Game of Thrones, does no one care?

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

JimZipCode

Re: Game of Thrones, does no one care?

Post by JimZipCode »

Bram wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pmshould be a pretty kick-ass final season.
I mean, despite the stupidity (the northern expedition, all the space warps), it was a pretty kick-ass penultimate season. Lots of awesome fan service.

I wish they had gone with two full seasons, give the stuff time to breath. Feels like they got past the books, and then hurried to wrap it all up.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”
― William Tecumseh Sherman

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

I mean, despite the stupidity (the northern expedition
Despite the tactical stupidity of this, I couldn't help love it. It brought together a bunch of my favorite Characters from the books. The Hound is one of the best parts of the show,the actor that plays him is great. Tormund, Thoros, and Berrick were great in book and show as well.

One of my great disappointments about the show is that they gave the Brotherhood without Banners and the Bloody Mummers story lines almost no airtime. That was one of my favorite parts of the books.

Herv100
Sgt. Major

Post by Herv100 »

They're going so fast now to wrap it up because:
1)Martin is apparently good at dragging storylines out but not concluding them
2)HBO likes their major series to go only 8 seasons
3)The actors want to be done with it to move on to other things

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

Everyone who slept with a close relative has to die in the last season.

I think the Night King throws it to the Chris Farley-looking Meiaster's common law wife.
Don’t believe everything you think.

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

tonkadtx wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:17 amDespite the tactical stupidity of this, I couldn't help love it. It brought together a bunch of my favorite Characters from the books. The Hound is one of the best parts of the show,the actor that plays him is great. Tormund, Thoros, and Berrick were great in book and show as well.
Totally. The dialogue as the intrepid band was trudging thru the snow was excellent. Some of the most fun of the season.
“War is the remedy our enemies have chosen. Other simple remedies were within their choice. You know it and they know it, but they wanted war, and I say let us give them all they want.”

JimZipCode

Post by JimZipCode »

Herv100 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 amThey're going so fast now to wrap it up because:
1)Martin is apparently good at dragging storylines out but not concluding them
2)HBO likes their major series to go only 8 seasons
3)The actors want to be done with it to move on to other things
They could have gone 8 seasons, but have them be FULL seasons. That would have addressed some of the pacing issues from this season.

I read somewhere that the show is one of HBO's most profitable, so they wouldn't mind having it go longer. I don't know if that's true. I think it must also be one of HBO's most expensive shows.

They shot this season and next in one, so I think all the shooting must have wrapped for the whole series, at this point. (Probably not post-production.) If they had gone two full seasons, paying the cast might become an issue. Jon Snow & Sansa & Arya and to some extent Jaime were nobody's before, but not so much now.

Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

JimZipCode wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:01 am
Bram wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pmshould be a pretty kick-ass final season.
I mean, despite the stupidity (the northern expedition, all the space warps), it was a pretty kick-ass penultimate season. Lots of awesome fan service.

I wish they had gone with two full seasons, give the stuff time to breath. Feels like they got past the books, and then hurried to wrap it all up.
It was a weird season, the dialogue and character chemistry in the last few episodes has been great, as was the action. But there was a host of bullshit: contrived story lines, teleporting ravens and dragons, out of character decision making (who trusts Cersei? Why would Littlefinger think he could split up the Stark girls?).

I think that's why I read ahead, and it looks to be a lot more believable in the season to come.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis