The Virtue and the Way

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Virtue and the Way

Post by Bram » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Thursday, December 26th: Upper Body Push + Yoga

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

DB Bench 60's x 10 x 3 sets
and
DB Windmill's - Low Hand 35lbs x 15 each, 40lbs x 15 each x 2 sets

DB Hang Clean and Press - Athletic Stance 95lbs x 5 x 3 sets

Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions 42.5lbs x 16, 11, 11

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

+ Scapula Push-Ups, Neck Harness Flexion and Extension, Sahrmann Level 2

Stretch Upper Body and Core

----

Slow Flow Vinyasa Yoga 1.25 hours

First time in a long time that I felt fine taking a yoga class, even an easy one like today's. Hamstrings a bit tight, otherwise good to go.
Last edited by Bram on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:08 pm

Friday, December 27th: Surfing

Surfing 2.5 hours

Surfed Big Rock and Windansea....at BR there were about 20 people and it was a bit cutthroat, at Windansea there was 2-3 of us at the peak.

Got some decent waves and surfed decently, but have fallen down the rabbit hole again of trying to come up with a perfect mental checklist for surfing.

The weird reality of these mental checklists is they seem to seep into everything else. So if I surf better with one mental set, but am a bit more selfish about it, then I tend to be a bit better at things, and more selfish, outside of the water.

Will try, again, to go back to my surf mantra that not only let me surf well (not perfectly), but also translated into me being a more or less happier/calmer person:

feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, relax, don't hurry
Be careful with your words, for someone will agree with them. Be careful of your conduct, for someone will imitate it.

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:43 pm

These touchstones or coming-from points do permeate other things. One problem I've often had is that others see them, which I'm usually not aware of. A further problem is that a mindset that's good for one thing may be bad for other things, in ways that aren't obvious to me at the time. Sometimes it's mixed. For example, whatever my daily default setting was when I was fulltime RVing, it got me a lot of aggression from some other campers. But I have also had two people make me dinner and another stop and give me a breakfast burrito. So my thought is that I clearly was signalling weakness to the hostiles but it was neutral/positive to some other people.

An odd one for me, although I think I understand it now, is that the nicer I am the more hostility I get, and the less people like me (usually, although there are some exceptions). It's also hard to get good feedback, or should I say accurate feedback. For me at least. You seem to have good awareness of how different mantras lead you to be perceived differently so maybe my issue here isn't relevant for you.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:42 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:43 pm
These touchstones or coming-from points do permeate other things. One problem I've often had is that others see them, which I'm usually not aware of. A further problem is that a mindset that's good for one thing may be bad for other things, in ways that aren't obvious to me at the time. Sometimes it's mixed. For example, whatever my daily default setting was when I was fulltime RVing, it got me a lot of aggression from some other campers. But I have also had two people make me dinner and another stop and give me a breakfast burrito. So my thought is that I clearly was signalling weakness to the hostiles but it was neutral/positive to some other people.

An odd one for me, although I think I understand it now, is that the nicer I am the more hostility I get, and the less people like me (usually, although there are some exceptions). It's also hard to get good feedback, or should I say accurate feedback. For me at least. You seem to have good awareness of how different mantras lead you to be perceived differently so maybe my issue here isn't relevant for you.
Haha, well I tend not to be as concerned with how other people perceive me...but I am concerned with what my thoughts are towards them.

Like if I feel greedy, arrogant, or caring, then I'll use those as signposts to change direction, or to keep going.

Niceness is tricky. I used to try to be nice, or to never get angry, but both made me into a bit of a wimp (and I think anger has utility when employed correctly). That said, focusing on kindness has never done anything negative in my life - only good.

In fact, here's my training/teaching meditation class mantra (as of now):

smart, funny, take care, curious, kind, never give up, be humble

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:49 am

Sunday, December 28th: Surfing

Surfing 1.5-1.75 hours

Another outstanding day of waves, back at Big Rock. The wind stayed perfect the whole time and we had nice 2-3 foot waves with long rippable walls the whole session. I had heard that South Mission was bigger and better (it's a short interval WNW swell), so maybe tomorrow morning I'll venture down there.

The weather couldn't have been any nicer, and although the water was cold, it was clear, and my new wetsuit kept me cozy. I wanted to see if adding things to my non-surfing/work mantra would have an effect on my surfing...and so I played with a couple options, adding "never give up" (and then post-surf, when I was tempted to blab about my surf to family, "be humble). Interestingly, although I was focusing on one group of things, the fact that never give up was in the back of my brain allowed me to push myself a bit more than normal.

Worked on double arm-dragging to stall (worked great!), and had a ton of fun in general!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Sunday, December 29th - Core

Hanging Knee Raise [neutral spine and TVA contraction] x 10, 7, 6
and
45 Degree Side Bend Isometric [glute and TVA contraction] x 1 min each x 3 sets

After spending a few months separating my TVA activation from my ab and oblique exercises, I thought combining them might be more beneficial.

After a few days of reflection, I have decided that this was a red herring, and have moved on to post. pelvic tilt for rectus without TVA contraction.
----

Surfing 2 hours

Just me and one other guy out. The waves were infrequent, but long and beautifully shaped when they came through. After my first wave it felt like a successful surf session. If changing my approach to abs/tva/obliques caused any problems, I couldn't tell.

Stayed out too long with the plummeting tide, and made the mistake of taking a too small wave (which breaks in shallower water). Ended up smacking my thumb on a rock as I kicked out. Just a few scrapes, but could have known better.
Last edited by Bram on Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Monday, December 30th: Full Body

Broomstick Twists x 7 each side
and
Ba Gua Tea Exercise x 7 each side
and
Ginga (from Capoeira) x 7 each side
and
High Knees x 10 each side
3 rounds

Box Jumps 36" x 10 x 2 sets, 39" x 10
1-Arm Medicine Ball Explosive Push-Press 8lbs x 15 each x 3 sets
Mountain Climbers [contract TVA] x 45 seconds x 3 sets
Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 609, 605, 615 feet
Lying Super-Man's [contract glutes, mid/low traps, post. pelvic tilt] x 90, 75, 60 seconds

+ Glute Bridge w/ Alt. Leg Extensions [post. pelvic tilt], Slow Back Kicks

Stretch 15 minutes

----

Meditation Class

Although I led the class through a progressive relaxation, I skipped that part and participated in a breath/awareness meditation, a compassion meditation, and gratitude reflection.

----

Rock Climbing

Did 3 routes: a 5.7, 5.8, and 5.9. Got stuck four times on the 5.9, and once on the 5.8. Didn't rip any flesh off and tried hard to listen to my experienced friend's advice (use your legs, keep your hips close to the wall, try to keep your arm either straight or all the way pulled in, adjust your weight in line with whatever arm is holding you, e.g., your right hand is outstretched to your right, your torso moves to the left).

A guy overheard me talking about bodysurfing and gave this advice:

When the wave approaches, take off under the water in the direction of the wave's energy. It should launch you out if you angle your arms up, or along with the wave (like a dolphin) if you keep your arms straight.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:50 pm

Tuesday, December 31st: Abs

Hanging Knee Raises x 15, 11, 10
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each

Decided to try another form take on abs. Ignored the TVA on the knee raises and focused on initiating each rep from a posterior pelvic tilt, then curling the hips under. It was satisfyingly excrucitating. Then the TVA exercise I did from a neutral spine. I know I have to train the TVA and abs on the same day for my surfing, but I think doing them simultaneously is counter-productive. It seems to keep my rectus abs weak/annoy my lower back. Likewise, I have to keep good spinal position for the abs, and can't just hammer them out.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Wednesday, January 1st - New Year's!

Had a mellow night at home to ring in the new year: played chess, machi koro (link below) and led my family through a dungeons and dragons adventure.

https://www.amazon.com/Pandasaurus-Game ... 1631400924

Then woke up early and headed to North San Diego county to surf.

Surfing 2.75 hours

Got an absurd amount of waves. Started off on my 6'1" but my friend Daren (visiting from Portland) was struggling so I switched boards with him, a 7'0" thruster of his sisters. I kept catching waves and he started to, with him getting a long one right off the bat. Played with some different mental cues (re-added "maximize, detachment" - which helped!), at one point took a random board HARD to the jaw (a girl had ditched her board as I went around her and it cracked me). It was fun to push a new board, but also take advantage of it's strengths. It turned a bit slower, but floated better. As the session continued, I started going for stronger turns, some of which I made, but then could cruise all the way to shore as the waves reformed.

Oh, and noticed a good line-up at this spot - just north of a little house on a bluff. This worked exceptionally well.

----

In the evening I accompanied my family to a rock climbing gym. My body was toasted, but I took a belay course and afterwards belayed about 5 trips up the wall for my cousins.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:19 am

Thursday, January 2nd - Lower Body

Although I got many waves yesterday, I neglected to mention that many of my turns were associated with lower back pain. Nothing that interfered with any maneuvers, but obviously a sign to pay attention to.

And even with my surfing being about the best it's ever been, I can't help but wonder if maybe form tweaks here and there could get rid of the need for such a wide-reaching variety of exercises.

After getting a much better ab workout by focusing on curling my pelvis from a neutral back position, it inspired me to mess with the alignment on a host of other exercises:

Wall Sit [neutral lumbar] x 90, 90, 60, 60 seconds
and
DB Calf Raises 25lbs x 20 x 4 sets

Pistol Box Squats [neutral lumbar] x 7, 6, 5, 4

Glute Ham Raise [neutral hips] x 20, 20, 15, 15

1-Leg KB Deadlift [neutral lumbar] 24lbs x 10 each x 4 sets

Notes - my left posterior lumbar something (quadratus, oblique?) was working quite hard on the wall sits. I didn't pay attention to my low back on the calf raises, and yet it still went into a hyper-arched position on the last reps of my final set (which felt shitty). Continued to feel obliques/abs working on deadlifts with the neutral spine position.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Friday, January 3rd: Upper Body Pull

Stretch

Chin-Ups x 8, 6, 6, 5

DB Bent-Over Rows 20's x 20, 15, 15, 15

DB Curls 20's x 15, 15, 12, 12
and
Cable Reverse Flies 20lbs x 15, 15; 15lbs x 15, 13

Hanging Knee Raises x 15, 11, 8, 7

Stretch

Neutral low back on all exercises, curled pelvis on abs, tensed core on curls.

----

Surfing ~30 minutes

Caught about 15 waves, couldn't believe it. Just total harmony with where to sit, in a crowded line-up no less. But my back still felt a bit painful doing any turns. Came in beaming!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:42 am

Saturday, January 4th: Upper Body Push

Stretch upper body + core

DB Bench 55's x 15, 60's x 12, 65's x 8, 70's x 6

DB Lateral Raise 12.5's x 15 x 4 sets

DB Skull-Crushers 17.5's x 15, 12, 10, 8

Band Anti-Rotation x 1 min each x 4 sets

Cable Internal Rotation 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets; Cable External Rotation 20lbs x 20 each x 2 sets

Repeat stretches

----

Surfing 1.25 hours

Caught some fun waves! Blew a turn on a left, I was positioned so perfectly right next to the breaking section, then went down for whatever reason. Got some fun lefts and rights and my back felt less vulnerable, but still not perfect. It looked incredible around 4pm at Windansea - windy, super rip-able, competitively crowded. But I felt content to sip coffee.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:15 am

Monday, January 6th - Full Body Athletic

After an epic night of partying, followed by idiotically drunk driving home with 13 drinks in my system, I have had about a 36 hour hangover.

----

Neutral pelvis on lying super-man, band press, endless rope, and all stretches.

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, and Biceps

1-Leg Box Jumps 21" x 10 each, 24" x 10 each x 2 sets, 27" x 5 each

Roundhouse Kicks to a Heavy Bag [whip leading arm's elbow back] x 10 each x 4 sets
and
Lying Super-Man [feet externally rotated] x 90 seconds x 4 sets

Kneeling Endless Rope x 45 seconds x 607 feet, 605 feet, 622 feet, 598 feet
and
Explosive Mini-Band Split-Stance Standing Chest Presses x 20 x 4 sets

Stretch 8 minutes

Note: my kicks feel weaker, though my left and right sides feel equal. I generally believe that isometric exercises are best on these athletic days, and full range-of-motion exercises are best on strength days. Perhaps doing squats vs. wall sits and twists vs. band anti-rotations this week on my strength days will make a difference on my kicks.

Note 2: I wanted to review my 45 degree low back form and found this video from a few years back, the author mentions that externally rotating the legs increases glute activation, hence today's change --

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:30 am

Wednesday, January 8th: Lower Body Strength

Worked on a posterior pelvic tilt on hamstring curls; and a neutral low back on the stretches, lunges, calves, squats, and back extensions.

Squeezed mid/low traps on walking lunges.

DB Goblet Squat [3 blocks + med ball] 27.5lbs x 15, 12, 10, 8
and
Seated Calf Raises 45lbs x 12, 12, 10, 10

DB Walking Lunges 30's x 12 each, 35's x 8 each, 6 each; 30's x 6 each

Stability Ball Hamstring Curls x 12, 10, 8, 6

45 Degree Low Back Extension [pad on upper thighs] x 17, 12, 11, 12

Stretch Calves, Hip Flexors, Glute Maximus, Glute Medius, Quads, Butterfly, 1-Leg Hamstring, Wide Straddle, Seated Twist

Notes: been focusing on keeping neutral hips whenever I'm sitting/driving/lying down.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:56 pm

Thursday, January 9th

Upper quads sore.

Notable because they never seem to get sore unless I do jump squats or push-press. Gotta figure it was the form emphasis.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:36 pm

Friday, January 10th

Probably going to revert to a higher volume approach, but as I was under the weather today, just did a few stability exercises:

Glute Bridge with Alt. Leg Extension x 15, 15, 11, 6 each
and
Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side 50lbs x 20 each x 2 sets, Cable Internal Rotation - Elbow on Knee 30lbs x 20 each, 30lbs x 20R/20lbs x 20L

Band TKE - Purple Band x 20 each x 4 sets (much harder on L leg)
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each, Level 2 x 9 each, Level 1 x 9 each, Level 1 x 6 each

Slow Back Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

----

Kicking around some different things to think about while leading meditation classes. I looked through some books I have on Taoism and Zen Buddhism and came up with a few fundamentals (though both texts I read include "do your best and let go," Taoism adds "no intentions," and Zen brings "loving-kindness and compassion"):

Do Your Best
Let Go
No Intentions
Loving-Kindness
Compassion
Last edited by Bram on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Saturday, January 11th - Back, Biceps, Abs

PG Chin-Ups x 8, UH Chin-Ups x 7, OH Pull-Ups x 6, PG Chin-Ups x 6

Seated Rows 35lbs x 15, 15, 12, 12
- emphasized drawing shoulders back at beginning and bringing scaps together at end

BB Curls 50lbs x 10, 10, 7
and
DB Hammer Curls 20's x 12, 12, 10
and
BB Reverse Curls 40lbs x 10, 10, 7

Hanging Knee Raises x 3 sets
and
Alt. Lying Leg Raises x 3 sets
and
BOSU Sit-Up w/ Band x 3 sets
- emphasized tucking the hips under

Cable Reverse Flies 15lbs x 15, 12; 10lbs x 15, 12
and
Sahrmann Exercise Level 1 x 15 each x 4 sets

Stretch lats, biceps, forearms, hip flexors before and after workout.

----

Low back feels quite good after this workout.

Surfing 1 hour

Waves were small (1-2 foot), but very fun in shape! Got a couple waves early, and did a flowing job of surfing to the left, then swinging to the right when the left's died. As the sun set, everyone else went in, and I waited...and waited...and got my biggest wave and best turn of the session!

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Sunday, January 12th - Legs

BB Wide Stance Squats 185lbs x 8 x 4 sets
and
DB Calf Raises 25lbs x 20, 20, 15, 20

DB Goblet Squats 30lbs x 15, 12, 12, 8
and
Seated Calf Raises 45lbs x 10 x 4 sets

1-Leg Box Squats x 10, 8, 8, 6 each
and
DB Shin Raises 35lbs x 20, 15, 15, 15

Band Side Walk - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets
and
Band 1-Leg Standing Adduction - Orange x 20 each x 4 sets

Lying Hamstring Curls 55lbs x 15, 12, 12, 10
and
Slow Front Kicks x 20 each x 4 sets

BB Deadlift 135lbs x 10 x 4 sets
and
Band TKE - Purple x 20 each x 4 sets

----

Surfing 1 hour

Tide was predicted to be 3.5 feet, looked like 1 foot and dropping. Got a nice wave right off the bat with a strong carve, then some waves here and there.

----

Belay certified at a climbing gym.

Thought about what it might take to be good at climbing, which is rather different than surfing. Surfing is a bunch of random things thrown at you, and you have to stay fluid. Climbing is a bunch of static things, and it makes sense to have a plan to make it as efficient as possible:

flow, economy, technique, planning

----

Felt like doing some stretching so followed this video:

Didn't like the kneeling groin stretch (tough on my knees), but enjoyed everything else.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am

Monday, January 13th

Surfing 1 hour

It was so damn good when I got out, but the tide plummeted. Dinged up my board after taking a wave about 5 feet down the line, diving off, then taking about 6 waves on my head in two feet of water.

Got some fun waves at the beginning, but was paddling sluggishly and timidly after that and got a bit frustrated.

Spent the session focusing on one group of things, then added a few more ("maximize, detachment") for one small wave and my friend complimented me for throwing up a bunch of spray with that extra focus.

----

Meditation Class

One person showed up, and I felt like "fuck it, I've had enough." Been teaching for nearly 6 years and it's been a struggle the whole time. So I made the announcement that today was the final class. Confirmed from my fitness manager that after next week (for scheduling), I can be done.

Meditation 15 minutes [breath, posture, unattached awareness] + Savasana 3 minutes + Gratitude Reflection

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Tuesday, January 14th

My low back has continued to bother me, so another attempt at core:

Dead Bugs x 4 sets
and
Planks x 4 sets

Surfing 1.25 hours

Didn't notice my low back, first time I can remember not thinking about it while surfing in a few weeks. Performed well: late drops, strong turns, generating speed when I should.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 am

Wednesday, January 15th

Meditation [breath awareness] + Compassion Meditation

Thursday, January 16th - Upper Body Push

DB Bench 55's x 4 sets
and
Machine Flies 100lbs x 4 sets

DB Seated Shoulder Press 35's x 4 sets
and
DB Lateral Raise to Front Raise 12.5's x 4 sets

Triceps Pushdown 50lbs x 4 sets
and
Leaning Overhead Rope Triceps Extension 35-42.5lbs x 4 sets

Cable Twist 15lbs x 4 sets

Stability Ball Side Bends x 4 sets

DB Shrugs 35's-40's x 4 sets

Sahrmann Exercise Level 2/3 x 4 sets
and
Scapulae Push-Ups x 4 sets

DB Side Lying External Rotation 7.5lbs x 20, 15

DB Seated External Rotation 5lbs x 20, 15

Tried to keep a normal curve in the low back and not move it for any of the oblique or tva exercises. Generally good posture on everything else.

----

Still debating what should be on, or if I should even have, a mental checklist.

Rock climbed recently and tried to use the 10-point thing I use for surfing, but it was way too long to be mindful of while doing a new activity.

And tried a 3-point version while surfing and I was both greedy with too many waves and a bit of a coward when dealing with an asshole in the water.

So today, I tried this:

"connect, have fun, be brave, be strong"

Oddly enough, some people asked me out of my seat at a crowded cafe so they could play chess. I was seated at a chess board, and not playing, but there was no other empty seats indoors. I told them I would move if they found me another seat, they were irate about it, but another seat was secured for me before I moved.

Small change, but nice to see a move in the right direction.

----

Meditation 15 minutes [breath awareness]
Last edited by Bram on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motherjuggs&speed
Sarge

Post by motherjuggs&speed » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:33 am

I'm often amazed at how people treat me based on what is, or isn't, in my mind and energy. People seem incredibly aware of other people's intentions in a way that I don't seem to be, or nearly as much. Things like your chessboard incident happen frequently in my life but I've noticed a huge variation in how often these things happen based on several factors, but one is my mindset. A small difference to me seems to make a big difference to other people in how they treat me and respond to me.

As far as mental checklists, I have felt like I needed them but I wonder how much they were/are useful. One problem I have is that the IPS (and set of procedures) that works well for me to do solitary jobs does not work well at all when around other people. So much so that I often get sort of hurried along in the grocery store i.e. the manager will open another checkout just to get me out of the store quicker. I used to think it was because I seem so stressed but I wonder if there's something else that seems to come out of me when I'm focusing on a job, something that people don't like.

Your meditation class made me think of something, don't know if it's relevant. I've never taught a class, just hundreds of people juggling one at a time, but I find the meta factors seem to matter a lot more than the content. I have seen hundreds of acts, from street to stage, and what the audience responds to isn't just the quality of the show, it's the way the performer, going to use the word manipulates the audience. I know one guy whose show isn't that good but he's amazing at making people think that they've had a good time and that he was great. I think that people want to be both controlled and pandered to at the same time. They want to be treated like kids on a field trip. They don't so much want the experience usually but the experience of the experience. They want to be given a goodie bag, taken by the hand and told what to do, then be patted on the head and told how special they are.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:18 am

motherjuggs&speed wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:33 am
I'm often amazed at how people treat me based on what is, or isn't, in my mind and energy. People seem incredibly aware of other people's intentions in a way that I don't seem to be, or nearly as much. Things like your chessboard incident happen frequently in my life but I've noticed a huge variation in how often these things happen based on several factors, but one is my mindset. A small difference to me seems to make a big difference to other people in how they treat me and respond to me.

As far as mental checklists, I have felt like I needed them but I wonder how much they were/are useful. One problem I have is that the IPS (and set of procedures) that works well for me to do solitary jobs does not work well at all when around other people. So much so that I often get sort of hurried along in the grocery store i.e. the manager will open another checkout just to get me out of the store quicker. I used to think it was because I seem so stressed but I wonder if there's something else that seems to come out of me when I'm focusing on a job, something that people don't like.

Your meditation class made me think of something, don't know if it's relevant. I've never taught a class, just hundreds of people juggling one at a time, but I find the meta factors seem to matter a lot more than the content. I have seen hundreds of acts, from street to stage, and what the audience responds to isn't just the quality of the show, it's the way the performer, going to use the word manipulates the audience. I know one guy whose show isn't that good but he's amazing at making people think that they've had a good time and that he was great. I think that people want to be both controlled and pandered to at the same time. They want to be treated like kids on a field trip. They don't so much want the experience usually but the experience of the experience. They want to be given a goodie bag, taken by the hand and told what to do, then be patted on the head and told how special they are.
People are definitely sensitive to energy, for better or worse. Many a day I've been surfing and felt off physically or mentally, and those days people paddle around me like I don't exist, taking all the juicy waves.

My attempts at trying to control my life via mental checklists has definitely been a rocky one. What works for surfing doesn't work for training people, though each of those approaches does fill me with joy!

My other attempts at something for meditation classes, or for really anything, aside from de-escalating conflicts with "dialogue, kindness, compassion", has just made me batty.

I'm okay with meditation class being not the right thing for me. 5 years and 11 months is an admirable attempt by any standard to do something satisfactorily! On to something hopefully more resonant with me!

Taken on Monday (I was actually thinking about a different set of principles during this pic, and my stance (to me) looks goofy):

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:48 am

Monday, January 20th

First off, I plan on taking a break from all forms of social media until March: no online videogames, Youtube, Instagram, facebook, or here.

Second, as I have written extensively/excessively about my mindset for different things, I have decided for the time being (might be worth 12 hours), to just stick with the two lines that have kept me the happiest.

Surfing: feel, connect, be present, flow, style, look, rhythm, have fun, relax, don't hurry

Personal Training (plus friends, family, everything else): smart, take care, be funny

Third, today's activities....

Surfing 3 hours

Super fun! Went to Sunset Cliffs, and my surfing felt great! Lots of waiting around, cold water, cold winds, but good vibes in the line-up and ahhhh the waves when they came were excellent! Oddly enough, the moment I dipped my hand in the water for that first paddle, I broke out in a wide grin, delighted to simply be in the Ocean. Walking around for an hour or so after I got out, I found myself breathing deeply and smiling with pleasure.

Meditation Class

Today was my final day, after 5 years and 11 months, of teaching for free at the gym I work at. Fittingly, as I was secure with my desire to stop, no one showed up. Haha, ah well! But I wanted to leave good energy in the room, so:

Noting Meditation 15 minutes + Savasana + Gratitude Reflection

Fourth, and finally, my weekly resistance and plyometric program (again may be good for 12 hours).

No more than 20 sets total per workout....3 sets for the main movements, 1 set for the assistance:

Day 1 - Full-Body Athletic

Main Movements:

Dynamic Warm-Up; Explosive/Isometric: Lower Pull, Lower Push, Upper Pull, Upper Push, Core

Assistance:

Bent and Straight Leg Glute Extensions

Day 2 - Lower Body

Main Movements:

2-Leg Press, 1-Leg Press, Calves, Hamstrings - Knee Flexion, Hamstrings - Hip Extension

Assistance:

VMO, Adduction, Abduction, Leg Extension, Ankle Flexion

Day 3 - Upper Pull

Main Movements:

Chin-Ups, Rows, Abs, Biceps, Reverse Flies,

Assistance:

Forearm A, Forearm B, Lower Traps, TVA, Upper Traps

Day 4 - Upper Push

Main Movements:

Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Obliques

Assistance:

Internal Rotation - Elbow by Side (2 sets), External Rotation - Elbow by Side (2 sets), TVA, Neck A, Neck B, Serratus

So long for the time being!

bramwiley@hotmail.com

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Well, my 5.5 weeks of no online presence are up.

Biggest exercise highlights were some killer days surfing and this new BMX park that opened up in San Diego:

January 20th-January 27th

M - Meditation, Surfing
T - Rest
W - Surfing, Legs
R - Upper Pull
F - Surfing, Upper Push
S - Surfing, 7 hours straight PR
U - Surfing

January 28th-February 2nd

M - Surfing
T - Meditation
W - Surfing, Meditation
R - Surfing
F - Surfing, Upper Push
S - Meditation
U - Surfing

February 3rd-February 9th

M - Rest
T - Meditation
W - Meditation
R - Biking, Upper Pull, Meditation, Yoga
F - Biking, Upper Push, Legs
S - Surfing
U - Rest

February 10th-February 16th

M - Full Body, Rock Climbing Indoors
T - Rest
W - Meditation
R - Legs
F - Surfing
S - Surfing, Upper Pull, Meditation
U - Upper Push, BMX Park

February 17th-February 23rd

M - Surfing
T - Surfing x 2
W - Full-Body
R - Surfing
F - Upper Push
S - Rest
U - Upper Pull, Running

February 24th-March 1st

M - Yoga
T - Surfing
W - Surfing, Meditation, Legs
R - Surfing x 2
F - Surfing
S - Surfing, Legs
U - Rest