Rise of Skywalker (spoilers)

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Rise of Skywalker (spoilers)

Post by Bram »

I had zero intentions of seeing this, but fate has a funny way of directing things, and I found myself at a theater last night.

I lasted 20 minutes before leaving, but I'd seen enough to know:

a) the studio heads were continuing to regurgitate the ENTIRE original trilogy, in order.
b) that the subtlety of the Force that I so loved as a kid is completely out the window, e.g., Rey floats, while floating 25 boulders around her.
c) and although it's visually stunning, it's just so hard to connect to. I found myself uninvested in the main character's fates, the inanity of the Emperor's return from the dead, or feeling that any of the heroes really were a team.

The last straw for me was a bunch (or one? who cares...) of welding Sith chimpanzees - I kid you not.

Visually 10/10
Story and Soul 0/10
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Re: Rise of Skywalker (spoilers)

Post by Fat Cat »

I promised my kid I would take him and I'm looking forward to that like a trip to the dentist.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

Topic author
Bram
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Bram »

A billion dollars in budget and 7.5 hours to tell a great story, in an already crafted, rich, and detailed universe.

What a wasted opportunity.
"If we are all going to be destroyed by the atomic bomb, let it find us doing sensible and human things—working, listening to music, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep." — CS Lewis

Protobuilder
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Protobuilder »

It was better than the other pair of films in this trilogy but that's like saying somebody is the least fat person on this bored.

Entertaining, I suppose, but I have no idea who this is supposed to be for. The prequel trilogy receives a lot of push-back but if you've ever watched it with kids, know that it is really for a new generation. This appears to be for people who have never heard of Star Wars and simply want to watch a random movie for a few hours. It doesn't connect with the other episodes in any way and Chewbacca and the droids were the only characters I remotely cared about. In fact, it would have been a far better movie if Rey had died when Kylo did.

Good...they showed that Rey trained for more than half an hour before defeating the most powerful force user in the history of the story. Finn actually had speaking lines. The guy who plays Kylo Ren is a good actor. Screw it, I thought it was good when I started typing this but realize this is it for good parts.

They could have, literally, simply taken any of the storylines from random books that they tossed out when they bought the franchise and brought them to the screen or used ideas that were 'leaked' that Lucas originally had but went sideways. Odd because The Mandalorian does a lot of good things.
WildGorillaMan wrote:Enthusiasm combined with no skill whatsoever can sometimes carry the day.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

I agree that Adam Driver was one of the few bright lights. The movie itself was a mess.
"I have longed for shipwrecks, for havoc and violent death.” - Havoc, T. Kristensen

nafod
Lifetime IGer

Post by nafod »

I thought for sure when Poe Whatisname was starting to cry because the rest of the fleet hadn’t shown up, that it was all over.
Don’t believe everything you think.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Seems like people who like but don’t obsess over Star Wars would like this.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.