SacroWedgy

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

SacroWedgy

Post by bigpeach » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:47 pm

http://www.sacrowedgy.com

Pretty interesting little device, helps to get the sacrum back in place relative to the hip bones. Been using it for a few days and after 10-15 minutes on it, I feel like I just walked out of my chiro's office. Not a shabby result for $30.

Blaidd Drwg
Lifetime IGer

Post by Blaidd Drwg » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:30 pm

For realz? This look sliek it could be totally crockery or just so good it blew my mind. Keep posted on continued use. Very interesting.
"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that." JS Mill

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:04 am

So far it is just a good temporary pain reliever.

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:31 pm

I was intrigued enough to order one; it should be in today/Monday.

For years I've had one of those wooden "arch with wooden balls on the rails" back bridges. I've found that laying on it helps with my habitual slump, and now that I've started using it regularly, every time it's a little easier/faster to settle into it, and I stand up straighter.

But I've also noticed that I lay "crooked" on it, since I have a little scoliotic curve. Over time I settle in and lay straight, but the real problem is lower down: hips and lumbar.

So I'm curious to see what this does; I'll get good feedback just from looking at a full squat in the mirror.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:51 pm

One of my main problems is that my hips are never squared up and I have found that using the wedge under my right hip (turn the wedge over cuz the shape is uncomfortable) is helping much more than using the wedge as the owner's manual instructs.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 pm

bigpeach wrote:One of my main problems is that my hips are never squared up and I have found that using the wedge under my right hip (turn the wedge over cuz the shape is uncomfortable) is helping much more than using the wedge as the owner's manual instructs.
Another thing you could try, and IMO this is actually more efficient (and effective) than the SacroWedgy for hip problems rather than sacrum problems:

Get yourself a couple of firm foam wedges, the kind that won't collapse under your weight. A place like "Relax The Back" will have something suitable.) Something similar to your SacroWedgy base will do fine, but a little thicker would be good.

Lie on your back. Here's your orientation: If your hips aren't "square", this usually means that one hip's ASIS (the forward "crest") is tilted "forward" relative to the other one, and the ischial tuberosity (your "sit bone") corresponding to it is tilted "back" out from under.

The hip that is "tilting forward" needs a wedge under the head of the femur/ischial tuberosity to get the sit bone go "back under" the ASIS.

The hip that is normal (or tilted back, relatively speaking) gets a wedge directly under the iliac crest in the back . This will get that part of the hip bones to tilt "forward., and the sit bone to tilt back from under it.

So what you've done is create a mild "torque" on the hips in the opposite direction of the current imbalance. If you rest and relax in this posittion for several minutes (10-15 would be good), you can almost count on feeling a lot more stable when you get up.

To get the same effect laying prone (face down), put one wedge under the ASIS (the top 'crest' of the bone) of the hip that is tilted forward, and one wedge under the head of the femur of the other hip. Again, the effect will be to torque the hip bones from two points, rather than one.

Hope this helps. I can't find any video clips or pictures to help visualize this, but I learned it from James Malley's DVD "Deep Tissue Massage".
[/list]
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

bigpeach
Buttnugget McTwistynutz

Post by bigpeach » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:22 pm

Thanks ABW. I will give that a try. I guess I'm not sure which hip is tilted in which direction, but I know it is always my right SI joint that gives me problems, and the right hip that clicks and shifts frequently. My fiancee is in massage therapy school now and has commented that my ilium seems to jut out on the right side of my low back and the muscles around it are always a lot tighter. Your prescription might be the tonic I need. Thanks!

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:46 pm

Interesting stuff on this thread. I've had my SW for about a week now and have used it religiously (I pray while laying on it) every night for at least 10 min.

I split the time the last few days between just laying flat and doing the butterfly str position.

I would SWEAR that in Child's Position, when I look back my hips aren't as close to my right foot as they usually are, but I might just be imagining it. I'll keep doing it and see.

One weird side effect is that my whole sacral area hurts like a fiend when I first wake up, then promptly gets better once I start moving.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Abandoned by Wolves

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:22 pm

bigpeach wrote:Thanks ABW. I will give that a try. I guess I'm not sure which hip is tilted in which direction, but I know it is always my right SI joint that gives me problems, and the right hip that clicks and shifts frequently. My fiancee is in massage therapy school now and has commented that my ilium seems to jut out on the right side of my low back and the muscles around it are always a lot tighter. Your prescription might be the tonic I need. Thanks!
Normally, with one hip tilted forward, the leg on that side will feel like the "short leg" (or actually appear shorter when compared side by side with the other leg.) Also, the muscles in the back of that hip will have shortened and contracted to take up the slack. Hope that helps with the identification.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

Sassenach
ironslinger

Post by Sassenach » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:13 am

This may be just what I need, thanks ABW!
Kazuya Mishima wrote:they can pry the bacon from my cold dead hand.

grey

Post by grey » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:06 am

nugs
Training Log

Talk - Action = Shit

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:
bigpeach wrote:Thanks ABW. I will give that a try. I guess I'm not sure which hip is tilted in which direction, but I know it is always my right SI joint that gives me problems, and the right hip that clicks and shifts frequently. My fiancee is in massage therapy school now and has commented that my ilium seems to jut out on the right side of my low back and the muscles around it are always a lot tighter. Your prescription might be the tonic I need. Thanks!
Normally, with one hip tilted forward, the leg on that side will feel like the "short leg" (or actually appear shorter when compared side by side with the other leg.) Also, the muscles in the back of that hip will have shortened and contracted to take up the slack. Hope that helps with the identification.
What would you recommend for "someone" who had this kind of situation?
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González