Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Working Out, Surfing and Meditating

Post by Bram » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:40 pm

Saturday, September 26th — Surfing

Drove down to check the waves this morning and found myself saying: “Please don’t be good, please don’t be good.” :happiness:

I’m happily, comfortably tired, but I don’t know if I could convince myself to sit out good waves. But they were just okay, and very crowded.

A couple more notes from yesterday:

* at one point, during my biggest wave, a surfer on the shoulder shouted “don’t back off!” as I launched myself over the edge. It gave me the extra bit of focus and drive needed to make it. When I paddled back out, he said he saw the hesitation in my eyes and didn’t want the wave wasted. In the past I’ve gotten angry, told myself to stay focused, or to never give up, and they’ve all helped with having this extra gear.

* the surfer who has consumed the most vitriol in this journal for his surf etiquette — who I’ve unleashed loud, expletive-laced tirades on, which then left me shaking with anger — was one of the people yesterday who did something that would normally piss me off. But I let it go and cheered for his wave. Today he drove by, we had a friendly chat, and he invited me to come surf with him down near the Mexico border. This is such a huge victory emotionally!

Surfing is three goals:

1. Take care of myself — mostly sunscreen, but also respecting my limits and the Ocean
2. Surf well
3. Good vibes in the water

Whatever else happens in my surfing [technical, physical, mental], I don’t want to backslide on any of these three.

——

Surfing 1 hour

Although quite tired, the texts from friends that the surf was good motivated me to head out for a quick sunset session.

I went to Hermos, an a-framing reef break in Bird Rock, and tried my luck.

My first wave, I got a small carve. My second wave, I got a few big carves. My third wave closed out, and then I took ~thirty waves in the face.

I noticed today that I was slightly in front of the pocket or power source. This caused me to use an excessive amount of self-generated torque vs. harnessing the power of the wave.

Sunday, September 27th — Meditation

Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

The local breaks looked dodgy, and I’m tired, so I sat underneath a surf hut and meditated.

It’s sad to see my mind filled with judgement and arrogance, but in the past, regular meditation makes these thoughts less “sticky.”

When I finished, I watched the surfers and noted how very subtle changes took them away from the power of the wave: too much weight on the tail; angling perpendicular from the the peak vs. angling parallel to it.

The worse the wave, the better you have to surf it.

Mantra today: feel, connect, be present, flow, style, aware, desire-less, gone

Some version of the above mantra seems necessary to give me the sensitivity and technique to surf well, and the ability to break free of my compulsion to flee the energy center of a breaking wave.
"When you seek it, you cannot find it.” — Zen riddle

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Tuesday, September 29th — Lower Body

Band Squats - Green and Purple x 20 x 2
And
2-Feet Up, 1-Foot Down Calf Raise x 15 ea. x 2

Bulgarian Split-Squat x 15 ea. x 2
And
Shin Raise x 20 x 2

Band Abduction - Red x 20 ea. x 2
And
Band Adduction - Red x 20 ea. x 2

Glute Bridge Walk-Out x 8 x 2
And
Slow Front Kicks x 20 ea. x 2

Band Good Morning - Green and Purple x 20, 15
And
Band TKE - Purple x 20 ea. x 2 sets

Yoga 15 minutes

Meditation 10 minutes

——

Big new swell hitting. Will try to go after last appointment later.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:48 pm

Is the gym you work at still closed Bram? And if so, how are your economics working out?
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 am

Fat Cat,

Thanks for checking in! The gym I trained at has re-opened at 10% capacity (and closed...and re-opened a few times), but I decided to go independent. The gym had been already experiencing major financial difficulties at the end of 2019, it seemed like the right choice.

Work’s good enough ~about 20 appointments the week at double the pay, so I’m cruising.

Assuming life on your end is okay?

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:28 am

Wednesday, September 30th — Upper Body

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Lats, Hip Flexors, Glutes, Abs, Chest, Triceps, Neck

2 sets of everything

Band Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side

Chin-Ups
And
Leg Raise w/ Band Crunch

Push-Ups
And
Band Side Bend w/ TVA Contraction

Ring Rows
And
Band Lateral Raises

Band Curls
And
Band Triceps Extensions

Band External Rotation - Elbow by Side

Repeat Stretches

——

Surfing 45 minutes

Perfect waves, thick crowd.

Got two nice big waves.

A guy who has yelled at me for poor surfing etiquette was out. We chatted a bit, then he went off to shout and curse at someone.

A friend who joined me, later sent me an angry text about the surfers in the water.

The progress cultivating better energy with other surfers is not to be discounted!

——

Surfing 2.5 hours

Very infrequent waves, thick crowd.

The few times I caught waves, I felt off-balance. I also paddled slow, missing an easy wave.

Challenging.

I think omitting the various movements negatively affected my performance: glute extension (bent and straight legged), reverse fly, transverse abs.

As frustrated as I am in having these sessions where I perform poorly, I also know that I’ve made a lot of progress overall and have had excellent surf performance...even within the past week.

It’s just the inconsistencies that suck. Surfing good one Tuesday and poorly the next Tuesday wears me down :(

——

Before bed I did the things I feel I left out:

Glute Bridge w/ Alt Leg Extensions x 15 ea. x 2 sets

Slow Back Kicks x 20 ea. x 2 sets

Sahrmann Level 2 x 15 ea. x 2 sets

Band Reverse Fly ~20lbs x 20, 14

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:07 pm

Thursday, October 1st — Surfing

Surfing 45 minutes

Surfed with a girl I met at a coffee shop a few weeks ago. Super nice, great attitude about life, and a karate instructor.

Went to a spot I know for having few people and it was packed, and the wrong tide. But got a few, inconsequential waves. My paddle speed felt way faster than yesterday.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:22 pm

Saturday, October 3rd — Surfing

Surfing 3.75 hours

A massive fog bank — you couldn’t see the shore initially — with fun, but infrequent waves, was on tap today.

After surfing for an hour or so, I noticed I still — this has been a years long issue — could not get myself to be next to the breaking part of the wave.

I asked myself why, and this little voice answered: “I’m scared.”

My only big injury from surfing happened from being in this position on the wave.

So I told myself: “Be brave.”

And I could do it! I was taking off vertically, and hugging the white water. I would fade my turns and wait for the wave to catch up, then from this place of max speed I would turn again.

But it unfortunately threw off the peaceful vibe that I’d been generating the past week or so. I became competitive and started inwardly fuming at other surfer’s behavior.

So, I need to find a way to keep that same good energy I had, while also acting bravely.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Indy 500 driver Lyn St. James said, "If you drive with courage, you'll hit the wall."

Instead of Be Brave, what about release fear or something? This touches on a concept I've been working with lately, which is: How do I attain a desired state with as few side effects and costs as possible? For example, I had and have a huge amount of social fear. I don't have a good fix for this, but getting amped on caffeine wasn't that great. Psyching myself up didn't work so well and also had negative consequences, like making me unable to recognize when the fear was because I was making a mistake. Where I'm going with this is, what about addressing the bugs in your source code while you try different patches? You may find that there's something else going on. Of course, we have to live life in the meantime, and do the best we can before we achieve Kolinahr. I guess my hypothesis is: it's better, if you can manage it, to not have the root cause of an undesired thought or behavior, since it consumes less compute power than running a flawed program and then running another script to correct the first one. I realize it's not always that easy, since we have to have a lot of cognition and knowledge to function in the world, and can't simply be open like a lotus flower all the time. But maybe shoot for the lowest energy fix, which may be one that's closer to the metal.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:52 am

MJS,

I had to google Kolinahr, which I now fucking love, but am not trying to obtain — though it’s a really close in a lot of ways.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kolinahr

The difference between a kind of zen tranquility and what I’m hunting for is I that I want to fully love life: have great friendships, do rad shit, cluck like a chicken or bray like a hyena, roll my eyes at how damn good a bowl of pasta is....but I recognize that I’ve got some shit holding me back from going full-human.

And you are totally right on the money about the faulty programming sucking life out of us.

As to your situation, I’m almost pathologically outgoing and friendly. Things like dressing in a way you like, grooming yourself, eating healthy, and exercising all boost confidence. Listening, asking good questions, making people laugh, and sharing even the smallest of kind acts also help.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:07 am

Sunday, October 4th — Surfing, Working Out, Skateboarding

Surfing 1.5 hours

Got some fun waves...my brave mantra had the same result: more critical surfing, horrible mindset.

The only surprising part was telling myself “be brave” cancelled out my need for an extra technique focal point like “style,” “excellent,” or “do your best.” My technique was finally automated.

——

Band Athletic Stance Squats - Green and Purple x 20 x 2
And

BB Front Rack Reverse Lunge 75lbs x 10 ea. x 2
And
Shin Raise x 20 x 2

Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extension x 15 ea. x 2
And
Slow Back Kick x 20 ea. x 2

DB Wide Stance Squats 15’s x 20 x 2
And
Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 ea. x 2

Glute Bridge Ham Curls x 12 x 2
And

Band Good Morning - Green and Purple x 20, 15
And

Stretch Calves, Shins, Hip Flexors, Quads, Adductors, Glutes, Hamstrings

——

Skateboarding and Hiking 1.5 hours

Hung out with that martial arts girl and did a semi-tour of downtown San Diego’s famous bridges. We got through four, then explored Maple Canyon and had a tasty snack.

——

Surfing 1 hour

Curious, I reverted back to my prior surf mantra (the good vibe one) and surfed okay, but so afraid of that breaking part of the wave!

So I modified it (feel, connect, have fun, do your best, be brave, let go) and did my best bottom turn of the year on a big wave! Dropped straight down by the white water, out into the flats, tapped my back palm to the face, and right into a big pocket turn! This is a quest that has stymied me for years!!!

But still salty af with my attitude — will tinker more.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:16 pm

MJS,

I didn’t answer your comments on bravery.

This is a subject I don’t take lightly! Like your Indy driver quote, untempered courage is a risky proposition.

I hope that in combination with a few other specific thoughts — with maybe “love, feel, connect” being the most important — telling myself to be brave will nudge me towards being my best.

But, in the past, my fear has done a good job in shielding me from taking dumb risks. And sometimes it’s shielded me from taking smart risks.

My greatest failure as a human was watching five guys beat the hell out of a fraternity brother. Me and the crowd watched as they kicked him in the face, and punched him, while he was totally helpless.

I don’t know what I should have done — shield him, scream at them, fight them. But I did nothing, and that wasn’t the solution.

If I can apply it when it’s needed, life will be better. But it has to be thoughtful.

Thanks for your comments!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:31 am

Monday, October 5th — Surfing and Meditation

The Hurricane Marie swell, forecasted to arrive last night, still wasn’t showing that strongly in San Diego this morning, so:

Outdoor Meditation 15 minutes + Connect to Nature 5 minutes

Surfing 2.25 hours

Around lunch, the swell filled in, and not a soul in the line-up. Got maybe 50 waves, maybe best session of the year.

Today’s mantra: feel, connect, funny, fun, love, brave, relax

Eventually people showed up and my thinking was still toxic, and my bottom turns could have been deeper. More mantra tinkering ahead. Still stoked! Fun fun fun

——

My new upper body template left my shoulders overly wiped out, one client complained of shoulder pain after it, and another said it lacked abs.

Tinker tinker

EDIT: Looked at journal from a few weeks ago when I was paddling like a demon...upper body was either a) chest, rows, bi’s, tri’s, rear delts, r cuff....or b) chest, rows, pull-ups, shoulders, rear delts, r cuff....last week was c) chest, rows, pull-ups, shoulders, bi’s, tri’s, rear delts, r cuff....I’ll ditch the arm work, or chins/shoulders, depending on feel and add two more ab exercises

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:53 am

Tuesday, October 6th — Surfing

Surfing 2.25 hours

Another crazy session with ~50 waves. Thanks Ocean!!

——

Read “Zen in the Art of Archery” by Eugen Herrigal today. In this fantastic, very short book, he describes his journey in attaining Zen mind.

First, the breath is mastered, that allows the body to draw the arrow correctly.

Second, the ego is mastered, so that thoughts of the target and hitting it disappear. When the mind ceases to think of shooting, and the arrow releases on its own accord, then Zen-mind has been achieved.

Third, even after this, it must be accepted that “all right doing is accomplished only in a state of true selflessness, in which the doer cannot be present any longer as ‘himself.’ Only the spirit is present....” Meaning it is not the shooter who deserves credit, but the forces beyond that the shooter has connected with.

——

Thought about these things today while surfing.

Managed to add the word “alert” (a word repeated often in the book) and found it allowed me to finish a wave properly — requiring a rapid fire stance change that launches the board to your chest, as you crest the back of the wave, allowing for your wave momentum to transition directly into your paddle momentum — a skill I’ve been unable to connect with in 20 years of surfing.

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:38 pm

I meant Kolinahr metaphorically, as a placeholder term for "the state of mind you want".

My social example was an ill--chosen one it seems. I just meant that the cure can be worse than the disease. I don't know why you listed the things you did re social fear, it's the same list everyone gives. This is your journal not mine so I won't make it about me, but when I tried to be outgoing and friendly, OMG. Just all the no. Everyone I've ever discussed this with, OL or meatspace, has told me I must be lying, that if you have good energy good things will happen. That is not true for everyone.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Gotcha on Kolinahr and your life v mine.

I was a pretty awkward kid, no friends for a while, super introverted, bullied. A lot of anger about losing my mom to cancer when I was a kid didn’t help.

Those things are what helped me — even though it was a long process (years) of slowly stringing them together.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts, I could be a lot better about just listening — without offering advice when it wasn’t asked for.

And sorry you got the social stuff, us humans are tricky creatures.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:19 pm

And to address the point about the cure being worse than the disease:

You’re absolutely right.

The reason I’ve had so many permutations of what-to-think-about, is that some of the things I chose to focus on were disastrous.

Telling myself “no expectations” was scuttled after, in the heat of a long downhill skateboard ride, I no expectations-ed myself into a steep, narrow, twisting section and fell.

Surfing serves as a nice testing ground for all this, with getting better (for me) resisted by a very challenging mix of social, physical, and mental obstructions.

“Better not to start, but once started — better finish.”

motherjuggs&speed
Gunny

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:19 pm

It's good to be able to test things. To isolate the variable and see what happens. I once tried testing out different philosophical notions by the effect they had on my juggling. It was not always what I would have thought. It's also highly individual. My IPS for most things involves way more tension than "they" say to have. But I am really not that well put together and just Do It for me often has equalled just make an epic disaster. I know I looked really tense when riding trails, or skateboarding, but I had to do what worked for me. Including a ton of cues.

The baffling thing to me, which may or may not apply for you, if how counterintuitive some framings are in their effect. I can't make sense of why some defaults/come froms work and which don't.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:00 am

Yeah, agreed.

Telling myself “relax,” might actually make me more stressed out.

But telling myself “relax, don’t hurry,” makes me super relaxed.

Haha, extremely confusing!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:09 am

Wednesday, October 7th — Upper Body

1 minute rest between sets

Band Internal Rotation: Elbow by Side ~50lbs x 20 ea. x 2

Bodyweight Rows x 20, 16

Push-Ups x 20, 12

Band Curls ~40lbs x 20 x 2

Band Pushdowns ~50lbs x 20, 16

Band Side Bends: Red + Yellow x 15 ea. x 2

Band Anti-Rotation Hold ~40lbs x 1 min ea. x 2

Alt. Leg Raises x 15 ea. x 2

Band Crunch ~30lbs x 15-20 x 2

Band Reverse Fly ~10lbs x 15-20 x 2

Band External Rotation: Elbow by Side ~10lbs x 15-20 ea. x 2 sets

Sahrmann Level 1 x 15 ea. x 2

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Biceps, Lats, Hip Flexors, Abs, Chest, Triceps, Glutes

Note: have decided that the glute bridge and glute extension work, and the extra ab and oblique exercise, are all overkill on my lower back. Will just cut them (not replace them).

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:46 pm

Bram wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:58 am
Fat Cat,

Thanks for checking in! The gym I trained at has re-opened at 10% capacity (and closed...and re-opened a few times), but I decided to go independent. The gym had been already experiencing major financial difficulties at the end of 2019, it seemed like the right choice.

Work’s good enough ~about 20 appointments the week at double the pay, so I’m cruising.

Assuming life on your end is okay?
Sorry dude, I missed this when you posted it. That's cool that you transitioned to independent work, do you have a studio? Or where do you hold your training sessions? Life here is fine, I'm fortunate that I'm still working, but half the state isn't, and soon enough it will affect us all. Luckily, the beach is always there and always free :). We will just revert to OG Hawaiian life stacking coconuts.

Anyway, to keep this training related, I'm going to try your arms suggestion: three exercises (BB curl, DB hammer curl, and rev. curl) for three sets each, twice a week and see how it goes.
"You can’t talk with communists, you have to kill them." -Józef Mackiewicz

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:33 pm

Fatty,

I have access to a studio, though have only used it for one session so far (a client wanted to do heavy squats). It’s been backyards and parks for meet-ups — I’ve luckily found some beautiful, quiet spaces to utilize.

Glad you’re still working! I know Hawaii, so dependent on tourism, has been hit harder than most. Wishing your fellow Hawaiians good luck, hope to make it there this winter and contribute a little to the local economy.

That biceps sequence is by far my favorite, enjoy!

If you’re curious about some triceps combos I like, please let me know.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:38 pm

Thursday, October 8th — Lower Body

Band Athletic Stance Squats - Green + Purple x 20, Green + Purple + Red + Yellow x 20
And

DB Reverse Lunge 15’s x 15 ea. x 2
And
Shin Raise x 20 x 2 (did these with ankles and that bump below the big toes touching, much more effective)

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 ea. x 2
And
Band Standing 1-Leg Adduction - Red x 20 ea. x 2

Glute Ham Raise x 6 x 2
And

Band Good Morning - Green + Purple x 10, Green x 10
And

Yoga 15 minutes

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:03 pm

Saturday — 10.10.2020

Surfing 2 hours

Fuck yeah.

Little funky waves, but some good ones randomly shuffled in.

Surfing felt xoxo

Mantra: feel, connect, flow, love, brave, alert

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:22 pm

Sunday, October 11th — Surfing

Surfing 3 hours

Another magical day with tons of waves and harmony with them.

Although there was only a handful of people out, with waves for all, I saw two angry tirades against other surfers.

My quest for a “right” mindset isn’t over until I can navigate calmly being in the presence of that negativity.

Notes: In the past month I’ve found a mental checklist for great positive energy while surfing, for great surfing (except the finish), and able to finish a wave correctly (but okay surfing before that). Fascinating! Some synthesis — dropping that, adding this, will hopefully allow all three to happen.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:04 am

Monday, October 12th — Upper Body

Band Internal Rotation — Elbow by Side ~50lbs x 20 ea. x 2 sets

Chin-Ups x 10, 8
And
Power Band Side Bends — Red + Yellow x 15, Purple x 15

Leg Raise + Crunch x 20, 15
And
Push-Ups x 20 x 2

Sahrmann Exercise Level 2 x 15 ea. x 2
And
Bodyweight Row x 15 x 2

Band Shoulder Press ~10lbs x 20, 18
And
Band Reverse Fly ~10lbs x 20 x 2

Band External Rotation — Elbow by Side ~50lbs x 20 ea. x 2 sets

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Hip Flexors, Lats, Abs, Chest — Bent, Chest — Straight, Biceps, Triceps, Glutes ABC

NOTES: I put so much emphasis on my mental checklist, and such hope that I have it all figured out each time I change it, but I’m going to try to accept that each tweak might make me susceptible to being needy, an asshole, over-spending money, etc. And to be wary of these pitfalls I am continuing to dive into.