's abducted, at least more than when my legs are crossing over one another.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu May 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Thursday, May 21st

As I mentioned yesterday, my knee felt a bit unstable while surfing. Which I attribute to my last adductor exercise.

So today:

Focus on tight core and standing leg knee alignment

Standing 1-Leg Band Abduction x 20 x 4 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Band Adduction x 20 x 4 sets

On another note, my shoulders tend to ache if I'm snuggling up with someone. I had a girl over last night, and she laid on my arm for a long time and I didn't think about it (at one point she said is your arm ok? I was rather surprised it was). I believe that the scapulae series I did the other day (shoulder blades up, down, forward, back, internal rotation, external rotation) was a good one.

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Started at Big Rock, but the swell is broken up and the crowd, although small in number, was making it extra challenging to get a good wave.

After a couple mediocre, at best, rides, I walked down to Windansea.

The current was rather strong. By the time I had gotten half-way out, I had been drug down the beach at least 100 feet. But the choppy conditions and current made it so that I was the only guy out at the peak! To surf an expert wave, alone, is a rare privilege. I scored a nice right with a few smooth cutbacks. Then a left where I went for broke on the end section, but my left knee couldn't take it and the board didn't hold my turn. Then a fun, late left that sucked me into a current vortex where I took a bunch of waves on the head before being sucked down the beach. Finally, a beautiful left to finish off.

Windansea is an unusual wave in that there tends to be a section on the left where the wave completely flattens out. If you're looking for it, you turn into the whitewater, wait a moment and then the wave re-forms with a great section. Felt this wonderful harmony with the board and the ocean on that last wave and got some turns that just felt right.

Smiled all the way home :)

----

Band Straight-Leg Hip Flexion x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Band Straight-Leg Hip Extension x 20 each x 4 sets

Band TKE x 20 each x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1 hour

Got a handful of very fun waves, then missed a couple good ones and set out in the water until it got dark enough to say no more. Knee felt fine!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Friday, May 22nd

I'm pretty sure I surfed once or twice today, but not certain.

Saturday, May 23rd: Cardio, Surfing, and Lower Body Stabilizers

Jogging 40 minutes + Stretching 15 minutes

My cousin pulled me into training for a virtual race:

https://runsignup.com/Race/WA/YourTown/TheSummerCampRun

Figured as cardio is something I struggle to get motivated for, this might be a good means of accountability.

I jogged from my house to Tourmaline Surf Park (a little over 15 minutes), which has a nice downhill into a parking lot that overlooks the surf. I did a couple laps while looking at the waves, then ran the hill as fast as I could (45 seconds) and jogged home.

----

Surfing 45 minutes

Looked terrible and was super fun!

Think I can push my surfing performance a little further via stabilizers (my outside L knee and posterior L shoulder both didn't feel 100%). But pulled off some cool moves, last wave was the best!

----

Focus was on a tight core and standing leg knee alignment.

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets

1-Leg Standing Straight-Leg Band Abduction x 20 each x 4 sets
and
1-Leg Standing Straight-Leg Band Adduction x 20 each x 4 sets

1-Leg Standing Straight-Leg Band Hip Flexion x 20 each x 4 sets
and
1-Leg Standing Straight-Leg Band Hip Extension x 20 each x 4 sets

Band TKE x 20 each x 4 sets

----

Surfing 2 hours

Fun!
Last edited by Bram on Sat May 30, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Sunday, May 24th: Surfing

Surfing 1.5 hours

:heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue May 26, 2020 11:57 pm

Tuesday, May 26th: Surfing

Surfing 2 hours

Not a lot of waves on offer, but a beautiful day and good conversation!

A guy I've seen surfing plenty of times, I think his name is Rick, told me great stories about growing up in Montana and his family's cabin there.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed May 27, 2020 9:00 pm

Wednesday, May 27th: Upper Body Stabilizers

focused on driving shoulder blades down and back

Wall Slides x 20 x 4 sets
and
Serratus Push-Ups x 20 x 4 sets

Band Reverse Fly x 20 x 4 sets
and
Handstand Hold x 45 seconds x 4 sets (very tough today!)

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side x 20 each x 2 sets

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Internal Rotation - Cuban Rotation x 20 x 2 sets

Band External Rotation - Cuban Rotation x 20, 19
Last edited by Bram on Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri May 29, 2020 12:24 am

Thursday, May 28th: Surfing

Surfing 3 hours

Picked up a used surfboard last night and took it out today. The waves were very infrequent at first, but the longer I stayed, the more often they came.

New board rips!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 30, 2020 3:25 am

Friday, May 29th: Meditation

Could feel myself getting frustrated and/or impatient about some unfortunate drama. Figured meditation might help.

Meditation 15 minutes [focusing on the breath] + Connecting to Nature 5 minutes

----

Meditation 15 minutes [naming thoughts and feelings, then letting them go]

----

Although I don't remember to connect to nature too often, it always immediately results in the two following things:

A) an increased desire to pick up trash and recycling

B) an increased awareness of natural beauty - I catch myself smelling flowers growing over a fence, listening to birdsong, etc.

For me, connecting to nature consists of whatever is available.

Watching the trees sway in the wind, or the flight of a pack of pelicans, or listening to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore, or the feel of grass beneath my feet.

It's a very beautiful practice, and I'm happy to see even 5 minutes pay off in terms of benefits.
Last edited by Bram on Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat May 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Saturday, May 30th: Accessories and Surfing

Band Curl x 20 x 4 sets
and
Band Kickback x 20, 17, 15, 12

Foot Stool Radial Deviation x 20, 20
and
Foot Stool Ulnar Deviation x 20, 20

Up with 2, Down with 1 Calf Raise x 10 each leg x 4 sets
and
Wall Leaning Shin Raises x 20 x 4 sets

Lying Neck "Yes" [retract chin] x 30, 20
and
Lying Neck "No" [retract chin] x 12 each, 6 each

----

Surfing 1 hour

The waves are pumping by my house, definitely the best day of the year so far.

I walked down rather nervously, as every rotator cuff combination for the past 5 years including elbow elevated work and both internal and external rotation has failed. Failed as in surf session ending pain, falling on my face when I try to pop-up, and missing plenty of waves.

Caught a wave late, and had to ride it on my belly. Then missed a couple because there were people I would have ran into. Then I got a bunch. Like an odd amount.

But my left knee felt weak, and I was a bit leery to overstay my welcome with the amount of waves I was catching, so I called it a short session.

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

A bit windy and the tide had come up, drove around for a bit and settled on Hermos. Another terrific session! :heart: