Training Log

Post your training journals here if you like. I'll make back-ups to avoid losing your data.

Moderator: Dux

greenghost
Gunny

Training Log

Post by greenghost » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:19 pm

KB 1 Arm Swings using fat handled 110 lber. ( 100 + 10 )
6 sets of 3/3 done using a switch on the fly. All reps head high.

15 minute rest

SLDL using 25 lb plates. 345, 395, 445, 395, 345 for triple.

JS Big Blue Band Good Mornings for 30 reps. Explosive

JS Standing Ab Curls same band for 5 sets of 10 reps.

The 25 lb plates really increase the ROM. Future SLDL workouts will include same drill using 10 lb plates.

outofhere
Private

Post by outofhere » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:28 pm

Glad to see your log back online; Good training!

Cheers,

W.H.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:27 pm

Jesus. That's brutal. I have a newfound appreciation for just how tough swinging the bigger kettlebells can be. Especially on the hands.

A snatch grip on SLDLs can make a nice change, except you usually have to strap in.
Also, for kicks, I've started doing RDLs with a wide stance and this really shifted the emphasis from hamstrings to glutes.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:20 am

Morning ( Maintenance Training )

Long Cycle Dead Clean + Presses done using 2 70s for 5x5.
KBs placed outside of legs. All reps done in a touch and go manner.

Evening

DB Flat Bench using 2 90s for 5x5

Band work for both triceps and shoulders.

Bodyweight @ 201

Tomorrow DE Posterior chain training. ( Clean High Pulls using 150 KB )

Shaf, yes heavy swings are great for the grip. You can adapt quickly to this type of training as long as all other grip work is kept to a minimum.

Yes I used a clean grip for all the SLDLs except the last 445. No problem since it's the first time doing these in years.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:35 am

Looks good Eddie and curious what kind of band work you do for triceps and shoulders. Can you provide some examples?

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:16 pm

Eddie,

In your particular training style, you use both a Max Effort, and a Dynamic Effort Day, similar to a kind of hybrid Westside Training Method.

Have you used the Repetition Day or Conjugate training as a means of improving your strength??

Another quick question. Has the short rest period, low rep, high set training, had an impact on your resting pulse/bp/body leaness, etc??

I, and many others really enjoy your posts. The simplicity and effectiveness of your training is the height of elegance.

Tom Furman

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:13 am

Clean High Pulls done using 150 lb. KB for 10 sets of 3 reps.
45 seconds rest used between sets.

1 Arnm Swings done using same 150 KB for 3/3. All reps slightly higher than waist level. Switch made on the fly.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:17 am

Mike,

I use JS bands for both high rep shoulder work ( presses ) after I do any overhead pressing just to get some blood flow into the area whick helps me to recover. Other shoulder drills include band pull aparts that hit mainly the rear delts which I like to do after DB benching. The tricep work is done with a band attached to a pullup bar for either low rep pushdowns using a heavy band or high rep work using a smaller band.

Thanks

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:42 am

Tom,

Yes ! Right now I am focusing on both DE and ME for a few Posterior Chain Movements which include SLDLs, Clean High Pulls ( using heavy KBs ) , and 1 arm KB Swings and 1 arm KB Snatches. These are done on a rotating basis every 2-3 days. For high rep work I am using either JS Heavy Band GMS or bodyweight rev-hypers. Also, SLDLs will be done using either 25 or 10 lb plates for the purpose of increasing the movements ROM. DLs are not being used in this training cycle. However, I might switch up the ME SLDLs with some Safety Squat Bar GMs using both fixed weight and chains.

Pressing movements will consist of DB incline at ( 30 degree) flat bench
and 2 KB Dead Cleans & Presses. These will not be done using a DE and ME template but more of a maintenance workout. I will be including Floor Presses using DBs and band work for the tris. I got DBs up to 120s so that should keep me busy for a while!

I don't keep track of my bodyfat levels but at 6' 2" I'm 201 and quite lean. I don't wish to add any weight not even muscle due to the fact that it hampers my plastic left knee. The less weight I carry the better.
That's also why I can't squat.
I do follow a WD eating plan and only eat at night. Been doing it for a few years now. I never eat breakfast or luch and prefer to just have black coffee. I don't count calories either. At night I eat mostly organic meat Bison and organic vegetables and plenty of coconut oil. No sugars, no starches not even grains. I never get hungry eating this way and I always train on an empty stomach. The level of concentration is awesome this way. As far as supplements I am a big believer of multi vitamin and minerals and 2-3 grams of C with every evening meal. No creatine or protien shakes either. Only whole foods and 1-1.5 gallons of poland spring water daily. Hope this helps!

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:02 am

greenghost wrote:Mike,

I use JS bands for both high rep shoulder work ( presses ) after I do any overhead pressing just to get some blood flow into the area whick helps me to recover. Other shoulder drills include band pull aparts that hit mainly the rear delts which I like to do after DB benching. The tricep work is done with a band attached to a pullup bar for either low rep pushdowns using a heavy band or high rep work using a smaller band.

Thanks
Thanks and I will try incorportaing some of those moves into my routine. Presses with TNT cables has helped my Kb presses tremendoulsy.

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:42 am

Very informative Eddie. Your posts are part of my training notebook. Serious advice for anyone in the Iron Game.
Anyone starting out with Powerlifts, or KB's take note. This is research + experience. Very cool stuff. My wife and I are using buffalo or 4% fat beef with turkey breast, shataki mushrooms, spinach, and some low fat cheese. I consume a ton of turkey breast as well. I am about 9% fat at 6 feet tall. My wife is in the low 120's at 5-9 and squats around 210 when that is in her cycle. She currently is enjoying H2H with Tactical Lunges and Slingshots. She does alot of Turkish Getups alternated with pullups and static pullup holds in the top position. I only eat 3 meals a day, but the evening one is the big one. My daily would be a small amount of oats or flax. whey, almonds and walnuts, berries, and some Udo's. Lunch is cottage cheese with the same mix. Dinner is the above or a LARGE salad with Olive oil, Udo's or MacNut Oil (macadamia nut from Australia).
Way too much coffee and not enough H2O. Take a look at Macadamia Oil from the Hampton Diet Book. I will research the Coconut oil. Sounds interesting.

Tom Furman

bill fox

Post by bill fox » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 am

But wait, the WD makes you makes you skinny and weak, just ask Bangs or Garm. You guys really need to start tossing back some whole milk. I've noticed Maxwell is really weak too.

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:26 am

Eddie is one tough bastard. I enjoy his take on subjects as the Occam's Razor wading through all the nutritional and training data. I mean, KB's, Jumpstretch, Powerlifts, Westside, Diets, Martial Arts, Guns, PR-24 ( I hate these by the way, just my opinion). Just like I enjoyed lunch with Steve Maxwell, I would enjoy eating Buffalo with the legendary Green Ghost.

Tom Furman

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:26 am

Neutral Grip Pullups done using 80 lbs of chain for 5 sets of 3 reps.
First time doing these in about 2 years. ( see DD past training logs )

In doing these, I start at the bottom with arms fully extended and the resistance in my bodyweight only. As I pull up the chain starts to load until all 80 lbs is engaged at the top. ( half-way thru movement 40 lbs is loaded ) All reps done in an explosive manner. No Queer Kipping, Either!

Neutral Grip Dumbbell Presses done using 2 65s for 5 sets of3 reps.
Really hits the tris hard!

I never use KBs for presses except when I'm doing Long Cycle work.

Tomorrow , SLDLs and ME 1 arm Swing Snatch work using fat handled KB.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:30 am

Tom,

I hate side handle batons as well. Major flaws with this when used as a weapon or tool. Nothing like a straight stick!

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:31 am

Morning

Swing Snatches done using Fat Handled 115 ( 100 + 15 ) for 10 sets of 3/3. All reps were to head level and switch was done on the fly.

Evening

SLDLs using 10 lb. plates. 365, 385, 405, 385, 365. The bar holds 17 ten lb. plates per side so I had to add a 20 lb leg weight onto the middle of the bar to achieve the 405. Unreal ROM using the 10s!

Finished with JS Heavy Band Ab Curls.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:33 pm

Eddie-

The bison; grass or grain fed? The more I read, the more I'm beginning to be swayed toward grass-fed meat.

The SLDL; rounded or flat back? I seem to get more muscle involved, from the backs of my knees to the base of my neck, when I go rounded back. I've yet to have a problem but I'm still a little concerned about it and have kept the weight relatively light.

Still can't help but be impressed with your workouts.

Steve

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Another question. I have read alot of the coconut oil from the web pages, and looked at the Coconut diet at Barnes and Noble. Alot of the material seems anecdotal. I know MCT'S are created from Coconut oil and they are a natural component of mother's milk, etc. CCN oil has short chain fatty acids which according to Zone guru Doctor Sears, reduce the amount of glycogen from the liver. This amounts to about a quarter pound or 500 calories. The Zone Diet of course would keep you out of the ketosis range and not allow you to become entirely fat adapted. I would imagine that CCN Oil would help a low carb diet eater vs Zone or Supermarket Diet. I see no problem if you are eating veggies and lean protein like you and me. I wonder what the effect would be on the starch eaters?

Another issue. Metabolism. The thermic effect of food is like 10%. That is 100 calories per 1000, so it is no big deal. I could see some granola head switching to a pound of bison 3 times a day geting a bump in Specific Dynamic Action from the carb to protein switch but I wonder where the data is about metabolic increase from the CCN oil.

I take very concentrated fish oil from Life Extension org., eat walnuts, almonds, and include olive, Udo's, and MacNut oil in my diet. Heavy influence of Sears, Loren Cordain (cool guy), and Udo Erasmus, who I met and questioned at a seminar. (Very bright man also).

I'd love to hear your opinions on Coconut oil in your diet. I think you are the only guy who has more nutrition books than me!
By the way, tried 15 sets of LC Clean and Press outside the knees last nite. I am still getting the form, but it feels more like lifting something heavy for real vs a sport lift. Interesting.

Tom Furman

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:45 pm

Steve,

The Bison that I eat is from the Great Range Co. It's antibiotic and hormone free but it is grain fed and not grass. Been eating it almost daily for a few years.

The SLDLs are done with a slightly rounded back. I've never injured my back when doing any kind of DL pulling action but do use these extreme ranges with caution.

Thanks

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:03 pm

Tom,

The coconut oil that I use is from the Wilderness Family Naturals Co.
I used to buy from Tropical Traditions but about 2 years ago they changed to a different type of oil and it had a strong chemical tastes to it.
If you go to the Wilderness Family Naturals site they have 2 good books on coconut oil called The Healing Benefits Of Coconut Oil and Saturated Fat May Save Your Life book , both by Bruce Fife. I buy the oil in 5 gallon quantities and it lasts me about 8-9 months. It's the only oil that I use. I stir fry and sautee all my veggies in it.
Yes, I am a low carber and have been so for years. I don't drink at all , haven't ate fried food in about 10 years and very rarely eat grains, starches or or sugar ( once or twice a year ). No refined foods either, or milk. Just meat, eggs, veggies , some fruit. ( no corn since it's a grain )
Some nuts from time to time. Some great reading is Sugar Blues, Neanderthin, and The No Grain Diet . BTW, I've haven't had the flu or cold in over 10 years and I do have young twins.
Yeah, placing the KBs outside of my legs is the only way that I'll ever do the L/C Dead Clean + Press. Great Drill!

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:15 am

Flat Bench Dumbbells using 2 80s for 10 sets of 3 reps.

JS shoulder band drills

Abs.

Sua Sponte
Gunny

Post by Sua Sponte » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:29 pm

Thanks.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:09 am

Posterior Chain ( Backoff Workout )

Swing Snatches done using fat handled 115 lber. for 5/5.
All swings were head high and switch made on the fly.

Ab Curls done on swiss ball.

Tomorrow Push Day!

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:44 am

Pushups with 100 lb plate on back done for 10 sets of 5 reps.

1 set of Long Cycle Dead Clean + Presses using 53s for 20 touch and go reps.

JS band work ( upper body drills )

Tomorrow DE Pullup using chains.

greenghost
Gunny

Post by greenghost » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:12 am

Morning,

Tested 2 KB Swings with 110s for 1 set of 3 reps. Have not tried these in 2 years but need to see if I want to include them in my posterior chain max day. Few Dead Clean singles were also tested using 2 100s with KBs placed on the outside of the legs.

Evening,

DE Pullups done using 40 lbs of chain added to bodyweight for 10 sets of 3 reps. Weight at the bottom is bodyweight only and at the top it's bodyweight + 40. All reps explosive and started with a pause at the bottom.

JS Standing Ab Curls.

Off Tomorrow.