The Psychology of Achievement

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

The Psychology of Achievement

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:48 am

Author Topic: The Psychology of Achievement
Gav
Member # 34

Member Rated:

posted July 30, 2004 06:26 PMJuly 31, 2004 06:26 AM

Jim,

The reason most accomplish very little is the negative self talk we do to OURSELVES. When facing big weights, a tough competitor, a big presentation or project, or a challenging situation, we hear the fear demon in our head. Many smarter than me know where it comes from, but it is an old aquaintance of mine. My mind constantly replays my two adductor tears whenever it gets hard and heavy. The voices of people who question why i do this to myself come back in a flurry.

Now there are times to listen to your instinct and shut it down. But other times you need to walk away from the voices, fears, and doubts, to a land where there are no sounds, to as Terry Todd once said,"the land where nobody hears your footsteps".

This is hallowed ground. Failing here makes leaves you knowing you could do it and vaguely ashamed but cocky to return. Succeeding here makes you very confident, and deeply and instinctively aware of how to come back to walking in the land again.

When you have been there a few times Time begins to compress, senses become expanded, and you watch as your body does what is trained to do, fearlessly.

Exhilarating.

Welcome!

Jack Reape

Originally posted by Tun Tavern

Visible Abs for Dummies
Sgt. Major
Member # 17

Member Rated:

posted July 30, 2004 11:11 PMJuly 31, 2004 11:11 AM

--------------------
Blah, blah, blah...

Gav