Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Sun May 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Sunday, May 31st: Meditation and Surfing

Meditation 15 minutes [focusing on the breath] + Connecting to Nature 5 minutes

----

Surfing 2 hours

Went with a friend and stayed out longer than I'd like....as it was hot as fuck and I'm not about that sunburn.

Got a couple waves with a fun shape to them, including a big one that I got some sexy turns on. Yew!
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:34 pm

Monday, June 1st: Meditation

Outside Meditation 15 minutes [focusing on external surroundings] + Connecting to Nature 5 minutes

Note: haven't done this meditation in a while. Trying to focus my consciousness on neutrally taking in the birds chirping, the feel of the breeze, and the sound of the waves crashing. Went to a nice little park overlooking the ocean.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:00 am

Tuesday, June 2nd: Meditation

Outside Meditation 15 minutes [repeating "peace" silently] + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Wednesday, June 3rd: Full Body and Meditation

Standing Twist x 10 each
Ba Gua Tea Exercise x 8 each
Capoeira Ginga x 10 each
High Knees x 10 each
4 rounds

Hill Sprints x 4 sets

Ring Chin-Ups x 7, 5, 4, 4
and
Alternating Leg V-Ups x 10, 8, 8, 8 each

Push-Ups x 13, 11, 9, 10
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 12, 10, 10, 12 each

Nordic Ham Curl x 8, 8, 6, 6

Yoga 15 minutes

----

Outside Meditation 15 minutes [focusing on the breath] + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:39 pm

Thursday, June 4th: Surfing

Well until yesterday, it had been three weeks since I'd done anything gym related beyond stabilizer and accessory exercises.

Sore today!

Chest, rear delts, obliques, hamstrings, hip flexors, adductors, lats.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Challenging conditions: crowded, very few waves, some of the waves had little power, although there was size.

Surfed like a goofball most of the session. But my last wave, I picked off a big set wave, held my rail for some nice drawn out turns and surfed it all the way to shore.

Definitely a strange vibe in the water...an overcast day and I think everyone is a bit worn out between all the things affecting our country and world right now.

Surfing 2 hours

Got some great waves, did some great turns :heart:

At the end, I messed up my last wave and got sucked into a vortex next to the rocks. There was backwash detonating off of the rock wall I was trying to scramble up, pretty sketchy.
Last edited by Bram on Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:42 pm

Friday, June 5th: Meditation and Surfing

Outside Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

Decided to do my old meditation. I just sit there, breathe deep, relax, keep good posture, be lightly aware of things, but let them go.

The surf looked REALLY GOOD (I was meditating at a surf spot).

----

Surfing 30-45 minutes

Last night I thought I had just bumped my foot when trying to get out of the water, but when I woke up and walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water, I left a bit of blood on the ground.

I wasn't going to surf, and just let my foot rest, but the waves looked extremely tempting.

Ate shit a couple times, but then found my rhythm and got some fun waves. The last one I did a huge turn. :heart:

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Saturday June 6th: Meditation

Began raining quite strongly half-way through.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Sunday, June 7th: Full Body and Meditation

Running 15-20 seconds
and
Jumping Jacks x 10-15
3 rounds

Squats x 10-15
and
High Plank to Lunge to Thoracic Rotation x 5 each side
and
Standing 1-Leg Hip Circles Out x 7, In x 7
3 rounds

Ring Chin-Ups x 8, 6, 5, 5
and
Box Pistols x 8 each x 4 sets

Push-Ups x 17, 14, 14, 10
and
Alternating Leg V-Ups x 10 each x 4 sets

Nordic Ham Curl - Hip Extension x 12, 10, 10, 10
and
Band Internal Rotation x 20 each x 2 sets, Band External Rotation x 20 each x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

----

Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes
Last edited by Bram on Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

newguy
Sgt. Major

Post by newguy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Sunday is the 7th bro! Not the 8th. Stop confusing me. LOL....in fact you're a day off all week!!!!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:45 pm

Hahaha, thanks for noticing! Feel way better now....have something due on the 14th. Sunday is better than a Saturday for responsibilities.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:01 am

Monday, June 8th: Meditation and Surfing

Surfing 1.75 hours

Woof. Chaotic conditions today. Managed at least one solid turn which was my goal. Tried to give good vibes to everyone -- this is my go-to break and I recognized nobody. Easier to cheer than to scowl :happiness:

----

Immediately felt a much deeper sense of calm than normal. I failed to hit the countdown button hard enough on my watch, and went for an extra 7 minutes before checking the time. This left me late for a personal training appointment, and then I got stuck in traffic. I was calm to a degree that I haven't experienced in years. When I got there, I knocked on every entrance to the house before leaving. I'd already forgotten about the appointment by the time I walked away.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 pm

You are indeed a Californian. Blew an appointment and the takeaway is, you're proud of yourself for not being stressed about it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:31 pm

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 pm
You are indeed a Californian. Blew an appointment and the takeaway is, you're proud of yourself for not being stressed about it.
I was 7 minutes late for a tentative appointment, I was unable to contact them without a phone to confirm or cancel. They in fact did not show up for this, which was confirmed last night.

The situation (not setting my alarm correctly) was already in place, the traffic I had to get through was not navigable, I handled it the best I could and without stress.

Their next appointment is in 30 minutes.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Tuesday, June 9th: Meditation

Wednesday, June 10th: Meditation and Surfing

Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation + Gratitude Reflection + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

One of the spots I've surfed regularly is known for a large rock that projects out of the water. Today the tide was very low and you could walk all the way out there, if you were willing to get wet. Some random kid and me explored for 30 minutes, finding starfish (with a wasting disease, you'd only see a single arm), lots of crabs, anemone, mussels, and barnacles. The water, after months of murky red tide, was crystal clear. Very cool!

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Only 3-4 waves the entire time, the sets were very seldom and there was a lot of people. But my first wave I slammed a huge turn. Yew!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 am

Thursday, June 11th: Lower Body Stabilizers and Surfing

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 4 sets

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets
Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets
1-Leg Standing Band Adduction x 20 each x 4 sets
Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

Band TKE x 20 each x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Very small waves, but an endless supply of them. Awesome session!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:37 am

Friday, June 12th: Meditation

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:53 am

Saturday, June 13th: Meditation and Surfing

Surfing 1 hour

Messy conditions, but a beautiful day! Got a bunch of waves, kind of tricky to surf them as the waves were crumbling in half and bending, but had fun!

----

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 pm

Sunday, June 14th: Meditation and Surfing

Surfing 2.5 hours

Went to my favorite wave (about a 90 minute trip with the drive and walk), and it was the worst I've ever seen it. That said, it was still fun.

This spot has a camera, so I sat there and looked through the handful of waves I caught and noticed two things:

1) When I do a turn, about 75% of the way through, I let off on the pressure, which causes my board to dramatically slow down. I suppose I need to keep the pressure through 100% of it, though not sure. Maybe 90%? or 95%?

2) I'm just kinda slow in general. The surfers I saw, who weren't me, tend to pump (a technique that makes your board speed up) at the beginning and in between maneuvers. I tend to do it only if I'm already going slow, or if it's obvious I can't do anything (the section is closing out in front of me).

Overall, I tend to do a good job. I take off in the right spot, my body mechanics for the most part are pretty good, I'm staying in the right place on the wave, doing the right technique for the section...but if I could keep my speed maxed out, I'd surf better.

----

Note: For a long time now I've been trying to do 90 minutes of weekly meditation. I've tried 15/15/30/30 and a few other combinations, but when it was too long I would just make excuses. But the last two weeks I've gotten the 90 minutes in.

In general, I'm feeling more patient and having an easier time of letting things go.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:05 pm

Tuesday, June 16th: Lower Body Strength and Meditation

Band Box Squats [Purple + Yellow] x 20 x 4 sets
and
2-Up, 1-Down Calf Raises x 15, 15, 12, 10 each

Box Pistols x 12 each x 4 sets
and
Wall Leaning Shin Raises x 20 x 4 sets

Nordic Ham Curls x 10 x 4 sets

Band Good Morning [Purple + Yellow] x 20 x 4 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Note 1: focused on keeping a very squared up stance, with feet at shoulder width and straight ahead, during good mornings. It was a big stretch, but during the yoga afterwards, both hamstrings were noticeably looser.

Note 2: maybe it's hard to notice any little tweaks I keep introducing if you check in to my log occasionally. A lot of adjustments made are due to something feeling off in my surf performance. The past few surfs I've felt good overall, but my stance/legs felt a bit weak, I think which has led to poorer turns. I had tried a couple workouts with a full-body split, with one lower push and one lower pull exercise..but my legs definitely feel stronger for surfing when I perform squats, lunges, hamstrings, and a lower back exercise on the same day a.k.a., a "leg workout."

----

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Wednesday, June 17th: Surfing and Meditation

Surfing 1 hour

Fun 1-2 foot, occasionally larger waves. One guy out (a bodyboarder named Greg who I met today), who left half-way through.

I mentioned on Sunday that I noticed I surf "slow."

Today the goal was to try to generate speed as often as possible between maneuvers. It worked outstandingly well. Although the waves for the most part were small, adding acceleration allowed me to pull of maneuvers I would have normally needed stronger waves for.

My other error I noticed Sunday was a tendency to ease off the gas on my turns towards the end of them. I did better with the extra speed, but I think this is a psychological impediment. I basically whip my body to initiate the turn and then end with a whimper (my head and torso are fighting to rotate the wrong direction). Today I finished a few turns with good power (feeling a strong contraction in my right obliques), but I think I need to still hold them longer and be prepared to immediately generate speed after each turn. The impediment is, I believe, fear of falling. So I back off the turn to increase my chance of staying upright, which costs me speed.

Also, I think my stance is off, cranking the finish on the turns was stressing out my medial knee. I probably need to either evert my ankle or rotate my foot inwards. Perhaps a yet again different adduction exercise might help (cossacks?).

Awesome session though!! :heart:

----

----

Surfing 2 hours

Hit the same spot as this morning. Although the tide was very high (this place tends to shutdown in these conditions), the waves were awesome! Years of not generating speed is a tough habit to overcome, but on the waves where I added it, I turned so much harder. There was one or two waves where I took off and tried to build momentum, but this just caused my fins to slide out and I fell. Once a wave gets steep enough, the only way to survive the drop is to drop straight down the face, or squat down and grab the rail to dig the side of the board in. To build speed though, generally you are going horizontally and standing tall. So I can't default to speed generation, but the vast majority of the time it's going to make for much better surfing.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 pm

Thursday, June 18th: Meditation and Surfing

Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minute

Noticed today I'm better, still not great, at shutting the fuck up when I'm talking to personal training clients. I definitely have a tendency to interject my own thoughts, or finish people's sentences when they pause....noticed those tendencies today and eased up on it.

----

There's a new surf video out with my favorite surfer, Dave Rastovich:

https://vimeo.com/427235539

As I was watching, I noticed he everts his back ankle regularly (you can freeze the above vid at 2:28 for an example). I've been told to do that when I skateboard, but it's never felt comfortable.

I'd never trained it as a motion, so I pulled out some resistance bands, googled an exercise that looked decent

and tried a few sets:

Band Ankle Eversion - Red x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Ankle Inversion - Red x 20 right x 2 sets, Yellow x 20 left x 2 sets

My left ankle is my back leg, and it should be the strongest in inversion of the two legs. Instead I was dramatically weaker on my left leg. Anyways did my sets and surfed.

Surfing 2 hours

Super good vibes from everyone, super fun waves. I think the ankle inversion/eversion helped. When I came in, this really nice guy named Steven offered me some advice:

Try skateboarding and:

a) turn with your feet very close together
b) turn by shifting your weight from your toes to your heels, and back
c) turn by putting most of your weight on your front foot, then most on the back foot

He also mentioned to turn a surfboard using your front shoulder (this could be the error I had the other day). Yesterday, I noticed that as I complete my turns, my head and shoulders are not rotating towards the white water (which they should be), but away from it. I will definitely give that a try!

He suggested to watch pro surfers and notice how they weight the front and back foot, specifically how much they plane the board (where your feet are relatively close and evenly weighted) vs. turn it (weighting your back foot and stepping wider). I think focusing on my glide/plane could make a big difference as I am probably unknowingly overweighting my front foot and back foot causing drag.

Lastly, he said in surfing you don't lift your toes or heels, but you turn from your arch of your foot. And the best way to compress your arch, helping your turns, is to bend your knees. I tried it (just squatting a bit) and sure enough it definitely weights down your arch.

Lots to work on: planing, turning from the shoulders, compressing the arch by bending the knees seem to be the major ones. So grateful Steven took the time to suggest all of that and he was just a very nice person in general.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Friday, June 19th: Surfing, Cardio, and Meditation

Surfing 1 hour

Strange week. Once again the waves were fun, but only one other person out. Super nice brewer named Benny who said "don't worry, we can carousel." Never heard that term for trading waves.

Got a bunch of rides, still feeling off with rotating into the white water. I think I am turning my shoulders enough, but maybe I'm rotating the shoulders by themselves and I need to connect them to the hips.

----

Jogging 30 minutes (last 2 minutes were actual running) + Stretching 15 minutes

----

Today I walked about 10-15 minutes to a small park to meditate. Half-way through, a few people stopped to say hello and chat for a bit. When they left, I started the timer over. Don't know if it was the extra time, or the walk there and back, but felt a deeper sense of peace today.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:29 pm

Saturday, June 20th: Upper Body Pull and Surfing

Shoulder blades smoothly moving down and back on rows and reverse flies. Abs contracted and low back flat on v-ups, tva contracted and low back neutral on Sahrmanns.

Ring Chins x 8, 6, 5, 4
and
Alt. Leg V-Up x 15 each x 4 sets

Ring Rows x 10, 10, 10, 8
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 each x 4 sets

Band Curls ~40lbs x 20 x 4 sets
and
Band Reverse Flies ~20lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Radial Deviation w/ Footstool x 20 x 2 sets
and
Ulnar Deviation w/ Footstool x 20 x 2 sets

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Biceps, Lats, Hip Flexors, Abs

----

Surfing 2 hours

Started at one spot, but another one looked like it had bigger waves. The first break was just me and a bodyboarder named Dave, small and a bit messy, but there were some really fun sections to be had. The second break had around fifteen people, but was quite a bit bigger.

Adjusted my life/surf mantra for the first time in a few months....dropping "let go" and adding "be present." I felt a bit friendlier and more genuine, surfing felt about the same. I'd been noticing I was being agitated in non-surfing situations and am trying to figure out how to keep my mind calm.

"The tree that bends does not break." Knaaamean.

----

Surfing 1.25 hours

It happens to be International Surfing Day. I also happen to have nothing to do, so I went surfing again. Very messy/windy/small-medium. Handful of people out. Got some fun waves, got some fun turns, talked to some nice people.

There's this older guy out here I met a few days ago named Chito. Very high skill level. I can't really tell what he does different besides two things:

1) When he carves, right as he's about the hit the turn he squats deep and strong - like stomping with both feet on something. You could actually hear the THWACK of his fins coming out of the water on at least one of his turns.

2) As he takes off, he both paddles and steers the board so it goes along the edge of the white water. This is the spot with the most speed, so it makes sense that he was turning much harder than anyone.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:01 pm

Sunday, June 21st: Meditation and Surfing

Missed a day (goal is 6 x 15 min's a week), so will try to meditate again later.

----

A photographer nabbed a few pictures of me last night. No images worth sharing, but noticed:

Need to bend my knees more. Legs are almost locked out straight. My bottom turns and top turns should be around a parallel-depth squat.

Need to rotate my front foot forwards. It's actually rotated backwards, this might be the mechanical problem I have completing my turns.

I'm heavy on the back foot, which causes drag. Going out and only working on keeping the board flush with the water surface would be helpful!

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Decided to change my mental checklist and it was a debacle. Only caught a few waves, did not surf well, and got pretty frustrated. And my knees both hurt....I think that doing the inversion/eversion somehow has caused me to have a less healthy foot/knee/hip alignment, so as I turn I'm torquing my knee ligaments and tendons. Plan to do hip internal/external rotation later.

----

Standing Band Straight-Leg Hip External Rotation ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Standing Band Straight-Leg Hip Internal Rotation ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Surprised at how weak I am on this. Hope it helps my alignment!

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Changed my mental checklist again, this time:

"connect, have fun, do your best, loving-kindness, compassion"

Super friendly, even to a guy who has kinda scowled at me for years. Ended up having a good time talking to him and cheering for his waves.

Ripped on my horizontal turns, but struggled with sections where I was trying for vertical ones. Adding in pumping for speed has dramatically improved my horizontal turns, but I need to learn how to integrate the pumping motion with the necessary deep bottom turn to pull off vertical maneuvers.

Studied one of my favorite pros and he, of course, does it differently. With pumping you quickly go part-way down the wave, then part-way up, and this increases your speed.

I was trying to begin my vertical turn at the part-way down part - which works great for horizontal turns! But for a vertical one, as you just start to come up from the part-way down section, you immediately go deeper into a kinda second-tier bottom turn and the former bottom is now the top. Launching your vertical turn from this lower section is how you pull it off.

Anyways, yes very technical, but I gotta try and integrate this stuff.

----

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:20 pm

Monday, June 22nd: Meditation

I love the soft sizzling of the wave's foam making it's way towards shore.