Still not going gently into that good night

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:08 am

Spent last week/weekend on mil duty. Took jumpstretch band with me, used it every day. My back is actually feeling exceptionally well. small victory! Roughly did...
- 2 days of push press with 45 LB DBs 3 x 21, and sets of OLDLs and also worked on one leg squats
- 2 days of about 4+ mile trail runs per day
- An hour's mountain bike ride
- hiking around the airports with the backpack
Should start skiing this week.
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:44 pm

Last 4 days at in-laws. FIL is on roller coaster ride with Leukemia, now in off-site intermediate rehab facility waiting for strength to come back to resume chemo. Hard to see this warrior laid up and decimated by the disease.

Took the band with me, lots of stretching and exercising with it every day. also the McGill exercises. Religious about it. Back took a turn for worse for no reason whatsoever while there, having felt great prior and been careful to avoid anything that might set it off. WTF? A long run, set of burpees, and 10 sets of 3 pullups/6 pushups/12 squats along with a bunch of OLDLs and just chasing kids around playground set it mostly right. No rhyme or reason to it. But exercise is *always* a plus.

Back feels good today. Go figure. Still waiting for cold so skiing can start.

PC Polar Circle Person
Sgt. Major

Post by PC Polar Circle Person » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:10 pm

nafod wrote: Back feels good today. Go figure. Still waiting for cold so skiing can start.
Sorry to hear about your FIL. If there is one thing about back pain, it is this: sometimes there is absolutely no logic at all.

Damn, I'm looking at my KTM every day and am itching for a nice, fast and furious forrest ride, but I just don't fuckin' dare to take the risk. I feel that just about any sudden movement could seriously fuck up my back again. I wouldn't dare to ski either, but the day will come. BTW, did you do the endurance tests from the McGill book to find out about any imbalances? That's the first thing I'll do as soon as my back is not hurting any more.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:46 pm

Mr Sticks wrote: Damn, I'm looking at my KTM every day and am itching for a nice, fast and furious forrest ride, but I just don't fuckin' dare to take the risk. I feel that just about any sudden movement could seriously fuck up my back again. I wouldn't dare to ski either, but the day will come. BTW, did you do the endurance tests from the McGill book to find out about any imbalances? That's the first thing I'll do as soon as my back is not hurting any more.
Like you said, everyone's back is different. I have the same situation where leaning forward feels good and leaning back sets up a driving pain, but it is always localized, never sciatica down the leg. Getting up in the morning sucks royally, as I'm major league stiff. By nightfall I usually feel OK.

I can ride my bike no problems at all. In fact, I've dumped it a number of times and had no back issues, much to my surprise. I keep focus on maintaining a straight back when I ride. What can kill me is getting into my car (twist and bend) or some seats. I'll get a sudden spasm/pulled muscle with no warning whatsoever. I've learned to keep my core in strong tension when I do these things, ala McGill. Also, I have to be careful coughing and sneezing. Do it in a bad position, and serious pain follows.

Haven't tried the McGill endurance test yet, but I think I will. I'll be seeing a PT starting in January,and I'll ask them to run it on me. I have been doing his exercises, and I think they help.

Best of luck with yours. It really does suck. If I find the magic solution, you'll be the second to know.

- break, break -

Did stretch bands, bridges, 2 x 21 push press with two 45 LB DBs, and 20 OLDLs per leg.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:49 am

Rode bike into work and back to check emails while on vacation. About 1 hour total. Dumped it while trying to go through a rock garden with clipless pedals. Doh.

Back tiiight this morning, feels real nice right now after the ride and after mucho wine at a party.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:51 pm

Got chills last night, and then sweats. I guess I do have a cold and not just allergies.

Did a Helen-ish workout. 3 x (approx. 400m sprint, 21 x 50 LB DB swing, 12 pullups). Subbed 21 OLDLs with the DB for the last round of swings as it just feels better on the back. Mailed it in at 15 minutes, which is not far from double my best ever time.

Some ring holds and worked on front lever over at the playground while kids ran around.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:23 pm

1+20 bike ride. First 20 minutes were hill climb on paved and gravel up to Kettle Trail, vert gain unknown but not chump change. Kept pulse 160-170 range. Then single track up to ridge and along it. Finish with coast back down hill.

Clipless pedals...good in that I'm more efficient and it keeps my feet connected to the bike when blowing downhill through a rock garden, bad in that I keep falling over when I inadvertently stop and can't unclip in the rocks, good in that I'm getting skilled at falling. Long & short of it is that I lack confidence going into the serious shit while clipped in, espeically uphill, and need to practice releasing. It's a different motion.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:33 pm

Goals for the year (subject to adding and deleting for one week as I think it over)

1. Get below 200 LBs. Currently at 210-215.
2. Get a bombproof kayak roll. Take it into some serious surf in cold water and prove it.
3. Be relatively pain-free with the back
4. Ride the gap without dabs
5. Get the boat hull stripped
6. Get my local mountain run time below 31 minutes to plateau (best ever was 28 minutes)
7. Get back on the rock. Go do some bouldering.
8. Single leg squat
Last edited by nafod on Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:41 am

First visit to PT today. She noted that my illio-sacral joint is rotated (left rotated forward relative to right) and also reduced compliance in vertabrae. Did some exercises to realign joint, said that next visit we will "hit the core hard". Concurred with everything I've been doing recently re McGill's book. I'll bring it next time, ask if they wil evaluate the endurance balance.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Yesterday: Did the WOD with mods.

WOD was 5 x (400m sprint and 10 thrusters with 135)

Did the 5 sprints along road, but subbed 2x100 LB thrusters (DBs) and then 3x push press. Back felt pretty good, but I can tell I've lost a lot over the last 8 months.

Did my bandstretches and then PT homework (left leg IS joint push, leg squeeze).

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:35 pm

Just finished second PT session for lower back pain. Consensus in talking with PT is it looks to be far more of a pelvis alignment issue than a back/vertebra thing. But some of each. A lot of inflexibility pulling things out of whack too.

First 1/2 hour was deep tissue massage and myofascial release. Left was *far* tighter than right, which makes sense. Good kind of pain.

Then she showed me a series of new stretches, all of which were useful, and worked on basically keeping core tight. Used words like "co-contraction" etc. straight from McGill. I'm ahead of the game on exercises and concepts thanks to McGill, so next visit should get into the weight room (the PT shop also is a fitness center and has a strength trainer on staff).

You can tell they usually deal with fat people that are out of shape, and there's a calibration going on as she learns what I'm able to do already.

EDIT: Did 30 pullups and 30 ring dips at home in sets of 3. Pullups were done using various holds on hangboard. All followed by PT homework.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:10 am

Did 100 burpees mixed in with replacing grips on bike with new ones. Did them in sets of 20/10/....10/20. For the last 50, each set was done as fast as possible without actually jumping. Pulse after last set of 20 was 170.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:42 am

Slack night. Just some OLDLs, a couple of minutes support on the rings, and worked on front lever a bit. Lofted the body plan for the boat. Planning a big ride tomorrow. Will do PT homework later tonight.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:17 pm

Think I overdid it the last few days, back is sore today.

4+ mile run on standard loop. Will do mountain ride later today.

Edit: Ride was about 10 miles, 1000' el gain, half paved and half gravel. Cool temps, nice ride.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:38 am

Yesterday was slacker day, some PT homework.

Today, visit to PT. Sore starting out and never felt great while there, but felt great later. Lots of core work today.

Home: 45 pullups on hangboard done slow and 45 ring dips in sets of 3 on the minute.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Did 4 rounds of 400m+ sprints and 12 swings of the DB. Back twinged a bit. so stopped early.

Heavy PT homework followed.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:25 pm

On Thursday, not too much. PT in the morning, She keeps emphasizing range of motion of the back, and I keep telling her that makes it worse, and let's just work on stabilization exercises. Took wife out to celebrate birfday, drank a bunch of beer. PT homework at night. I have to say, the jumpstretch bands rock.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:55 pm

Supposed to ski patrol today, but got rained out. Should be up and running Tuesday.

Warmup was jumping jacks for 2 minutes then 10 burpees. Did 3 pullups/3 dips/6 OLDL on the minute for 10 minutes, alternating legs for the OLDLs. So total of 30 pullups, 30 dips, 30 OLDLs for each leg. Stopped early.

Supports on the ring (1 minute, hands parallel to body) worked on front lever, did leg raises and l-sits, worked on planche.

PT homework in front of the TV.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:11 pm

Basically took all week off, in order to focus on PT. Week started out bad, but back's feeling pretty good now. In PT did some stretches, and PT keeps emphasizing range of motion for flex and extension while I keep mentioning that extension seems to aggravate things. Did deep tissue massage on left side, I'm still sore from it. A lot of isometric contractions in lumbar machine, planks, bridges.

Did ski patrol today, only about 4 runs. Skiing didn't aggravate the back it appears. A little tentative. Had to pick up and carry a 60 LB sled onto chairlift while in skis right off the bat which worked things more than I expected to. I'll ice it tonight, go again tomorrow.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:09 am

Skiing...2 hours. Got the 3 year old on the slopes and riding the chairlift with me.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:42 am

Visit to PT this morning. More soft tissue massage, introduced some more bridges, squats and lunges. I'm following their directions strictly.

Ski Patrol tonight, 4 hours of skiing. Also ran sleds for practice. Skied on the slalom fischers. Back is t-i-i-ght right now. Real test is how it feels in the morning.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:48 am

Last night: skied with kids for a couple of hours.

Today: Flew to LAX this morning. Did a 45 minute run up to Chantry Flats in LA National Forest. Estimate 3 miles and 1800' vert gain. Back down gave a 1+20 total.

Edit: Measured route with odometer, 3.2 each way for a 6.4 mile total.
Last edited by nafod on Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:29 am

Another trail run, this time at Pt Mugu State Park. Ran/hiked about 3 miles up the mountain, guesstimate 1500' vertical, then back. About 1+20 again. Nice view of the ocean from peaks.

Did PT work in hotel room.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:41 am

Weekend: Nothing. Busy working.

Today, drove up to Chantry Flats in San Gabriel Mountains, did the creek trail loop as a run. Three miles out and 2.5 back on cliff edge and streamside tracks, beautiful. 1+08 total. Not sure elevation gain.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:56 am

Spent most of day flying home from LAX. Ski patrol tonight, 4 hours. Soft snow under the chair lift. Couple of practice runs with the sleds.