Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
friedquads
Pillowbiter

Hoka Mafate Trail Shoes

Post by friedquads »

http://www.hokaoneone.com/en/d/mafate-unisex_78.html

I demo'ed these at my local shoe pimp's place. If you saw the Dirt Diva's footwear recently, well if you were able to take your eyes off of her hot tattooed curves long enough, you would have noticed that she was wearing these fucking weird shoes that had a massive sole and resembling something that could be the cousin of those Sketcher Shape-Up shoes. Looks can be seriously deceiving. Think about how barefoot running is. You land virtually flat-footed or more on the forefoot, no heel striking unless you want to wreck your feet. Generally, if you wanted to wear a shoe that exuded minimalist, you would wear Inov-8's or the new line from New Balance or you would wear huaraches and live out your fantasies as a Tarahuamara Indian of the Copper Canyons. Well, the Hokas do the same shit. However, these have a serious advantage.

1.) When you run in them, you're forced (yes, forced) to land on the forefoot more. Just like barefoot running or running in minimalist footwear.
2.) The cushioning is so massive that you can step on a rock or root and it won't stab you in the foot through the shoe. Minimalist shoes or barefoot running can't do this.
3.) Unlike most running shoes that have a max life of 300-500 miles, these can last for 700 miles before they're toast.

When I ran in these, I can feel my feet the way I would when running barefoot. It was a trip! But I didn't feel any rocks stab me and with that confidence, I was able to run faster than I would normally when barefoot.

In a nutshell - More protection than a regular running or trail shoe, WAY more protection than minimalist or barefoot, but with all the same benefits as if you were to be wearing minimalist. It's the answer to everyone who wants to run minimalist but doesn't want to sacrifice protection that a thick sole provides.

Downside to these things: They're fucking expensive! $170 for a pair!

But if you factor in the durability and that you might not need to get shoes nearly as often, it seems somewhat justified.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Hoka Mafate Trail Shoes

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

What about increased risk of turning an ankle on a rock or root? Looks like a long lever between ankle and the bottom of those things if you slipped and got caught.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

I wonder how these compare to Newtons? There is a trail version of the Newtons but I'm not really interested in it. I've just about worn out a pair of Newtons and was planning on getting another pair. I might check these out to see what they're like. If I can find them.

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

friedquads wrote:It's the answer to everyone who wants to run minimalist but doesn't want to sacrifice protection that a thick sole provides.
So it's an answer to something that doesn't make sense in the first place?

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Matt don't be a prick...this shoe business is serious shit.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

BucketHead wrote:
friedquads wrote:It's the answer to everyone who wants to run minimalist but doesn't want to sacrifice protection that a thick sole provides.
They're barefoot running shoes for strippers.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Post by buckethead »

Barefoot running has two important distinctions

The first is the skin of your sole in contact with the ground.

The second is the full engagement of all those muscles, etc in your feet and toes

All footwear puts some layer between the ground and your sole. This can be compared to a condom. Very useful at times but it's nowhere near the same experience. As well, the experience is directly proprtionate to the thickness/stiffness of the sole.

"Freeing" footwear like vibrams and feelmax do a great job with the second distinction - opening up the movement in your feet.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky »

The Unflushable DEATHTURD wrote:
BucketHead wrote:
They're barefoot running shoes for strippers.
Even more minimalist:

Anyway, Buckethead is right. A "minimalist" shoe with 3 inches of extra soft foam in the sole makes no sense.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Crust Bucket
Lord of the thighs

Post by Crust Bucket »

I dunno, the soles remind me of shoes worn by someone that has one leg shorter than the other.
syaigh wrote: The thought of eating that giant veiny monstrosity makes me want to barf.
You're an ASS!
ImageImage

Topic author
friedquads
Pillowbiter

Post by friedquads »

I'm not saying these are a perfect replacement for barefoot, but they are good for someone to transition without killing their feet as quickly than someone running in Vibrams.

Best thing I can suggest is for you guys to demo these yourself (don't buy, just demo) and you'll get what I'm saying. I was really skeptical at first too, but I was very surprised at how they felt from the bottom of the foot on up. Also, unlike most trail shoes, these things are WIDE. Wider shoes have a bigger base and bigger bases cause less ankle turnings on trails. They also weigh about the same as Vibrams and other minimalist shoes, REALLY light weight despite the odd look.

The only thing that turns me off is that damn price tag, which is the only reason why I'm not buying these things right now.

But if you want to compare this to a condom Buckethead, you can look at it like this - All the same sensation of fucking with better knowledge that your dick isn't going to bust through it, get caught on some clit piercing that is the size of a tribal spear, and will let you fuck a few more hours on end without having to reach for another condom anytime soon due to quick wear-n-tear that most other rubbers provide.
Jay wrote:BTW, warriors kill shit. The only things you kill are exercise science and the board short display at Target.
I choose to kill people with kindness. Oh, I should also mention "kindness" is the name of my samurai sword.