Garm on peaking.

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Gav
Sgt. Major

Garm on peaking.

Post by Gav » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:03 pm

Yep, you can kiss all those big gains goodbye after a year or three of training. Most people can increase any lift 100% or more in a few months of just about any reasonable program as long as they have never lifted before. It's not adaption so much as gains in coordination. After a while, you have to work your ass off for a few pounds a year.

The best advice is periodization and to only attempt to attain peak power a time or three a year. Most veteran PL types use 80%/5-8 rep routines with lots of assistance exercises to target various weak points through the 'off season', and then go through intense peaking cycles to get ready for a contest. As intensity rises, volume drops and assistance exercises are stopped. If I tried to regularly work at anywhere near my contest max, I'd be in a wheelchair. I know a 750-pound DLer who will never lift more than 225 unless he is getting ready for a meet (he concentrates on speed and perfect form with the light weights).

Here's the part that you need: after a contest, almost all of us take at least a few weeks off altogether. I don't lift for a month. A meet is very stressful if you are ready for it and lift well. In non-competitive programs, the same rule applies. If you are working out very hard for a while, that's good. But change to less stressful activity is mandatory every once in a while. Pavel's PTP cycling is a very efficient way to keep making gains while avoiding overtraining, but at some point you will not be adding five pounds a workout.

Garm

http://forum.dragondoor.com/training/message/57554%5C