Manchester by the Sea Review

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Manchester by the Sea Review

Post by powerlifter54 »

Mixed. Was hoping for a movie in the Boston area movie Tradition of The Departed or Mystic River. Would have been satisfied with the level of Black Mass or The Town.

Not quite. Visually impressive and the movie captures the feel of Boston and it's suburbia, and really does well conveying the feel and culture of folks who live there.

But Casey Affleck overuses the spaced out non responsive pause as his main vehicle for portraying his character's feelings. He may be copying Leo in The Revenant. The ending, like Passengers, makes you wonder why did you have to sit through the movie for this letdown ending.

Lucas Hedges and Kyle Chandler are pretty good as the son and the brother. There is even a surprise Ferris Bueller sighting.

Worth a Matinee viewing.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

dead man walking
Sergeant Commanding

Re: Manchester by the Sea Review

Post by dead man walking »

excellent, but sad. way sad. (and sneaky funny)

a.o. scott's review in the ny times, which i read after seeing the movie, is good.

told my wife she had exhausted her 2017 quotient of emotional family dramas by taking me to see this.

nothing but cinematic frills and action for the remainder of the year.

jesus, that movie was sad. did i mention that?
Really Big Strong Guy: There are a plethora of psychopaths among us.

Topic author
powerlifter54
Sergeant Commanding

Post by powerlifter54 »

Yep as the dad of 3 it was. When the two girls wake him up to the burning sauce I had some eye issues.
"Start slowly, then ease off". Tortuga Golden Striders Running Club, Pensacola 1984.

"But even snake wrestling beats life in the cube, for me at least. In measured doses."-Lex

Boris

Post by Boris »

Yeah, that was tough one for dads to watch...