Qigong/Tai Chi for Regular Guys

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Dave

Re: Qigong/Tai Chi for Regular Guys

Post by Dave » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:35 am

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Dave wrote:open one eye & look.
You're supposed to keep your eyes closed during qigong practice? I stare straight ahead at a spot on the wall.

I use a timer btw.
I always do standing with my eyes closed if I'm doing moving QiGong eyes are open
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

ultracool

Post by ultracool » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:28 pm

I think the IMA approach to standing is you do it with eyes open. You are training to go into no mind when you are confronted by a life and death situation. Ken Cohen says do it eyes open.
How many Keynesians does it take to replace a lightbulb? 2, 1 to screw it in and another to have broken it in the 1st place.

ultracool

Post by ultracool » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:30 pm

I find the art and design in Lam Kam Chuen's books to be distracting from the good info that's contained in them.
How many Keynesians does it take to replace a lightbulb? 2, 1 to screw it in and another to have broken it in the 1st place.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
You're supposed to keep your eyes closed during qigong practice? I stare straight ahead at a spot on the wall.

I use a timer btw.
For what it is worth, I find standing meditation much easier and effective if rather than staring at a point on the wall, I soften my gaze. This means allowing my peripheral vision to come into play. Perhaps picking a spot on a wall has the same effect. Being mindful of the peripheral is often a quick route to relaxation whether standing, walking, or sitting.

Just a thought.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:17 pm

onealjn wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:

I use a timer btw.
I soften my gaze. This means allowing my peripheral vision to come into play.
It evolves to this quickly.

LG Elf Ftr/Wizard 7/17
Gunny

Post by LG Elf Ftr/Wizard 7/17 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:46 am

Well, I've started with standing Wu Chi and Holding the Balloon from The Way of Energy. We'll see where this leads.
Senator Ted Kennedy, just five years after Chappaquiddick (criticizing President Gerald Ford's pardon of Richard Nixon): "Is there one system of justice for the average citizen and another system for the high and mighty?"

Trip

Post by Trip » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:28 am

keep with it and good luck.

DrDonkeyLove
Sergeant Commanding

Post by DrDonkeyLove » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Token Hetero wrote:Well, I've started with standing Wu Chi and Holding the Balloon from The Way of Energy. We'll see where this leads.
Good luck. I'm finding that it's an exercise of the will and the mind every bit as much as an exercise of the body. I read a quote from Chuang Tzu recently that says, "If you cannot keep your body still, you will not be able to keep your mind still. A restless body leads to a restless mind, that races off in all directions."

The visualization and attention to relaxation and detail are much more of a challenge to me than the physical aspects of the practice at this stage. I can't speak to what's up with chi but I believe that this practice can be deep and many layered. I particularly like it just before bed.
Mao wrote:Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party

Freki
Sgt. Major

Post by Freki » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:41 pm

I find closing my eyes and focusing on the breathing makes the time pass more quickly. I usually have either the radio or a TV on.

Mickey, at one point in my log you commented on the clearing of the mind being difficult and I gave a smartass answer. What I really do is the above and get a mental image of being outside, usually scenes from where I grew up in Nebraska (trees, hills, grassland), in the nearby park or images in a calendar I have at work (lots of what looks to be West Coast seashore, Rocky Mtns).

BTW, if anyone is in the Baltimore area, there's a kumbahya, granola bookstore at Belvedere Square that I've seen a Way of Energy copy at for about $6. May have other resources mentioned at discounted prices.
"The reason that 'guru' is such a popular word is because 'charlatan' is so hard to spell."
@GSElevator: Can we please stop calling them hipsters and go back to calling them pussies?
Blood eagles solve everything.

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:25 pm

I just downloaded a folder containing the following:

* Ba Gua - Hidden Knowledge in the Taoist Internal Martial Art
* Dim Mak - How Chi Is Used In Dim Mak Pressure Point Defence
* Qi Gong - Chi-Kung Developmend and Practial Applications In Wing Chun Kung Fu
* Qi Gong - Chinese Qigong For Home Healing
* Qi Gong - Correspondence Program
* Qi Gong - Dr. Jwing-Ming Yang - The Secret of Youth
* Qi Gong - Exercise Set - Nine Movements
* Qi Gong - Hunyuan Qigong - Feng Zhiqiang
* Qi Gong - Lam Kam Chuen - The Way of Energy
* Qi Gong - Lam Kam Chuen - The Way of Power
* Qi Gong - Scott Baker - Chi Kung in Wing Chun Kung Fu
* Qi Gong - Soaring Crane Qigong Remedy 2 - Discharging Substances From Liver
* Qi Gong - Tiet Sin (Iron Thread)
* Tai Chi Chuan - Chinese Self Healing (Yang Style)
* Tai Chi Chuan - Gah Gee - Wu Style Tai Chi
* Tai Chi Chuan - Tai Chi As A Fighting Art
* Tai Chi Chuan - The Art of Tai Chi
* Tai Chi Chuan - The Tai Chi Manual
* Tai Chi Chuan - Tinn Chan Lee - Wu Style Of Tai Chi Chuan
* Tai Chi Chuan - Yang Jwing-Ming - The Essence of Tai Chi Chi Kung

are any of these worth a shit? where do I start? The Way of Energy seems like the consensus starting point...

if anyone wants these, there is probably a way to distribute them.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 pm

I'd be interested in getting some of Lammy's "Way of Power". Hell, I'd like to take a look at all of that. Distribute that shit nigga!

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:I'd be interested in getting some of Lammy's "Way of Power". Hell, I'd like to take a look at all of that. Distribute that shit nigga!

nigro, please.

I'm game to send the stuff to someone if they feel like posting it up. I don't have any webspace. I'm sure some or all of them violate copyrights or whatever, so if no one wants to host it, I'll get unlazy this weekend and throw it up on ysi or soemthing.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:09 am

jimmystyle wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:I'd be interested in getting some of Lammy's "Way of Power". Hell, I'd like to take a look at all of that. Distribute that shit nigga!

nigro, please.

I'm game to send the stuff to someone if they feel like posting it up. I don't have any webspace. I'm sure some or all of them violate copyrights or whatever, so if no one wants to host it, I'll get unlazy this weekend and throw it up on ysi or soemthing.
Dave, you up for posting this?

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 am

ZZZzzzzzzzz....

Oh umm dude yeah ok. Sure

Email me what you have & I'll put it up

daveIGXATgmailDOTcom
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:27 am

If it's not cool I'll understand. I guess I should've asked Mario anyway.

Dave

Post by Dave » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:53 pm

no that's fine I can put them on my server with the other stuff

jimmystyle
PFC

Post by jimmystyle » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:45 am

ugh.

my isp is blocking my attempts at throwing this onto a free upload server.

Dave, I didn't want to email you because its 146 megs and it will probably just bog down your email.

I'm going to see what I can do about my uploading....in the meantime, if anyone has access to the Demonoid.com bittorrent tracker, you can download it there. If you old bastards have no idea what I'm talking about, just ignore the last part.