Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy, John Rawls

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Hebrew Hammer
Chief Rabbi

Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy, John Rawls

Post by Hebrew Hammer »

The book is Rawls’ lecture notes for his introductory course at Harvard on moral philosophy. Rawls is one of the leading philosophers of the 20th century. His Theory of Justice, later revised as Political Liberalism set forth a rational basis for communicating ideas in a democracy with different political and religious beliefs so as to achieve a consensus on a rational and reasonable view. Among his most-lasting ideas is the notion of trying to reason behind a veil of ignorance where you wouldn’t know your position in a society - - rich, poor, black, white, rich, poor, christian, jew, etc, and you would try to reason to what is most just.

Rawls uses Kant’s ideas of moral philosophy as a basis for reasoning and believing that reason can lead to moral answers. And he uses Hegel’s ideas of situating ideas in a political society to bridge how one gets from individual moral decision-making to societal moral decision making.

His lectures at Harvard focused intensively on Hume (who looked more to sentiment or intuition as a basis for moral thinking), Kant and Hegel, and exploring very carefully what they meant, digging behind their words, trying to fill in gaps or ambiguities in their thinking to give the strongest version of their views. He also covers some of the utilitarians, Spinoza, and Leibniz.

Even if you have some background in Hume or Kant or philosophy generally, these books are very difficult. But they definitely give you a sense of what it meant to take a philosophy course at Harvard from one of the greatest philosophers of the twentieth century.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Lectures on the History of Moral Philosophy, John Rawls

Post by Pinky »

Hume thought morality was simply a sensation. (This, and his statements about Christianity, upset people.) Kant's "moral imperative" stuff struck me as much less logical than Hume's work moral philosophy. Hume was at least starting from the observation that people "felt" moral outrage, etc. The stuff I've read of Kant's was basically a stodgy, long-winded version of "morality is what I have defined it to be".

So, I don't like Rawls' Kantian bent, but I do think the "veil of ignorance" is something that's sadly missing from political discourse (because 99.9% of voters aren't capable of it).

But that's all an aside. This sounds like a worthwhile read. Thanks for the review.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

I remember reading Theory of Justice a few years back. My impression was that if you don't accept his assumptions about human nature, and of absolute goods, the rest falls apart. If you accept his assumptions, it's worth taking very seriously. He does write well though, and his lectures sound like worthwhile reading.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Andy77
Lifetime IGer

Post by Andy77 »

I do my own morality. Fuck them guys and their Harvard.
Obama...'I burned your house down and saved you from slipping in the bathtub." ...Greg Gutfeld.