Seeahill: once more into the fray

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Seeahill: once more into the fray

Post by seeahill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:15 am

So, about a year and a half ago I undertook a new Himalayan trek. I was 75, but I felt I could do it. 5 years earlier I walked to Everest Base Camp, then trudged up a nearby peak, 18,500 feet. But at 75 the more recent trek beat me like a gong. I'm used to walking with people decades younger, but this time they just left me in the dust. It's the first time I've failed to complete an expedition. (Well, I completed it but rode a horse 3/4 of the way.)

This threw me into a complete funk. I spent a long time rebuking myself for not training harder. For my lack of balance on rough climbs. What was all that about? It was, I had to admit, about age. I'm old. Fuck, 75 is ELDERLY. I fell into the Slough of Despond and stopped any kind of training. Drank a bit and felt sorry for myself every goddamned day.

It took almost a year and a half to recover emotionally.

So now I'm back. At 76, I'm probably not going to be doing long arduous expeditions anymore. Ok, I know I have to accept that.

But, in a year and a half of moping, I gained 30 pounds and can't do things that aren't really that difficult. Things like some of my easier mountain walking paths. Things like finding myself winded just carrying a 40-pound bag of dog food from the grocery store to my car.

Recently, for reasons unknown, I've felt better. I made the decision to train again, but this time it's going to be old guy training.

Here's the template for the first couple of months:
Diet: 5-2. (Eat normally 5 days a week. Eat only 600 calories two non-consecutive days.) It's worked for me before.

Cardio: Walk two or three miles a day working up to 15-minute miles on trails. (I may not get this in the first month.)

Strength: DDP yoga. I hope that it will help balance and work out some problems I have with my back and knees.

I've done a week of this regimen so far and feel better, both physically and emotionally. So far the DDP works for strength but I may go into some bodyweight stuff in a few months.

I'll check in next month.

Weight March 1, 243. Looking to lose a pound a week.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Seeahill: once more into the fray

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:19 pm

It's a solid plan, stick to it and it will work. Some thoughts:

-Swimming is excellent for older bodies: low impact, builds strength and cardio, no chance of falling.

-Yoga is great for balance but taichi actually has the strongest association with improved balance and also improves strength and mobility. Sometimes there are free or low cost program connected to senior centers or community centers. If you don't like it, don't bother.

-Gaining 30 lbs in a year is not for anybody past the age of three, and you should really think about how that even happened and how to prevent it. Clearly, your physical issues, while age related, are just as much psychological.

-Consider some testosterone replacement therapy (TRT); it can help with improved mental outlook, clarity, and drive. I've never done it, but if I was 75 and feeling the way you are, I would give it very serious thought.

-Posting more here will keep you accountable; I look forward to recording my workouts as the formal "checking of the box". Also, people may point out patterns that you miss. I will be watching this space.
"Remember that you have no companion but your shadow." -Genghis Khan

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:14 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll swim this summer for a few months when our outdoor pool is open. And when the river warms up.

I don't anyone who does taichi, but I'll look around.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:40 am

Da fuck, C.A., you're 76??!! I just thought you were emotionally pulled together and that's it.

Alright, then, back into that fray, motherfucker. I'll be watching this journal too, and now that I know that you're my parents' age, I'm hoping to see you set an example for reprobates like Mak and Smet--high moral tone, clean living, good values, maybe some Bible verses. Get to it, sir.
leansoliddogs.blog

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:08 am

Thanks Jason. I can do all that except for the clean living part.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 pm

If you can lose a pound a week to your target weight I will donate $200 to the Livingston Food Bank. If you accept this wager, let me know your target weight and starting/end date.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 pm

I will accept the challenge. Thank you for that very generous bit of motivation.

I started my program on March 1 at weighing in at 243.8. My goal was 215, a pretty good walking around weight for me. But I'll take my goal weight to 210. That's a loss of almost 34 pounds. So that's 34 weeks which is just a little less than 5 months.

Let's call the day of reckoning July 31. I took pictures when I started. So I can send pix for verification. But, yeah, I know: who wants to see a fat 76-year-old guy with his shirt off.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:06 pm

And, just to up the stakes a bit, if I don't make it, I'll donate $200 to your charity.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 pm

seeahill wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 pm
I will accept the challenge. Thank you for that very generous bit of motivation.

I started my program on March 1 at weighing in at 243.8. My goal was 215, a pretty good walking around weight for me. But I'll take my goal weight to 210. That's a loss of almost 34 pounds. So that's 34 weeks which is just a little less than 5 months.

Let's call the day of reckoning July 31. I took pictures when I started. So I can send pix for verification. But, yeah, I know: who wants to see a fat 76-year-old guy with his shirt off.
Deal. That date has special significance to me so let's see this through. Also, no need for counter-bet but if you want to, sure. The main thing is don't get distracted from the goal.

JasonC
Staff Sergeant

Post by JasonC » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:00 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:38 pm
If you can lose a pound a week to your target weight I will donate $200 to the Livingston Food Bank. If you accept this wager, let me know your target weight and starting/end date.
Damned fine idea. I'll donate $100 to the local search & rescue team if you make it, OR 4oz. of my semen to a San Francisco sperm bank. Your choice.

No counterbets, though. I value your seed highly and everything, but my family is complete.
leansoliddogs.blog

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Tim, congrats getting back on the horse. I would just add to avoid all or nothing thinking after a long layoff. It's especially easy to fall into waiting for a perfect plan when tiny steps can be cumulative.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:32 pm
Tim, congrats getting back on the horse. I would just add to avoid all or nothing thinking after a long layoff. It's especially easy to fall into waiting for a perfect plan when tiny steps can be cumulative.
You tryna cost me $200 or what brah.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:54 pm

seeahill wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:55 pm
So that's 34 weeks which is just a little less than 5 months.
It is?

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Cahill gettin' shaky on his maff.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Yeah, well, the due date is still July 31.

Starting weight: 243.8

Today's weight: 236

That's a loss of 78 pounds.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:22 pm

Jason,
Thanks. I was on Search and Rescue here for several years. I know just where the money should go.

Spells,
I appreciate the caution. It's going well so far. I'm not starving myself and taking the occasional day off from most training. (I walk every day, either a little or a lot. But never less than a couple of miles.) As a semi-retired guy, work or travel is not going to get in the way.

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm

March 1: starting date weight: 243.8
March 15: 236
March 31 weight: 236.
That's right, I didn't lose any weight in the last two weeks. Stress, I suppose.

Still, it's a monthly loss of 7.8 pounds.

I'd like to revisit Jason's and Fat Cat's challenge since my original maffs were off.
Fat Cat wrote:
March 1 starting date.
I now have 26 pounds to lose
That's 26 weeks. 6.5 months.
Which would put me due date on October 15.
Due date: October 15

Is that acceptable?

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:19 pm

As for "workouts," well, the good news is that even at 76, you can feel your body get stronger.

I'm doing DDP "Yoga," which is really an amalgam of strength training (10-second push-ups and squats), isometrics, exercises I recognize from rehabbing my back after surgery, and even some actual yoga. Sessions I found difficult a month ago are now fairly easy. I do find that recovery takes longer.

I walk 2 to 5 miles a day, and the easy trails feel pretty easy again. I haven't tried to put much speed on them yet.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:37 pm

seeahill wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:07 pm
March 1: starting date weight: 243.8
March 15: 236
March 31 weight: 236.
That's right, I didn't lose any weight in the last two weeks. Stress, I suppose.

Still, it's a monthly loss of 7.8 pounds.

I'd like to revisit Jason's and Fat Cat's challenge since my original maffs were off.
Fat Cat wrote:
March 1 starting date.
I now have 26 pounds to lose
That's 26 weeks. 6.5 months.
Which would put me due date on October 15.
Due date: October 15

Is that acceptable?
We find these terms to be acceptable, but why did you change from 7/31 to 10/1?

seeahill

Post by seeahill » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Because --- if my math is correct, which it sometimes isn't --- that makes it a pound a week. That was my original plan. I think if you lose it much faster than that, it tends to pile back on.

So July 31 would be a pound and half a week.

Now, frankly, I think I'll reach my goal weight before Oct. 15. Then the deal then would be maintenance, which another of my problems.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Make it happen, the bet's on.