Garm on the IGx-physique

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Garm on the IGx-physique

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:51 am

uthor Topic: Garm on the IGx-physique
elrodjr
Member # 32

Member Rated:

posted July 29, 2004 09:50 PMJuly 30, 2004 09:50 AM
Narcissistic obsession with 'leanness' is exactly the same thing as pussyboy bodybuilders worrying about muscle size and preening in front of the mirror. A casual observer of this forum would think that instead of 'Nutrition and Health', the title was 'Low Carb Dieting and Visible Abdominals'. Skinny does not equal healthy, you bunch of wasp-waisted weak sisters. Function is what matters, not some Weideresque cookie cutter appearance ideal forced down our throats by some New York ad agency pissants who have attended more aerobics classes than I've had bowel movements.

Anyone who spends a lot of time thinking about their cuts or bodyfat levels has something wrong with their heads. If you own a set of calipers, seek professional help. Or better yet, have a bananna and chill the F&%k out. Next time you see that roid-bloated mass of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy that we all look down on at the gym, tell him he looks a little fatter than normal. If he reacts the same way you would, you're the same guy.

Garm
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

bill fox

Post by bill fox » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:52 am

Garm spends more time thinking about his body fat level, and mine for that matter, then I do.

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:50 am

I haven't thought of either since the above was posted at DD a couple of years ago. That my barbability quotient is demonstrated by the fact that it still burns your ass is, however, quite satisfying. Did you know that even mild discomfit increases one's resting metabolic rate? What with all this time, you must owe me a few hundred thousand Calories.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:29 am

JMO, but Garm's origanal post above did more to affect my training than anything I'd read in years. Training for any kind of an aesthetic goal is folly.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

bill fox

Post by bill fox » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:17 am

Yeah, Saxon, Pullum, Klien, Sandow - bunch of pussies.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:10 am

bill fox wrote:Yeah, Saxon, Pullum, Klien, Sandow - bunch of pussies.
Sandow trained for looks?
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Lich

Post by Lich » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:27 am

elrodjr wrote:
bill fox wrote:Yeah, Saxon, Pullum, Klien, Sandow - bunch of pussies.
Sandow trained for looks?
Uhh, yes. At least in part;

http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/sandowindex.htm

bill fox

Post by bill fox » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:27 am

Elrod

In large part. Buy Sandows books, or Alan Clavert "Super Strength". They actually use the word "figure" quite a bit. Show pictures of various men with "beautiful" development etc... they never thought to seprate form from function, they had BOTH. BOTH is the shit.

Lich

Post by Lich » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:09 pm

Elrod,

Just note; Don't buy shit... go to that link, and all the books from all the old timers are there for free.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:43 pm

Bill/Lich,

I stand corrected on Sandow. I'd read small chunks of the stuff on that website but never caught the discussions on appearance. Not sure if this changes any of what I said, though. Having an aesthetic measure of performance, ala Body for Life or Muscle & Fitness or Labrada, is vanity and is very much cart before the horse. I had an 18 year old tell me this weekend that he’d been hitting the gym hard and had gotten his BF down to 7%. He’s 5’10, about 145, and assuredly not strong. But that’s the image goal that people like him are zoning on. Speaking just for me, I got more out of Sheyko (function) than Bill Phillips (form).

bill fox

Post by bill fox » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:28 pm

Elrod

No question about, Sheyko over Phillips is a no brainer. Phillips is a clever marketer, I don't think he ever claimed to know shit about strength.

Here's my thing. Do Sheyko, or Smolov, or whatever and control diet. Not starve, not try to get to 7%, just control. Stay at 12%. You'll get strong, strong as hell, and still look good. It's the eat as hard as you train bullshit that I'm against. For anyone except a SHW PL competitor it's plain and simple an excuse to be fat and eat your face off. IMO.

Bill