Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Rant

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Rant

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:40 am

http://moynihaninstitute.com/

I wouldn't give up weightlifting and handleballs but it seems that the Bikram is treating him right. I don't see why you have to give up the weights and heavy bag but he knows his body better than I do. Of course I don't know it at all. I've been wanting to try the Bikram myself.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Re: Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Banned

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:52 am

How do you edit the post heading? I meant Rant instead of Banned.

Dave

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:How do you edit the post heading? I meant Rant instead of Banned.
Fixed it for you Mickey
Fat Cat wrote: People have never really seen true mastery, so they don't even know that they don't have it.

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:How do you edit the post heading? I meant Rant instead of Banned.
You can edit the same way you edit your message text. Just change the subject.

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Re: Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Rant

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:34 pm

Standard Rant pattern. Wait three months he'll be back to doing CF and the Zone diet.

"Kettlequeers are gay, I use the barbells!!!!"
"I love kettlebells!!! ETK 4 Evah!!!"
"I can't look at my KBs, I love yoga!!!!"
"I heart cock."
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

ultracool

Post by ultracool » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:34 pm

You get hot as hell when you do ashtanga and you don't need a heated studio.

I guess the reality is, ashtanga is a bitch and the general public likes Bikrum.
How many Keynesians does it take to replace a lightbulb? 2, 1 to screw it in and another to have broken it in the 1st place.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:40 pm

What SPELLS said.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Hagbard
Sgt. Major

Post by Hagbard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:41 pm

April Fool's?
?

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Thanks Dave. You as well onealjn.

dalexan242
Gunny

Post by dalexan242 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

I'm not sure I follow why he thinks it's necessary to go to such extremes to where you can only do one form of exercise at a single time, but I have to say that I have come to a personal happy place by acknowledging that I just don't have it in me to try to 'lift heavy' anymore. I'm far more concerned with trying to get to a pain-free place so I can maintain and improve my overall level of "general fitness" that will allow me to have an active life to where I can do some stuff with my son as he grows up. I still have all kinds of goals to improve my fitness, but just don't see the point of trying to get back to where I can squat or deadlift a bunch of wheels. I would like to get healthy enough that I could enjoy some form of martial art again, or at least take up golf.

The best way to improve overall fitness seems to be to incorporate a little bit of everything-- low rep weights, high rep KBs/callisthenics, yoga, running, joint mobility. As with pretty much everything else in life-- everything in moderation, nothing to excess.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:54 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Standard Rant pattern. Wait three months he'll be back to doing CF and the Zone diet.

"I heart cock."
For some reason I believe he is genuine. I just think he gets caught up in whatever he is doing at the moment and says that's it, no need for anything else. I think it's smart what he's doing to get his body back right but there's no need to give up weights. Just cycle the yoga or use it as a supplement. Or make yoga the focus and throw in a couple of days of weights once the dings are all fixed. You still need some form of strength training. Especially as you age. That's why old people fall and break their hips. No strength.

ultracool wrote:You get hot as hell when you do ashtanga and you don't need a heated studio.

I guess the reality is, ashtanga is a bitch and the general public likes Bikrum.
I love astanga and you do work up quite a sweat (like I did this a.m.) but the Bikram sounds like it would be a real challenge as well. Definitely something I am planning on doing.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:55 pm

dalexan242 wrote:The best way to improve overall fitness seems to be to incorporate a little bit of everything-- low rep weights, high rep KBs/callisthenics, yoga, running, joint mobility. As with pretty much everything else in life-- everything in moderation, nothing to excess.
Yes. Don't forget JS bands and Mannatech!

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Mickey O'neil wrote:
Grandpa's Spells wrote:Standard Rant pattern. Wait three months he'll be back to doing CF and the Zone diet.

"I heart cock."
For some reason I believe he is genuine. I just think he gets caught up in whatever he is doing at the moment and says that's it, no need for anything else.
Correct, but that means he's always wrong, even by his own standard, 12-24 weeks later.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:11 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:
Mickey O'neil wrote:

"I heart cock."
For some reason I believe he is genuine. I just think he gets caught up in whatever he is doing at the moment and says that's it, no need for anything else.
Correct, but that means he's always wrong, even by his own standard, 12-24 weeks later.
He's genuine ala Bill Fox.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

ledfistaco
Gunny

Post by ledfistaco » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:12 pm

Why ain't people just doing yoga at home with long underwear and sweat pants on to get their hot on?

Shaun B. O'Murnecan
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Shaun B. O'Murnecan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:16 pm

ledfist wrote:Why ain't people just doing yoga at home with long underwear and sweat pants on to get their hot on?
Proabably fewer hot bitches that way. Yoga classes for the most part are buyers' markets.

cleaner464
Sgt. Major

Post by cleaner464 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Rant reads a lot like the way I was when I realized that my love of lifting heavy weights was actually destroying my body. I looked like a beast, but I had so many aches and pains that I could barely move.

The healthiest I've ever been was when I just ran and did a lot of Iyengar yoga. I was light and mobile. I had NO aches and pains. However, my ego got the better of me, and I was back at the weights two years later.
“Attached hereto is a copy of Mr. Trump’s birth certificate, demonstrating that he is the son of Fred Trump, not an orangutan,”

ultracool

Post by ultracool » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:39 pm

ledfist wrote:Why ain't people just doing yoga at home with long underwear and sweat pants on to get their hot on?
Ashtanga and Bikrim get a lot hotter than that. It's good because you can push way further into the poses.

Ashtanga is like a sauna. I love it. I find it to be meditative because it's very hard to think about other stuff.
How many Keynesians does it take to replace a lightbulb? 2, 1 to screw it in and another to have broken it in the 1st place.

ultracool

Post by ultracool » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 pm

dalexan242 wrote:I'm not sure I follow why he thinks it's necessary to go to such extremes to where you can only do one form of exercise at a single time, but I have to say that I have come to a personal happy place by acknowledging that I just don't have it in me to try to 'lift heavy' anymore. I'm far more concerned with trying to get to a pain-free place so I can maintain and improve my overall level of "general fitness" that will allow me to have an active life to where I can do some stuff with my son as he grows up. I still have all kinds of goals to improve my fitness, but just don't see the point of trying to get back to where I can squat or deadlift a bunch of wheels. I would like to get healthy enough that I could enjoy some form of martial art again, or at least take up golf.

The best way to improve overall fitness seems to be to incorporate a little bit of everything-- low rep weights, high rep KBs/callisthenics, yoga, running, joint mobility. As with pretty much everything else in life-- everything in moderation, nothing to excess.
This is a good post. The only things worth knocking yourself out for is the eastern stuff. They have the track record of preserving health and athleticism into old age.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 pm

cleaner464 wrote:Rant reads a lot like the way I was when I realized that my love of lifting heavy weights was actually destroying my body. I looked like a beast, but I had so many aches and pains that I could barely move.

The healthiest I've ever been was when I just ran and did a lot of Iyengar yoga. I was light and mobile. I had NO aches and pains. However, my ego got the better of me, and I was back at the weights two years later.
You are/were an oly lifter and coach, right cleaner? Seems to me a good plan for someone would be the above, or some variation, plus the 2 day a week lifting routine from DJ's "From the Gound Up". I'm referring to an oly lifter. Another person could just substitute the type of lifting they enjoy.

Edit: All of this is aimed at your average middle age to older person.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:59 pm

ultracool wrote:The only things worth knocking yourself out for is the eastern stuff. They have the track record of preserving health and athleticism into old age.
Along with this.

As a matter of fact I believe cqc10 does what dalexan242 talked about in his post along with the eastern stuff. He doesn't post a log though so I wouldn't know for sure!

TomFurman
Sergeant Commanding

Post by TomFurman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:06 pm

SteveC mentioned he was doing Bikram and enjoyed the results. He's very flexible already, but liked the "locked leg" of the standing poses. As we spoke on the phone once, he was finishing a OTW set, then off to Bikram to unwind.

It's enjoyable to have someone else tell you what to do,,.. self coaching has lots of limitations.

--Tom
"There is only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". - - Captain America

Fat Cat
Jesus Christ®

Post by Fat Cat » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 pm

cleaner464 wrote:Rant reads a lot like the way I was when I realized that my love of lifting heavy weights was actually destroying my body. I looked like a beast, but I had so many aches and pains that I could barely move.

Yeah; if you enjoy weights and being very strong, more power to you. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that at least some people aren't designed for it.
"Prepare your hearts as a fortress, for there will be no other." -Francisco Pizarro González

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Rant put up some really good KB numbers. Did he feel the KBs were too wearing on his his rickety 40 some year old body? Is he planning a return to KBs or has he written that off?

Curious, because, as I say, his numbers were impressive.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:28 pm

Another great option or way to set up a training program is the "4" program of Sonnon's. You don't have to use weighted handleballs either. You could do weights and have a low rep and high rep day and with cals you can have a strength and strength endurance day, etc.