Still not going gently into that good night

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:18 am

Ski patrol, 8:00 - 4:00. Very cold with good snow, skied the Atomics. Worked the 1000 steps and single leg skiing drills. Three sled runs. Worked a nice accident with big bloody cut on the shin where some guy took it in the leg from a snowboarder's edge at speed. Fun.
Don’t believe everything you think.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:15 pm

Ski patrol: 8:00 - 3:00. Back felt amazingly good this morning, considering I expected to be a cripple after skiing most of yesterday. A number of times yesterday I felt it crack and move, poor man's chiropractor I guess. Feels even better now. Fricking cold out, below zero at opening, only got up to 10 degrees at noon. Worked some single leg ski drills, short turns length of the runs. Soft snow on edges, bullet-proof down the middle. Skied the Atomics, Fischers are in for tuning. Treated a broken wrist. Nice day!

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Out in CA again. Did run up in Pt. Mugu state park yesterday, about 2000' total elevation gain, about 6+ miles is my guess. About 1+40 total trip.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Way too busy over last 4 days. Two days mil duty in CA, then two days in Vegas, then fly home.

Shoveled snow for two hours today. Going skiing tonight.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

Ski patrol yesterday, skiied about 5 hours of it. Didn't work any accidents.

I put my back at 70% now, which is leaps and bounds better than when I first started this log. Basically can ski without concern of screwing up the back, knowing I can ignore the occasional pain spike. I attribute the improvement to a now unstructured workout program of just doing varying stuff outdoors, and the exercises from the Phyiscal Therapist and the book.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 am

Ski patrol, 3-10. Back was acting up a bit, unfortunately. skiied the Fischers, worked on carved turns, railroad tracks.

Worked a college frat/sorority tube party later. Extremely drunk folks. Some extraordinarily hot coed was kneeling in the hay at the bottom of the track laughing, having rolled off her tube. I told she might want to move before she got hit by the next tube rider.
"Huh?"
She got absolutely steamrollered by the next tube with two people on it. Flattened her down and ground her face in the snow as it rode over her from foot to noggin, bouncing off her tush. Nice.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 am

Ski patrol, very nice conditions. Skied the Fischers. Soft snow on sides of trails. Snow/sleet/pellets most of the night.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:52 pm

Shoveled wet concrete in the form of 6 inches of snow for an hour. Then shoveled it again as the township snow plow shoved a new load in my driveway.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Ski patrol...4 hours. Ran a couple of sleds. Skied the Fischers. Back is t-i-i-ight now.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:09 pm

Too lazy to post recently. Multiple trips to West Coast. Bought a bodyboard and surfbaord to use while at mil duty at Mugu. Excellnet break.

Mucho skiing...this is probably the last week. Should be in the 60's when patrolling Tuesday. Soon it will be time to get out the bike and hit the trails.

Back has been better than at the worst, but not perfect. Still stiff as hell in the morning.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Went for 4+ mile run, standard route. Tossed in 5 burpees at start. Did 20 squats with 50 LB dumbbell after run. Time to start slimming down a tad.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:11 am

nafod,

i would bet a dollar running at 215 is killing your back. Skiing probably nowhere near as bad. Ab work with feet on floor like pushing trucks, good mornings, woodchoppers, russian twists, cable standing absis the ticket IMHO.

On a sad note, my brother is going to a @fit cert in NC this weekend. Told him to go by "Mr X".

jack
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:45 am

powerlifter54 wrote:nafod,
I would bet a dollar running at 215 is killing your back. Skiing probably nowhere near as bad. Ab work with feet on floor like pushing trucks, good mornings, woodchoppers, russian twists, cable standing abs the ticket IMHO.
I've cut back (that was my first run in a month) and do more biking now. But I've been at 215 for about 10+ years with a brief drop to 200, and ran a marathon at 215. I'm 6'3", so it's mostly not fat. I run trails, and the constantly varying load and movements always seem to help. Lots of humping up hills. Minimal mindless street running. I always feel better after, for sure.

I'll fold in your ideas into my back stuff (planks, stretching, strength).
On a sad note, my brother is going to a @fit cert in NC this weekend. Told him to go by "Mr X".
I've always thought they were grossly overpriced. Have him give a full report.

Break: Skied 4 hours on soft, soft snow, in short sleeves. Did some short radius turn runs. Skied the Fischers.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:49 am

nafod wrote: Lots of humping up hills.
I find that this is an excellent way to run, then walk down. Works good when you're fat. Like Nafod.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:28 am

Trail run at First Landing State Park in VA Beach. In and around and over dunes. About 6 miles, 1 hour. Sweet.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:05 am

Shoveled snow for over an hour. About 6 inches on the driveway. Shoveled it into a monster pile for the kids to play on. If we get a couple more inches, should have enough for a snow cave. Fingers crossed.

Skiing tomorrow on fresh snow. Yeeha! Wasn't it on Tuesday that I skied in short sleeves all night?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:38 am

Skied from 9-6, fresh tracks for the first two hours. Excellent conditions. No accidents to work.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Dug snow cave in big mound in yard. about two hour's worth of effort. Might try camping in it tonight.

More skiing, 3 hours with the 3 year old and 7 year old. Princess caught air on her first jump, junior dude went to the top of the mountain for the first time.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 pm

nafod wrote:Dug snow cave in big mound in yard. about two hour's worth of effort. Might try camping in it tonight.

More skiing, 3 hours with the 3 year old and 7 year old. Princess caught air on her first jump, junior dude went to the top of the mountain for the first time.
That's the kind of day that makes being on the planet worthwhile.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:08 pm

DrDonkeyLove wrote:That's the kind of day that makes being on the planet worthwhile.
True dat!

Tuesday: Ski patrol, 6-10. Conditions started soft, became challenging as temps dropped below freezing and slush balls turned to ice balls. Skied the Atomics. No accidents. Skied hard all night.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:34 am

Picked up new bike from shop (Specialized Tricross...like a road bike by sturdier) and rode it home. About 4 miles. Looking forward to a more serious ride.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:40 pm

Skiing: the slopes are closed for the season so I had to "earn my turns" by hiking up and skiing down. Did it twice carrying my gear, 500' vertical each trip. Brought sleds down. Temps in mid-40's, nice day.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:03 am

nafod wrote:Skiing: the slopes are closed for the season so I had to "earn my turns" by hiking up and skiing down. Did it twice carrying my gear, 500' vertical each trip. Brought sleds down. Temps in mid-40's, nice day.
Sounds like a hell of a workout. Nice.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:07 pm

I was surprised at how torched I was after the hike-n-ski. It was nap time following. :-({|=

Today: 1 hour ride on new tricross bike. Not sure distance, hilly ride.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:29 pm

Bike in to work and back, 30 minutes each. Took mountain bike. Decided me and clipless pedals and mountain biking are incompatible. They're OK on the roadster.

Finished up arbor on side of house. Did some pullups and ring supports.