Book: Pursuing Consciousness by Peter Ralston

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Book: Pursuing Consciousness by Peter Ralston

Post by nafod »

Full title is Pursuing Consciousness: The Book of Enlightenment and Transformation. This is a follow-on to The Book of Not Knowing that was discussed in an earlier thread.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=212494&

A great book. At 280 pages, it is a less daunting read that actually fits into your luggage for taking on a trip. Yet content-wise, it is as dense or more so than the predecessor. Full of underline-able tidbits. Ideally would be read after The Book of Not Knowing, and he refers back to it regularly, saying the topic is covered in more detail in the other. But it is still definitely worth reading cold.

Even though the material is redundant to the previous book in parts, it's stuff you need to hear multiple times from slightly different angles, and the new book definitely has new insights. Between this book and the previous one, Ralston had an 8 month-long apprenticeship program in Mind Stuff, the results of which seem to have heavily informed the book. Key takeaway is that Enlightenment and Transformation are two different tasks. Enlightenment does not directly result in transformation (yet most people pursue it for that reason at least partially). But pursuing each supports the other. A transformation means drilling down and identifying the kernels that drive your emotions, and changing them. Which means changing your self. Which means your self is not immutable, it is a construction, the knowledge of which is a key stepping stone to enlightenment. He separates them out and addresses them separately, while constantly talking about how they support each other. Big lesson learned for him from the apprentices.

Some other tidbits:
- Great section on manipulation versus communication, recognizing we mostly do the former, and striving to achieve the latter when appropriate
- Great short section on intense contemplation and how to make it a practice
- Great section on working with and detaching from emotions, i.e., transformation.
- Great section on relating to and ultimately detaching from your life story.

His writing style is easy to read, and he constantly challenges you to wave the bullshit flag on him if you think it is appropriate. If you read The Book of Not Knowing and got anything out of it at all, you definitely want to read this one.

Check out the table of contents...
Don’t believe everything you think.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Book: Pursuing Consciousness by Peter Ralston

Post by Protobuilder »

I have never actually read anything by him. Would this be a good book to start in or would you suggest one of his earlier works?
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

I took a long time to finish The Book Of Not Knowing and always thought I got a lot out of it, but on reflection it was only a couple things. Those couple of things, however, changed the way I look at everyone - a lot.

I'll get this for sure.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

You're already conscious every day when you wake up

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Phaedrus wrote:I have never actually read anything by him. Would this be a good book to start in or would you suggest one of his earlier works?
I'd just go for this one. If this one sinks the hook, you can back fill from the other.

Donk, I think you'll get a lot out of this one. Bux too.

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

nafod wrote:
Phaedrus wrote:I have never actually read anything by him. Would this be a good book to start in or would you suggest one of his earlier works?
I'd just go for this one. If this one sinks the hook, you can back fill from the other.

Did you read this? I googled the same question I asked you and this was suggested by a few people on Amazon as the starting point due to writing style.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Body-Being-En ... bc?ie=UTF8
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Topic author
nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Phaedrus wrote:
nafod wrote:

Did you read this? I googled the same question I asked you and this was suggested by a few people on Amazon as the starting point due to writing style.

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Body-Being-En ... bc?ie=UTF8
Yup. In fact, I almost recommended it to you as the first read. Different focus from the consciousness book, though. It's all about developing better body awareness and usage and then using it to improve performance in what you are doing. OK, that's selling it short. Anyway, I take stuff from it all the time and use it to play with my skiing, kayaking, MA, etc. More of a gateway drug to his consciousness stuff.
Don’t believe everything you think.