Mike Mahler's DVD Kettlebell Solution For Size and Strength

Tell us if you found a gem or a piece of shit, and who peddled it

Moderator: Dux

Topic author
Monts
Sarge

Mike Mahler's DVD Kettlebell Solution For Size and Strength

Post by Monts »

This is the first DVD of Mike's I've ever seen. And it's first rate. If you've been wanting to gain size and be as strong as you look, and do it with kettlebells as opposed to conventional approaches, I'd highly recommend his DVD. This DVD is targeted to people who've already got a good handle on kettlebell training, but now want to gain some size, but don't want to hit to the chrome and fern bars. That said, a beginner would easily derive benefit as well, because Mike covers the basics from power breathing for grind type exercises and proper hip snap for ballistics. Mike also executes all the exercises with precision and grace with a tongue in cheek sense of humor. There is no metrosexual fluff to this DVD as it is full of substance and training ideas involving two kettlebells.

Monty H. Singer, RKC
U.S. GS Nationals 1st place winner, 24kg kb's 90+ kg divison

cmedwin

Post by cmedwin »

For me, the best thing about the new Mahler DVD is that the clear
video and plenty of coherent useful tips are a great tool for
improving form.

There's a lot of work ahead, but my double snatch and clean are
already improved.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Thanks a lot Monty and glad that you liked the DVD. Thanks as well Clay!

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Finished watching it today. This DVD is well worth the money and delivers what it says in the product description, unlike many other products on the market. The explanations are very clear and the quality is perfect. If you want to get big, strong or both with KBs, buy it.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Gav wrote:Finished watching it today. This DVD is well worth the money and delivers what it says in the product description, unlike many other products on the market. The explanations are very clear and the quality is perfect. If you want to get big, strong or both with KBs, buy it.
Thanks a lot Gav and let me know if you have any questions about the DVD or user guide.

Mike

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X »

I watched it in segments, over this past week.

Reader's Digest Version: Outstanding. I've not viewed too many of the KB-related DVD's that
are out there, but I have to say this is far and away the best one I've seen as far as offering
clear instruction that folks at all levels can benefit from.

Very clear, very specific instruction on the drills. Mike needs to come out with a newbie tape.

Not a downside for any of us, but one for Mike:

Mike is funny and has good presence as an instructor. All of us would 'get it' as far as his jokes
go (I had good laughs at a few), but he's likely hurting himself with potential distribution channels
regarding some of the remarks. Assuming he intends to get into a big box retailer such as Best
Buy or Barnes and Noble at some point in his career with these products. They would shitcan the
DVD at the first joke that he makes. Yes, I've got some experience pitching products to big box
retailers and speak from firsthand truest knowledge on the issue. JMO.

Anyway, it's a very useful tape, and not just for those who wish to gain mass.

Good work, Mike.

Jim

Trip

Post by Trip »

not just for those who wish to gain mass
true knowledge

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Napoleon Hill is Back! wrote:I watched it in segments, over this past week.

Reader's Digest Version: Outstanding. I've not viewed too many of the KB-related DVD's that
are out there, but I have to say this is far and away the best one I've seen as far as offering
clear instruction that folks at all levels can benefit from.

Very clear, very specific instruction on the drills. Mike needs to come out with a newbie tape.

Not a downside for any of us, but one for Mike:

Mike is funny and has good presence as an instructor. All of us would 'get it' as far as his jokes
go (I had good laughs at a few), but he's likely hurting himself with potential distribution channels
regarding some of the remarks. Assuming he intends to get into a big box retailer such as Best
Buy or Barnes and Noble at some point in his career with these products. They would shitcan the
DVD at the first joke that he makes. Yes, I've got some experience pitching products to big box
retailers and speak from firsthand truest knowledge on the issue. JMO.

Anyway, it's a very useful tape, and not just for those who wish to gain mass.

Good work, Mike.

Jim
Jim,

Thanks a lot for the feedback and glad you liked the idea. You are probably right regarding distributors. However, the product has specialized info and is not really something that you would find in Barnes and Noble or Best Buy. It is not meant for the mainstream in fact it is not even meant for the mainstream KB community. Will that hurt what I can potentially make on it? Probably, but I really do not care. I don't want to be something I am not just to make money. I already have several distributors: Dragondoor, Bodybuilding.com, Ironman Magazine Japan, and possible Ironman Magazine. I also have some smaller distributors and the DVD sells very well on my site. I am already happy with the money that I have made on it. Bottom line is that money talks and if enough volume occurs, the big dogs will want to play, if not no big deal.

An investment banker friend told me basically what you did that I will have to tone things down to make "real" money, but I say screw it, I quit working for other people to do things my way, right or wrong.

Thanks again for the feedback and glad that you liked it.

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

[/quote]

Jim,

Thanks a lot for the feedback and glad you liked the idea..[/quote] Meant to say DVD, not idea, ha ha

Topic author
Monts
Sarge

Post by Monts »

I agree with you Mike. Don't tone it down. It keeps the metrosexuals away. Limits the audience, but most other people in that audience don't think for themselves anyway as they await instructions from Oprah.

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Mike,

One thing though, when you said 'Live life aggressively' at the end the cheeseometer shot up about 256 points. I'd leave that one out in the next DVD if I were you. BTW when will you start calling yourself just 'Mike'?

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Gav wrote:Mike,

One thing though, when you said 'Live life aggressively' at the end the cheeseometer shot up about 256 points. I'd leave that one out in the next DVD if I were you. BTW when will you start calling yourself just 'Mike'?
Ha ha ha, thanks Gav and I will keep that in mind on the next DVD. Come one Gav, what sounds cooler Mahler's Aggressive Strength or Mike's aggressive strength? Case closed

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat »

Here's a letter I wrote to Mike re: his new DVD

Aloha Mike,

Thanks for asking me to review your new DVD, it was fun to do. I took notes as I watched and thought about your presentation and content; unfortunately I haven't healed my shoulder yet to give your training the full try it deserves...when my shoulder is well enough I will spend a month doing one of your power/bodybuilding routines and post a log of it on IG and/or DD. It would be fun and I am feeling skinny after several months of roadwork and no weights.

Okay, regarding the DVD, it is a good product and a major improvement--in my opinion--over your last effort; which is not a criticism of your last video, but merely reflects what I perceive to be all the hardwork and experience which I can see in your new product. One thing, which we have discussed briefly, that I felt was lacking from the MMA video was a single, cohesive theme which united all the drills you presented. The drills themselves were cool, and you present and teach them flawlessly (you have an obvious talent for clear teaching), but in the back of my mind I was left asking myself, "why would a combat athlete want to spend valuable and limited training time learning complicated kettlebell drills rather than basic ones like a snatch?" This feeling was reinforced by my experience as I shared your drills with the guys I do FMA and stickfighting with. They are regular guys (read: slow learners) and I had a hard enough time teaching them the basic kettlebell lifts or how to do a hindu squat (that was hilarious if you could have seen it, they did every possible permutation EXCEPT the right one). When I tried to get them through a circuit of your drills, they just couldn't follow along, and didn't understand the reasoning behind it.

On the other hand, your new video has a clear purpose which unites all the material you present under one explicit and easy to understand concept: "use the correct techniques shown here so as to maximize weight used, and by maximizing weight used, you will acheive the best results in strength and size." THAT, my friend, is a simple idea with an obvious rationale and plan to acheive the goals identified (size and strength). I was very pleased to see how clearly and competently presented this message. It made your whole video really strong, because I could see the reason for everything you presented, and the information was all at a level that your audience can incorporate into their training right away. Your kettlebell pressing section alone is the most complete document on the 2KB press I've ever seen, anywhere, even in old-timey strongman books. That's something to be proud of.

Simple things like your production values also made the new DVD a pleasure to watch, from the setting and natural lighting that you chose. Although I felt there was some unnecessary joking around, you also speak very clearly and have an obvious and infectious enthusiasm for bodybuilding and strength training. You remind me, and anyone who watches, of how much fun it can be to build muscle in a healthy and natural way--like I said, I was hyped enough to want to train some right away, even though my shoulder is slowing me down.

All in all, I am not blowing sunshine up your ass when I say this is a job well done. I would like to give my shoulder 2-3 more weeks and then I will do a month cycle as outlined in your training manual and will post my training results. It should be fun, and I will try to promote your DVD because I think a lot of people can relate to and receive benefit from the material. What guy doesn't want bigger, stronger muscles?

Aloha,
Makena White

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Makena,

Thanks again for the honest and detailed feedback! I really appreciate it.

Mike

Gav
Sgt. Major

Post by Gav »

Mike,

One other thought I had whilst watching the DVD was about the MP. Pavel really makes a point of keeping the shoulder down in his vids but you didn't didn't mention it (unless I missed it). Is there a reason? Is it because it's a two KB MP?

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Gav wrote:Mike,

One other thought I had whilst watching the DVD was about the MP. Pavel really makes a point of keeping the shoulder down in his vids but you didn't didn't mention it (unless I missed it). Is there a reason? Is it because it's a two KB MP?
Actually there is a very important reason why I did not mention to keep your shoudlers down. It is because I forgot to! That is an important tip and the same rule applies to the double mil press or any mil press for that matter. Thanks

Tom Furman
Corporal

Post by Tom Furman »

Just watched Mike Mahler's latest dvd. First off, very nice production. The music is hardcore headbanger stuff, and I think most action type productions should start this way. (I love Rodney King's Crazy Monkey productions for this reason). The beach is a perfect setting for this California powerhouse's class on how to get big and strong with kettlebells. Mike is a big, strong, guy, but more importantly,..he has powerful communication skills. The target audience is the strength crowd, the athletes, and the martial artists. Mike's comments/jokes are well placed and certainly beat any monotoned delivery provided by many disco-diva, economic girly-men.

Technically speaking, this video is top notch. Professional camera work by a guy who actually has the same last name as Mike. The lighting and color are great. The audio, due to the exterior location had a bit of wind noise, but did not in any way, hurt the delivery. Occasionaly you can see a tourista on the beach get magically erased by digital magic, but then again, these are things I look for since I have been in the Film and Theater business for years. (Many of you don't see Chuck Norris' rug either!)

Now to the content. If you want muscle size and strength that applies to actually doing things with your muscles other than just looking at them, Mike's DVD is the BEST solution. Look no further. In your hands is the Rosetta Stone of functional hypertrophy. Mike points out things not contained in other DVD's. I find this incredibly refreshing. I have been to tons of physically oriented seminars. I am not easily impressed. Mike does his workouts the Mahler way. He gives credit to techniques pioneered by others, but nurtures the technology to produce results that exceed the root formula. Remember when you solve a formula it is called solution. When the question is size and strength, and the tool is the kettlebell, then the solution is in the form of Mike Mahler's latest DVD.

Any negatives?? Minimal. Mike put to much in one DVD. 90 minutes is alot and everyone will have to digest this one like a big piece of steak. Mike and that other Mahler guy will have to play with windshields on the audio gear and minimize wind noise for outdoor shooting.
The last problem, and this is a big one,.....the bar has been set high by Mike and anyone thinking about filming a new K-bell DVD, better think hard. Mike's is hard to beat. 9.9 out of 10

Tom Furman http://www.physicalstrategies.com
"Do you believe in Jesus?"
---Yes.
"Well, you're gonna meet him!"

Charles Bronson, Death Wish 2

Mike Mahler
Gunny

Post by Mike Mahler »

Thanks a lot Tom and glad that you liked the DVD! I appreciate the honest feedback as well.

Mike