IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:48 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject: Luke Cage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:50 am 
Lifetime IGer

Location: Upon the eternal throne of the great Republic of Turdistan
So far seems like a cross between a blaxploitation flick and something you'd see on the CW. Definitely a strong 70's vibe. Commissioner Burrell is great. Cage is being outshone by most of the major characters so far-- that's not a complaint, it's consistent with the character. Liking it so far and will continue to watch.

Post subject: Re: Luke Cage
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:20 am 
Lifetime IGer

I wish he was running for president.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:17 pm 
Lifetime IGer

This thing is like two separate seasons. The first one (1-6) is fantastic. The second series (7-13) starts off great in episode 7 (Alfre Woodard kills it in that one-- IMHO the best episode of the series so far) but starts to come off the rails after that. It becomes like a violent daytime soap trying to (badly) address modern trends in a superhero context with a constantly rotating writing staff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:39 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
This thing is like two separate seasons. The first one (1-6) is fantastic. The second series (7-13) starts off great in episode 7 (Alfre Woodard kills it in that one-- IMHO the best episode of the series so far) but starts to come off the rails after that. It becomes like a violent daytime soap trying to (badly) address modern trends in a superhero context with a constantly rotating writing staff.
Just watched episode 1 and liked it primarily because I like the character and the 70's blaxploitation vibe. And the black undercover cop was hot too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:01 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

No yellow silk shirt and cuffed boots...no chrome headband and chain belt...I ain't watching it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:23 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
No yellow silk shirt and cuffed boots...no chrome headband and chain belt.
Don't be so sure about that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:26 am 
Lifetime IGer

I'm not done with this yet, but, yeah, it kinda veered off, like it was two directors with two different visions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:59 am 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
I'm not done with this yet, but, yeah, it kinda veered off, like it was two directors with two different visions.
They get back to the strength of the series (the villains) in the last two episodes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:09 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

I'm at a little past the halfway point, and I've noted the incongruities mentioned, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.

Quote:
basically I'm Raoul Duke trying to fit into a Philip K. Dick movie remake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:38 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Quote:
I'm at a little past the halfway point, and I've noted the incongruities mentioned, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
I started tuning out hard once the magic bullets showed up. HE'S NOT GOING TO DIE I DON'T NEED TWO GD EPISODES WHERE THE VIEWER IS SUPPOSED TO WONDER IF HE'S GOING TO DIE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Just watched the first 2 episodes with the bosswoman and so far I/we enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:10 pm 
Lifetime IGer

finally finished it

the romance between Claire and Cage was really forced, and I think it would have been best if they just left it out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:46 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

This show was fun, but it was a mess.

The show didn't really start doing what it needed to do until the last couple of episodes. The first half of the season was spent establishing that a guy who's super strong and invincible can beat up street thugs. It was entertaining, but reminded me of the need for a Guild of Calamitous Intent.

Then they spend two episodes establishing that alien super bullets exist, and that Luke Cage might actually have a real nemesis (other than Woodard's character).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 am 
Sergeant Commanding

Season 2 is out. If you liked season 1, you'll probably like it. New villain has potential. I feel some Greek tragedy comeuppance for Luke in the future.

Episode 2 has a good appearance by Gary Clark Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:05 am 
Lifetime IGer

I made it through three episodes. Reg Cathey (Wire alum) is amazing. Alfre Woodard's performance couldn't overcome the bad writing.

The Blaxploitation/Days Of Our Lives ratio was weighted too heavily in favor of the soap opera aspects. The kicker for me was when a one armed drunk chick with no super powers beat the shit out of three big dudes with weapons in a barfight. It's like Lena Dunham was one of the screenwriters.

It's like if they made Black Panther fifteen hours long instead of two without adding any real content.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:02 pm 
Lifetime IGer

Yeah Marvel on Netflix has been a bust IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 pm 

Quote:
Yeah Marvel on Netflix has been a bust IMO.
Jessica Jones still very strong.

The only other season we've been able to finish is Daredevil season 1. Everything else we dropped out of.