Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Rant

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

Mr Clean
Gunny

Re: Thoughts on functional fitness and Bikram yoga by Rant

Post by Mr Clean » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:16 pm

This type of training theory has kept me in the game for several years. 44yoa. I dont get all the bouncing about. Just be consistant.

http://www.milfitmag.com/sample/page.php?id=2

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Banned wrote:Besides, if you have the time and resources, what's wrong with trying something different? Sticking with an exercise plan that becomes drudgery is foolish; change is not.
Exactly correct. To what end makes it necessary for someone that age to stay as Stosh says "amazingly focused" in training to the point where it is necessary to have to work around aches and pains, ect? While stepping onto a platform and competing is commendable, it is clearly not his focus. On that note,not only is training for 'health and wellness' no less commendable than training for a Masters PL meet or BB competition, there comes a point in our lives where it is actually the more responsible thing to do.

Fuck, I'm getting old.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:40 pm

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:
Banned wrote:Besides, if you have the time and resources, what's wrong with trying something different? Sticking with an exercise plan that becomes drudgery is foolish; change is not.
Exactly correct. To what end makes it necessary for someone that age to stay as Stosh says "amazingly focused" in training to the point where it is necessary to have to work around aches and pains, ect? While stepping onto a platform and competing is commendable, it is clearly not his focus. On that note,not only is training for 'health and wellness' no less commendable than training for a Masters PL meet or BB competition, there comes a point in our lives where it is actually the more responsible thing to do.

Fuck, I'm getting old.
Read Beefy's log. That's focus. It's not cookie-cutter repetition. It's the same basic stuff tweaked a bit here and there, harder and easier at times. Read GG's logs. That's amazing focus, and he's working around serious aches and pains and staying freaky strong and seemingly healthy.

Program hopping is not the best road to anything, including health and wellness.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Read Beefy's log. That's focus.
Agreed Beefy is badass. He has replaced the ABfoxgod as my hero.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:47 pm

stosh wrote:Read GG's logs. That's amazing focus, and he's working around serious aches and pains and staying freaky strong and seemingly healthy.
Perhaps this is semantics, but Eddie's Training Log has always been brimming with variety in terms of exercise. KB work, BB work, BW work, Eliptical work, Bag work. A while back, I distinctly recall Eddie telling me that he pretty much trains for whatever he feels he 'needs'--very 'unprogram' if you will. Training for what he needs is what Rant appears to be doing.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:50 pm

Trip wrote:
Yes, Beefheart is badass and I am happy for him and his progress. AbG-d is another prime example of fellow in his late 40's getting it done by winging it. I daresay Maxwell is another.

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Yes, Beefheart is badass and I am happy for him and his progress. AbG-d is another prime example of fellow in his late 40's getting it done by winging it. I daresay Maxwell is another.
Disagee my high velocity amigo. Not to take anything away from Maxwell or Fox, but the Beefmeister started out at a totally different place.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:06 pm

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:Perhaps this is semantics, but Eddie's Training Log has always been brimming with variety in terms of exercise. KB work, BB work, BW work, Eliptical work, Bag work. A while back, I distinctly recall Eddie telling me that he pretty much trains for whatever he feels he 'needs'--very 'unprogram' if you will. Training for what he needs is what Rant appears to be doing.
Nah. Despite changes in implements, Eddie always seems to stick to press, pull, swing, adding and subtracting things like the weighted eliptical work. That was my point. There's variety within a framework. I doubt he'd do a year of Crossfit, then say that sux and do a year of KB timed sets, then say that sux and do a year of yoga. Saying that GG's changes are comparable to Rant's change is muy loco.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm

Nice quote stosh, you have inspired me.

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:19 pm

stosh wrote:Saying that GG's changes are comparable to Rant's change is muy loco.
I'm not saying how they make the changes are comparable, but the 'why' behind doing so is. As far as Rant saying a training protocol is amazing and then saying is sux, well that's just Rant being a shitstirring assclown on the internets, IMHO and I think he is too smart and experienced to truly think that way. Even elements of [email protected] or GS are rational and will work for awhile.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Stosh,

You’re a colossal douche bag incapable of seeing what I’m trying to accomplish. What have you ever competed in beside a few raw PL meets and numerous circle jerks? You stay at it for 30 plus years and get some real responsibilities in your life junior and then tell me about focus and determination you cunt. Better yet why don’t you put some motherfucking weight on bar and then talk to me about training.

From Stosh’s log:
Sq 115 x 5, 165 x 3, 205 x 3/3
Push press 125 x 3/3

Pfft. Are you kidding me? I was topping that shit when I was 13.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm getting way off topic, but speaking from my own experiences, the biggest reason for changing programs or training approaches is not aches and pains, it's that the progress curve flattens out significantly.

DikTracy6000
Sgt. Major

Post by DikTracy6000 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:33 pm

Trip wrote:
Beef's a Juicer.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Rant wrote:Pfft. Are you kidding me? I was topping that shit when I was 13.
And now you're doing yoga because you hurt. You're one smart dude.

Trip

Post by Trip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Beef's a Juicer.
I KNEW IT!

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:54 pm

stosh wrote:
Rant wrote:Pfft. Are you kidding me? I was topping that shit when I was 13.
And now you're doing yoga because you hurt. You're one smart dude.
Rant can certainly handle himself, so this is not in his defense, but you said this, Stosh:

B*I*N*G*O. There are plenty of old farts here with a host of ailments that stay amazingly focused. You can work around something within what you're doing as well as completely bailing, Rant-style.

So are the other amazingly focused old farts with hosts of ailments not smart because they hurt?

Working around some sort of injury is completely unnecessary if you are not a competitive athlete, period. If Yoga is the quickest path to the guy getting better, then he's a lot smarter for doing that than finding some work around so he can complete an ETK cycle or whateverthefuck.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:05 pm

My point, Nappy, was that Rani was bragging out of one corner of his mouth about his lifting feats when he was thirteen, whilst out of the other corner complaining about how he hurts.

The other old farts aren't working thru pain, they have modified what they do to where the pain isn't an issue anymore. GG's knee is fucked. So did he switch to water aerobics? No, he sticks to deads and swings and avoid squats and loses a bunch of weight. That's smart. Rant is not.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:11 pm

stosh wrote:I'm getting way off topic, but speaking from my own experiences, the biggest reason for changing programs or training approaches is not aches and pains, it's that the progress curve flattens out significantly.
So how many more years of squating 205 for 3 reps before you change your program?

The Venerable Bogatir X
Supreme Martian Overlord

Post by The Venerable Bogatir X » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:23 pm

stosh wrote: The other old farts aren't working thru pain, they have modified what they do to where the pain isn't an issue anymore. GG's knee is fucked. So did he switch to water aerobics? No, he sticks to deads and swings and avoid squats and loses a bunch of weight. That's smart. Rant is not.
My recollection is that he had knee issues long before we were all excited about the Pentium II and the DD forum back in the olden days. While DL and swings were better for him than squats, I recall him being very regimented about icing to prevent his knees from locking up after training. My point being there was pain management. It was after he went to zero carbs that his knee issues improved, not as a result of modifying training. Rant switching from ETK to Yoga, if that's the shortest path to getting better, is the wisest choice and there is no shame in making that switch, not to mention the fact that the work done in this type of Yoga is certainly no less intense.

The Real Rant
Anal Sadist

Post by The Real Rant » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:28 pm

stosh wrote: The other old farts aren't working thru pain, they have modified what they do to where the pain isn't an issue anymore. GG's knee is fucked. So did he switch to water aerobics? No, he sticks to deads and swings and avoid squats and loses a bunch of weight. That's smart. Rant is not.

Stosh is beginning to confuse himself even further. So some old fart has knee problems and stops squatting and that’s smart. The injury is still there. He just doesn’t use those muscles anymore. I have knee problems; stop squatting with barbells and squat through yoga poses thereby healing the imbalances that I incurred after so many years of hard barbell squatting and I’m a dumb ass? So what happens after someone hurts their lower back doing deads? Do they now avoid deads and squats and focus on presses? And then what happens after they impinge their shoulder? On to curls? You can’t possibly be this dumb. This must be an act. After all I can see you’re a big fan of Thoreau. Do you have to move your lips whilst reading the big words used in Walden?

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:51 pm

Rant wrote:So how many more years of squating 205 for 3 reps before you change your program?
Pud,

I can squat more than 205. That's why I said "Light day" in the post you copied. I've never bragged at all about my strength.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:55 pm

High Velocity Lie-Nap! wrote:Rant switching from ETK to Yoga, if that's the shortest path to getting better, is the wisest choice and there is no shame in making that switch, not to mention the fact that the work done in this type of Yoga is certainly no less intense.
Napster,

If you think making wholesale changes in programs is the way to go, have at it. For me, I disagree. It's the easiest 'out', and it's the hardest way to know if you're ever progressing.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Rant wrote:Do you have to move your lips whilst reading the big words used in Walden?
Ouch. You're witty.

Dano

Post by Dano » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Does anyone REALLY train in PL, OL, Highland Games, KB's, @Fit, running, biking, hiking, climbing, etc. without expecting injury? I take it as a personal point of pride that I have yet to reach my late 20's and I'm a walking, talking pile of scar tissued, aching, paining, groaning piece of shit. Makes you feel alive! <<<<q
All a man has is his word and to keep himself free.

seeahill
Font of All Wisdom, God Damn it

Post by seeahill » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Dano wrote:Does anyone REALLY train in PL, OL, Highland Games, KB's, @Fit, running, biking, hiking, climbing, etc. without expecting injury? I take it as a personal point of pride that I have yet to reach my late 20's and I'm a walking, talking pile of scar tissued, aching, paining, groaning piece of shit. Makes you feel alive! <<<<q
Dano,
You may see it differently 40 years later. I workout to keep my strength and balance. Training for a walking marathon keeps my weight down and keeps me in shape for work, which involves a lot of backpacking or kayaking kind of stuff.

I heal slower than a used to, so injuries are particularly annoying, and I try to avoid them.

You can move the refrigerator down five flights of stairs. I'll supervise.