Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:31 pm

"If the mind is silent, it is completely uninfluenced by anything and yet it is part of everything. The individual is then one with everything and there is the state of no-self." - from the Cai Gen Tan

Tuesday, June 23rd: Surfing

Windy, messy, but still some waves. Went out with my buddy Rob, he went in and Grace came out right after. No more than two people out at any one time.

Managed a few fun rides and sections.

The speed pumping I've been doing changes the surf experience. I'm getting a feel for the sections I can't build speed on, and just standing there until they pass, then gaining speed again. And the extra power is helping my turns and keeping me connected to the pocket....meaning I can surf a smaller wave for longer. Quads were actually a bit tired. Even though I didn't get a lot of waves, I was generating speed a lot of my standing time.
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:23 pm

Wednesday, June 24th: Meditation and Upper Body Push

Outside Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

----

Tight core, shoulder blades moving smoothly down and back, drive elbows into floor on pushdowns.

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side ~50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Lateral Push-Up x 20, 16, 12, 10
and
Band Twist ~70lbs x 15 each x 4 sets

Standing Band Shoulder Press ~20lbs x 11, 11, 8 (preferred the bands on the inside of the arms), 7
and
Sahrmann Level 2 x 15 each x 4 sets

Band Pushdowns ~30lbs x 20, 18; ~20lbs x 15, 11
and
Power Band Shrugs - Black x 20, 20, 14, 12

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets (but less tension on L side)

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Chest - Bent Arm, Biceps, Chest - Straight Arm, Triceps, Glutes, Triangle

note: this sounds like a small detail, but deciding to do the shrugs today (was intending to train neck) felt great! Good flow between them and triceps.

note 2: would try and surf, but me and some buddies are trying to beat "The Last of Us 2," so gonna head off for that instead. Fun game!
"If we just work hard without complaining, we can become one with Heaven and Earth." - Zen proverb

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:57 am

Well, a month later, Irongarmx has returned from the shadow realm.

I have one massive PR to report, the rest will just be quick details.

After a half-dozen years of trying, I finally managed to surf 8 hours in a day on July 5th. I had booked a trip to surf extremely good waves in Cabo, Mexico, on Independence Day weekend. But my personal training client's fears about Coronavirus - and their subsequent request that I quarantine for two weeks upon returning - nixed my desire to go.

I surfed four sessions that day, ate vegan for the fuck of it, wore 10 coats of zinc oxide (still not enough), and had a wonderful time! Met a bunch of cool people, too :)

Thursday, June 25th: Lower Body Stabilizers, Surfing, and Meditation
Friday, June 26th: Meditation
Saturday, June 27th: Surfing
Sunday, June 28th: Meditation, Upper Body Stabilizers, Surfing

Monday, June 29th: Surfing
Tuesday, June 30th: Surfing
Wednesday, July 1st: Meditation and Lower Body
Thursday, July 2nd: Surfing
Friday, July 3rd: Surfing
Saturday, Independence Day: Jogging. Meditation and Surfing
Sunday, July 5th: Surfing

Monday, July 6th: Meditation
Tuesday, July 7th: Surfing and Meditation
Wednesday, July 8th: Upper Body Pull
Thursday, July 9th: Meditation
Saturday, July 11th: Upper Body Push

Monday, July 13th: Meditation
Tuesday, July 14th: Meditation
Wednesday, July 15th: Lower Body
Saturday, July 18th: Full Body

Monday, July 20th: Running

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:36 pm

As I am wont to do, I have spent much of the last month slogging through a miserably high volume of weight training - that is when I can motivate myself to actually start one of the 2+ hour workouts.

Burned out since last Saturday, I took the last seven days to eat, play video games, and mull over the question:

"How can I do a shorter, yet still majestic-as-fuck, training program?"

*drum roll*

Saturday, July 25th: Upper Body Pull + Core, Swim + Run

Stretch + Warm-Up

Chin-Ups x 3 sets
and
Leg Raise w. Crunch x 3 sets

Pull-Ups x 3 sets
and
Power Band Side Bend x 3 sets

Band Row - Elbows In x 3 sets
and
Band Row - Elbows Up x 3 sets

Band Curls x 2 sets
Band Hammer Curls x 2 sets
Band Reverse Curls x 2 sets

Stretch

Notes: should have done a warm-up set or three of band-assisted pull-ups...on the last set of pull-ups I straightened my legs, pointed my toes, lifted them slightly (a tip I got from an Athlean-X video) - this worked better...after the first set of side bends, I doubled the band over (instead of running it long with a knot). This kept me more vertical and worked better...did the band rows concentrating on extremely smooth ROM, slowing down the end where I wanted to rush - challenging!

----

Skateboarded to the beach, and washed the board out on a few turns. Usually that's associated with me skipping ye old transverse abs, so:

Sahrmann Exercise Level 2/3 x 3 sets

Ocean Swim and Run Back: 37 minutes

Beautiful day! Warm water, tiny waves. Me and a buddy swam La Jolla Cove to La Jolla Shores, roughly a mile, then ran back barefoot through the mansions and along the cliffs to grab our belongings.

As I was skating home, I played with rolling my ankle in-and-out to help with turns. I've been working that motion at home with bands and it finally felt a bit fluid, allowing for better force transfer through the body = better turns, less joint stress.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:14 am

Saturday evening, me, a trainer homie, and my swim buddy and his girlfriend went to a surf video premiere held on the sand at the local beach. They had put up a huge screen and sound system and about 300-500 people showed up. Then announced an after party which my friends wanted to go to.

So I got super drunk with a bunch of mostly-20 year olds, swigging out of random bottles, talking to all sorts of people. Some hot twins asked if I was Tony Hawk. If you were wondering what I look like, well there you go. Definitely idiotic to be there in a pandemic.

Sunday was a hangover until about 430pm. The Panda Express 90 minutes after lunch definitely helped (Greens + Black Pepper Chicken + String Bean Chicken :heart: ), but I was hurting.

Monday, July 27th: Upper Body Push, Run

Pre-Stuff

Stretch x ~5 minutes

Band Internal Rotation ~50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Block #1 - 20 minutes

Push-Ups x 3 sets
and
Alt. Leg Raises w/ Crunch x 3 sets

Lateral Push-Ups x 3 sets
and
Knee Raise w/Crunch x 3 sets

Block #2 - 12.5 minutes

Power Band Side Bend - Black x 15 each x 3 sets
and
Band Front Raise ~10lbs x 3 sets (could really feel my core from all the abs)
and
Band Lateral Raise ~20lbs x 3 sets

Block #3 - 12.5-15 minutes

Band Pushdown ~20lbs x 3 sets
and
Band Skullcrusher ~40lbs x 3 sets
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1/2 x 3 sets

Post-Stuff

Band External Rotation ~10lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Cuban Press - Internal Rotation ~30lbs x 15-20 x 2 sets

Band Cuban Press - External Rotation ~10lbs x 15-20 x 2 sets

Stretch ~5 minutes

Notes: The workout, starting at Brick #1 and ending with the last set of rotator cuff, took 59 minutes. So maybe 70-75 minutes with warm-up and stretching. Felt good!

----

Running ~28 minutes (walked for ~2)

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:33 am

Tuesday, July 28th: Meditation

Meditation 15 minutes

----

I've been a bit testy lately and figured it was time to meditate.

But also, I think that testiness is a bit inspired by reading "Serpico." Frank Serpico, a New York cop profoundly disgusted with the corruption around him, gave up on being nice about it. Some cops at work fucked with him, threatening him with a knife, so he put a gun to one of their heads. Others he told to fuck off.

I luckily don't have anything like that going on, but I am sick and tired of the crazy shit in this country: the Idiotic conspiracies that are simultaneously dangerous for the entirety of America, the disaster that is Donald Trump, and my cousin - who I love - who's caught up in doing useless internet shit instead of a) getting a job or b) finding a therapist or c) doing an online class or d) anything that will help him out of the trap that he's in.

So I'm gonna take another social media/video game/news break. And actually I've been having fun with those things - interacting with cool people, learning things, sharing positive moments. But they just seem so fucking hollow compared to the other stuff I've done like reading, exercising, taking classes, listening to good music, etc.

Maybe it'll inspire my cousin to stop fucking up. I dunno.

bramwiley@hotmail.com if you need me, I think the DM's get sent to another e-mail account.