IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."

IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:01 pm

<

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:36 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, August 16th

Meditation 20 minutes total

"Respect" + Noting + Centered Breathing + Compassion

Felt good afterwards, but just one type plus compassion meditation seems to be enough. Definitely got low patience with people later in the day, seem to be more insulated against that with one type of meditation for a sustained period.

Surfing 2.25 hours

I thought we were just getting a little swell, but evidently tomorrow should be pumping. Got a bunch of waves, surfed very well - hard turns, good flow, good speed. I think I slightly overtrained my quads last leg workout, gonna ditch the slow front kicks for a day without squats and lunges. Did feel a bit tired on the paddling - though yesterday's workout was fairly intense. Very grumpy with the limited crowd, for a while people were back-paddling me or just paddling around me. That said, after my first wave I totally paddled past the two guys who were there before me and probably was just getting some karmic justice. Saw some pretty sexy waves get surfed tonight. On the big ones, the guy's that made them surfed straight down, the guys who didn't tried to take off on an angle.

Ate a ton of soup from a Chinese restaurant after, a chunk of pot brownie and am having a beer. Good day!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:40 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, August 17th

Surfing 2.25 hours

I got to the beach and the waves looked whatever, but two people I trust told me that the surf was outstanding and I needed to get in. Proceeded to surf as good as I ever have, if not better.

I had two bad moments: one I was on the shoulder waiting to see if a guy would go or not. He backed off, but I wasn't prepared enough, couldn't make it in and then got smashed by a big set wave - if I had avoided the wave I think I would have been fine. The second, I went for a small wave on a growing set (I could see bigger waves behind it), missed it and got in the way of two people on the wave - I ditched my board and dove under but it was a close call and thought I might have hit someone with the board. That's a low pay-off, high-risk thing (going for a small, initial set wave on a building set). Hope to learn from both these dangerous choices.

The rest of the time, good rhythm, good wave selection, good turns. I turned as fast as I ever have - and in the past when I've turned this hard, I've always buried the rail and fallen over. These waves I stayed totally balanced and came out with full speed. It was epic and I am grateful for today's surf and coming in okay. Thanks God and thanks Ocean!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, August 18th

Taking a life-guarding certification this weekend. As part of the requirements we had to swim 300 yards without stopping, dive 10 feet and retrieve a 10lb brick and swim about 20 yards keeping the brick above the water and stay head above water for 2 minutes with no arm use.

All my weight training and surfing and I have shitty cardio. I passed, but I was gassing half-way through the swim and the 2 minutes with no arms sucked.

I think about getting stuck surfing a few weeks ago and I am willing to bet that a huge factor was the total absence of cardio in my training.

Planning to shoot for 2-3 days a week of 30-45 minutes continual activity. Swimming in particular would be beneficial.

----

Surfing 30 minutes

Blazing hot and the tide was a bit full, so decided to cut it short.

First 2 or 3 waves I didn't have much of a shoulder and I blew my turn on one of those. But the 2nd to last I saw a section that looked fun that I skipped to avoid a potential kid dropping in on me. The last wave I figured that section would be there, the wave shaped up nicely and with a similar look to it, so I eyed the top of the wave, did a deep bottom turn and got a juicy snap to re-entry.

I've done snaps before, but to do one like this has been a massive sticking point in my surfing for quite a while. Figuring out when and how deep to bottom turn....and what exercises and mental cue(s) to do so has been a quest for a few years.

I added "look" to my surf mantra and it has no doubt helped me surf better each of the last 3 sessions since I've added it in.

----

Surfing 2 hours

Lots of waiting between sets, lumpy and weird for the most part. Had fun though, good vibes in the water.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:42 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, August 19th

Feeling good from completing my lifeguard certification this morning and reflecting on some surfing observations.

While watching this short skateboarding video of current #1 Filipe Toledo I noticed a few details of how he uses his body in a fluid manner:

[youtube] https://youtu.be/AApdNvmEw5s [/youtube]

I practiced in my living room this fluid transfer of energy. When done right, there is a feeling of rigidity or strength through the upper back that allows for very little energy leakage.

I've noticed this before when doing a turn and having the energy shift through my trailing arm, into my torso and out my leading arm....adding a feeling of a whip's motion. The time I did that, I noticed that the transfer was sloppy and energy was wasted, but I could see that it was still more effective than my normal throw the arms, hips and head. Imagine aikido versus windmilling your arms.

Last night, I went for one big bottom turn into a snap, that I didn't complete. I could feel the energy I gathered from my turn get used ineffectively and not reverse me back down the wave, but just kind of dissipate. It's absolutely possible that I needed a deeper turn, it also may be the case that there is a lot of inefficiency in my movement and I wasn't able to harness the energy or shift it optimally.

A concept to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, August 20th

Meditation 30 minutes [breathe, relax, posture, aware, name, let go]

Meditation "forgiveness" x 5 min's or so + Compassion Meditation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, August 21st

I mentioned two days ago that I'm curious about being more efficient or coordinated in my surfing movements. I decided to google Brad Gerlach. Brad is an iconic surfer who in the 90's finished as high as 2nd in the World. Brad has also developed a system of land training for surfing called Wave Ki. I've been trying to figure out what Wave Ki is for quite a while, but the details remain vague.

I was able to find this interview with him that had a number of gems, link and quotes to follow:

https://www.theyakmag.com/brad-gerlach/

Tell us a little about Wave Ki.

"It’s the method of teaching that I developed through my study of martial arts with my two sensei’s Adrian Crook and Laura McCormac, adding in my countless hours of surfing. I teach people how to harness the power of the wave through efficient movement and awareness of themselves. Wave Ki is practiced on land and mimics surfing."

Your dad was a diving champion and gave you great advice with your surfing. What was some of the best advice he gave you about life, love and work ethics?

"He has given me a lot of advice: Don’t go around with no cash, like don’t be that guy. Don’t get married too young, lots of women out there. Look people in the eye and give a firm hand shake. A good deal is one that is good for both parties. There is always something to learn. Show up when you say you are going to, your word is everything. Don’t smoke a lot of pot, just a little if there’s pressure, lol. That was a funny one when I was 15. He said it will make you stupid and you don’t need to smoke more than one hit to get high....where he has been the biggest influence is with my surfing.

It would take up a lot of space here if I were to go into it, but basically he taught me to look for efficient movement, and that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so if you do something that doesn’t give you speed or control then it’s unnecessary and will probably look shit. He is very blunt but very smart. He saw things that I didn’t see and he showed me and talked to me about them over and over. I feel like he passed down his eye for beautiful movement."

If 20-year-old Brad could speak to Brad Now, what would he say?

"Work to be more flexible than anyone else in your sport. Stay focused on surfing, the women will come to you :)"

----

From another interview:

"Wake up super early, be the first one out and last one in the water, be prepared and don’t be a cheap skate. That’s the worst and will keep you from being invited on fun trips that are essential for your growth. Please have good manners, read books on successful athletes, and other topics to educate yourself, ask questions, be a good listener, stay away from being on your phone too much, Say Thank You to anyone who helps you even if it’s the smallest thing like the janitor at the airport who opens the door to the bathroom for you. learn to be charming, especially to flight and hotel staff and learn some jokes. People love to laugh and will go out of their way to help you if they like you."

----

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow In 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Chin-Ups x 8, 5, 4, 4
and
DB Bench 55's x 12, 10, 9, 7

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15, 55lbs x 12, 12, 15
and
DB Seated Arnold Press 35's x 8 x 2 sets; Push-Downs 50lbs x 12 x 2 sets

BB Curl 60lbs x 8 x 2 sets

Ab Machine [with abs and TVA] x 12, 9, 7, 5
and
45 Degree Side Bends [with TVA] +10lbs x 12, 12, 12, 10

Roman Chair Knee Raise [with abs and TVA] x 8, 7, 5, 4
and
Cable Reverse Fly 25lbs x 15, 12, 12; 20lbs x 12

DB Side-Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Stretch Chest - Bent, Chest - Straight, Rear Delts, Biceps, Lats - Bent Leg, Lats - Straight Leg, Triceps, Hip Flexors, Lying Twist, Abs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:44 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, August 22nd

Surfing 2.75 hours

A handful of people, then just me. Waves had great shape and speed, small-medium size. The addition of "look" to what I concentrate on has been a big help. I have never done as many front-side snaps as I performed today. It wasn't that the shape and speed were the best I've ever surfed, it's just that I was looking at the waves differently.

The best turn was on my best section, I eyed the top of the wave, did a bottom turn as I came up to hit the top, I changed to a carve, slid the fins all the way around and came right back out of it. I've done that before a few times, but very seldom, and it felt awesome!

Also, I was paddling very fast. My kick felt strong too - perhaps the egg-beating in the pool?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, August 23rd

Yoga [8 minutes] + Meditation 20 minutes + Savasana 3 minutes + Nature Time 10 minutes

Meditation was just focusing on the breath. I have no idea why I keep returning to this form of meditation as it doesn't seem to work well for me, the breath is not enough to hold my focus and so my mind wanders excessively. Nature time was spent watching spider-web's flutter in the breeze, branches sway and little bugs buzz around.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:34 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, August 24th - Lower Body

Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Walking Lunges 45’s x 12 each x 4 sets
and
Seated Calf Raise 50lbs x 15, 12, 12, 12

Band Side Walk x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Seated Adduction 60lbs x 15, 50lbs x 15

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15 each x 2 sets

Lying Hamstring Curls 100lbs x 8, 7, 6; 90lbs x 8
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

45 Degree Lower Back Extensions +35lbs x 12, 9, 7, 7

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Glutes - Knee to Chest, Quads, Adductors, Hamstrings - Straight, to Sides, Across Body

Note: didn’t like how my body felt after the glute bridges, felt a twinge in my back and L or R knee during hamstring curls and back extensions. Body felt fine before that. Maybe just keep it for my full-body athletic days?

Note 2: can already tell a difference from the increased meditation in terms of my patience driving. Numerous times today I noticed people running stop signs or other things that could annoy me and they didn’t affect me much. Didn’t make it today, but will shoot for two sessions tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:05 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, August 26th

Definitely feel that the glute bridges done on Friday were just a little too much. Likewise, the 4 sets of reverse flys I did, when coupled with the 2 sets of internal and 2 sets of external rotation felt like too much. I've had very low interest in surfing this week, there've been not much in the way of waves, but I'll back it off the next workouts.

----

Meditated on the a rock about 10 feet above the ocean, then sat for a few minutes peacefully afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, August 27th

Noting Meditation 10 minutes

Mantra Meditation 10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Notes: started the second meditation with glute, groin and lower back stretches; played ocean waves on a speaker system and the mantra was "I breathe" on the in breath..."therefore I am" on the out breath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, August 28th - Upper Body

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

BB Bench 155lbs x 4, 4, 4, 3
and
BB Incline Bench Rows 95lbs x 15, 10, 8, 7

DB Seated Arnold Press 40's x 8, 5; 35's x 6, 5
and
Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 15, 12, 10, 8

Parallel Grip Push-Downs 25lbs x 15, 15, 12, 10
and
DB Hammer Curls 25's x 12, 10; 20lbs x 8, 8

BOSU Sit-Up with Band x 20, 15, 12, 10
and
45 Degree Side Bends w/ TVA Contraction x 15 each x 2 sets, 12 each x 2 sets

Decline Bench Leg Raise x 8-15 x 4 sets
and
Cable Reverse Fly - High to Low 30lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Cable Seated Internal Rotation 30lbs x 20 x 4 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 12

DB Seated External Rotation 6lbs x 20, 17R/14L

Notes: did not contract TVA during the abs. Although my surfing has increased as a result of all the TVA contracting, my back feels less stable and my ab strength has been stuck in gridlock for a few months. Just focused on keeping my abs active on the two ab exercises. Tried to reset my shoulders to neutral on bench, rows, arms, obliques and all shoulder stability stuff. This was a lot of upper back stuff, in the past I can do 4 sets of internal rotation, external rotation or a combination - any more and I feel like shit. Today I did 8 sets, so I'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:35 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, August 29th

Meditation 10-15 minutes

Decided after thinking some un-kind thoughts yesterday at work, that if I'm going to meditate, I should strive for early in the morning. Not meditating at all yesterday contributed to that as well.

Woke up early and decided to walk around and look for a good spot nearby my apartment. Ended up walking towards a rural bike path and then up on to an undeveloped hillside overlooking my apartment complex and the Ocean.

It was a fantastic place, still had the noise of traffic and planes, but also many varied birdsongs, a gentle breeze and, since the hillside obstructs the rising sun, I was in blessed shade.

Focused on breathe, observe and let go for the first half, but found I was looking too internally and switched to breathe, aware and let go. This allowed for much more intake of the natural surroundings.

Meditation 5-10 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Led a small group through being aware of their surroundings: sound, then vision, then touch, smell and taste....finally the body and the mind. Breathe, aware, let go. Went well!

----

Rock Climbing/Bouldering 1 hour

Went with a couple fit girls and proceeded to suck. I don't know what it is about climbing (it's hard?) that makes it so generally unenjoyable. Got up a couple V1's, failed to get up any V2's. The weird finger strength I didn't have, but otherwise physically felt fine. After my left shoulder hurt. Yay!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:22 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Thursday, August 30th - Upper Body Pull

Meditation 10 minutes

Drove home from a chica's house, feeling very tired, but decided to check the surf. No waves (well waves, but tons of wind and chop and looked meager), but for some reason I was motivated to meditate. Birds, bugs, waves, boats all cruising by. Awareness, breath and letting go.

Body Scan + Meditation 15 minutes + Compassion Meditation

Repeated "peace" for the meditation. Not sure that was particularly effective. For compassion meditation I usually end each subject with "may you live a life of ease." Today I subbed in "may good things happen to you."

Surfing 1 hour

Any doubts about the ab change (dropping TVA contraction from abs) seem to be unnecessary. Turns were good. But! I paddled slow. Either my upper body volume is so damn high that I'm struggling to recover, or there are other things I could add in.

----

Decided to back off for today's workout, the last upper body day was too long, but this may be too short.

Stretching 7.5 minutes (lats, biceps, forearms, abs, neck, hip flexors, rear delts)

Wall Slides x 20 (did these with proper lumbar alignment as opposed to grotesquely hyper-arching. Horrifically hard and shit ROM)

Lat Pulldown - Parallel Grip 100lbs x 20, 15, 10 (correcting again the lumbar)
and
Seated Row - Parallel Grip 50lbs x 15 x 3 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 15, 15, 10
and
BB Curl 60lbs x 8. 6; 50lbs x 8 (felt upper lats)

BOSU Sit-Up with Red Band x 15, 12, 11

+ BB Reverse Wrist Curl 25lbs x 20, BB Wrist Curl 50lbs x 20, Neck Harness Extension and Flexion 10lbs x 20

Stretching 7.5 minutes

Kept neutral shoulders for rows, fly's, curls, forearms and neck. Felt better in every case. Abs firing on sit-ups, fly's and neck - neck was intense on abs.

Last edited by Bram on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:25 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, August 31st - Upper Body Push

Stretching 7.5 minutes

DB Bench 65's x 12, 8, 6

DB Seated Arnold Press 40's x 6; 35's x 6. 5

45 Degree Side Bend w/ TVA +10lbs x 15, 15, 12
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 42.5lbs x 15, 15, 12

+ Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each, Scap Push-Ups x 20, Sahrmann Level 1 x 15 each, DB Shrugs 35's x 20, Kneeling Straight-Arm Pull-Downs 35lbs x 15, DB Full Can's 5's x 20, Cable Seated Internal Rotation 10lbs x 20, DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, DB Seated External Rotation 7.5lbs x 15

Stretching 7.5 minutes

Notes: I was under an internal debate to have the extra transverus exercise or to add full-cans for the supraspinatus. I decided to add both.

----

Surfing 1 hour

Really tough conditions: low-tide, choppy, windy, mixed up. Got one wave that I basically struggled to stay up on for 50 feet or so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Saturday, September 1st

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfed Scripps Pier on a 3 x 6 second West swell with strong South winds. Forgot that Scripps redirects the South winds towards off-shore, but my buddy told me the last couple days it's been really good. My current go-to spot's can't handle those winds and haven't been breaking cleanly.

Still felt tired paddling. One of those weird days where I had a ton of difficulty being in position to catch a good wave. A couple bad choices got me bumped off the bottom and thankful I didn't hit my board as I got tossed. At one point I just decided to paddle along shore and lucked into my best wave. It was a good-sized left breaking wave and I caught it after the first section had already broken. I did a big bottom turn, eyed the lip and got a nice, powerful front-side snap. Got two other waves where I did a turn and a possibly good right that I blew after making the drop, due to what I'll blame is a huge lack of surfing rights.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, September 2nd - Upper Body and Core

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow In 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Chin-Ups x 5, 4, 3, 3
and
DB Incline Bench 55's x 12, 12, 12, 10

Seated Cable Rows 50lbs x 12, 10, 10, 12
and
DB Lateral Raise 12.'5 x 12, 10; Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 50lbs x 12, 9

BB Curls 60lbs x 6, 50lbs x 7

Hanging Knee Raise x 9, 6, 4, 2
and
BOSU Sit-Ups with Red Band x 12, 10, 6, 6

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 18, 12; DB Side-Lying External Rotation 6lbs x 20 x 2 sets
and
45 Degree Side Plank x 1 minute each x 4 sets

Stretch Chest - Bent, Chest - Straight, Rear Delts, Biceps, Lats - Bent Leg, Lats - Straight Leg, Triceps, Hip Flexors, Lying Twist, Abs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:58 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, September 3rd - Lower Body

Surf looked very fun yesterday at Scripps pier, but I had committed to a birthday party for a friend of a date's infant daughter. I was very unhappy to miss surfing :rock: . But the kid was super sweet and my body felt pretty damn tired. My date got wasted Saturday night, drunk again Sunday mid-day, drank on the way to the kid's party, drank at the party and drank afterwards at her place. I had no drinks. Haha, I don't think we're on the same page, which is too bad. Nice person, but that's a lot of booze.

Spent the night chastely next to her, checked the surf on the way home and it looked small but fun. Saw a little barrel at La Jolla shores that a guy came out of, but had work today, so trained a few people and then this workout:

Wall Sit's x 90, 60, 60, 60 seconds
and
Bodyweight Calf Raises - Feet Straight/Feet Out/Feet In x 20/10/10, 20/10/10, 15/10/10, 15/10/10

Walking Lunges x 15 each x 4 sets
and
DB Decline Bench Shin Raises 30lbs x 20. 15. 15. 15

Band Side Walk x 15 each x 2 sets
and
Glider Side Lunge x 15 each x 2 sets

Band TKE - Green x 20 each x 2 sets

Lying Hamstring Curl 100lbs x 6 x 4 sets
and
45 Degree Lower Back Extension +25lbs x 12, 12, 10, 10

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Quads, Glutes - Standing Pigeon, Quads, Groin - Legs Bent, Groin - Legs Straight, Hamstring 1-Leg, Hamstring 2-Leg, Lying Twist, Both Knees to Chest

----

My upper body has felt sore for what feels like a week, but I think the program I did yesterday knocked it loose. That said, I still felt a little stiff today, but wanted to get a surf in. Around 530pm I foam rolled my upper back, lats and chest for 2-3x each until I felt better.

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught a lot of waves, but many lacked power once I was on my feet. Got one very nice carve. There were a couple waves where I felt I was rushing to get a vertical snap in when I should have waited a second and done a horizontal carve. And again with being all annoyed about humanity.

Last edited by Bram on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:28 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, September 4th

Woke up early and had a breakfast of egg whites, spinach, oatmeal, berries and walnuts. Felt great!

Surfing 1.5 hours

As I'm walking to the beach I run into this very nice spiritual lady from the gym. We walk down and then she asked if she could lead me in a meditation. Sure! This is what we did:

"Inhale deeply through the nose and exhale out through the nose"

"Exhale longer than your inhalation"

"Repeat 7 times"

"Visualize a golden ball of energy where your heart is"

"Breathe into and out of that ball and let the energy diffuse throughout your entire being"

Felt good!

Two nice people paddled out just before me, we chatted and traded waves until they went in shortly before me. I caught lots of waves, but had plenty of difficulty getting my back foot in position. In the past, inner thigh and outer thigh exercises have helped that out. I didn't think the outer thigh exercise (band side walks) I performed yesterday was an issue, but I had my doubts about the inner thigh exercise (glider side lunges). Just a quick workout today to come up with a better inner/outer thigh combo than yesterday:

Slow Roundhouse Kicks x 20 each x 2 sets
and
Standing 1-Leg Cable Adduction [using Hanging Ab straps] 30lbs x 15, 25lbs x 12

Holy shit! That was much more effective! Actually got a pump in my muscles from the adduction exercise.

----

Thought about the best my shoulders have felt and it's a sequence of Internal/External Rotation, Internal Rotation and External Rotation. Decided to go with that, tomorrow is supposed to be a non-weights day and I can rest up:

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Arm Wrestler's 30lbs x 20, 20R/12L

----

Surfing 1.5 hours

Haha, what a difference! Ripping into my turns right off the bat, paddle speed was good. I did start to feel like my weight was shifting around too much, as opposed to going directly into maneuvers. I felt when I was contracting my TVA on every ab and oblique exercise I felt more solid, so I will add that back in.

----

Hanging Knee Raises w/ TVA x 2-6 x 4 sets
and
BOSU Sit-Ups w/ TVA x 12-6 x 4 sets

45 Degree Side Planks x 1 minute each x 4 sets

Surfing 1 hour

I did feel a bit tighter through my core and made a good amount of waves, but I'm definitely rushing things. Like I'd do a turn and go right into the next, which can be fine, but not when the speed isn't there. I thought I had beat that habit, but only it seems if the waves are really fast. I can't outrace the pace of the wave, have to match it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, September 5th

Meditation 15 minutes [noting what thoughts come up]

Compassion Meditation

This was just awful today, I don't know what about it in particular. But I hated meditating. In fact, I kept thinking fiercely "I hate meditating, I hate meditating."

Thursday, September 6th

Had only one person show up for meditation class. Led him and myself through a 15 minute yoga routine, then led him in the guided meditation I did on the beach on Tuesday.

Compassion Meditation + Writing down, then sharing what we're grateful for

He was happy about the class. He appreciated the yoga and me adjusting his posture a few times as he meditated. He shared a nice story about talking to a gym member who's battling cancer and how they've become friends since he approached him.

----

Another day of feeling under-recovered, so I figured I'd just keep hitting my shoulder stabilizers until I'm feeling good enough to do a full workout.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each side x 2 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 20, 15

Cable Internal Rotation - Arm Wrestler's 35lbs x 20 each side x 2 sets

Surfing 1 hour

Pretty atrocious conditions: windy, choppy, waves coming in all over the place. But I had a short day at work, so what the fuck.

Paddled strong, no complaints about anything, but hard to get onto a wave with any shape to it. Managed one right at the end with a cutback that took me to shore. New swell hits later today, maybe go again later...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:22 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Friday, September 7th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Caught a couple waves in the first 20 minutes, then nothing the rest of the session. Surfed okay.

Saturday, September 8th

Surfing 2.5 hours

Caught a bunch of waves. Surfed okay. Saw a video of my last wave, good drop in the right part of the wave, but surfed all goofy.

Cable Reverse Fly 20lbs x 20 x 2 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Forgot to do my second external rotation exercise. Looked around my apartment and stuffed a big sweet potato in a big beer stein mug. Have a scale and my contraption weighed in at around 3.5lbs.

DB Seated External Rotation 3.5lbs x 20, 15

Surfing 1 hour

Caught a good amount of waves, had a lot of fun! Changed my attitude and that helped a bunch - just "feel, connect, be present, flow, style."

Been trying to add more things to focus on....while some parts of it have been helpful ("look" and "don't panic"), it's been making surfing too much in my head.

Surfing is best when it feels that being on the board, moving my body and riding the wave is simply happening and I'm just along for the ride. Thinking too much takes me so far out of the moment and makes me surf worse/have less fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:06 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Sunday, September 9th

Got up early, but the tide was very high and the surf looked okay. We have a fun swell forecasted for today, so decided to chill until it looked better.

Meditation 7 minutes

Nature Time 15 minutes

Surfing 2 hours

Surfed good! Waves were fun and lots of them. I blew a couple turns because I didn't have my foot in the tail position.

Got a nice turn under the lip, lots of sketchy drops, a couple fun carves. Want to go more, but the wind got on it. The only downside (besides my foot position), was not getting sunscreen on right after I finished. Had some stuff to do outside and although it wasn't much sun exposure, on top of surfing it's made my skin feel a bit overdone.

Surfing 45-60 minutes

Was planning to late afternoon surf by my house (which I heard was very good), but my plans to lunch surf with a friend got delayed and delayed and ended up going out at Tourmaline with her and her friend near dark. Got 2-3 fun waves, but my friend had a full-on panic attack because the 3 of us stayed out late and it got dark quick. She was okay once we got to the beach thankfully :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:11 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Monday, September 10th

Surfing 1.5 hours

There were waves and everyone was chill, but it was a bit slow (heard PB pier was firing during this time). Focused on my rhythm and nabbed the biggest wave of the session...I'm nearly always the worst surfer at this break and I was again today, but got lucky and was in position. Last wave in I got some fun turns. Yew!

Maybe the next time the surf looks just okay, I'll look around a bit more than just going for convenience's sake. Tired! Maybe another surf later if I have the energy.

----

Compassion Meditation

Led one student through a yoga routine and had another student lead himself and another student through a body scan. Then led them through some simple breath work focusing on impermanence.

----

Cable Reverse Fly 20lbs x 20 x 2 sets (focusing on square shoulders, but not setting the shoulder blades)
and
Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extensions x 15 each x 4 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 13

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 15, 12

Surfing 45 minutes

Surfed Windansea, which I almost never do because of the history of bad vibes out there AND the fact that it's a heavy wave. But the tide predictions were off and it looked good and not too crowded. Lucked into a wave right off the bat, but either I chose the wrong direction or it just petered out. I was unsure how my surfing would feel tonight, but I quickly lucked into another small left after I noticed the pack had drifted away from my normal take-off spot. The small left hit the bowl section and quickly grew and I got two hard and fun turns in a row and then ended up way down the beach!

Paddled back out and after passing up 3 waves that looked like I was headed for a deep swim if I committed, got another one with my foot totally on the tail. That petered out and got another one with my foot in position again. Felt like my hips could have been stronger on a steep, fast section and want to increase my volume for abduction and adduction.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:20 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Tuesday, September 11th

Surfing 1.5 hours

Surfed my favorite local secret spot. Kelp everywhere, looked choppy at first. Was quite fun today. Tons of waves, great sections. For awhile every wave ended with a fun closeout section that I was doing snaps on. On one of them I threw a pretty hard turn, but didn't commit to staying over the board and fell. But going forwards I kept committing to being centered and made basically all the snaps. There are definitely two peaks here, an outside one, which is a more exciting wave, and an inside one. I saw some great waves ridden on the outside, but I stayed on the inside where the risk was lower. Went for a layback carve that would have been great to make, but I fell on the rebound. Felt the board swing out from under me and my hips drive it into an arcing turn.

Felt super happy when I came in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Wednesday, September 12th

A small watermelon for dinner and 3 hours of sleep left me finally feeling run down today. The surf looks fun, but the sun is pounding and I have dinner plans. The only plus side is that it motivated me to do some meal preparation this morning. Been crushing balanced, healthy meals all day and looking forwards to a solid nights sleep.

Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Cable Reverse Fly's 20lbs x 20 x 2 sets

Cable Internal Rotation - Seated 40lbs x 15, 10

Compassion Meditation

----

The surf looked okay, but the sun was intense (although I used multiple coats of sunscreen yesterday, I felt I should have used more) and I still felt tired. I had dinner plans, though a large part of me is basically annoyed any time I have to give up Ocean time for anything besides work (with one exception and no it's not sex). I sat there at dinner and watched wave after wave after wave roll in. I have the feeling that tonight was amazing surfing. Blocked by lack of sleep, lack of food, lack of sunscreen and plans.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next