True Detective

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: True Detective

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:This is McCounaughey being himself. It's perfect.
What? I don't know the guy, but this character looks like nothing he's done before.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

I noticed that too, Cave.

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

ButterCupPowerRanch wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U[/youtube]
That was a very tense scene.

Hate to be Johnny Buzzkill, but McConnaughey's room clearing techniques (~:30) sucked. It's called "flagging" your weapon and you don't want to do that.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

MM's character is gonna fuck Harrelson's wife. It's almost painfully obvious at this point.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:MM's character is gonna fuck Harrelson's wife. It's almost painfully obvious at this point.
I would fuck Harrelson's wife and daughter (the old one). Hard.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

Shafpocalypse Now wrote:MM's character is gonna fuck Harrelson's wife. It's almost painfully obvious at this point.
Yeah, early on I was thinking the same. From the moment that Marty "didn't want to talk about" the personal issues that caused the falling out between he and Cohle, and his overly dramatic defensive responses in the locker room ("don't you EVER talk about my wife!"), coupled with his wife's kind of creepy desire to have private conversations with Cohle, you could see this almost-unavoidable cheating was the "personal business" between them.

But, now that the show took sort of a big turn in ep. 5, it would be nice if they made it look that obvious so that they can swerve us with it later on.

I hope that, at the very least, Cohle gives Marty a come-uppance on irony and hypocrisy when he goes apeshit about his wife and partner hooking up...

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

P.S. - I know the smart among you "don't click links," but "The King in Yellow" is available on Google Books if you are out of stuff to read...

http://books.google.com/books?id=qHgKEq ... CCcQ6AEwAA

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
What? I don't know the guy, but this character looks like nothing he's done before.
Totally self indulgent philosophical inebriate with a toddler like fallacy of central position?

Umm...that's EVERY character he's played. Dude is painfully in love with the sound of his own prose. It's perfect.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Totally self indulgent philosophical inebriate with a toddler like fallacy of central position?

Umm...that's EVERY character he's played. Dude is painfully in love with the sound of his own prose. It's perfect.
He just reads it, he doesn't write it. Blame casting if you think they're all the same. They've found his niche.
Tantum validus superstes

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

The single shot scene ending last week's episodes was probably awesome to you too.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17UQz7ANv-o[/youtube]

The "hallway scuffle" in Oldboy is definitely one of my favorites...

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Cave Canem wrote:
Blaidd Drwg wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:

He just reads it, he doesn't write it. Blame casting if you think they're all the same. They've found his niche.
Uhhhh..You misunderstand. I think the casting is brilliant because this..
Is MM..in a nutshell. My understanding is they tried not to cast him and he persisted relentlessly until they just gave up and let him have it.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

As predicted, though not quite as expected. Harrelson's getting spoiled in this series.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Ding..Ding..Ding...We have a winner.
Tantum validus superstes

Croatoa

Post by Croatoa »

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Re: True Detective - SPOILER (dialogue only)

Post by Dirt McGirt »

So, the way everything played out with 'the thing' was interesting in that it was orchestrated, but what got me this time was earlier in the episode.

<><><><>Mild SPOILER QUOTE<><><><>

I know some of the rest of you have LE experience, and whether you were a cop, trooper, MP, whatever, when he says to the girl after she confesses "they're going to be hard on you in prison; if you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself..." I actually said out loud "Holy shit!"

Man, you pulled that in the interview room, you would be in a world of hurt. Crazy as hell, this damn show... can't wait til next week.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Croatoa wrote:Image
Lucas Hood banged her first.
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

Hanglow Joe
Gunny

Post by Hanglow Joe »

Speaking of Woody Harrelson, this was a blind reveal item today. it was posted blind on 9/26. Getting it done with the Puerto Rican Princesses back in the day.

Blind Items Revealed
September 26, 2013

I'm always fascinated when I hear about a couple hooking up that is so out of the realm of anything you could have imagined and then to hear about this threesome is something that took a few minutes to process. It happened back in the day although two of the three people involved are A list but back then only one of the three was A list and he just barely. Let me give you the cast of characters in this one. The two women are the same women just a few years apart. Not exactly the same woman because one is way louder than the other. #1 was a B list actress at the time. Now she is probably C+. She knew #2 from some work they had done together on a television show and #2 was starting to make a name for herself. Now she is an A list diva and likes to think of herself as someone who is multi-talented. Well, she was pretty talented back in the day according to #3 who is an A list mostly movie actor now from a huge huge movie franchise who used to be in a huge huge television franchise. #1 and #3 made a movie together and hooked up and a couple of times #2 came along for some threesome fun. #3 is not shy about sharing the story if you ask.

#1: Rosie Perez
#2: Jennifer Lopez
Television show: "In Living Color"
#3: Woody Harrelson
#1 & #3 movie: "White Men Can’t Jump"
Movie franchise: "Hunger Games"
Television franchise: "Cheers"

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Weird article. "Yeah, who ever heard of a bankable movie star hooking up with younger, attractive, up-and-coming costars they had an on-screen romance with? Crazy."

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

BEST SHOW ON TV

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I see a bunch of faggot critics bitching that the last two episodes (including tonight's) were slow and superfluous. I think ultimately the show is about the detectives, not the crime, and filling in the blanks will make the finale that much better.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

I don't recall if I posted in this thread or another but it was a disparaging remark about Woody Harrelson's performance. I was wrong. He is definitely pulling his weight, especially after tonight's episode. I'm anxious to see if the "Forrest Gump" lawnmower guy has a part in the finale.
Tantum validus superstes

Dirt McGirt
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dirt McGirt »

I really liked the development of the last couple of episodes, but frankly the last scene of the last episode was the first thing in the entire show I have not liked because I felt it was "cheap;" that is, when I saw *that's* who they just happened to stop and talk to, I said out loud "come on, that's ridiculous..."

Topic author
johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Who's going to die? And what will be his cool exit line?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

johno wrote:Who's going to die? And what will be his cool exit line?
Maggie coming through to make sure Harrelson is going to be OK suggests somebody is not going to be OK.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

The director &producer have made the point over and over it's about the detectives, not the crime