The Magnificent 7

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

The Magnificent 7

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

On par with Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter.

That's the highest praise I can give a western.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

buckethead
Sergeant Commanding

Re: The Magnificent 7

Post by buckethead »

Fuck me. That's a serious good review

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno »

Whoah.
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:On par with Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter.

Outlaw Josey Wales?

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg »

Meh.

I'd rate it on par with the True Grit remake...compelling and entertaining but pretty far off of Unforgiven or the original for my tastes. Found nothing wrong with them departing from the canon a bunch in fact., I even liked some of the biggest departures from the original and the token Indians were both good. IMO not enough character development to give a fuck about anyone in particular...esp the towns people who were just a fleshy backdrop unlike both the 7 Samurai and Mag 7 which focused a lot of the townsfolk.

Highlights.

Denzel looks good on a horse. Little bit of the Bryner excessively fanciness and snobbery but overall really solid portrayal of the main gun.
Pratt is cool...he's not a good actor, not a super physical guy, but he';s just cool and he's got comedic timing.
D'Onofrio-Excellent. Best part of the movie by far for me.
Hawke- also solid, only person who managed to do any character dev. besides Vincent D.
Gatling gun are pretty.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

So is it worth $15 to see it on a the big screen or am I better served waiting for it to hit HBO?
Tantum validus superstes

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Cave Canem wrote:So is it worth $15 to see it on a the big screen or am I better served waiting for it to hit HBO?
Cave wait for it to come out on nextflix and we can watch it together and chill.

Topic author
DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove »

Cave Canem wrote:So is it worth $15 to see it on a the big screen or am I better served waiting for it to hit HBO?
There's a lot of shots of big beautiful western panoramas but it doesn't require the big screen to enjoy.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

The Ginger Beard Man
Sgt. Major

Post by The Ginger Beard Man »

DrDonkeyLove wrote:
There's a lot of shots of big beautiful western panoramas but it doesn't require the big screen to enjoy.
I want to see the redheads cleavage on the big screen.
Blaidd Drwg wrote:Disengage from the outcome and do work.
Jezzy Bell wrote:Use a fucking barbell, pansy.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Shapecharge wrote:
Cave wait for it to come out on nextflix and we can watch it together and chill.
Sounds good considering I never got a camping invitation when I joined this mess 6 years ago.
Tantum validus superstes

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

I liked it, but as mentioned Seven Samurai and The original Magnificent 7 do better town development of the towns people.

I liked Pratt's character. I didn't like how Denzel's character carried his gun. Seemed impractical to me. D'onofrio was great, making me forget who it was.

I thought they made too much use of the gatling gun, or that it did more destruction than it really would have.

On battle carnage and people getting shot, it's right up there with Josey Wales.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 »

j-cubed wrote:I liked it, but as mentioned Seven Samurai and The original Magnificent 7 do better town development of the towns people.

I liked Pratt's character. I didn't like how Denzel's character carried his gun. Seemed impractical to me. D'onofrio was great, making me forget who it was.

On battle carnage and people getting shot, it's right up there with Josey Wales.
I would not be surprised if D'onofrio actually went out and lived with a real trapper for six weeks to get into his character.

Boris

Post by Boris »

I'd give the movie a 'B'. (edit - I like Westerns. If I didn't, I'd grade it lower)

A lot of iconic scenes from the originals (Kurosawa and western) were not there and a lot of the characters and their relationships were underdeveloped. I get it - torn between just redoing the same movie, and creating something new, but it just didn't work imho.

The villian was not compelling at all - hard to compare with Elli Wallach, of course.

A Korean hero - fine, I guess, but they just should've gone full ninja or samurai (or whatever they were going for) there.

D'onofrio, Denzel, and Pratt did well with what they were given, but like I said, they were underdeveloped.

powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

DikTracy6000 wrote:
j-cubed wrote:I liked it, but as mentioned Seven Samurai and The original Magnificent 7 do better town development of the towns people.

I would not be surprised if D'onofrio actually went out and lived with a real trapper for six weeks to get into his character.
Visually impressive movie. Not quite Unforgiven level but just a notch below. Redhead leading townspeople through town notable scene. Private Pyle appearance nice surprise and great character. Denzel as usual outstanding but the handle forward gun position made me scratch my head.

Worth my matinee ticket.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Schlegel

Post by Schlegel »

powerlifter54 wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:

Visually impressive movie. Not quite Unforgiven level but just a notch below. Redhead leading townspeople through town notable scene. Private Pyle appearance nice surprise and great character. Denzel as usual outstanding but the handle forward gun position made me scratch my head.

Worth my matinee ticket.
The handle forward style is a real thing from the era. You draw differently, the arm rising and points forward even before you rotate the forearm upright. Supposedly real fast once you are practiced and stops you from over-rising. Never tried it myself. The point is supposed to be getting the gun pointing forward faster than anybody else, as I understand it. Don't know if it works, but it's really a period thing.
"Why do we need a kitchen when we have a phone?"

milosz

Post by milosz »

Meh, had no heart, which led to no drama and then a coup de grace of the magical near-infinite Gatling gun that can spray every point in a quarter-mile square three dimensional town.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

milosz wrote:...........then a coup de grace of the magical near-infinite Gatling gun that can spray every point in a quarter-mile square three dimensional town.
Sounds almost like the ending to "The Wild Bunch"
Tantum validus superstes

Shapecharge
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shapecharge »

Schlegel wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:

Worth my matinee ticket.
The handle forward style is a real thing from the era. You draw differently, the arm rising and points forward even before you rotate the forearm upright. Supposedly real fast once you are practiced and stops you from over-rising. Never tried it myself. The point is supposed to be getting the gun pointing forward faster than anybody else, as I understand it. Don't know if it works, but it's really a period thing.
The cross-draw was popular with the gamblers because it was easier to draw while seated. Same while riding a horse.

tonkadtx
Staff Sergeant

Post by tonkadtx »

On par with Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter.

Hombre.

One of the most under-rated Westerns out there. Also based on a great Elmore Leonard novel.

j-cubed
Gunny

Post by j-cubed »

Shapecharge wrote:
Schlegel wrote:
powerlifter54 wrote:
DikTracy6000 wrote:

Worth my matinee ticket.
The cross-draw was popular with the gamblers because it was easier to draw while seated. Same while riding a horse.
Except it wasn't a cross draw, not like in the picture below. It was butt forward, but normal hip position.

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw »

Visually excellent, but all that political correctness made me sick. I mean, come on... black, asian, indian, hispanic, even a woman. They forgot to add a middle eastern character and a gay/transgender hero.

I have no problem with any ethnic population, but this is ridiculous. I mean, since when Heimdall was black? What will be next? Some pale norwegian playing Shaka Zulu role? (noooooo, that would be racist).
You ever seen a cycling plumber who wrestles with small calves, forearms and neck? Didn't think so.

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman »

I thought a lot of cowboys were black? Any historians on here?
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

JohnDoe
Staff Sergeant

Post by JohnDoe »

I've read as many as 1 in 4 was black.

Cave Canem

Post by Cave Canem »

Saw it. Meh. I can't understand putting this up with Unforgiven or other Eastwood westerns. I tried to keep an open mind but comparisons to the original were inescapable and this movie came up woefully short. It was completely destroyed for me when that Bogue character uttered the Eli Wallach line, "If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep".

In the opening when the they were bringing out the strongbox for the payroll with "Bogue" written on the side, I misread it as Rogue and wondered why they were bringing in gym equipment.
Tantum validus superstes

syaigh
Sergeant Commanding

Post by syaigh »

11 and 13 year old boys loved it. Pratt was just playing the same character he always plays, but Vasquez, Horne, and Robicheax were compelling characters, the latter two much more so. Im old and losing my hearing so I watch movies with th subtites on. The subtle dialogue makes it a much better movie.
Miss Piggy wrote:Never eat more than you can lift.