Pavel Tsatsouline is a Fraud by Steve Cotter

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Ripe Turd
Staff Sergeant

Re: Pavel Tsatsouline is a Fraud by Steve Cotter

Post by Ripe Turd » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:25 am
Sangoma wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 am
Never mind. I don't have an agenda against Pavel. I like his writings and specifically the trend he is trying to set, getting results without unnecessary suffering. His Comrade Spetznaz shtick makes me cringe, but I guess this is his marketing image that he is selling, so whatever.
Gay.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Sangoma wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:02 am
Long time ago I asked Pavel a question on DragonDoor - believe it or not the message is still on that board:

http://kbforum.dragondoor.com/kettlebel ... pavel.html
Pavel, being from Riga, you might have heard of this. There was a guy in the Politechnical Institute who did his PhD on stretching. He used vibration as a tool to accelerate it. It worked like this: there was a machine, with kind of a rail sticking out at your waist height. You put your ankle on it, in the position of the desired stretch, got to the range limit, and the rail would start vibrating with the amplitude of about 5 cm. You would continue to increase your range while keeping your leg on the rail. The author of the invention claimed that this significantly accelerated stretching. Do you know anything about it?
There was no reply.

Browsing some stuff on stretching I remembered this and decided to ask a question again. Which I did, more or less in the same words plus theorizing a little about Golgi reflex and posting couple of Youtube videos of some Russian researchers doing similar thing.

My account was in moderation earlier - for expressing my opinion about Mark Rippetoe and his stance on high versus low bar. Moderation means that Mother Superior reads my posts before they appear publicly. But that was lifted. And then the strangest thing happened. The next day I wanted to check the answers - the thread was not there. I sent Steve Freides PM about this and got the reply that stunned me: "I cannot spend more time explaining what is and isn't acceptable on our forum to you. Your account is in moderation, that thread is removed."
There was a short continuation. I PM-ed Mother Superior, insisting on an explanation and he sent me this:
Your video links are not in English and English subtitles are not available. The language of our forum is English, and whatever is posted must be in English.

The article with the Pavel interview is on the web site of a trainer who lists certifications with other organizations but not StrongFirst. It is an old article, the posting date of 2016 not withstanding. We don't use "Comrade" and haven't since we have been StrongFirst, and the article, posted on our web site, gives a misleading, and poor, impression of what StrongFirst is. If such a link would be posted, it would need, at the very least, an accurate posting date.

The discussion about where Pavel is from is simply pointless.

If you wish to post about vibration techniques and flexibility, you may, provided you don't post old articles about Pavel, and provided you give links to articles and other media that are in English.

Last but not least, please aware that Pavel hasn't posted on our forum in 4 years and there is no point in addressing him directly in a forum post.
I have the impression that Pavel's split from Dragondoor was, at least in part, an attempt to distance himself from his past. Many current members of SF are young and know little about Dragondoor, and Pavel has downplayed the Comrade and Spetznaz thing considerably. Lately he mentioned that he was Sptznaz Drill Instructor.

Try get anything about Pavel's past and you hit a wall fairly quickly. When and where did he serve in the Army? When did he graduate from University? What was his graduation thesis (in USSR you had to do a sort of dissertation to get a degree, among with passing exams)? When did he come to USA? Not "in the nineties", but the year? How did he obtain his Master of Sports and in which sport? Why wouldn't anybody want to put this in his bio? The only date you can get is his birthday. There are no original interviews with Pavel in Russian - only translations from the Western sources - though Russian Internet is full of his books, translated.

If you look carefully he seems to have run of original ideas fairly early. PTTP is probably the only book that was truly groundbreaking. Kettlebells were new to the West, but in Russia there were used since the beginning of times. More recent stuff is the rehash of various routines and methods published elsewhere - Steve Justa, Shaf's Ladders, Faleev (renamed 80/20), the Russians etc. Nicely repackaged as the original.

Once again, I don't really care. Pavel is a smart guy. He obviously did some sports, understands training methodology and can read and interpret sports research. He does a good job selling books and seminars and creating a following little short of a cult. Good for him. I cringe at the idea that someone can claim degrees he doesn't have, but I understand that once things go past certain point there is no turning back. Can he really say now that he doesn't have university degree he was claiming or that he is not a Master of Sports? He is sort of moving away from it - Master of Sports is now replaced by Chairman after his name.

In one Russian article the guy talked in detail about inconsistencies in Pavel's biography. But then he said, it's completely irrelevant to what Pavel is now doing for sport and fitness. I agree. Good luck, brother.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 am

Freido is such a ballbag it's wild.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Fredo is the guardian of moral purity.

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:26 pm

It's actually much worse than that. He knows it's bullshit, he knows Pavel is a liar, he knows he's obfuscating; he is the classic middle manager fanatically defending his pathetic mid-tier mediocrity in the tiny StronkFirst pecking order. Just an out and out pube-faced serial soyprick.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 am

Against the long standing tradition I am not going to argue a single word in your post. Fredo has no choice: his employment is tied with the very existence of SF and Pavel's wellbeing. Hence triple effort to prove his worth to the owner.

It also the reason he is an avid guardian of "secret teachings". Once one poster asked for comments of his deadlift technique. According to several replies it was fine, give or take some small stuff. Fredo's answer was along the lines of "in spite what others say this is not what StrongFirst teaches, others may teach different way, but our philosophy is different". When asked to elaborate on his reply was "I am not going to make SF easy for you. Hire a coach or go to a seminar". His reaction to my predictable reply to his shit was equally predictable...

SubClaw

Post by SubClaw » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 am

Sangoma wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:41 am
Against the long standing tradition I am not going to argue a single word in your post. Fredo has no choice: his employment is tied with the very existence of SF and Pavel's wellbeing. Hence triple effort to prove his worth to the owner.

It also the reason he is an avid guardian of "secret teachings". Once one poster asked for comments of his deadlift technique. According to several replies it was fine, give or take some small stuff. Fredo's answer was along the lines of "in spite what others say this is not what StrongFirst teaches, others may teach different way, but our philosophy is different". When asked to elaborate on his reply was "I am not going to make SF easy for you. Hire a coach or go to a seminar". His reaction to my predictable reply to his shit was equally predictable...
Fredo is a world-class cunt, but I still can't see the difference between SF's "my way or the highway" approach and, say, Rip's.

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:32 pm

No difference, and Rippetoe is as much of a cunt. Worse, actually, as he thinks he knows absolutely everything, from coaching USA National weightlifting team to chronic fatigue syndrome to episiotomy.