What I learned at the Charles Poliquin Fat Loss Seminar

An archive of helpful advice compiled by IGer's.

Moderators: Dux, Gav

M Mahler

Post by M Mahler » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:07 pm

By Nathan Donahue

These are the notes that I took from the Charles Poliquin Seminar that I attended on November 13, 2005. He certainly has some different takes on fitness than people are used to.

Snippets

If over 10% body fat for a man, or over 15-20% for a woman, you are fat.

The stronger your immune system, the easier it is to gain muscle and lose fat.

The more insulin you produce, the faster you age.

The best predictor of lifespan is muscle mass and strength

Supplements

Omega 3 Fatty Acids from pharmaceutical grade fish oils are the most valuable supplement you can take. The subject should take 15g/day for two weeks if deficient, then reduce the dosage to 5g/day indefinitely after that. Fish oils will help burn fat and prevent fat gain. They improve serotonin levels (mood), make it easier to move nutrients in and out of cell walls, reduce joint inflammation, decrease the amount of sugar your body will absorb, improves blood pressure and decrease insulin output when taken with a meal. You should take it throughout the day and rotate your source of EFA’s every 10 days. Krill Oil is the best source as it also eliminates PMS and you don’t need high doses of this type of oil.

(Note from Mike Mahler: For an alternative to Fish Oil, I recommend Udo's Choice Oil With DHA. You can get it at Whole Food's and most health food stores)

Fat people should not consume carbs post-workout. The best Post workout drink for a 200lb overweight man is: Whey Isolate 60g +
Glutamine 20-80g + Glycine 20g. This will replenish glycogen while preventing fat gain.

Licorice Root Cream can be rubbed on the abdominal as it will aid in burning fat from the stomach. The trade name is called Glycgel.

Adaptogens such as Red Korean Ginseng can help you recuperate from stress and tough workouts. Rhodiola Rosea is a very powerful adaptogen; take it when you need energy. It is a Cortisol Modulator, meaning that if your cortisol is too low it will help you raise it and if too high, it will help you lower it. Take only 1 tab per day, as it is very potent. Stevia is a natural sweetener and a great adrenal recovery aid. Cold Fx is also a surprisingly good product. It is good for adrenaline glands, fat loss, decreasing insulin output, and regenerates the pancreas.

To help men raise testosterone Charles recommends the following. Zinc is low in all active men and plays an important role in test production. Zinc arginic is best, no more than 30mg/day. Holy Basil (supplement that is available at http://www.charlespoliquin.com also helps raise testosterone.

As for estrogen, DIM is a strong anti-estrogen that specifically targets the bad estrogens caused by phyto-estrogens in our environment.

R-ALA is anabolic and promotes fat burning, only the R for is good, the S form of ALA is counter productive. It is an anti-oxidant that also
promotes glucose transport into muscle cells. As well it Increases the metabolic rate and decreases insulin output.

Acetyl-L-Carnitine is a healthy stimulant; it also improves memory and is anti-aging for the brain. It too increases insulin sensitivity.

Charles recommends that one uses a good multi-vitamin when attempting to lose fat as fat loss releases toxins that are stored in your
fat and your body will need all the vitamins and minerals it can get to fight these toxins.

Estrogen “16” is a bad form of estrogen in our bodies that we want to eliminate, supplements that combat estrogen “16” are Broccoli extract,
DIM and Green Tea

Taurine is an amino acid that increases insulin sensitivity, increases cell communication, and increase carb metabolism.

Magnesium Chelates are the key to preventing diabetes; everyone who is active is deficient in it, and it is this deficiency that creates
diabetes. Magnesium also increases insulin sensitivity. One should Rotate the types of Mag, just make sure they all end in “ate”. Take it
after 4:00pm, as it will improve your sleep.

All stimulants raise cortisol, which is bad so use them sensibly. As for the fat burning supplement ephedrine, you do not need much
ephedrine (8mg) to stimulate fat burning.

If asparagus makes your urine smell you are deficient in Vitamin B9 and B12. Taking these B vitamins will help prevent Alzheimer’s

Training

High intensity interval training burns more calories overall than long slow cardio. The bulk of these calories are burned post exercise.Intervals should consist of 40 sec – 2 min on, and 1 minute off. These sessions should last a max of 42 minutes total including warm-up. The bad news is that the workouts must be very intense, as the subject must get to nausea in order to produce enough lactic acid. Luckily 2 sessions per week is all that is needed to lose fat at a noticeable rate. The catch is that velocity without resistance is useless, so going really fast is not the answer. Working really hard against resistance is the solution.

Continuous aerobic work (long jogs) raises cortisol, which in turn makes you fatter in the long run. So don’t bother doing it unless it is
sport specific training.

For strength training, vary the program every 25 days; everything works, but only for a short time. Vary the exercises often so you overload the muscles at different points. You must surprise the muscles with something new in order to force it to adapt. Other possible changes include rest time, muscle grouping, tempo, etc.

Diet

Approximately 75% of people are carb intolerant and should not be eating grains; the grains are getting people fat. The first step is to get the Omega 3’s in balance by taking hi-quality fish oils. You must eat protein with every meal even breakfast. A meat and nut breakfast will make you leaner even if you do not change the rest of your diet. It is best if you rotate the meat each breakfast. Eat 6-7 meals per day with protein plus smart fats in every meal.

A long-term low carbohydrate diet is the solution for fat people even after they have lost the fat. To begin the diet, eat only meat, fish, eggs, cheese and vegetables (50g of carbs per day or less). Follow this diet for 14 days then have a cheat day, eat whatever you want for the entire day. Return to the ultra low carb diet and have a cheat meal (one sitting) every 4th or 5th day.

Once you are starting to lean out you can add berries to the diet. They are strong antioxidants and low glycemic.As you get leaner still you can introduce the Orange family of fruits. As you get leaner again you can add Plums, nectarines, peaches and apples. Then grapes and bananas. Then the root vegetables such as yams, and sweet potatoes. Then rice, the darker the better The last food to add is grains, and it should never be added for those that are carb intolerant. (If eating carbs made you fat) A no or low gluten diet is a good thing, it interferes with reaction time. Stick with this diet 80% of the time and you will do fine and not stressed out by it. Eat more vegetables.

Do not eat Peanut Butter, even the natural kind; it contains a mould that has phyto-estrogens in it.

Fructose syrup is the most fattening food we know of and it ages you must avoid it at all costs.

Have your cheat meal late in the day instead of early when you are likely to keep eating bad the rest of the day. The best cheat meals
have some nutritional value

Fatty foods have a reputation for causing bad health but it is carbs that raise cholesterol and bad blood lipids

Make sure you visit Nathan's site at: http://www.kettlebellplanet.blogspot.com

For more info on Charles Poliquin, go to http://www.charlespoliquin.com

Hamper

Re: What I learned at the Charles Poliquin Fat Loss Seminar

Post by Hamper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:24 pm

A meat and nut breakfast will make you leaner even if you do not change the rest of your diet.
But not peanuts, they'll give you boobies!
Do not eat Peanut Butter, even the natural kind; it contains a mould that has phyto-estrogens in it.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:05 am

Hamper wrote:
A meat and nut breakfast will make you leaner even if you do not change the rest of your diet.
They're also not nuts.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

Hamper

Post by Hamper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:15 am

Pinky wrote:
Hamper wrote:
They're also not nuts.
True

newguy

Post by newguy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:26 pm

Continuous aerobic work (long jogs) raises cortisol, which in turn makes you fatter in the long run. So don’t bother doing it unless it is
sport specific training.
I just do not believe that this is true. Too many people have lost weight by doing things like cutting calories and adding things like walking, jogging, cycling, etc. How come it works for them?

If you are a 36 year old, sedentary female, what would be wrong with starting for an hour of walking a day and dieting?

Then converting slowly to rotating an hour of walking with jogging?

Then working up to running for 45 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace?

Then pushing to running a 10K in 40 minutes? Or a 5K in 21 or so?

Who would not lose weight doing this? Or in other words, who would get fatter?

Not trying to be an a** hole, I just really do not understand. What is the difference between what I am describing and what Charles P. is talking about?

M Mahler

Post by M Mahler » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:10 pm

"I just do not believe that this is true. Too many people have lost weight by doing things like cutting calories and adding things like walking, jogging, cycling, etc. How come it works for them?

If you are a 36 year old, sedentary female, what would be wrong with starting for an hour of walking a day and dieting?

Then converting slowly to rotating an hour of walking with jogging?

Then working up to running for 45 minutes at a 10 minute mile pace?

Then pushing to running a 10K in 40 minutes? Or a 5K in 21 or so?

Who would not lose weight doing this? Or in other words, who would get fatter?

Not trying to be an a** hole, I just really do not understand. What is the difference between what I am describing and what Charles P. is talking about?[/quote]

You bring up an interesting point. And on cardio and cortisol, all forms of exercise raise cortisol not just cardio. What is more important than what exercise you do is to make sure that you balance what you do with restoration to keep cortisol at bay.

That said I do not think that lots of cardio is the best way to lose fat. Building as much muscle as possible and cleaning up the diet is an unbeatable combination. Cardio should still be done for heart health etc but people that only do cardio are generally skinny fat kind of like a lot of the strippers here in vegas ;-)

Mike

Sofa King

Post by Sofa King » Thu May 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Glad you posted this Mike.

I remember reading it a while back and the Poliquin quote on Asparagus struck me as odd. From what we've learned in the ALCAR/ALA thread, asparagus makes everyone's pee stink. Some are just genetically unable to smell it. Therefore, Poliquin just sounds like another crazed French-Canadian trying to sell more vitamins.
WGM wrote:Fall off a chinup bar, drop a barbell on your head, or piss yourself at the bottom of a squat and the Internet will never forget you.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Sun May 18, 2008 4:57 pm

M Mahler wrote:What I learned at the Charles Poliquin Fat Loss Seminar
The best predictor of lifespan is muscle mass and strength.
Is there any basis for this?
The average lifespan of an NFL player is roughly 53 years. Aren't those guys massive & strong?
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B. Yeats

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Sun May 18, 2008 5:40 pm

johno wrote:
The average lifespan of an NFL player is roughly 53 years.
Good god. Is this true? Where did you get it from?
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

Pinky
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Pinky » Mon May 19, 2008 12:29 am

GoDogGo! wrote:
johno wrote:
I think steroids, smashing into other men for a living and getting fat after retirement might play a role.
"The biggest problems that we’re facing right now have to do with George Bush trying to bring more and more power into the executive branch and not go through Congress at all."

GoDogGo!
IGX Honorary Lesbian

Post by GoDogGo! » Mon May 19, 2008 12:45 am

Pinky wrote:
GoDogGo! wrote:
johno wrote:
I think steroids, smashing into other men for a living and getting fat after retirement might play a role.
It's obvious it's an incredibly abusive life; I was just wondering where he got that number and if it is correct.
The flesh is weak, and the smell of pussy is strong like a muthafucka.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon May 19, 2008 1:04 am

The Seattle Post Intelligencer did the story this week. 53 is the low end of the range, which varies by position & number of years in the game, IIRC.

Edit: here it is - http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/ ... lth09.html
COMPARING LIFE EXPECTANCY

53-59

Average for an NFL retiree, depending on playing position, according to cardiologist Jeffrey Boone.

Average for U.S. men overall, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
I would like to see the source for the "strength & mass = longevity" claim.

W.B. Yeats

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm

johno wrote:
Of course not. It's completely and utterly fabricated in order to make a cheap buck. Think of the 90+ ers you've ever met or heard of. Almost all of them were beanpole skinny, though perhaps 'wiry' strong. Muscle mass decreases your lifespan, almost as much as adipose mass.

Poliquin invents a lie to sell some books, products, and services and to advance his reputation. Attendees swallow the bullshit hook, line, and sinker. Some people die earlier than they might otherwise as the result. Fitness industry business criminals, each and every one.
My SIG can beat up your SIG.

johno
Sergeant Commanding

Post by johno » Mon May 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Garm wrote: Think of the 90+ ers you've ever met or heard of. Almost all of them were beanpole skinny, though perhaps 'wiry' strong.
Seems right to me.

W.B. Yeats

Grandpa's Spells
Lifetime IGer

Post by Grandpa's Spells » Mon May 19, 2008 1:07 pm

Devany cited a reference a while back that people die of old age once they lose something like 40% of their peak LBM. It sounds like Poliquin took that and jumped to a ridiculous conclusion.
One of the downsides of the Internet is that it allows like-minded people to form communities, and sometimes those communities are stupid.

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Mon May 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Grandpa's Spells wrote:Devany cited a reference a while back that people die of old age once they lose something like 40% of their peak LBM. It sounds like Poliquin took that and jumped to a ridiculous conclusion.
Percentages are always difficult for the arithmetically illiterate. My great-great uncle died at 109 and took care of himself in his own house until the last few months. He weighed 109 when he died, but was never over 160, about 32% total lifetime weight loss. BUT, he weighed about 110 from age 65 on, 20 years longer than I knew him. No loss at all to speak of in almost 40 years, but a 'giant' percentage lifetime loss.

It should be illegal for anyone who cannot parse, debunk, and construct numerical arguments that include seventh grade arithmetic to own a keyboard or pencil. FWIW, Polliquin has always been an idiot. Not even close to his first or most egregious gaffe here.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Mon May 19, 2008 2:26 pm

Garm wrote:Think of the 90+ ers you've ever met or heard of. Almost all of them were beanpole skinny, though perhaps 'wiry' strong.
Speaking purely anecdotally, I can't say I agree with this. The oldest survivors in my family have had a decent amount of muscle mass on them and a fair amount of fat, as well. Of korse, it depends on what those you know are dying from. In my case, there've been more cancers than normal, so the extra meat on the bones was beneficial. I'm not even sure how some beanpoles make it thru chemo and radiation. But even those in my clan that have died of plain old age haven't been too -S-'ish.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Mon May 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Stosh, you need to visit any old folks home in the USA and make a visual quick count. Hardly anybody over 85 is either fat or muscular, and most never have been. With the mean life expectancy sneaking up into the 80s now, we have to look at those sneaking up and past 90 to make any conclusions about longevity.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Mon May 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Garm wrote:Stosh, you need to visit any old folks home in the USA and make a visual quick count. Hardly anybody over 85 is either fat or muscular, and most never have been. With the mean life expectancy sneaking up into the 80s now, we have to look at those sneaking up and past 90 to make any conclusions about longevity.
I can't argue that, G. I was just saying (and recently noticing) that the oldest people of those surrounding me are not skinny, for whatever reason. And it struck me with a couple recent examples that some beef on the bones seems to be a good thing in some cases and with some diseases in later life. I had one doc tell me that a relative of mine would've been dead a year earlier had he not had a good bit of muscle on him. Anecdotes, nothing to base a lifestyle on.
A novice is someone who keeps asking himself if he is a novice. An intermediate is someone who is sick of training with weak people and an advanced person doesn't give a shit anymore. - Jim Wendler

Sangoma
Sergeant Commanding

Post by Sangoma » Tue May 20, 2008 1:38 am

johno wrote:
The average lifespan of an NFL player is roughly 53 years. Aren't those guys massive & strong?
At Clarence Bass' site there is an article showing that strength is major predictor of longevity. The problem is, it is the horse-cart argument, you don't know what comes first. Are strength and longevity genetically connected? In other words, if you are born strong you are likely to live longer. Or is it if you develop strength you will live longer? Nobody knows, and I suspect the opposite is true. The example with football players is the proof. Make Mentzer is another one. There are just too many factors that determine longevity, and pinpointing one (and selling it) is wrong.

Just as in Garm's example, most of very old - over 90 years old - patients I see are skinny. Many of them smoke for decades. So smoking must be predictor of longevity too. :butthead:

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 am

The really old Chinese people I see are never muscular, but have been doing tai chi and walking backwards and their chi kung exercises for half their life.

I have met a couple of 85 to 90 year olds who are insanely fit for their age and they say it is from their soft exercise.

I was talking last summer to one guy, through a translating friend of his, and he was saying that the hard exercise was a waste of life, literally, but that the soft exercise let you live long and healthy.

I have been and continue to be too stupid to really listen, but am getting better.

newguy

Post by newguy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 am

damn double post
Last edited by newguy on Tue May 20, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey O'neil
Lifetime IGer

Post by Mickey O'neil » Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 am

newguy wrote:and he was saying that the hard exercise was a waste of life, literally, but that the soft exercise let you live long and healthy.
I read this somewhere as well.

stosh
Sgt. Major

Post by stosh » Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 am

newguy wrote:The really old Chinese people
Keep in mind that our life expectancy is 6 years longer than the Chinese.

Garm
Sgt. Major

Post by Garm » Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 am

A smart CMA practitioner will spend at least half of his time on exercises that increase energy. Anything that makes you tired is supposed to have a lifespan cost, other exercises counteract that. One subgenre of totally wigged out Taoists who were interested only in longevity did nothing but 'meditate' for this exact reason. The evolution of internal alchemy (the above) from external alchemy (herbalism, eating poison) was quite slow and there never was a definitive hard break, so most liniments still contain 'red sand' and most IMA teachers still prescribe herbal concoctions for ingestion.