IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:19 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday the 13th, of July

Impermanence Meditation 30 minutes

Breathe, relax, posture, repeat "impermanence" after each exhale.

Surf finally looks not great, which is appreciated because my body wants a break.

Finally got 8.5 hours bedtime last night and got in a 30 minute nap on my lunch break today.

----

Watched an interview with Stephanie Gilmore, a 6x World champ in surfing. Yesterday, she won a contest in South Africa and reclaimed the number 1 spot in the World.

When asked if she had advice for young surfers, she had this to say:

"Just smile a lot, seems to work. Hahaha. Don't under estimate yourself. Never feel like you know everything. There's always something to learn. Be open to learning and growing. You can win 20 World titles and still not be the best surfer in the World. There's always something to learn and improve upon. Most importantly, have fun, cause this is a hell of a life."

Here's a video of her:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, July 14th

Main Workout

BB Bench 135lbs x 8, 8, 8, 6
and
BB Incline Bench Rows [squeeze shoulders together at top] 75lbs x 12, 9; 65lbs x 9, 9

Step-Down's x 5 blocks x 15 each, x 6 blocks] x 8 each x 3 sets
and
Plank [flex abs and contract TVA] x 40, 40, 40, 30 seconds

45 Degree Lower Back Extensions [flex glutes] +25lbs x 15, 15, 15, 8

Accessories

DB Lateral Raise 12.5lbs x 15 x 2 sets

DB Calf Raise 30lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
DB Shin Raise +35lbs x 20, 15

Stabilizers

*Band Terminal Knee Extensions - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

*Cable Reverse Fly [neutral shoulders] 55lbs x 20, 18
and
*Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15

DB External Rotation - Arm Wrestler's 5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

*Done at very beginning of workout

Stretching 15 minutes

Notes: for some reason I forgot to stretch my triceps until the very end of the workout. Doing low back extensions with a flat back then initiating the upward motion by contracting the ass seems very effective. Flexing the abs or the ass, not even sure, on the glute bridge felt good too. The ab contractions are just brutal on my stomach. I've been eating very clean, but probably a bit too low in calories. Right now I'm having a delicious hunk of ahi my friend caught, with some brown rice and almonds (added some honey too because I want sugar).

----

Surfing 1.25 hours

A bit windy, but lots of fun. Only wave I fucked up was when I thought about doing a deeper bottom turn and immediately buried my nose or rail. But still not doing very deep bottom turns (except that session a couple days ago). Got a bit annoyed with the crowd even though I got a good amount of waves. So bottom turns and being annoyed are what to improve on.

Very happy it's 1245 and I've already surfed and worked out. Hope to get some good shit done on the rest of my day off.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Ran errands for a few hours then waited for the day to cool off a bit. Took my fish, got tons of waves. Most people were sitting on the outside peak, so I had the inside almost completely to myself. Haven't surfed it in a while and forgot that it's a bit slower to turn this board. Still with the bottom turns not that deep. It's like I feel rushed to get to the next section, but the other day I was just stretching them out and feeling this different harmony.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, July 15th

Surfing 1 hour

Lots of fun little waves. Got one very good wave where I timed two bottom turns in a row perfectly. The first turn I felt I had to because the section was building and, if I rushed it, I would slide off before the wave peaked. As I came out of my first turn, I right into my next bottom turn, but I could see that if I delayed it I might let a peak form (there was a wave within the wave and I waited until it passed through) . Definitely felt great to surf like that.

Beautiful glowing crescent moon amongst orange clouds from the setting sun floating high above a gun-metal grey fog bank.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:00 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, July 16th

Surfing 1.5 hours

My friend Rob is visiting from New Jersey. I took him and my neighbor Frank to one of my favorite secret spots. There was already 15 or so people in the water, but luckily about half the crowd quickly went in within 20 minutes. Glassy waves, and clear, warm water. Got about 10 fun waves in the infrequent conditions, a couple of good ones in particular where I put it on the rail, or got a bunch of turns, or had a nice flow.

Still struggling with the deep bottom turn when I need it. The problem seems consistently to be a desire to go horizontally down the wave as fast as possible as opposed to being unafraid I'll lose the wave and surfing vertically to the bottom.

Most times when I go into a bottom turn, instead of drawing it out, allowing for the wave to catch up to me and beginning my upward arc from the fastest part of the wave...I rush it and do a mid-face turn quite a ways in front of the pocket.

When I've done it well, I stretch it out, put the board on rail and rebound out of a place with a lot of speed. When poorly, I barely lean over and act like I'm petting a medium dog with disinterest.

A list of mental cues to do a better bottom turn and the effect:

Desire-less, Gone = deep bottom turns and horrible foot placement

Do a deep bottom turn = clumsy surfing

Do your best = clumsy surfing

Take your time = slightly better, but very little attention to other surfers and almost hit someone

No wanting = slightly better bottom turns, but maybe clumsy surfing?

Patient = no effect

Relax = no effect

No rush = clumsy surfing

Look = clumsy surfing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:27 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, July 18th

Got some bad news yesterday. The most pissed and frustrated I've been in a long time. Which I carried with me the rest of yesterday and this morning. At lunch I talked to the other party in person, expressed my point and left feeling much better. My negative emotions were there a bit, so I figured I'd give the following meditation a try.

Meditation [forgiveness...each time something negative or judgemental came up, repeat "forgiveness"] 5 minutes + Compassion Meditation

After I felt quite good: smiling, joking, etc.

----

Had to return to the situation again later in the day. I was told to wait for an extended period of time and noticed myself getting angry. I tried to calm myself down, but all of a sudden I could feel my blood pounding in my ears and my breath catching. I knew if I had to deal with anything in this state I was not going to handle it at my best, so I focused on getting the blood pounding feeling to calm down. I was able to get it to go away and all of a sudden I felt sad for the other party. Ended up dealing with them eventually with zero anger. Very cool!

Thursday, July 19th

Meditation 8 minutes [when you notice a thought, link it to the physical e.g., anxiety equals tightness in the chest] + Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:04 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, July 21st

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Band Reverse Fly - Red x 20, Purple x 20
and
Band Standing 1-Leg Adduction - Red Heavy x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Slow Side Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 65's x 12, 8; 60's x 8, 7
and
Seated Cable Row w/ Adduction at End 35lbs x 20, 18, 15, 18

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 15 x 2 sets
and
Straight Arm-Pulldown 35lbs x 15, 12

Hanging Knee Raise w/ Abs Flexed and TVA Contracted x 8, 8, 5, 4
and
Plank w/ Abs Flexed and TVA Contracted x 40, 30, 30, 30 seconds

1-Leg Squat from Box [5 blocks + step] x 12 each x 4 sets (focused on keeping lumbar spine flat, tough on L)

1-Leg Deadlift's 30lbs x 10 each x 4 sets

Lying Leg Curl 70lbs x 12, 9, 7
and
1-Leg Leg Extension 20lbs x 15, 12, 12

Seated Cable Internal Rotation 30lbs x 20, 15

----

44 sets, oof. Took about 2hrs 10 mins. Had to complete the last 8 sets after a 2 hour break of training people. Would have stretched, but I cooled down so much I felt disinterested after doing that handful of sets at the end.

Had two nice things happen while training people today. The first person works with another trainer, when he travels I follow their routine and walk her through it. She had some wrist pain the last time we met and I noticed that she didn't have good wrist alignment - so we had worked on that about 6-7 weeks ago. Well she had kept it up and the wrist pain had disappeared. The second thing was a new woman I was working with told me she had wrist pain when doing push-ups. I used a trigger point massage spot in her forearms that sometimes provides relief and the pain totally disappeared.

----

Surfing 30-45 minutes

Was supposed to meet a friend, but they got stuck in traffic, so I took advantage of the delay to get a quick beach trip in. It looked fun down the beach at a couple spots, but I didn't have time to go anywhere else so I paddled out in choppy, kelp rich and non-enticing surf.

First wave I had a ton of kelp on my surfboard leash and caught it on my belly because I was a bit deep (the wave was breaking oddly out of normal position), but I could see that there was potential. Caught another wave or two and paddled into my last wave of the day.

Got a quick turn on the first section as it looked like it was flattening out and then the wave turned into a beauty. Got some fun turns into the beach. My surfing felt on point! It's hard to remember the particulars (pushed down hard on my back foot and felt the rail engage, came out of the turn and had a great section in front of me), but the board felt like magic. On my fish style board.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:03 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, July 22nd

There's a large South swell coming in from New Zealand and everyone seems to be excited about it. The trend for today is to grow in size and that continues until Wednesday when it peaks out.

Surfing 3 hours

Got tons of waves, fell in and out of rhythm, surfed very good on a number of them. Struggled most of the time with the deep bottom turns, but everything else felt good! Well, besides not being quick enough with applying sunscreen (3 coats, but should have been 4). When I would fall out of rhythm I would generally catch myself thinking about a deeper bottom turn, but if I focused on my body positioning it would kind of over-ride the mental distraction. Fun size, about 3 foot with occasional 4-5 foot sets, I got maybe one 4 footer (great wave), but was a bit off on my harmony on that one.

Surfing 45 minutes

Wasn't sure where to go, but even though it looked good at the spot I surfed earlier, I ran into someone and they gave me a ride to another break. That wave was a shifty, weird and occasionally fun mess. I've told myself this before, but "don't turn away from good waves." Should have just stuck where it looked fun and not opted for better.

Got up three times or so, but only got one good wave. Almost got barreled on the take-off (need to look up technique on stalling), then came to a section where it looked iffy to go for a snap (a short, more vertical turn), went for it, made it and continued to the next section where it got more sketchy looking and so I kicked out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, July 23rd

Meditation 10 minutes [breathing deep and being aware: thoughts, a breeze, sound, etc.] + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 1.5 hours

The swell that started yesterday filled in quite a bit. Earlier in the day the sun felt deadly, but 6ft glassy waves were just rolling in one after another. I had a full-day of work, emails, phone calls, etc., but had an opportunity to head out tonight around 6pm with nothing on my ledger.

I got to the beach and the waves looked big, but fun, if not a bit choppy and I made some nonchalant comment to a surfer I know about it being big and lumpy. I noticed a surfer seeming to struggle as he came in near the stairs and didn't think too much of it. I went out and although I got into a couple small, short rides, I wasn't having much luck.

I began over-thinking things, getting frustrated and the next thing I know I am convincing myself I shouldn't paddle for the shoulder of an outside set (which is my standard practice and basically gets you as far from the power source of the wave). I take a pretty good shellacking by an oncoming set, start panicking, and then get another couple on the head. At one point I was so uncomfortable I kicked hard into the reef trying to push off the bottom and scraped my foot up. It felt shitty, but was extremely minor.

I got out of harm's way, thankfully, and continued trying to get into something fun. The sun set and it grew darker and finally I decided to head in. Well, the next thing I know, the beach that I wanted to go in at has a strong rip and is sucking me in the wrong direction. So I paddle for a while and break free of the rip, but the sets are coming in hard and close to the beach. It looks like a really dangerous situation. A surfer who I had trying to catch waves with jumps in and paddles out on his board. He asks if I'm okay and I ask him for any suggestions. We try to go in, but it looks very dangerous and he says we should paddle down the beach to look for sand. The waves are still quite big and strong and unruly and foreign. Finally we get to a spot that he says looks okay and he says to just go for it. So I paddle and kick and hope that my feet are gonna touch ground and they do. We hit the sand and the lifeguards have been called because somebody saw me stuck out there. Four or so lifeguard's run up and grab my board, give me a hand and tell us to to get out quick.

We get back on shore and thank goodness. If the guy, T, hadn't have jumped in...I'm not sure what I would have done or if I would have got super injured. I didn't have a good plan to get out of the water tonight, I didn't even think it was a big deal getting in...

The past few days I've noticed I've had a bit of an ego - some good surf sessions and a couple other things had
me feeling like my shit doesn't stink.

Along with arrogance, panic and over-thinking, the biggest X factor today was the super high tide combined with a very powerful swell. I don't want to surf any of my local breaks on a mega-tide, mega-swell combination again. I've gotten into trouble before in a similar situation locally: lots of energy and high-tide does weird stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:14 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, July 24th

Did no exercising or meditation today.

----

Had a busy day, with a shortish break where I didn't feel like being out in the hell sun, though I checked the surf and it was big still.

At a little past sunset I went down to where I was trying to surf yesterday. I stood there for a bit, the waves had diminished in the evening and I looked at where I had intended to come in. It wasn't as dangerous looking, but it didn't look welcoming either. Part of me didn't want to walk towards where I did come in, but I did anyways. At each little spit of sand, I looked at the house in front of it to attempt to remember where a potential way in would be. I finally got down to where I came in and started to feel physically ill. It looked extremely sketchy, not that the waves were pounding the beach that hard, but it just looked like a hard entry.

Earlier today and after I got in okay, I didn't feel all that rattled. I think I was telling myself "don't panic" over and over, and so I did stay pretty calm. But tonight, looking at the sketchy coastline and imagining the potential of what could have happened (slammed into rocks, drug around, spiked into stuff, more) it did not feel positive.

I got super lucky last night with lifeguards ready to assist, a bystander who called the lifeguards, a surfer who put himself into danger to help me, the sand where I came in last night was gone tonight....

I feel nauseous.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:00 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, July 25th

Surfing 45-60 minutes

Decided to go to a more beginner spot today. As I got near the water I started to feel lightly sick from my experience a couple days ago, but the waves were fairly mellow and I got out to the line-up okay. As the first set approached, I began feeling nauseous and anxious, but I just focused on my standard surf mantra "feel, connect, be present, flow, style" and felt good. Ending up catching 6-7 waves and having a lot of fun.

I have a landmark I line-up with at this spot, a fence between two houses and then kinda guess how far from shore to sit. I didn't catch anything the first 15 minutes, but I was down the beach 100 meters or so from the landmark. Once I got lined up, I had a lot of luck.

----

Body Scan Meditation + Triangle Breathing Meditation + Compassion Meditation

Triangle breathing (breath in for X, hold for X, exhale for X) I actually found a bit distracting, next time I'll shoot for box breathing (in X, hold X, out X, hold X). But at the end I dropped the count and all thoughts and just let myself breathe only and enjoyed that part.

----

Surfing 20-30 minutes

Went back to the break I was in trouble at on Monday night, the swell was smaller, but the waves were beautiful and the tide was still high and dangerous. I noticed that all the people were getting in South of where I tried to land last time and decided that I would return in that route. Stayed very wide of the peak and a bit closer to shore. After riding very uncoordinatedly on a few small waves, got a fun one that no one else went for and felt I surfed well (got some fun turns). I took that wave as far as I could possibly go towards the landing spot, ran up the beach and felt very thankful.

----

Went to see a movie later on, well after sunset, and walked down by the beach after. As I got there, I didn't want to be on the side of the street closest to the Ocean. When I crossed to the water side, I started panicking again. Stuck it out for a while but it was this nauseous sensation right around my solar plexus.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:15 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, July 26th

Meditation [breathe, relax, posture, "love" on out breath] 9 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Surfing 45 minutes

Felt totally fine today, but the waves were very small and crumbly. Still had fun though. Maybe a bit too nonchalant about ducking under them, got slapped in the face a couple times. Oh, and it was beautifully warm, 75 degree water? Almost unheard of in San Diego.

----

Surfing 1 hour, 45 minutes

Was gonna go to my old favorite secret spot, but the secret is out and 15+ people were there. So I drove down the beach and went to my new favorite secret spot.

There were a couple bodyboarders in the water and right off the bat I had this wonderful harmony with the Ocean, catching lots of waves and feeling like I was surfing well. They went in and I surfed alone, then a couple girls came and eventually they went in, and then a couple friendly locals I know showed up.

I had such good surfing tonight (only screwed up when I strayed from my mantra of "feel, connect, be present, flow, style"), got an absurd amount of waves and just had this sense of joy and appreciation.

I noticed that when I looked at the base of the wave as I took off I seemed to surf better, but only did this 2-3 times tonight. The water was wonderfully warm again, 75?

----

Visited the Ocean tonight with a couple friends to check on my nausea sensations. There was a bit of light-moderate anxiety, though it was reduced. Hoping that this whole experience is going to be a very good thing for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, July 27th

Haven't done anything today. A little sunburn on my shoulders from surfing in shorts yesterday, body a bit sore (and very lean from eating lots of veggies, good fats, protein and complex carbs, a bit of fruit and protein bars too...plus a drink or two every day).

Not me! Women surfers, photographed by Kelly Cestari:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:29 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, July 28th - Upper Body and Core

Decided to re-work my program again. Full-body only has seemed to work well to provide me with a feeling of unity while surfing. Unfortunately, to check all the boxes, the workouts have become longer than I would like.

——

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow Adducted x 20 x 2 sets

Bent-Over Reverse Fly’s 5’s x ? x 2 sets

DB Bench 60’s x 13, 10, 12, 9
And
Chin-Ups x 5, 4, 3, 3

Decline Alt. Leg Raises (with Ab + TVA contraction) x 6, 5, 4, 3 each
And
Plate Side-Bends 45lbs (with TVA contraction) 45lbs x 15, 15, 15, 13 each

Seated Cable Row 35lbs x 14-20 x 4 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow Abducted x 15, 8

Stretch Upper Body and Core

Notes: been contracting my scapulae at end of each row, but think that is excessive. Neutral should be fine. Kept shoulders neutral for chin-ups and it felt perfect. Didn’t contract abs during obliques and maybe it was better, maybe it wasn’t.

Last edited by Bram on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:37 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, July 29th - Lower Body

Stretch Upper Body

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets
And
Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extensions x 15 each x 2 sets

BB Squats - Athletic Stance [8 blocks + step] 135lbs x 10, 10, 8, 4
And
DB Calf Raise 30lbs x 20, 20, 20, 18

DB Walking Lunge 25’s x 15, 30’s x 15 each x 3 sets
And
DB Decline Bench Shin Raise 30lbs x 20, 35lbs x 20, 20, 15

Glute-Ham Raise x 12, 10, 8, 6

BB Deadlift [neutral shoulders] 95lbs x 10 x 4 sets

Stretch Lower Body

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:58 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, July 30th - Upper Body and Core

DB Bent-Over Reverse Fly’s 5’s x 20, 14

DB Incline Bench 60’s x 12, 8, 10, 8
And
BB Incline Bench Row 95lbs x 15, 12, 10, 8

Seated Cable Row 50lbs x 12, 8; 42.5lbs x 10, 8

DB Lateral Raise 10’s x 15 x 2 sets
And
DB Hammer Curls 25’s x 10, 8

Pushdown’s 42.5lbs x 15, 50lbs x 10

Decline Sit-Ups (with Ab and TVA contraction) x 8, 6, 5, 3
And
Cable Twist (with Glute and TVA contraction) 17.5lbs x 15, 15, 15, 12 each

DB Side Lying External Rotation 10lbs x 11, 5lbs x 13

DB Standing External Rotation 5lbs x 15 x 2 sets

Notes: I think the Upper Body portion went perfect. Although I was nearly the same on Bench, incline Bench is slightly more difficult for me. Doubling up on rows as I planned (one day chins and rows, one day two row variations), seemed to work quite well. And a few sets of accessory Upper body exercises as well. Kept shoulders neutral on rows which also seemed like an improvement. Next time I will try glutes, abs and TVA contracted on obliques, and add an additional ab exercise. Lastly, it’s been about 10 years since I last noticed this, but I could feel my glutes and hamstrings contracting on the bench to give me greater assistance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, July 31st

Meditation 15 minutes + Nature Time 10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Tried using my surf mantra during my meditation today, seemed to work pretty well. I’ve finally been getting enough sleep after around 3 weeks of too little. In the past, the first change I’ve noticed from more sleep is an increased desire, and ability to focus, for meditation.

Additionally, ever since Trump has been elected, my difficult person for each compassion meditation has almost always been him. But after 3-4 days of zero news intake, he didn’t come to mind today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wrote up a very detailed workout, but whatever bugs are plaguing this website not only destroyed my notes, but prevented me from going back a page to copy and paste them.

Wednesday, August 1st

Meditation and short hike at Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park

Thursday, August 2nd

3 hour hike in the Hoh Rain Forest along the Hoh River Trail. Gorgeous!

Friday, August 3rd

Short hike/walk in the Hoh Rain Forest through the Hall of Mosses trail.

Sunday, August 5th - Upper Body and Core

Did a very good upper body and ab workout. In the evening surfed warm water (the warmest in San Diego recorded history) and incredibly fun waves

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:52 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, August 6th - Lower Body

Had a nice flow today: lunges and seated calves, hamstring curls and leg extensions. Nice when you're resting one group while the other works. Kept the pace fun and sweat-inducing.

Meditation

Surfing - tired.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, August 7th

The surf looked pretty lackluster, but it was such a beautiful day and so me and Rob went to a local spot with our boards. Ended up having a ton of fun on little cruiser waves. I brought a perfect board for it - a little longer - and just mostly squatted down and let the waves pull me towards shore. The water was not just warm, but very clear and I could watch orange Garibaldi swimming underneath while I waited for sets and the eel grass along the reef as I took waves towards shore.

Wore tons of sunscreen, had a 6-minute gap where I caught a fun wave, felt I needed more sunscreen but fell into my common trap of telling myself "just one more wave." I didn't wait too long though and think I survived today's heavy heat fairly unscathed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:45 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, August 8th

Surfing 1.75 hours

Went to the same spot as yesterday, got in the water around 730am. Waves on waves, about 2 foot high, brought the right board for the day. Rob is flying back to Jersey tomorrow so it was fun to see him catch a bunch. At the end it was just me and him trading waves, with a cute girl paddling out a few minutes before we called it a day. Hammered the sunscreen.

Meditation + Compassion Meditation

Taught a class at a retirement home and the people were so sweet and kind. Very happy to be going there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, August 9th

Meditation 10 minutes

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught maybe 6-10 waves, but felt exhausted and out of rhythm. Got hit by 3 different people's boards. Two of them were not my fault, one I didn't have a lot of energy to get to a better place so I take the blame for that. Didn't surf all that well either. At the end, a guy who had just caught a wave paddled into one and I swung deeper, even though he was already committed and I rode behind him - kind of a dick move on my part. No sunscreen, though it was late in the day - got a very, very light sunburn.

Note: Friday and I decided to skip surfing due to the intense heat, to let my skin heal and to decrease this feeling of weariness. Had a couple delicious, balanced meals and plenty of water and now at about 6pm my body feels excellent. Really enjoying my weight training - shoulder blade muscles feel good, feel strong throughout the body from the legs, to the core to the upper body. One weakness is my left posterior shoulder feels worn out or a bit sore, not bad, but the right feels good - I did a posterior capsule stretch on it and it is much tighter than the right.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

https://www.instagram.com/p/Blv8GrBg_u8 ... yryanklein

Studying this surf video from a few weeks ago (I was out there, but only one small, super fun wave), I noticed a few helpful details.

1. About half-way through there's a guy getting a barrel. A guy on the shoulder turns towards shore to watch, he doesn't paddle for the wave, but his positioning causes the wave to collapse, ruining the guy's ride. I both do this and paddle for the shoulder when people are already on waves or about to catch them. DON'T DO THIS ANYMORE!

2. The last guy in the clip is former World Champ Joel Tudor. If you notice the way he uses his legs and his footwork, a few details emerge:

A) He pops up directly into a speed stance - centered on the board. There is no micro-adjustments, he just pops up and is already in perfect alignment. From here he bends his knees for planing speed, bends his knees further to not get hit by the roof of the barrel, then straightens his legs out as he comes out of the barrel.

B) With his legs nearly straight, he then steps back into a turning stance. Now this might not sound like a big deal, I try to use the same footwork (front foot steps back, then the back foot) and the same wider stance to turn from. But when comparing him to other surfers, there's no weight shifting going on to the front leg and then an awkward step back. Because of how tall he's standing and how narrow his stance is it looks clean and low-effort.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:47 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, August 12th - Upper Body

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow In 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Bench 70's x 12, 5; 60's x 7, 5
and
Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15, 15, 12, 10

DB Seated Arnold Press 35's x 8, 30's x 7; Triceps Pushdowns 50lbs x 9, 42.5lbs x 8
and
BB Incline Bench Rows 95lbs x 15, 8; 85lbs x 10, 10

DB Hammer Curls 25's x 8, 8

Hanging Knee Raise x 10, 7, 5, 5
and
BOSU Sit-Ups with Green Band x 15, 11, 10, 12

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 40lbs x 10, 35lbs x 15
and
45 Degree Side Bends x 15, 15, 15, 12

Stretch Wrists, Forearms, Chest - Bent, Lats - Bent Leg, Chest - Straight, Chest - Straight Leg, Rear Delts, Biceps, Mid-Traps, Triceps, Hip Flexors, Obliques, Abs

Notes: After my first set of bench, a fellow gym member recommended I keep my elbows more tucked. This decreased my reps, but felt more natural. He also added to keep my thumb on the same side as my other fingers as often as possible. So my last 5-6 sets of rows I followed the advice. Glad I listened! Continuing to work on keeping shoulders neutral on all upper body exercises - more of a struggle on arms. Used a long pull-up bar for the hanging straps, was able to keep a better width for my shoulders as opposed to the parallel bars I normally attach to. Continuing as well to work on ab and tva contraction for abs, glute and tva contraction for obliques.

----

Surfing 30-45 minutes

Sun is finally setting earlier and I waited a little too long to paddle out. Once again, I tried to add to my surf mantra and once again it was too much to concentrate on. So half-way through I went back to the most successful one and it worked instantly. Had one wave where I saw a nice section, went for a deep bottom turn into a snap and didn't complete it, but it was close. Also, backed off at least one wave that was good and I was in a nice position for. If I can't add any more focal points, then I need to maximize the ones that I do have and work on the other factors: nutrition, hydration, sleep, gym.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, August 13th - Lower Body

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

Band Glute Bridge x 15 each leg, x 20 both legs together

BB Squat - Athletic Stance [8 blocks + step] 185lbs x 5, 5, 3, 3
and
Plate Calf Raise 35lbs x 15 x 4 sets

DB Walking Lunge 35's x 15, 12; 40's x 10, 8
and
DB Shin Raise 35lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Lying Hamstring Curls 90lbs x 10, 7, 7, 7

45 Degree Lower Back Extensions +25lbs x 12, 12, 10, 10

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Quads, Glutes - Foot to Opposite Hip, Glutes - Knee to Chest, Groin - Bent Leg, Hamstring - 1-Leg, Groin - Straight Leg, Hamstrings - Both Feet Together, Lying Twist, Knees to Chest

Notes: next time save the glute bridges until after the squats...felt the upper glutes (just below the lower back) working on back extensions, feels like it's been a few years since the last time....did 2-leg hamstring from a seated position, legs hip width apart, focusing on a neutral lower back, repeated 3x, felt amazing....was debating whether to surf or lift, skin feels okay, but it's so hot so I skipped and then got two texts when I was almost finished that the surf is firing....if I'm really on top of my sunscreen use, I can go out on the hottest day and feel fine (as long as I reapply), but anything less and the sun feels perilous....be better on the sunscreen and I won't have to miss out on good surfing days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, August 13th - Continued

15 minutes meditation "box breathing" + compassion meditation

Box breathing is inhale for a count of X, hold for X, exhale for X, hold for X. Did not feel very relaxed afterwards, if anything I was more short-tempered. Tuesday night someone called me out on my behavior and said "don't you teach meditation?" I was being a prick. Maybe not the best meditation for me.

Tuesday, August 14th

Surfing 1 hour

Hot as fuck. Wore a bunch of sunscreen. Choppy and windy, managed a couple fun waves (one with a bunch of cutties, one with a couple snaps). My arms feel very worn out. I'm guessing that I've been doing a bit too much upper body - gonna try scaling it back.

Wednesday, August 15th - Full Body

"Impermanence" Meditation + "Noting" Meditation + Compassion Meditation

Felt way better, I think an additional breathing centered meditation would have been a good addition.

----

Glute Bridge with Alternating Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Box Jumps 42" x 10 x 4 sets
and
Lying Back Extensions [neutral shoulders, neutral low back, active lower abs] x 1.5 minutes x 4 sets

Endless Rope x 1 minute x 800 feet PR, 788 feet, 815 feet PR, 742 feet
and
45 Degree Side Plank [active glutes and tva, neutral feet] x 1 minute each x 4 sets

BOSU Ball Chest Pass 6lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's [neutral shoulders] 25lbs x 15, 12

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 12

Stretch Full-Body

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next