"Free Trial" VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

"Free Trial" VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

If you order an Oculus Quest 2 from Best Buy, you can return it an any point until mid-January. I did demos of Magic Leap (and it was obvious that wasn't going anywhere), Oculus and HTC Vive when it first came out, and have been excited to see what's coming but didn't want to invest in a gaming PC to go along with it.

The Quest 2 I noticed effectively had an extended free trial, so I grabbed a 64 GB version (which is plenty). No PC required.

It is pretty sweet. It functions independent of your PC, but can also track your movement in space (when the game allows). Not just your hands/controllers, your body movement. It'll also tether to gaming PCs/consoles.

I jumped into a game the first day that induced motion sickness, which is not fun, but there are ones that don't and apparently you can mitigate that.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Ronald RayGun

Re: "Free Trial" VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2

Post by Ronald RayGun »

It takes a bit for you to get your "VR legs". It's something you adapt to pretty quickly depending on the game. I've also found that click turning works much better for me than smooth turning in VR, but I know smooth turning is something I could adapt to if I had any desire to push past the motion sickness.
"Sorry I didn't save the world, my friend. I was too busy building mine again" - Kendrick Lamar

Topic author
Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: "Free Trial" VR Headset: Oculus Quest 2

Post by Grandpa's Spells »

Yeah I read afterwards it can help to baby step, and I jumped right into Population: One with full immersion settings and that was a mistake.

My adult gaming experience consists of playing Eve Online maybe 6 years ago, which is essentially the opposite of VR. But finding a clever way to blow up somebody's spaceship who thought they were safe and have them rage-chat "FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT FAGGOT" makes me laugh again as I type this.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.