On PL long term effects & training for the long term.

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Lich

On PL long term effects & training for the long term.

Post by Lich » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:40 pm

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2005 05:26 pm
Post subject:

The "later in life" stuff, is why I am so careful with the people I train now. It doesn't do you much good to bench 600 when you're 23, if along the road you've damaged every ligament and tendon in your upper body. You don't feel it when you're in your 20's & early 30's, but trust me, post 35, you start to creak and groan.

I was trained by two madmen when I was competing, and I internalized all of their lessons. I got very strong for a drug-free guy, but I would have been better served with a more conservative approach. It may have taken me two-three more years to get to where I did, but patience very definitely would have been it's own reward.

An acquaintance of mine snatched 341 in his heyday, but now can barely open a jar due to arthritis in his wrists. He trained like a maniac, through injuries, illness, whatever. He lived to compete, but even he questioned whether or not it was worth it. A lot of my PL buddies are on their third or fourth knee operations. Rehab and related shit gets real tedious after a while.

That's why I have my guys treat this stuff like a marathon, not a sprint. Only increase a load when you can do so with ease. Consistency of effort over time, will eventually give the results that short-term, white hot-intensity would have, and your body won't get destroyed along the way.

As most of us treat this stuff as a hobby, i.e. our livelihoods aren't depending on it, why risk your health?

My opinion of course.

Cleaner464