ESPN: 30 for 30

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

JimZipCode

Re: ESPN: 30 for 30

Post by JimZipCode »

msr2112 wrote:I think my favorite part was when they talked about how he [Bo] nonchalantly ran up the outfield wall after making a catch. Worth a watch particularly if you were around at that time.
I was at the game where he did that, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I should say, I was at a game where he did that – I think he did it a few times. The funny thing was, when you saw it in the stadium, it seemed like a pretty reasonable thing to do. He caught the ball, going near full speed, and you're thinking "Oh shit, he's going to hit the wall!" The O's lost outfielder Steve Finley for the season on a shoulder separation hitting the wall like that, though I don't remember if that was before or after this game. Anyway, Bo barely decelerates at all, you wonder if he's going to try to take on the wall like a linebacker. Then he runs up the wall, decelerating with the large muscles in his legs, and you're like "Oh that makes sense."

He made another casually incredible play in the game, this is maybe the most amazing baseball play I've seen on my life. On a routine single to center, Bo threw out the runner at first. The ball dropped in front of Bo, and the batter should have been safe by a mile. But Bo charged that ball so goddam fast, and threw it so goddam hard, the ball got to first base before the batter. I just sat there blinking. "Did that just happen?"

He was ridiculous in the on-deck circle. He had the butt and thighs of a power athlete; the other ballplayers looked spindly next to him. He was so much stronger and faster than everyone else on the field, it was tough to process.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

JimZipCode wrote:
msr2112 wrote:I think my favorite part was when they talked about how he [Bo] nonchalantly ran up the outfield wall after making a catch. Worth a watch particularly if you were around at that time.
I was at the game where he did that, Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I should say, I was at a game where he did that – I think he did it a few times. The funny thing was, when you saw it in the stadium, it seemed like a pretty reasonable thing to do. He caught the ball, going near full speed, and you're thinking "Oh shit, he's going to hit the wall!" The O's lost outfielder Steve Finley for the season on a shoulder separation hitting the wall like that, though I don't remember if that was before or after this game. Anyway, Bo barely decelerates at all, you wonder if he's going to try to take on the wall like a linebacker. Then he runs up the wall, decelerating with the large muscles in his legs, and you're like "Oh that makes sense."

He made another casually incredible play in the game, this is maybe the most amazing baseball play I've seen on my life. On a routine single to center, Bo threw out the runner at first. The ball dropped in front of Bo, and the batter should have been safe by a mile. But Bo charged that ball so goddam fast, and threw it so goddam hard, the ball got to first base before the batter. I just sat there blinking. "Did that just happen?"

He was ridiculous in the on-deck circle. He had the butt and thighs of a power athlete; the other ballplayers looked spindly next to him. He was so much stronger and faster than everyone else on the field, it was tough to process.
Didn't Bo also do that in his only all star game while Ronald Reagan was sitting at the mike? I thought he actually ran up the wall while catching the ball. Amazing athlete. It's possible that some of these crazy stunts led to the destruction of his hip or leg causing him to miss a surefire HOF football career?

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

DikTracy6000 wrote:Amazing athlete. It's possible that some of these crazy stunts led to the destruction of his hip or leg causing him to miss a surefire HOF football career?
I don't think so, I think the hip injury was the result of a tackle during a football game. His femur was pulled out of the hip socket during the tackle.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

Topic author
Holland Oates
Lifetime IGer

Post by Holland Oates »

JimZipCode wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:Amazing athlete. It's possible that some of these crazy stunts led to the destruction of his hip or leg causing him to miss a surefire HOF football career?
I don't think so, I think the hip injury was the result of a tackle during a football game. His femur was pulled out of the hip socket during the tackle.
Yep.

He said in the doc that when he popped his hip out it severed the artery that supplied blood to the cartilage.
Southern Hospitality Is Aggressive Hospitality

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: The couch thread

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Magic Johnson...paid off by the govern,met to attempt to forestall the spread of HIV in the black community funny how that fucker has lived large and healthy ever since

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Another thumbs up for "You don't know Bo"

Amazing athlete and a not fucked up guy even with a tragically short athletic career.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Crossposted from Bo Jackson review in TF.

Dewey Bozell story. Sort of an inspiring bit of throwaway..Interesting story about a guy released due to the work of the innocence project after 26 years in jail. Gets his first professional fight at 52. Worth a watch but there are some really suspect bits that look like a set up by Dewey's post jail benefactor, Golden Boy Productions. Anyone else seen it?
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Nixon's National Champs is the latest offering. It's about the politics of the college football's national championship and the nation's head politician in 1969. Texas and Arkansas played and were ranked #1 & #2, and #3 Penn State was desperately trying to get into the national championship picture; Nixon was there for political reasons. Lots of footage of Joe Paterno and Nixon and his staff. It doesn't go out of it's way to make anyone look bad, or really remind anyone of the negative sides of either.

I was looking forward to watching it, but it was superficial and poorly put together. Moderately interesting if you're a football fan; moderately interesting if you're a fan of political stories-- mostly meh by 30 by 30 standards. Not recommended.

A little background on the game and why it was such a big deal for a lot of reasons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1969_Texas ... tball_game

Interesting that Paterno and Nixon have similar reputations now.
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Jay

Post by Jay »

I think sometimes they reach too hard for these 30 for 30 stories.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

The U was a great movie. The NFL Network's A Football Life is fantastic by the way.