IGX "...overflowing with foulmouthed ignorance."
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:10 am

<

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:25 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
I am a self trained, never seminared KB guy, just the DD tapes. I catch the kb on the forearm on snatches, and I agree with you on the recovery. For cleans, though, I end up taking the hit on the anterior and lateral deltoid, rather than the forearm. I will be trying the corkscrew. Thanks.
One thing I do not think Scott mentions in the video (surprisingly) is the breathing rhythm of the movement. Among other good stuff (which Scott would be better at than me in elaborating) is that the impact of the KBs on your body is less when you breathe properly. Or so it seems to me.

I found that with RKC methods your body is rigid when the KBs "collide" with the body, with the AKC method of breathing I find that I am able to better cushion the harshness of the blow with the breath. Again, I have never used double 32's and what not, nor have I done a lot of snatching. But for the cleans and jerks (and to a lesser degree, presses) I find the breathing pattern mitigates the force of the KBs hitting my arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:30 pm 
Sarge

Quote:
One thing I do not think Scott mentions in the video (surprisingly) is the breathing rhythm of the movement. Among other good stuff (which Scott would be better at than me in elaborating) is that the impact of the KBs on your body is less when you breathe properly. Or so it seems to me.

I found that with RKC methods your body is rigid when the KBs "collide" with the body, with the AKC method of breathing I find that I am able to better cushion the harshness of the blow with the breath. Again, I have never used double 32's and what not, nor have I done a lot of snatching. But for the cleans and jerks (and to a lesser degree, presses) I find the breathing pattern mitigates the force of the KBs hitting my arm.
Word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:32 pm 
Sergeant Commanding

Quote:
Quote:
I am a self trained, never seminared KB guy, just the DD tapes. I catch the kb on the forearm on snatches, and I agree with you on the recovery. For cleans, though, I end up taking the hit on the anterior and lateral deltoid, rather than the forearm. I will be trying the corkscrew. Thanks.
The reason I say "surprisingly" is Scott has a sophicated understanding of breath and makes its use and role in movement explicit. I did not mean to suggest it was a glaring omission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:21 pm 

This thread seems like a great candidate for a "Nugget". Also, I am saving it to my "Furl" stash. Furl's nice because it saves the actual web page. I'm not saying that other services aren't as good, or better. Furl.net is the one I know because the guy who runs "boingboing.net" recommends it.

"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:03 am 

Quote:
It's supposed to rest mostly on "B-C-D" (the "hip" of the hand) below:
In anatomical terms, I think this is the "hypo-thenar eminece", although, I could certainly be wrong. Anyway if you used that term with a bodyworker (as opposed to a bodybuilder), he'd instantly know what you meant.

We learned a nice politically incorrect mnemoic for keeping all the carpal bones straight:

"Slowly Loosen Tammy's Panties Til Tommu Comes Home".

...where "slowly" stands for "scaphoid" and "home" stands for "hamate". Irritatingly, I can't remember all the bones, but I remember the mnemonic.I think bone "D" is the "pisiform", bone "H" is the "hamate" and bone "C" is the "cuneiform". That's just for all you anatomy geeks in the audience.

"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 am 
Did anyone here ever try the program Scott mentioned?