LL Bean 850 Down Jacket

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

LL Bean 850 Down Jacket

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

I hadn't given them much attention because I hate that they sell rec kayaks to people who then kill themselves on Lake Michigan, but they get so many best-of reviews from Wirecutter/Sweethome for their products that I checked out their down jacket when I was looking for something other than a wool coat, which I don't like biking with.

First, I'm pretty surprised how light down coats have gotten generally, but this weighs nothing. My last down jacket was in the late 90's and this is a fraction of the weight.

I don't think the cold rating is as realistic as what's cited (-30F), but very good for someone looking for a light casual warm jacket.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Re: LL Bean 850 Down Jacket

Post by TerryB »

I'm disappointed that this review is unaccompanied by a picture. I'm certainly not going to google it.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKdEdzHnfU[/youtube]

Have you been in any documentaries since this one, Spells?

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:My last down jacket was in the late 90's and this is a fraction of the weight.
Maybe they forgot to remove the feathers from the bird.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Turdacious
Lifetime IGer
Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan

Post by Turdacious »

Herv100 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKdEdzHnfU[/youtube]

=D> =D> =D> =D>
"Liberalism is arbitrarily selective in its choice of whose dignity to champion." Adrian Vermeule

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil »

Turdacious wrote:
Herv100 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKdEdzHnfU[/youtube]

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Hahahaha! Fucking white people.

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Speaking up yuppalicious, if you are tall, Eddie Bauer is the bomb. And they've jacked the quality of their Ascent Line gear way high, so the stuff wins all kinds of reviews. LLBean kind of let me down by reducing the styles of pants they have tall sizes for.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

I had one of those huge llbean duffels for like10 years.finally wore a hole in one corner, sent that fucker back and got a brand new one.

Not sure why you'd have the impression that people who shop there are going to kill themselves in a kayak, it's in hickville New Hampshire. Not like these shitheads out here in LA that wear Patagonia,arcteryx, north face, etc to go shopping at the grove or "hiking" in the Hollywood hills.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Not sure why you'd have the impression that people who shop there are going to kill themselves in a kayak, it's in hickville New Hampshire. Not like these shitheads out here in LA that wear Patagonia,arcteryx, north face, etc to go shopping at the grove or "hiking" in the Hollywood hills.
I think I've talked about this here before, but it's not impression; it makes the news frequently and I've personally talked to a guy on the water who had nearly died except for a USCG pickup. I see these guys out in rec boats with a fucking coat on for warmth at least every few weeks when paddling regularly.

Lake Michigan is essentially a freshwater ocean, which most of the year calls for:
1. A sea kayak with bulkheads and a spray skirt
2. Wetsuit/drytop or drysuit.
3. PFD
4. Training
and either:
a) marine radio, re-entry-paddlefloat/ability to roll when fatigued or
b) paddling with a buddy 100% of the time

You could maybe argue the radio is overkill, but everything else is really the bare minimum. Experienced people out alone would have flares, radio, & a spare paddle.

The problem is that kayaking is one of those activities that don't seem as obviously dangerous as say, scuba diving. In part, that's because you can buy a recreational kayak (no bulkheads) at places like LL Bean that don't sell most of that other stuff, don't train, and won't necessarily make sure you have before letting you take it out on the water. A proper kayaking outfitter isn't unlike a scuba shop or gun range. They're not going to hand a partial list of essential gear to a complete beginner and send them on their way.

So your beginning paddler goes out on the lake with no spray skirt. A wave comes over the bow, flooding the cockpit and destabilizing the boat. It capsizes, the paddler doesn't have re-entry tools or skills, isn't dressed for immersion, and if he isn't rescued PDQ he either drowns (if he has no PFD) or dies of hypothermia if the water temp isn't in the 80's (rare).

Arguably this is the novice's fault, but the sales & marketing are part of what lulls a beginner into a false sense of security.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Just ordered one of these jackets (see my link,just to keep proto away!).http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norwegian-Bivvy ... rkt%3D4%26
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Fuzzy Dunlop

Post by Fuzzy Dunlop »

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:Not sure why you'd have the impression that people who shop there are going to kill themselves in a kayak, it's in hickville New Hampshire. Not like these shitheads out here in LA that wear Patagonia,arcteryx, north face, etc to go shopping at the grove or "hiking" in the Hollywood hills.
I think I've talked about this here before, but it's not impression; it makes the news frequently and I've personally talked to a guy on the water who had nearly died except for a USCG pickup. I see these guys out in rec boats with a fucking coat on for warmth at least every few weeks when paddling regularly.

Lake Michigan is essentially a freshwater ocean, which most of the year calls for:
1. A sea kayak with bulkheads and a spray skirt
2. Wetsuit/drytop or drysuit.
3. PFD
4. Training
and either:
a) marine radio, re-entry-paddlefloat/ability to roll when fatigued or
b) paddling with a buddy 100% of the time

You could maybe argue the radio is overkill, but everything else is really the bare minimum. Experienced people out alone would have flares, radio, & a spare paddle.

The problem is that kayaking is one of those activities that don't seem as obviously dangerous as say, scuba diving. In part, that's because you can buy a recreational kayak (no bulkheads) at places like LL Bean that don't sell most of that other stuff, don't train, and won't necessarily make sure you have before letting you take it out on the water. A proper kayaking outfitter isn't unlike a scuba shop or gun range. They're not going to hand a partial list of essential gear to a complete beginner and send them on their way.

So your beginning paddler goes out on the lake with no spray skirt. A wave comes over the bow, flooding the cockpit and destabilizing the boat. It capsizes, the paddler doesn't have re-entry tools or skills, isn't dressed for immersion, and if he isn't rescued PDQ he either drowns (if he has no PFD) or dies of hypothermia if the water temp isn't in the 80's (rare).

Arguably this is the novice's fault, but the sales & marketing are part of what lulls a beginner into a false sense of security.
Valid points. Had read as more of a generalization.
Ed Zachary wrote:Best meat rub ever is Jergen's.

Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Yeah, I've pulled kids out of Lake Michigan whose parents just let them float out into the 60 degree water, they get caught in a current, and then pushed a half mile from initial point and can't get in. It's fucking cold in July

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Rveresible bivvy jacket (one side sand,other green).Light and warm.
Attachments
10933740_10205940692891911_2274395265185629611_n.jpg
10933740_10205940692891911_2274395265185629611_n.jpg (10.89 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
You`ll toughen up.Unless you have a serious medical condition commonly refered to as
"being a pussy".

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Jacket in its bag.My helmet and a G3 mag for size comparison (spelling on that probably wrong).
Attachments
10931310_10205940702492151_6075270901042766754_n.jpg
10931310_10205940702492151_6075270901042766754_n.jpg (43.2 KiB) Viewed 6705 times
"being a pussy".

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

A cock pic would have been cool Bobby.

Bobby
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bobby »

Shapecharge wrote:A cock pic would have been cool Bobby.
Didn`t want to dwarf the sofa.
"being a pussy".

TerryB
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TerryB »

Bobby wrote:Rveresible bivvy jacket (one side sand,other green).Light and warm.
Now there's a jacket.
"Know that! & Know it deep you fucking loser!"