Eat Bacon, Don't Jog

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Eat Bacon, Don't Jog

Post by Shafpocalypse Now »

Grant Petersen, the Rivendell Bike guy, wrote this after his conversion to low carb paleo after discovering he'd adapted to riding all over the place.

First off, it's kind of funny, especially the illustrations.
Second, it's totally the kind of book he's going to wince about 3 years from now after his low carb paleo zealotry has worn off.
Third, it's clear he doesn't understand his decades of riding have given him an aerobic base where all the short duration, high intensity conditioning stuff he does now works very well for him, should he continue, like Mark Twight (with Crossfit) he will find that he needs the base to work at the peak. Since he bikes everywhere, he might not every find this out on his own.

Overall, it's worth a read.

Read it in epub format on an ipad.

I'd give it to someone who needs a more extreme lifestyle makeover.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

Re: Eat Bacon, Don't Jog

He is definitely a disciple of Taubes...he's got a bit to learn about what insulin does, and should know carb eating doesn't automatically lead to diabetes, and that cherry picking studies doesn't make something the only way to do it.

IMO, it was entertaining enough to look past that stuff.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

I hadn't heard of that - sounds like an interesting enough read.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

For sure a Taubes guy. Grant has links to some of Taubes' youtube videos on his site.

I really enjoyed his first book, Just Ride, about how to take the racer/spandex faggotry out of the simple enjoyment of riding a bike. He even touches on HIIT and low carb in that book in a couple of chapters about off the bike fitness.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Dave Scott is recommending cheese, eggs and butter, among other things, for his triathletes.
"Tell A.P. Hill he must come up."

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

Bob Wildes wrote:Dave Scott is recommending cheese, eggs and butter, among other things, for his triathletes.
Seems like he was doing that 20 years ago too, at least I have a vague recollection of a movement towards more fat/less carbs in the diet of high end triathletes with Dave involved.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Kirk wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote:Dave Scott is recommending cheese, eggs and butter, among other things, for his triathletes.
Seems like he was doing that 20 years ago too, at least I have a vague recollection of a movement towards more fat/less carbs in the diet of high end triathletes with Dave involved.
Maybe he did. I am not a triathlete.

I do know that he was almost a Pritikin type when his first, maybe only, training book was published, so I thought this was a major change/

Ericc
Sgt. Major

Post by Ericc »

Bob Wildes wrote:
Kirk wrote:

I do know that he was almost a Pritikin type when his first, maybe only, training book was published, so I thought this was a major change/
Yeah, he was vegetarian/near vegan through his prime.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Ericc wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Mark Allen was coached by Maffetone who was recommending similar things in the early 1980s. Thus, he may have had a higher fat diet.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Alfred_E._Neuman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Alfred_E._Neuman »

I think most gooroos, and especially actual ultra endurance athletes, have come around to the notion of training low carb and racing high carb.
I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbor's dog.

Bob Wildes

Post by Bob Wildes »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I think most gooroos, and especially actual ultra endurance athletes, have come around to the notion of training low carb and racing high carb.
I can see that in the triathlon world. The original distances they raced in Scott's and Allen's heyday took a full work day to complete.

The Kenyans that have numerous sub 2:05 marathon runners supposedly eat about 80% carbs.

Topic author
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer

I think most Tri and marathon winner eat pretty typical Enduro diets.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves »

I liked the book, but it's got that quality of "truthiness" and uncompromising zealotry that (as Shaf said) isn't going to hold up so well 3 years from now.

"Just Ride" was a classic of its kind.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

Alfred_E._Neuman wrote:I think most gooroos, and especially actual ultra endurance athletes, have come around to the notion of training low carb and racing high carb.
Perhaps 'gurus' but it's still fairly uncommon from what I've seen. Triathletes discuss it but they will try anything new.

Kirk
Gunny

Post by Kirk »

Phaedrus wrote:
Ericc wrote:
Bob Wildes wrote:
Kirk wrote:

Mark Allen was coached by Maffetone who was recommending similar things in the early 1980s. Thus, he may have had a higher fat diet.
Yep, googling some pics of them I believe it is Mark Allen that I was thinking of. I said the recollection was vague. ;) I also remember there being some energy bars out that were considered kind of novel for their 30/30/40 nutrient breakdown with a few triathletes being figureheads for them. This was during a time where I was using mountain dew as my personal energy drink for my 50+ mile cycling days so even that memory is likely faulty. All I've got going for me at this point in life is faulty memories. :)