Turning monkeys into RKC's

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Post Reply
User avatar
DBID
Sgt. Major
Posts: 4362
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:21 am

Turning monkeys into RKC's

Post by DBID » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:15 am

deleted
Last edited by DBID on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abandoned by Wolves
Top
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:00 am

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:19 pm

You know, I've been thinking off and on about the whole "Pavel is/is not a "real" MS" hoo-ha (you know, during commercial breaks for "Dancing With The Stars" and whatnot), and I think the whole thing might boil down to the fact that the Soviet Armed Forces (including Spetsnaz) might have their own kettlebell tradition and competition, and they couldn't give a shit what the civilian population thinks. If Pavel put those numbers up at some kind of semi-formal Army meet with a bunch of witnesses, that might well be good enough for him and for at least half of the kettlebell/GS community.

In fact, my personal theory at this point (assembled in between swigs of Diet Rockstar during my country line dancing lessons) is that Pavel essentially has transplanted the whole "Hard Style" thing from the groups he worked out with back in the Old Country...sort of like a "splinter group" off on their own in East Bumfuck, Lithuania , with no chance to go anywhere to keep up on formal traditional methods of Kbell training. That would explain why Cotter ran into such a disconnect when he went to train with real GS experts.

I still like Pavel, and I still think "Hardstyle" can be good for a lot of people who just want to sweat and work out and get some decent strength and muscle tone in a few hours a week. Pavel still looks pretty good, after all, and he didn't get that way using Tony Little's "Gazelle Freestyle Trainer."
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37503
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Abandoned by Wolves wrote:You know, I've been thinking off and on about the whole "Pavel is/is not a "real" MS" hoo-ha (you know, during commercial breaks for "Dancing With The Stars" and whatnot), and I think the whole thing might boil down to the fact that the Soviet Armed Forces (including Spetsnaz) might have their own kettlebell tradition and competition, and they couldn't give a shit what the civilian population thinks. If Pavel put those numbers up at some kind of semi-formal Army meet with a bunch of witnesses, that might well be good enough for him and for at least half of the kettlebell/GS community.
This is mental gymnastics. "Master of Sports" is/was an official ranking with the Soviet sports authority. Nobody else can give it out and say "good enough".
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

RyaWall

Post by RyaWall » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:35 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Abandoned by Wolves wrote:You know, I've been thinking off and on about the whole "Pavel is/is not a "real" MS" hoo-ha (you know, during commercial breaks for "Dancing With The Stars" and whatnot), and I think the whole thing might boil down to the fact that the Soviet Armed Forces (including Spetsnaz) might have their own kettlebell tradition and competition, and they couldn't give a shit what the civilian population thinks. If Pavel put those numbers up at some kind of semi-formal Army meet with a bunch of witnesses, that might well be good enough for him and for at least half of the kettlebell/GS community.
This is mental gymnastics. "Master of Sports" is/was an official ranking with the Soviet sports authority. Nobody else can give it out and say "good enough".

If you go by that standard ..not one person can become a Master of Sport unless it is witnessed by someone from the Soviet Sports Authority or group of equal stature. Anything else, even the numbers were there would only be a representation of the athletes skill with no official ranking.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37503
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:36 pm

Yeah, that's right.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37503
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Post by Fat Cat » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Think of it this way, just because you can post WR numbers, does that make you Olympic Champion? No. You have to show up and be certified by the right people in the right place, at the right time. There's no second way. You either hold the rank of Master of Sport, or you don't. Pavel doesn't, and he lied about it to make a lot of money. End of story.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

___________
Sergeant Commanding
Posts: 7502
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:12 am

Post by ___________ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Think of it this way, just because you can post WR numbers, does that make you Olympic Champion? No. You have to show up and be certified by the right people in the right place, at the right time. There's no second way. You either hold the rank of Master of Sport, or you don't. Pavel doesn't, and he lied about it to make a lot of money. End of story.
STOP YOUR SENSICAL!

RyaWall

Post by RyaWall » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:15 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Think of it this way, just because you can post WR numbers, does that make you Olympic Champion? No. You have to show up and be certified by the right people in the right place, at the right time. There's no second way. You either hold the rank of Master of Sport, or you don't. Pavel doesn't, and he lied about it to make a lot of money. End of story.
I agree with that statement..except the end of story..I am sure this story will continue on.

Abandoned by Wolves
Top
Posts: 2374
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:00 am

Post by Abandoned by Wolves » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:08 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Abandoned by Wolves wrote:You know, I've been thinking off and on about the whole "Pavel is/is not a "real" MS" hoo-ha (you know, during commercial breaks for "Dancing With The Stars" and whatnot), and I think the whole thing might boil down to the fact that the Soviet Armed Forces (including Spetsnaz) might have their own kettlebell tradition and competition, and they couldn't give a shit what the civilian population thinks. If Pavel put those numbers up at some kind of semi-formal Army meet with a bunch of witnesses, that might well be good enough for him and for at least half of the kettlebell/GS community.
This is mental gymnastics. "Master of Sports" is/was an official ranking with the Soviet sports authority. Nobody else can give it out and say "good enough".
Fair point. Yes, it IS mental gymnastics. I'm just speculating, and should in no way be taken seriously.
"I also think training like a Navy S.E.A.L. is stupid for the average person. I would say PT like an infantry unit, run, body weight stuff, hump a little, a little weights and enjoy life if you are not training for specifics." -tough old man

User avatar
Shafpocalypse Now
Lifetime IGer
Posts: 21050
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Post by Shafpocalypse Now » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:17 pm

To earn a national ranking, I had to power snatch a 32kg kettlebell 40 times with one arm and 40 times with the other, back to back - over 40000 ft-;bs of work - and power clean and jerk 2 such bells 45 times. I assure you gentlemen, it was a puker.

User avatar
Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®
Posts: 37503
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:54 pm
Location: 鬼ヶ島

Post by Fat Cat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Shaf wrote:
To earn a national ranking, I had to power snatch a 32kg kettlebell 40 times with one arm and 40 times with the other, back to back - over 40000 ft-;bs of work - and power clean and jerk 2 such bells 45 times. I assure you gentlemen, it was a puker.
Talk about an "also ran". What do you think this little fabrication means, Steve.
Image
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Post Reply